Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Watch the video on this page:
    Google's Andy Rubin on Honeycomb Tablets, Music | Ina Fried | Mobilized | AllThingsD

    Rubin shows something similar to card view he calls the "desktop". It's not exactly the same as card view, but looks like it has the same purpose as card view. With card view being one of WebOS's strengths, a native android program manager similar to card view makes WebOS even less unique. It's starting to look like honeycomb may bring some polish and elegance to android.
  2. #2  
    That's because the guy that was a big part in the design of webOS defected to Android.
  3. #3  
    Android 3.0 will probably be out before webos 2.0 update for U.S. as well.
  4. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #4  
    I watched it twice I didn't see anything like card view. There was what looked to be 2 widgets on the main screen but that was it.
  5. spud101's Avatar
    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    #5  
    Add to that the following: "He also showed a design metaphor with tabs that could show things side by side on a tablet, while displaying the information on successive screens on a phone."

    This sounds a lot like the concepts showed in the ENYO framework email app show at the WebOS dev conference a few weeks ago.
  6. #6  
    Ruby is at that conference 2 lets c what he has to say/show.
  7. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Add to that the following: "He also showed a design metaphor with tabs that could show things side by side on a tablet, while displaying the information on successive screens on a phone."

    This sounds a lot like the concepts showed in the ENYO framework email app show at the WebOS dev conference a few weeks ago.
    Ya except 3.0 was being developed before dev day. And side by side apps(programs) is not something new.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    Ruby is at that conference 2 lets c what he has to say/show.
    His snappy, yet practical fashion sense?
  9. #9  
    Blackberry playbook has card view too.

    Its not RIM or Google's fault if HPalm fails to do proper patent work. But again, if HPalm can't bring in top notch new hardwares for the beautiful WebOS, it might as well let other people use it.
  10. #10  
    Patents? Defending a User Interface patent is the legal equivalent to waging an aggressive land war in Asia. Some lunatic always thinks he has to try, but everyone else knows the deal.

    webOS may be the macOS of this new era of computing.

    Remember that Mac OS was out in early 1984 and rocked the "Windows" multitasking metaphor more than a year before Microsoft launched Windows in late 1985, but Windows would of course be vastly more successful.

    Android is a killer operating system, but is at this moment powered by user friendliness - as in friendliness towards the OS on the user's side. People WANT to love it because it's Google (awesome free services!) and because it's on relatively inexpensive but top-notch hardware, enabled by the fact that manufacturers get it for free. But the 2.x interface is a terrible, terrible crime against humanity.

    webOS is the opposite: It's an utter joy to use, but at its heart, it's a fledgling little OS experiment by Palm, essentially a Crazy Cat Company that decided just before dying to make an operating system that can run websites as programs. And the market can't get it on the hardware that it desires, which is, for better or worse, the all-touchscreen slab.

    We'll see how things turn out, but I predict that webOS won't dominate the market at any point in the foreseeable future, especially not once other manufacturers are upping their UI game... and MeeGo, Blackberry and Google are rumored to adopt the card metaphor. I still think that webOS can definitely carve a big enough niche out of the market to survive in the shadow of Android, just like Mac continues to survive in the shadow of Windows.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 12/10/2010 at 12:08 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Android is a killer operating system, but is at this moment powered by user friendliness - as in friendliness towards the OS on the user's side. People WANT to love it because it's Google (awesome free services!) and because it's on relatively inexpensive but top-notch hardware, enabled by the fact that manufacturers get it for free. But the 2.x interface is a terrible, terrible crime against humanity.
    Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Android's interface. You can make the lead screen as clean as WebOS out of the box. You bring up the app drawer just as WebOS bring's up an app launcher. You have an unobtrusive notification area. How is that so terrible?

    webOS is the opposite: It's an utter joy to use, but at its heart, it's a fledgling little OS experiment by Palm, essentially a Crazy Cat Company that decided just before dying to make an operating system that can run websites as programs. And the market can't get it on the hardware that it desires, which is, for better or worse, the all-touchscreen slab.
    See, this is where I would invert your description of Android above. I feel like WebOS' UI is killer, and it helps people forgive a lot of its shortcomings. But the operating system itself is plagued by problems beyond lacking cool slab hardware.

    It's a modern touchscreen OS on accelerometer-equipped hardware...that is mostly portrait oriented. So the versatility is definite lacking. The native apps are barebones including an unoptimized dialer, a laggy Photos app, a video recorder that pauses and stutters at random, and a music player that is virtually skeletal.

    Hopefully, these things will be addressed.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Android's interface. You can make the lead screen as clean as WebOS out of the box. You bring up the app drawer just as WebOS bring's up an app launcher. You have an unobtrusive notification area. How is that so terrible?



    See, this is where I would invert your description of Android above. I feel like WebOS' UI is killer, and it helps people forgive a lot of its shortcomings. But the operating system itself is plagued by problems beyond lacking cool slab hardware.

    It's a modern touchscreen OS on accelerometer-equipped hardware...that is mostly portrait oriented. So the versatility is definite lacking. The native apps are barebones including an unoptimized dialer, a laggy Photos app, a video recorder that pauses and stutters at random, and a music player that is virtually skeletal.

    Hopefully, these things will be addressed.

    compleeeeeeeeeeetttly agree. Ppl seem to forgive all these things out of feeling sorry for the underdog. sigh...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  13. #13  
    Why do people try to tell me my opinion about things i own?

    I like android because its been way more reliable and snappy than my webos device. Simply put. The larger app catalog is a great bonus, but i could even deal with that.

Posting Permissions