Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70
  1. Omglol's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
       #1  
    I got this phone for free online with my upgrade (it was going to be $50+ at the store) and it is just amazing. What's better is that it doesn't have 4G so you don't have to pay $120 a year for the service. Unless it's in your area and you want that, of course. Anyway, this phone is super affordable AND has a high performance level.

    I looked around for a review comparing the two before I got it, and couldn't find any, so I decided to make one. As a WebOS user, it was pretty hard to think of any alternative. Lots of WebOS users seem to be very dedicated to it... However, when I couldn't open a simple PDF file without getting an error about rendering or a picture of a yellow sign with an exclamation mark, that was it for me. Not to mention that some apps took forever to load, like the camera. I switched to the LG Optimus S and I'm quite satisfied. Anyway, to make this easier on all of us, I'll just bullet things.

    - Palm Pre takes over 3 minutes to start up. WHAT? (is it just mine?) LG Optimus takes around a minute.

    - Both the Pre and the Optimus have around the same battery life. Here's my use: Both fully charged. I start using them at 8 am. I use grooveshark at times, surf the internet, maybe place some calls and games. Both will be low battery/dead by 5 pm.

    - The Palm Pre is super laggy when compared to the Optimus. You can really tell when you scroll through your apps and such. Optimus is smooth!

    - For the Pre, three words. TOO MANY CARDS. What's the point of being able to multitask if this error comes up so much?

    - That said, when it does work, the Pre is much better at multitasking and simple gestures to do what you want. It's very natural and makes WebOS a good OS for people who aren't very tech savvy. I miss being able to swipe through apps, or swiping them up to close them. But whatever. The Optimus has buttons on the bottom, and you can tap around to do the same thing. Not as easy but you can still do what you want. And you can sort of multitask. For example, you can still listen to music while browsing the internet, and your applications will all be there from where you left off. It's just not as easy to find.

    - Optimus also has notifications at the top and you drag a bar down to view them all or "clear" the list, and you can also tap them and go to that application. One thing I don't like is that when you get an IM message (like from AIM) it'll say incoming IM, but you can't click it and view the IM. You have to actually go to AIM...

    - I also HATE virtual keyboards. Many people said the Palm Pre's keyboard was cramped, but it never was for me. The Optimus does have "swype" where you swipe through the letters to make the word you want. It kind of makes lines.. connecting the letters and it makes it easier to get the word you want typed out. Google or youtube it if you don't understand what I mean. It also has a voice to text feature but it doesn't always understand what you say so it's not worth it to use it. You end up wasting time erasing what it thought you said. Maybe I'll get used to the virtual keyboard... At least I hope.

    - Call quality is the same, as far as I know.

    - APPS! Android market, enough said. The way they run is super snappy too.

    - The Pre had the little launcher at the bottom with 4 apps and then you can go to a different page with everything on it. The Optimus can put 12 apps on the home screen, and then it has four more pages that you can scroll through from there, plus a page with everything. I like the Optimus better on that.

    - The Optimus' screen is brighter and everything looks better on it too. It also has wallpapers that move and react to how you touch them.

    Overall, while it seems silly to compare a phone that's over a year old with a phone that's a month old, I feel like it might be useful to someone. I'm glad I made the switch. If anyone has any questions or comments, please post them
    Last edited by Omglol; 12/03/2010 at 08:01 PM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    <<deleted>>
    Uh, it's the Other Handhelds forum. He's comparing his new phone with his old one. Nothing wrong with that.

    Why do you feel so threatened by the exodus we're seeing?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/03/2010 at 11:26 PM.
  3. #3  
    Yes, it appears to be an excellent phone for the money:

    Phonescoop Review of the LG Optimus S


    It's too bad you didn't find PreCentral before jumping ship. With all the developers here making programs,patches and over-clocking,etc., my one year old Sprint Pre, over-clocked to 1 GHz, is definitely a match for the 600 MHz LG Optimus S. Too many cards? Not any more.

    The LG does have a mobile hotspot,but it costs $30 a month more to use it. I have mobile hotspot working just fine on my Sprint Pre.

    The LG doesn't support Flash,even though it is running Android 2.2. Flash support is essential for my next phone;hopefully, WebOS 2.0 will soon add that to the Pre.
  4. Omglol's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    It's too bad you didn't find PreCentral before jumping ship. With all the developers here making programs,patches and over-clocking,etc., my one year old Sprint Pre, over-clocked to 1 GHz, is definitely a match for the 600 MHz LG Optimus S. Too many cards? Not any more.

    The LG does have a mobile hotspot,but it costs $30 a month more to use it. I have mobile hotspot working just fine on my Sprint Pre.

    The LG doesn't support Flash,even though it is running Android 2.2. Flash support is essential for my next phone;hopefully, WebOS 2.0 will soon add that to the Pre.
    I've been on Precentral for a while, just never posted much. I did have patches and stuff a few months ago but then I wiped everything off my phone and never put them back.

    Also, I feel like the phone should just work right to begin with, since the majority of users will not know about/use third party patches. I'm glad to hear that you have patches for those things though. To be honest, it was kind of sad shutting off my pre...


    Heh, back to the Optimus. You're right, it doesn't have flash, but it can get skyfire.. and who knows maybe they'll find a way to do it? Either way, I don't mind, because I can't miss what I never had
  5. #5  
    Buy SwiftKey, it's worth it for virtual keyboards.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #6  
    Several posts deleted.

    If you don't want to read about other handhelds don't go to the Other Handhelds forum.

    This is your warning. Don't insult others. Don't attack someone for posting about other handhelds in the Other Handhelds forum.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Omglol View Post
    ...Both the Pre and the Optimus have around the same battery life.

    ...I miss being able to swipe through apps, or swiping them up to close them.

    ...For example, you can still listen to music while browsing the internet, and your applications will all be there from where you left off. It's just not as easy to find.

    ...APPS! Android market, enough said. The way they run is super snappy too.

    ...The Optimus can put 12 apps on the home screen

    ...Overall, while it seems silly to compare a phone that's over a year old with a phone that's a month old...
    Nice job. You are comparing the latest and greatest $149 phone available from Palm in the US to a free phone from LG. If anything that should be unfair to LG.

    There are some things that might help you from the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android and the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks.

    • See Extend Your Battery - Speed Up Your Phone. You can do wonders.

    • Use Visual Task Switcher or Itching Thumb if you want to see cards.

    • To see your last 8 apps that you have opened, long-press Home.

    • As to Keyboards. Diva is right SwiftKey is amazing. Even faster than Swype because it predicts your words before you can type them. Free Trial.

    • Here are some of the best of the 100,000 Applications

    • Your main homescreen can have Folders for 320 apps, two taps away.

    It will be interesting to see if these don't change some of your assessments.

    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/04/2010 at 12:11 AM.
  8. #8  
    If I had stayed with my "old," original settings Pre, I too would be looking to move on to another phone. It would have been nice if my Pre came with Mobile Hotspot, 1 GHz speed,etc.,but it didn't. So, now when I compare my "new" Pre to the LG, I don't see any reason to leave. The LG is a great phone,no doubt,but it doesn't offer me anything that I want - like support for Adobe Flash, a significantly better camera and longer battery life.

    The LG has a camera with autofocus;that's a very great feature the Pre does not have. However,it lacks a flash for indoor photos. The reviewer complained the LG camera was slow to open."When you hold the camera button on the side for about a second, the phone issues a vibration, and from there it takes about four seconds before you can start shooting." My over-clocked Pre takes between 3 to 4 seconds before it is ready to use. So, it's a toss-up between the two cameras.

    The LG has a 1500 mAh battery vs. the 1150 mAh Pre. However, I notice the reviewer complained about the LG's battery life;blaming it on Sprint's ID widgets running in the background. So, I see no real advantage for either phone. I've upped my battery to 2300 mAh,so battery life isn't even an issue for me.
  9. Omglol's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Nice job. You are comparing the latest and greatest $149 phone available from Palm in the US to a free phone from LG. If anything that should be unfair to LG.

    There are some things that might help you...
    (links)
    Wow, thanks a lot! This will keep me busy for a while...

    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    If I had stayed with my "old," original settings Pre, I too would be looking to move on to another phone. It would have been nice if my Pre came with Mobile Hotspot, 1 GHz speed,etc.,but it didn't. So, now when I compare my "new" Pre to the LG, I don't see any reason to leave. The LG is a great phone,no doubt,but it doesn't offer me anything that I want - like support for Adobe Flash, a significantly better camera and longer battery life.
    Makes sense.

    The LG has a camera with autofocus;that's a very great feature the Pre does not have. However,it lacks a flash for indoor photos. The reviewer complained the LG camera was slow to open."When you hold the camera button on the side for about a second, the phone issues a vibration, and from there it takes about four seconds before you can start shooting." My over-clocked Pre takes between 3 to 4 seconds before it is ready to use. So, it's a toss-up between the two cameras.
    Flash would have been cool. Wonder why they didn't include it? And true, it is a toss up as to which takes more when the pre is overclocked.

    The LG has a 1500 mAh battery vs. the 1150 mAh Pre. However, I notice the reviewer complained about the LG's battery life;blaming it on Sprint's ID widgets running in the background. So, I see no real advantage for either phone. I've upped my battery to 2300 mAh,so battery life isn't even an issue for me.
    I don't get the Sprint ID thing... seems unnecessary. & I'm jealous of your battery Wish I could see your pre, actually.
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #10  
    I believe there is a rom floating around for this phone that strips out all of the crap and supercharges it.
  11. #11  
    The best I can do is to show you a comparison of the 2300 mAh phone with the 1150 mAh phone.

  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Omglol View Post

    - Both the Pre and the Optimus have around the same battery life. Here's my use: Both fully charged. I start using them at 8 am. I use grooveshark at times, surf the internet, maybe place some calls and games. Both will be low battery/dead by 5 pm

    - I also HATE virtual keyboards. Many people said the Palm Pre's keyboard was cramped, but it never was for me. The Optimus does have "swype
    Install a free app called Juice defender, that should save you a lot of battery and its no a app killer.

    There are about twenty keyboards available with most with free trials.

    You have a mid level Android phone that doesn't have Froyo which is required for flash.

    Recommend you upgrade you voice command to Google voice actions if you haven't already. Vlingo imo is much better and you will love safe reader...it reads your text for you no need to read them while driving.

    Sfm Evo
  13. #13  
    http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-Optimus-S_id4963

    I thought it did have 2.2. But maybe it's due to the processor. You can't run live wallpapers on phones with low processors either, even though that's standard. Unless you root them. But carriers do not allow live wallpapers on some phones, likely due to fear of performance complaints.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #14  
    Interesting thread.
    I am about o get my first phone. ( Other than the Net 10 prepay I have used ).
    I have been trying to learn all I can about the Palm phones and WebOS by reading all I could find at Pre Central over the past couple of months.
    Because I only have knowledge about Palm and WebOs I guess I have been heavily weighted in that direction. Perhaps I should be looking at some others as well. However I dread starting the research process all over.
    I never thought I would want an I-Phone and seems as though Blackberry is not highly regarded. Would that leave a choice between Palm and Android devices?
    Suggestions are appreciated.
    Have been waiting for the Pre 2 on Verizon to see if they offer the free MHS. MHS would be a definate need for me as well as decent coverage as I travel a lot. Including Canada.
    Thanks in advance.
  15. #15  
    grab a used Pre+ to give it a try. I've seen a couple of good deals in the PreCentral Marketplace forum recently. Once you are hooked on webOS, you can grab the Pre2 or whatever else Palm launches in the next few months.
  16. #16  
    I actually was interested in the Pre on Sprint that recently was advertised on Pre Central but sold on e-bay. Was gone when I got to e-bay.
    I spend about three months a year in Newfoundland CA. I figure I have two choices. Unlocked GSM to use on AT&T in the states and then get a prepay SIM from Bell Canada to use when north of the border. Or, Go Verizon and then add the Canada coverage for $20.00/ month when I go to Newfoundland.
    I am away from my permanent home over 6 months of the year and would really like the MHS as I use the laptop a lot when on the road. Been waiting for the Pre 2 to hit Verizon so I can see what they offer. But as we all know things are happening slowly in regards to Pre 2 on Verizon.
    Any comments comparing AT&T and Verizon?
  17. #17  
    I used my upgrade about two weeks ago and decided to go with the optimus to really see what the fuss is about with Android. Let me clarify some things:

    1. It runs Android 2.2 but does not support Flash, which sucks but as a pre owner I've learned to live without. I'm not sure why not, but I think its because it has an ARMv6 processor and just cant.

    2. Ive currently got the custom rom from androidcentral flashed and its pretty fast. Rooting and flashing isn't that hard but a pain in the rear compared to customizing webos. Its hard to say how it compares to an OC'd pre, but my phone gets higher benchmark scores than the Droid X and Evo. Angry Birds was definitely smoother on the pre though

    3. Screen resolution is the same but the screen is way brighter, colors just pop IMO.
  18. #18  
    For the LG Optimus S, You can download the "Mobile Hotspot" widget from the app market and it will enable wifi tethering ... this is a known exploit which may not work with the next OTA.

    My experience with Juice Defender is that on my gf's phone, it reports that her battery life has been extended 1.86 times compared to before.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Omglol View Post
    I got this phone for free online with my upgrade (it was going to be $50+ at the store) and it is just amazing. What's better is that it doesn't have 4G so you don't have to pay $120 a year for the service. Unless it's in your area and you want that, of course. Anyway, this phone is super affordable AND has a high performance level.

    I looked around for a review comparing the two before I got it, and couldn't find any, so I decided to make one. As a WebOS user, it was pretty hard to think of any alternative. Lots of WebOS users seem to be very dedicated to it... However, when I couldn't open a simple PDF file without getting an error about rendering or a picture of a yellow sign with an exclamation mark, that was it for me. Not to mention that some apps took forever to load, like the camera. I switched to the LG Optimus S and I'm quite satisfied. Anyway, to make this easier on all of us, I'll just bullet things.

    - Palm Pre takes over 3 minutes to start up. WHAT? (is it just mine?) LG Optimus takes around a minute.

    - Both the Pre and the Optimus have around the same battery life. Here's my use: Both fully charged. I start using them at 8 am. I use grooveshark at times, surf the internet, maybe place some calls and games. Both will be low battery/dead by 5 pm.

    - The Palm Pre is super laggy when compared to the Optimus. You can really tell when you scroll through your apps and such. Optimus is smooth!

    - For the Pre, three words. TOO MANY CARDS. What's the point of being able to multitask if this error comes up so much?

    - That said, when it does work, the Pre is much better at multitasking and simple gestures to do what you want. It's very natural and makes WebOS a good OS for people who aren't very tech savvy. I miss being able to swipe through apps, or swiping them up to close them. But whatever. The Optimus has buttons on the bottom, and you can tap around to do the same thing. Not as easy but you can still do what you want. And you can sort of multitask. For example, you can still listen to music while browsing the internet, and your applications will all be there from where you left off. It's just not as easy to find.

    - Optimus also has notifications at the top and you drag a bar down to view them all or "clear" the list, and you can also tap them and go to that application. One thing I don't like is that when you get an IM message (like from AIM) it'll say incoming IM, but you can't click it and view the IM. You have to actually go to AIM...

    - I also HATE virtual keyboards. Many people said the Palm Pre's keyboard was cramped, but it never was for me. The Optimus does have "swype" where you swipe through the letters to make the word you want. It kind of makes lines.. connecting the letters and it makes it easier to get the word you want typed out. Google or youtube it if you don't understand what I mean. It also has a voice to text feature but it doesn't always understand what you say so it's not worth it to use it. You end up wasting time erasing what it thought you said. Maybe I'll get used to the virtual keyboard... At least I hope.

    - Call quality is the same, as far as I know.

    - APPS! Android market, enough said. The way they run is super snappy too.

    - The Pre had the little launcher at the bottom with 4 apps and then you can go to a different page with everything on it. The Optimus can put 12 apps on the home screen, and then it has four more pages that you can scroll through from there, plus a page with everything. I like the Optimus better on that.

    - The Optimus' screen is brighter and everything looks better on it too. It also has wallpapers that move and react to how you touch them.

    Overall, while it seems silly to compare a phone that's over a year old with a phone that's a month old, I feel like it might be useful to someone. I'm glad I made the switch. If anyone has any questions or comments, please post them
    I did the same upgrade as the creator of this thread and while I miss webos to some extent.. the App selection blew, the hardware sucked and the device felt cheap. Its true I did have free tethering, and I will miss the keyboard but the fact of the matter is the pre broke constantly. Prior to swapping for the Optimus S (which cost me $0 vs the $200 at Pre Launch) I had been stuck in headset mode for a month. Palm made a mistake releasing such cheap hardware, and they suffered for it. Maybe the Pre 2 will be worth it then I may come back but otherwise F Palm, F the Pre.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rendang View Post
    For the LG Optimus S, You can download the "Mobile Hotspot" widget from the app market and it will enable wifi tethering ... this is a known exploit which may not work with the next OTA.

    My experience with Juice Defender is that on my gf's phone, it reports that her battery life has been extended 1.86 times compared to before.
    This really isn't an exploit. Sprint normally gives a free trial to the mobile hotspot.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions