Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    All moveable apps are already moved to the card. With 2.2, Apps2sd is superfluous (which means you don't want to install it because then it is just one more thing in the limited memory.)

A majority of apps are not movable (without hacking.) Instead of being able to just install the best app, you need to decide on the best one with the smallest footprint, or that can be moved to the SD card. I've already replaced some really nice apps with less featured, smaller ones.

The entire thing could have been avoided if Google hadn't sectioned off memory like they did. This isn't too dissimilar to the early WebOS release, but you'd have thought Google's much bigger team would have known better, or had the resources to address it earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think another problem is low ROM phones. These low to mid range Androids have awful storage space. Many apps are getting larger and when you have limited space, it really sucks. And it would be nice if developers realized not everyone has the storage space that's on expensive phones and allowed SD card storage more often.
    Its as simple as all app manufacturing allowing you to move the apps to the SD card.

I'm rooted so i'm able to move just about all my apps over so that abbreviates some of the issues.
    I think another problem is low ROM phones. These low to mid range Androids have awful storage space. Many apps are getting larger and when you have limited space, it really sucks. And it would be nice if developers realized not everyone has the storage space that's on expensive phones and allowed SD card storage more often.
    That is part of it. Some of the older phones only had 256Mb...half of the Optimus. The Evo, by the way, also only has 512Mb...just like the Optimus.

However, even with phones with more internal memory (like Motorola Droids), you will find the memory for programs severely limited. I recall reading that the program memory was limited to 256Mb until Android 2.1x. I'm not sure what the limit is in Android 2.2. I suspect it is much greater, but because of the partitioning, most of the memory isn't available for apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Its as simple as all app manufacturing allowing you to move the apps to the SD card.

I'm rooted so i'm able to move just about all my apps over so that abbreviates some of the issues.
    Of course, that isn't the perfect solution, because 1. The average person isn't and shouldn't have to root their phone. and 2. Some apps can misbehave very badly if they are on the SD card. Some apps are called before the operating system mounts the SD card, and those need to stay in main memory. Also, when the phone is hooked to a computer it unmounts the SD card.

In the end, Google needs to fix the memory issue, just like Palm did in one of their subsequent releases of WebOS.
    ROM is storage memory though, and on low to mid range phones, you get only enough for about 10 apps(maybe a little more) without the phone choking.

RAM is another story, but a lot of the RAM is used by the system OS. On phones with skins, low RAM hurts performance too. The Backflip is a prime example.

The Evo has 512 RAM but 1GB ROM, HUGE difference over the ROM on our phones.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/11/2011 at 06:41 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    ROM is storage memory though, and on low to mid range phones, you get only enough for about 10 apps(maybe a little more) without the phone choking.

RAM is another story, but a lot of the RAM is used by the system OS. On phones with skins, low RAM hurts performance too. The Backflip is a prime example.

The Evo has 512 RAM but 1GB ROM, HUGE difference over the ROM on our phones.
    I must have misread a posting. So the Evo has twice the memory of our phone for the operating system and app storage. You are right. That is a HUGE difference. At least we aren't hobbled with 256Mb of storage, like many of the original Android phones.
    Actually according to the specs, we seem to be. When all you have left for storage is 150MB, that means you likely have only 256MB and some of that is system apps and maybe the OS too that must be included.

Both the Intercept and the Optimus S have low storage space.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Actually according to the specs, we seem to be. When all you have left for storage is 150MB, that means you likely have only 256MB and some of that is system apps and maybe the OS too that must be included.

Both the Intercept and the Optimus S have low storage space.
    The Optimus has 512 of ROM. It is in the specs. But the operating system and included programs use the brunt of it. Imagine how bad it is for people that have only 256Mb. I recall reading people saying when they got their 256Mb Androids there was only 40Mb left for programs.
    You're right, I looked at another site for the specs, you have 512 each, RAM and ROM. Wow, the OS is taking up tons of room!! You only have about 140 left for your own choice of apps and don't forget address book and other stuff. I'm not sure of the Intercept, but I saw 512+64 on the Samsung site. But I only have about 65MB left and I don't have tons of apps.

You're right, I looked at another site for the specs, you have 512 each, RAM and ROM. Wow, the OS is taking up tons of room!! You only have about 140 left for your own choice of apps and don't forget address book and other stuff. I'm not sure of the Intercept, but I saw 512+64 on the Samsung site. But I only have about 65MB left and I don't have tons of apps.
    The Intercept has the same ROM, for storing programs, but only half as much RAM, for running programs.

Samsung Intercept specs - Phone Arena
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Seeing as I started this thread, I figure it would be okay to update it. I ended up selling my Optimus S and going to a Palm Pixi (I had a Pre before). I couldn't deal with not being able to type well on it. I used Swype and tried some other keyboard apps, but I just could not get used to it. Even though the internet and messaging and everything loaded fast, there was no point to have all of that if I never felt like typing anything on it to get to a certain webpage or message someone. It also started doing dumb stuff like hanging up while I was on the phone and random little glitches like that. The latest update also made it so that I couldn't tether using Quicksettings. Now I use my Pre to tether :]

So now I'm back on WebOS. What I miss:
    - The android market, since most places have apps on there and not on webos, like my college or the mall.
    - The voice feature, but I never used it that much so it's not a big deal.
    - The zoom feature on the camera, and the cropping tool.

I'm really glad that I'm back to a palm phone. The pixi's keyboard is amazing and I love the squeakyness and feel of the keys, but I might switch between this and the Pre since the screen is so small. Multitasking is also much better on these palm phones than the Optimus. That's pretty much it.
    I know what you mean. Did you try swiftkey? That one works best for me.

The optimus has better battery life than my pre ever did.
    I also have great free apps from the amazon appstore with more daily.

I love the pixi keyboard too, if you get the pre you will miss it. (try the veer even that doesn't compare)
    Last edited by IcerC; 05/23/2011 at 08:06 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234