Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    !

Some good stuff here.
  2.    #2  
    ouch....here is Matius (or however you spell his name) too repping google now:

YouTube - Nexus S: The Backstory

And this awesome ad!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    *sigh* Google releases 2.3 on time and webOS 2.0 is still M.I.A. Seeing Matias in that vid is just...ouch!

Palm/HP not helping themselves at all.
    Last edited by kanaka; 12/06/2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

And this awesome ad!
    I don't like it...
    Newness Developments apps:

One thing this highlights is the embarassing inadequacy of the Palm Pre 2.0 launch. Here we have Google doing a mere .x (not a full OS revision) upgrade, and they announce it, show in-depth videos, have a final SDK ready download for any developer, and have two B&M retail (and one carrier) partners announced who will offer the device for sale and online on both sides of the Atlantic in less than two weeks.

By contrast, HP Palm apparently got to step 1 in that list and felt that was enough for the next major version of WebOS. Where's the non-beta SDK? Where are the indepth videos and/or commercials? Where are the retail partners? Where are the release dates for domestic carriers?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    One thing this highlights is the embarassing inadequacy of the Palm Pre 2.0 launch. Here we have Google doing a mere .x (not a full OS revision) upgrade, and they announce it, show in-depth videos, have a final SDK ready download for any developer, and have two B&M retail (and one carrier) partners announced who will offer the device for sale and online on both sides of the Atlantic in less than two weeks.

By contrast, HP Palm apparently got to step 1 in that list and felt that was enough for the next major version of WebOS. Where's the non-beta SDK? Where are the indepth videos and/or commercials? Where are the retail partners? Where are the release dates for domestic carriers?
    Haven't you heard? Next year is the big rebound. You won't be disappointed. :P

It still makes you wonder why they even released webOS 2.0 and the Pre 2. Doing nothing til they had new hardware and all that you mention would've been the right move.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

And this awesome ad!
    I'm getting those shoes
    2.3 is definitely more fully cooked. My next major smartphone will still likely be an Android Gingerbread.

And yes, HP is repeating all of Palm's mistakes, which doesn't make sense to me. Are they letting the Palm camp run itself instead of taking charge?

Though I may end up getting a Torch or 9780 instead, maybe(not exactly my first choices). Or even the iPhone 5 next year, provided it doesn't have all the "issues" the 4 did.

You may have seen my email gripes in other posts and my sig. If I can be sure I don't have to keep manually syncing to get new email, we're all set! I don't always mind manual sync but sometimes it's easier just to get notified.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

It still makes you wonder why they even released webOS 2.0 and the Pre 2. Doing nothing til they had new hardware and all that you mention would've been the right move.
    What release?

Even the unlocked Nexus S is being pushed better than the unlocked Pre 2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    gingerbread is released. Woohoo??? Time for android fans to get another new device, because it may not come to your device anytime soon...unless you get the nexus S.

not much different than webOS 2.0 and 2.01...already available on unlocked pre2s.
    not sure why the comparsion to what HP/Palm is doing, atleast what Im thinking is they're still getting their ducks in order before announcments. To me after HP makes it official and says this is what is coming, and it either is underwhelming, or very badly executed then I will bash them. I can't say that now since the just aquired Palm in july, and no doubt want to make sure their next launch of devices is as close to perfection as possiable. We all know HP can launch and sell products (they are #1 in computer sales) though so far their smartphone line has failed on all levels. Even seeing this 2.3 update it still dosent have me sold on anything Android has to offer. I had a Evo and yet great hardware the OS was a supped up version of window mobile 6 with sbp shell ontop of it. Also weird thing is Android is only on 2.3 with a yr head start (really since 05) and webos is alittle over a year and on 2.0 soon. Thats before HP too, a small company with no money. So once again in my eyes seeing this video and others posted on engagdet, and Gizmodo (who by the isnt at all wowed on this update at all, even infact added a list of things to do for Google). So i'll wait and get a better device, with a better OS whenever they decide to release it, and know that device will atleast be support throught out, not fragmented, and ran by a company who has been doing it longer then anyone. My opinion will always be, Android will be a 2nd rate product in a few years, just because of its linux limitations, OS fragmentations, and competition within its makers on similar devices sold just keep one up on each other.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 12/06/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    gingerbread is released. Woohoo??? Time for android fans to get another new device, because it may not come to your device anytime soon...unless you get the nexus S...
    ...or already own the Nexus One and other high end devices will eventually follow if we're being honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    gingerbread is released. Woohoo??? Time for android fans to get another new device, because it may not come to your device anytime soon...unless you get the nexus S.

not much different than webOS 2.0 and 2.01...already available on unlocked pre2s.
    Aside from the company announcing it like they aren't deeply ashamed of it, there are other differences between Gingerbread and WebOS 2.0.

They found a domestic carrier who wants to make their hero device a priority and get it to market ASAP. It will also be available for people to touch in brick and mortar stores almost immediately after launch, not banished to HP's online store for however long. This makes people actually care about the upgrade instead of it being something they read can merely read about in a press release or on a web site.

They have a full SDK for all developers ready now to keep the heady pace of app development up. This shows developers that Google is constantly refreshing and improving upon the APIs and access offered to the hardware. With HP Palm, they are still waiting on the basics 18 months later.

Finally, the developer devices of last generation - Nexus One - have been promised the update "in a few weeks", which would be veeeery shortly after the Nexus S hits retail. Is WebOS 2.x even out for the unlocked Palm Pre Pluses they sold to developers up until a month or two ago?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

While I don't share your sense of sarcasm and negativity about the future I agree with your main point. Releasing the Pre2 is a waste of time and resources and more importantly won't create the kind of buzz among the general customer base necessary to move sales upward. HP should have paid off the manufacturing contracts as a cost of buying Palm. Some strategic hint dropping and released "spy shots" of future devices would do better to generate some buzz for WebOS 2.0 and future devices. And of course doing the things necessary to generate developer buzz that micah pointed out.

As for Android 2.3, it may be impressive but I'm waiting to for 3.0 where we will supposedly see some serious UI changes before taking a serious look at Android.
    I have a theory....i believe HP-Palm will release 2.0 after they have showed the masses what 2.0 is all about on a new hardware at CES.
    Aside from the company announcing it like they aren't deeply ashamed of it, there are other differences between Gingerbread and WebOS 2.0.

They found a domestic carrier who wants to make their hero device a priority and get it to market ASAP. It will also be available for people to touch in brick and mortar stores almost immediately after launch, not banished to HP's online store for however long. This makes people actually care about the upgrade instead of it being something they read can merely read about in a press release or on a web site.

They have a full SDK for all developers ready now to keep the heady pace of app development up. This shows developers that Google is constantly refreshing and improving upon the APIs and access offered to the hardware. With HP Palm, they are still waiting on the basics 18 months later.

Finally, the developer devices of last generation - Nexus One - have been promised the update "in a few weeks", which would be veeeery shortly after the Nexus S hits retail. Is WebOS 2.x even out for the unlocked Palm Pre Pluses they sold to developers up until a month or two ago?
    though agree with everything you said above, we are still looking at a company and OS(webos) as needing alot of work still. Of course no carrier will want a webos device right now, due to just how lackluster the first intial launch was on all 3 carriers thats a no brainer. To me you state the obvious, though the potential behind webos is astonishing, and Android not so (even developers will say the same). To me once they get everything together (and nobody knows how long it will take to do so except HP and Palm), and when they present everything, and lay it out on the table then to me we can critique if its not mindblowing at the very least. Yes there have been no announcements, no real new devices, no release dates, no webos 2.0, though we are speaking about a OS that was just aquired 6 months ago, had to be interfaced in the circuit of HP, then has to start development on brand new products. So when all that gets cleaned up (and it will), and when they can give a product to critque, to me theres no room to state what Google is doing, compared to what HP is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    not sure why the comparsion to what HP/Palm is doing, atleast what Im thinking is they're still getting their ducks in order before announcments.
    Apparently not. They just announced new hardware and software via press release, yet as I noted, their ducks were hardly "in a row".

To me after HP makes it official and says this is what is coming, and it either is underwhelming, or very badly executed then I will bash them. I can't say that now since the just aquired Palm in july, and no doubt want to make sure their next launch of devices is as close to perfection as possiable.
    Is the Palm Pre 2 a mirage? I feel like we're talking as if it were some one-off special like the McRib. This IS their highest end handset currently available, the only one available to developers, and the only one available for America's largest carrier (Verizon) for the foreseeable future. It counts as "official" and a "next device". Anything else is still speculation at this point. This is the flagship for WebOS for the holiday season of 2010, i.e. NOW.

We all know HP can launch and sell products (they are #1 in computer sales) though so far their smartphone line has failed on all levels.
    Actually, if you count tablets (which HP most certainly will once they launch the PalmPad), Apple is the number one computer manufacturer at present.

Even seeing this 2.3 update it still dosent have me sold on anything Android has to offer. I had a Evo and yet great hardware the OS was a supped up version of window mobile 6 with sbp shell ontop of it.
    I used WM6, and I've used Android. I don't remember WM6 supporting HD video or smooth 3D galleries or iPhone caliber games or a fast HTML5 browser or.....

Also weird thing is Android is only on 2.3 with a yr head start (really since 05) and webos is alittle over a year and on 2.0 soon.
    You cannot be serious in equating the two because of the numbering scheme. You can't be.

Thats before HP too, a small company with no money. So once again in my eyes seeing this video and others posted on engagdet, and Gizmodo (who by the isnt at all wowed on this update at all, even infact added a list of things to do for Google). So i'll wait and get a better device, with a better OS whenever they decide to release it, and know that device will atleast be support throught out, not fragmented, and ran by a company who has been doing it longer then anyone.
    WebOS is already fragmented. HP Palm cannot control when carriers implement their upgrades (hence "coming soon" or "in the coming months"). They cannot control who sells their devices. At least you can purchase multiple Froyo phones now on every US carrier. The same will be true shortly after Gingerbread hits. How many US carriers offer the version of WebOS that was released 45 days ago? Zero. And this is before they start branching out into multiple form factors.

My opinion will always be, Android will be a 2nd rate product in a few years, just because of its linux limitations, OS fragmentations, and competition within its makers on similar devices sold just keep up with each other.
    The product that has widespread support, mindshare, and is being regularly updated is the one you think will be second rate in a few years? Meanwhile, WebOS is on the fast track to success? Really?
    So what if Android has incremental upgrades and this is another? Their particular incremental upgrades actually add something new to the table every time, instead of breaking and removing features. Or bug fixes disguised as upgrades.

Souped up WM6? WM6 was an OS I actually got some work done on BTW. I'm not a WM hater like a lot of people, just due to that. Android is much more flexible though, more flexible than any other OS I've seen. Perhaps because it is open source. That has good and bad consequences(carriers). But look what you get when the OS is locked down by the maker. Apple keeps breaking stuff every single time because they don't want you using anything but what they support or manufacturer. And MSFT will now tell you what kind of microSD card to use(or not at all in some phones it seems). Oh yeah, and they prefer you not jailbreak too. They were so much more open with the old WM.

Google could fall into the toilet, it happens to almost everyone eventually it seems(Nokia badly slipped and RIM may follow it). But I think the OS will live on in some manner. There are too many phones with it to just drop support, and too much untapped potential.

Apparently not. They just announced new hardware and software via press release, yet as I noted, their ducks were hardly "in a row".

correct as I stated they are STILL getting them in a row currently.

Is the Palm Pre 2 a mirage? I feel like we're talking as if it were some one-off special like the McRib. This IS their highest end handset currently available, the only one available to developers, and the only one available for America's largest carrier (Verizon) for the foreseeable future. It counts as "official" and a "next device". Anything else is still speculation at this point. This is the flagship for WebOS for the holiday season of 2010, i.e. NOW.

the Pre 2 is a new device yes, but as you can see there are no commercials for it, no advertisment, it basicly sneaked out the lab off the shelf. We all know for the most part this was a device Palm was looking to release months ago, and is excess inverntory. So no I don't see this as a launch they anticipate, the reason why they stated before the Pre 2 surface and after it did....NEW DEVICES 2011.

Actually, if you count tablets (which HP most certainly will once they launch the PalmPad), Apple is the number one computer manufacturer at present.

But as stated by every editor, anaylist, developer in the world the ipad is not considered a computer like: The iPad is not a computer so no HP is the numeber one COMPUTER SELLER.

I used WM6, and I've used Android. I don't remember WM6 supporting HD video or smooth 3D galleries or iPhone caliber games or a fast HTML5 browser or.....

I meaning by that statment is WM6 with that SBP shell skin, it was exactly how android operated. 5 pages with widgets on top of it, having access to the program that way. Of course phones back then didnt have what you specified.

You cannot be serious in equating the two because of the numbering scheme. You can't be.

yup why not.

WebOS is already fragmented. HP Palm cannot control when carriers implement their upgrades (hence "coming soon" or "in the coming months"). They cannot control who sells their devices. At least you can purchase multiple Froyo phones now on every US carrier. The same will be true shortly after Gingerbread hits. How many US carriers offer the version of WebOS that was released 45 days ago? Zero. And this is before they start branching out into multiple form factors.

Besides whoever has the Pre 2, not many carriers Verizon dosent yet whats fragmented on the OS? Besides those handfull of people with the Pre 2 with 2.0.1 everyone else is on 1.4.5. Google on the other hand is across the board, and they don't even support older devices like the hero or droid. I have a personel with a droid, and not only do some basic application not install on his device, motorola refuses to assist with that device, their solution get the Droid 2.

he product that has widespread support, mindshare, and is being regularly updated is the one you think will be second rate in a few years? Meanwhile, WebOS is on the fast track to success? Really?
    correct, just because something is hot now, dosent mean it will always be you should no better then that. We all know in electronics shifts happen all the time, and to me I made a assumption of since Palm has the correct Formula (and Im not alone in thinking so), and what they lacked was money, Now that they have both I cant help but put my money on Palm, like so many did with Apple before the first Ipod was introduced.

my fault about the weird Quote ****, its crazy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast