Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillatwang View Post
    Google is recording everyone's voices to use on the upcoming robotic army that will destroy the world.

Maybe you'll be torn to bits by an Android with your neighbors voice!
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    meh, "look what we can do"
    I think it is, "meh, look what they did in 2008."

This is not something that we can do. Palm has not hinted that we will ever be able to do it.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Google is showing that the Voice Actions, released last summer, will work on the Nexus S as well.

Many argue that Vlingo is actually dramatically better especially when navigating. It has been out for nearly a year and gets better every month.

Just Type has been available since 2008 in iOS and Android. Android also excels at allowing you to specify exactly what apps and content you wanted to include.

In an office environment or a meeting these are great features. Still people talk many times faster than they type.

Also, how do you reply to a text or email when you are driving? In most states, typing is illegal.

2009 was the big advance in Speech to Text. More commands were added and the accuracy jumped. Android and Apple led the charge. Voice Dialing was the big thing. Apple had a host of commercials featuring iOS 3.0 voice commands in the summer of 2009.

The summer of 2010 was when Voice Actions came out as shown in this video. The commands were expanded again and the accuracy jumped up again. Now you can pretty much just speak normally and it will get it.

Today BlackBerry, iPhone, and Android all are great at Just Type but where they excel is that you can talk as well. They are all miles past Naturally Speaking and the others from a couple years ago.

Check out the AT&T BlackBerry Torch - Moby **** Commercial from last summer to see what even BlackBerry can do.

Just Type was a big deal in 2008 and Palm is doing a good job to bring us those features. Until Palm will open the Mic API, mums the word.

For more see: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions.
    I see some voice actions in your links but not Just Type. Does BB, ios and android allow developers to add features like in this video? ! I would like to see those links.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I see some voice actions in your links but not Just Type. Does BB, iOS and android allow developers to add features like in this video? ! I would like to see those links.
    Dan has an amazing app. He has truly done all that is humanly possible within the limitations that Palm puts on developers. Remix would sell 500,000 copies in the Android market and instantly have voice commands too. If you are integrated into the Android Search, you get automatically text commands and voice actions.

Android developers can integrate Voice Search and Voice Actions so that without selecting the music app on you can say things like "Listen to The Eagles" and it will open the music player and cue up The Eagles. Say "Listen to Hotel California" and it does.

Note that you do not have to tell it that this means the music app. It will know.

Here a few of the apps that integrate like this: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions.

It was in 2008 and 2009 that Apple, Android, and BlackBerry peaked out with the typing commands. 2009 and 2010 has been about optimizing text to speech and voice commands.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/09/2010 at 02:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I still believe voice to text, text to voice (voice actions) will eventually be the norm rather than the novelty some people think it is.

Apps that make tasks/life easier will always win out.
    I think it is, "meh, look what they did in 2008."

This is not something that we can do. Palm has not hinted that we will ever be able to do it.

- Craig
    my point is 'who cares?' it just seems very irrelevant. voice commands are cheesy in my opinion.
    recebtly tried voice to trxt on android and it sucks, didn't get 9/10 words correct.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Dan has an amazing app. He has truly done all that is humanly possible within the limitations that Palm puts on developers. Remix would sell 500,000 copies in the Android market and instantly have voice commands too. If you are integrated into the Android Search, you get automatically text commands and voice actions.

Android developers can integrate Voice Search and Voice Actions so that without opening the music app on you can say things like "Listen to The Eagles" and it will open the music player and cue up The Eagles. Say "Listen to Hotel California" and it does.

Note that you do not have to tell it that this means the music app. It will know.

Here a few of the apps that integrate like this: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions.

It was in 2008 and 2009 that Apple, Android, and BlackBerry peaked out with the typing commands. 2009 and 2010 has been about optimizing text to speech and voice commands.
    Are devs able to create their own actions like Dan did with 'faves' and 'resume' in his video or are there only a set number of actions? How about on ios and bb?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Google's new voice search:

You can actually say, "Send a text to Mike. Hey, Mike, let's meet at Nobu Restaurant," and it'll actually open the text messaging app and prefill the "to" and "message" fields! (It also does gps, directions and more)
    Windows Phone 7 also already does this. It's only useful in the car, when you're alone. It's not more convenient than Just Type in every other situation.
    palm had this with the centro, they teamed up with Nuance, you could open an email and compose an email all with dictation
    my point is 'who cares?' it just seems very irrelevant. voice commands are cheesy in my opinion.
    I care.

It's one thing I really missed in webOS when I returned my Evo. And one thing that I am looking forward to again when I get my Epic.

I wouldn't use a voice command in a meeting room, or around other people, but I did use them for navigation. I used them when my hands were full and I couldn't type, I've seen them used by people who couldn't use their hands due to injury or defect.

Voice interaction is a big deal even if you don't use it yet. If you give it a chance, I think you'd find it useful.

nnb
    How is it "cheesy"? How is something that makes using your phone easier and faster, cheesy?

Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    recebtly tried voice to trxt on android and it sucks, didn't get 9/10 words correct.
    Then your voice must be as bad as your spelling as android rarely gets a word wrong with me. In fact, you inspired me. I'll put up a youtube video of me trying different phrases i would normally say for my voice chat and post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Windows Phone 7 also already does this. It's only useful in the car, when you're alone. It's not more convenient than Just Type in every other situation.
    No its not but continue to believe what ever makes you happy.

You have people here...people who have android devices who enjoy the voice recognition features....and then you have people with WebOS devices who are downplaying the feature.

I think things would be different if this was a webOS feature. I thought old phones with voice recognition were a bit "cheesy" because even with my treo 755p and its voice recognition service, while accurate, would take FOREVER to work. Android is accurate and works in seconds. If you don't use it its one thing, but stop saying its useless.

Its not at all. Its one feature i would expect on any of my future phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I care.

It's one thing I really missed in webOS when I returned my Evo. And one thing that I am looking forward to again when I get my Epic.

I wouldn't use a voice command in a meeting room, or around other people, but I did use them for navigation. I used them when my hands were full and I couldn't type, I've seen them used by people who couldn't use their hands due to injury or defect.

Voice interaction is a big deal even if you don't use it yet. If you give it a chance, I think you'd find it useful.

nnb
    Exactly. I use it almost exclusively when using my phone in my own apartment and use it often in public. No people don't stare at you when you say "navigate to Starbucks".....and if they did, i wouldn't care...i'm walking in the street and don't want to stare at my phone to do it with my hands.
    the more input options you hae the better
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    No its not but continue to believe what ever makes you happy.

You have people here...people who have android devices who enjoy the voice recognition features....and then you have people with WebOS devices who are downplaying the feature.

I think things would be different if this was a webOS feature. I thought old phones with voice recognition were a bit "cheesy" because even with my treo 755p and its voice recognition service, while accurate, would take FOREVER to work. Android is accurate and works in seconds. If you don't use it its one thing, but stop saying its useless.

Its not at all. Its one feature i would expect on any of my future phones.
    I have a Samsung Focus and I previously had an iPhone 4. I didn't say that voice commands don't have their adherents, or some uses, but I never used the voice actions and only occasionally use it on the Samsung Focus. I used the quick search on webOS much more often. Quick Search (and Just Type) shows you instant results and is more accurate in getting your input. That's just the way typing is as opposed to voice instructions. Nothing to do with fanboyism.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I just tried this sentence on my EVO and it did get something different. It said:

I recently tried voice to text on Android and it sucks. It didn't get nine out of 10 words correct.
    Android got all 20 out of 20 words with correct spelling and capitalization. Granted I fixed the run-on sentence and missing subject as I was speaking.

abegee, are you saying that speech to text makes your typing worse?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2010 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    I see some voice actions in your links but not Just Type. Does BB, iOS and android allow developers to add features like in this video?
    Android has three Universal Search tools:
    • Search (Just Type)
    • Voice Search
    • Voice Actions

I added some screenshots showing exactly how Android Search works when you just type: Search, Voice Search, and Voice Actions

Here is an Android just type example. Say you want to play "The Eagles". Tap Search and start typing "Eagles". As you type it starts guessing what you want on your phone or Internet.

Tap the blue Google button to narrow your search. To see only music, tap Music (highlighted in orange below). It already shows The Eagles and guessed at similar music as well. Tap something to play it.

Just Type will help Palm catch up to how everyone has done text searches and text commands for some time now.

At some point I am sure that Palm will listen to users as well.

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/11/2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Voice commands I don't believe will purely overtake universal search by typing. Sure it would be nice to have and use once in a while, but not all the time.
    Good thing android has both then.

Just Type has been available since 2008 in iOS and Android. Android also excels at allowing you to specify exactly what apps and content you wanted to include.
    How do you invoke Just Type on IOS?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/11/2010 at 02:53 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast