Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    This really isn't an exploit. Sprint normally gives a free trial to the mobile hotspot.
    The function is disabled out of the box, if you try to activate it through the menu, so no official free trial. Putting a custom widget on a home screen somehow bypasses that and turns it on.
    The one thing I keep going back to is that two of the biggest reasons people upgrade is for high def and bigger screens.

The LG is a low def small screen. I think it is the lowest def of the Android phones except for one foreign model.

This free phone actually costs nearly 2000 dollars over the next two years of your contract. For 90 cents more a day, you could have HD, twice the camera, 4G, and more on the big screen.

Sprint is the lowest price. Factor in the EVP discount and our price is ridiculously low even with 4G.

Life's short. Contacts are long. There is nothing else you will use every day, all day like your phone.

If you're already going to spend 2000 dollars, get whatever you really like best. If that is the LG get it, but not over 90 cents.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 12/07/2010 at 08:31 AM.
    The Samsung Intercept is lower resolution.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thought I'd throw in my two cents -- I'm in the same boat, I was a Pre early adopter and I'm coming up on my upgrade anniversary with Sprint. HP/Palm haven't released anything since, so I might as well take advantage.

The LG Optimus S seems like a very decent phone for the price (free) and a fun way to check out Android. I would imagine that plenty of people are in the same situation. Also, a no-cost (or low cost) Android phone to play with for a year while you wait for Palm is likely very tempting for those who were Palm loyal.

It's a shame that HP/Palm aren't keeping up, but I'm certainly hopeful that they'll have something exciting by the next contract renewal. I've been a loyal Palm guy for quite a while (several Treo's prior to the Pre), but the landscape has sure changed in the past few years.

Good luck, HP! Hope you're spending your time wisely and make a splash with your next revision. Until then, we'll see whether or not I (and others like me) get hooked on Android.
    LG optimus S is better than Samsung Transform or Sany Zio so I think it is good. However, Palm PRE is still better than that phone and "should" be just as fast if not faster when webOS 2.0 rolls around.

Unfortunately, Sprint does not have a great phone that is not on 4G.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I actually switched to LG optimus S 2 weeks ago. So far no regrets. LG is much better than transform and Zio. They are slow, laggy and buggy with no froyo.

I used WebOS for about a year starting with Sprint Pre and then going to Pixi. Before I switched to WebOS I was using HTC Hero running android 1.6. After Android 1.6 WebOS was refreshing and worked pretty well. I can't say the same thing about latest Android 2.2. Android came a long way and now it actually works pretty well.

Main reason for my switching however was and still is lack of developer support. I'm not talking about homebrew community. Its excellent and stuff that they come out with is amazing. Its a lack of applications that I use daily for my personal usage as well as for my business. Android market is on par with IOS market that is to say, I was able to find every application I needed. Few examples are: Evernote. Evernote on WebOS is horrid. They did release an "update" not too long ago but compared to Android and IOS counterpart its crap. Another example is Lastpass. Since I use randomly generated passwords for every site, I need lastpass on my mobile device. Yes there is a version of lastpass for WebOS but its seriously lacking compared to android version. Another issue for me was crappy hardware that webos was running on. Pixi and Pre are outdated and even though mutlitasking is much better on WebOS, I rarely got to experience it on my Pixi. Most of the time I was greeted with "Too many cards" and had to do a restart.

So far I installed custom ROM on my LG and I didn't get any out of memory errors, all my apps run perfectly, with no lag. Even though its not a "premium" android device, whatever LG did to the hardware seems to work. I tried going for Epic or Evo 4G but besides the 4G tax, size of these devices killed me. They are huge. I still have my premier upgrade on Sprint so it will be interesting to see if something good comes out that is smaller than EVO/EPIC phone.

When HP/Palm gets their stuff together and releases something that is good and actually works on getting developers on board, I will probably switch back, but for now I'm enjoying android and what it has to offer
    Well...looks like that was a quick battle. Yet another handset sells as many units in a few months as all WebOS devices put together globally in almost 19 months:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lgs-op...lion-sold-mark

Hopefully, HP will have a real competitor in this $0-99 bracket that doesn't go by the name Pre or Pixi.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Now that the LG optimus is a certified hit (over 2 million sold and counting) and the Palm pre sales have stalled, Is there really any hope left for this handset?

Lets break this down. The optimus is pretty much the same form factor.
    The Pre 2 has a faster processor and more memory. Optimus runs android 2.2 vs webOS 2.

Here's where I feel the big difference comes to play. The optimus is FREE on a 2yr contract where the Pre 2 is currently being offered for $399? on a 3yr?

Does webOS 2.0 justify this price difference? Is the general public ready to pay ANY premium just because it has webOS? Considering webOS offers less apps and is slower than android I doubt it.

I go as far as predicting even if the pre 2 was offered for free it would not generate the sales vol like the optimus.

The evidence shows webOS is an OS for the smartphone enthusiast, not the general public.
    intersting. the only person i know with a webos phone, other then me, dumped his pixi (had a pre but lost it), for this last week.

to quote him "I went Android baby!!!"
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Now that the LG optimus is a certified hit (over 2 million sold and counting) and the Palm pre sales have stalled, Is there really any hope left for this handset?

The Pre 2 has a faster processor and more memory. Optimus runs android 2.2 vs webOS 2.

Here's where I feel the big difference comes to play. The optimus is FREE on a 2yr contract where the Pre 2 is currently being offered for $399? on a 3yr?

Does webOS 2.0 justify this price difference? Is the general public ready to pay ANY premium just because it has webOS? Considering webOS offers less apps and is slower than android I doubt it.

I go as far as predicting even if the pre 2 was offered for free it would not generate the sales vol like the optimus.

The evidence shows webOS is an OS for the smartphone enthusiast, not the general public.
    It will get harder as well, all the bottom feeders are entering the android market - in the UK, you can get a android handset for 80 with a reasonable processor and screen - that's the total cost - not the contract cost - the total sim-free cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It will get harder as well, all the bottom feeders are entering the android market - in the UK, you can get a android handset for 80 with a reasonable processor and screen - that's the total cost - not the contract cost - the total sim-free cost.
    The 480x800 Zio from Sprint is available on Cricket for $229, no contract. The Cricket unlimited contract is $59 if you want it.

That's just the beginning. There are now "free" Androids for almost every carrier.

But 70% of the world still has dumbphones. 2011 will be the year of the off-contract Android. They will do nearly everything my EVO does just on small, low-def screens. Even 320x480 3" screens will be a world past where they are now.

- Craig
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But 70% of the world still has dumbphones. 2011 will be the year of the off-contract Android. They will do nearly everything my EVO does just on small, low-def screens. Even 320x480 3" screens will be a world past where they are now.
    In the UK, one of the biggest growth areas is for sim-only 30 day rolling contracts, I can see lots of people pairing smart-phones with that type of contract (which is what I've done). For what I do with a phone (I'm information rather than media centric), it doesn't make any sense for me to go onto a 12/18/24-month contract or spend an awful lot of money on a phone, a 3.5" OLED screen is plenty for me, unless there is a lot of movement by other players, Android is going to clean up in that side of the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post

Not only price but LG had sense enough to do a multi-carrier, global release. The big thing that hurts Palm still, not enough know they're still out there except a niche crowd. Visibility and marketing is still a huge problem for Palm.

You can say your product is better all you want, but if mainstream people can't buy it easily, no mass sales for you. Unless you're selling some exclusive product and want it that way and market as such. But Palm does almost no marketing at all, of any kind, it seems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Visibility and marketing is still a huge problem for Palm.

You can say your product is better all you want, but if mainstream people can't buy it easily, no mass sales for you.
    not saying they don't need marketing but they can "say" their product is better all they want but as long as other products actually are better; better cameras, better features, better app stores, better hardware, Better at music, better video chat, etc, it doesn't matter.

Saying it's better is fine but if they want to succeed they need to actually make a phone that is better. And not just to message boards people that already like Palm from way back but to a majority of consumers that will never preware, didn't used to have a Palm pilot or Treo, won't wait for "coming months" on a promise, won't wait 2 years for apps they want, and what everything the "other guys" have.
    Not only price but LG had sense enough to do a multi-carrier, global release. The big thing that hurts Palm still, not enough know they're still out there except a niche crowd. Visibility and marketing is still a huge problem for Palm.

You can say your product is better all you want, but if mainstream people can't buy it easily, no mass sales for you. Unless you're selling some exclusive product and want it that way and market as such. But Palm does almost no marketing at all, of any kind, it seems.
    Excellent points!!

By the time HP gets its own phones launched on a major carrier(s),only a few of us PreCentral-ites will remember that Palm even existed. The vast majority of customers will be looking to buy what is being heavily advertised;Android,iPhone and perhaps Blackberry. For all practical purposes, Palm and WebOS are dead in prospective customers' minds;HP should name their first phone (after the Pre2) the HP/WebOS Lazarus.
    blackmagic01, Palm seems to bank more on the OS features than hardware. RIM does almost the same. Their hardware is not up to par either.

The difference though is Palm has not made their mark properly, due to no marketing and no carriers. RIM places ads or gets the carrier to, and gets almost every carrier on board.

Neither company seems to be able to compete with iPhone or Android hardware, but RIM has made itself ubiquitous. Palm... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    Excellent points!!

By the time HP gets its own phones launched on a major carrier(s),only a few of us PreCentral-ites will remember that Palm even existed. The vast majority of customers will be looking to buy what is being heavily advertised;Android,iPhone and perhaps Blackberry. For all practical purposes, Palm and WebOS are dead in prospective customers' minds;HP should name their first phone (after the Pre2) the HP/WebOS Lazarus.
    Trends can turn on a dime though, we've seen it before. It's just that Palm does the same lame approach over and over with their Pre line. How could they not have foresight to stack the Pre 2 openly against the Optimus and any mid range Androids? But you don't do that with obscure releases! No ads and no carriers(well maybe 2). You can buy from HP's website and that's only if you know it exists. This is how you sell cell phones in large quantity?

Google made a similar mistake with the Nexus 1, apparently HP did not notice that mistake. And also must have figured that since Palm lost momentum on the first Pre release partially due to bad ads, no ads is better. But of course, with not enough carriers, maybe there's no use advertising.

HP Palm, you can do better!!

P.S. I saw some posters here say they would gladly take the Pre 2 to tide them over for Palm's "big phone", but Palm won't even sell it to their diehard fans!! No US carriers.

18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The 480x800 Zio from Sprint is available on Cricket for $229, no contract. The Cricket unlimited contract is $59 if you want it.

That's just the beginning. There are now "free" Androids for almost every carrier.

- Craig
    Just as an aside here - that 80 phone? It is now 20 ($31) as a Christmas promotion! That's not much more than a large pizza!
    blackmagic01, Palm seems to bank more on the OS features than hardware. RIM does almost the same. Their hardware is not up to par either.

The difference though is Palm has not made their mark properly, due to no marketing and no carriers. RIM places ads or gets the carrier to, and gets almost every carrier on board.

Neither company seems to be able to compete with iPhone or Android hardware, but RIM has made itself ubiquitous. Palm... yeah.
    If they are relying on features then they are fooling themselves because the other platforms have more features in their OS. But the OS isn't exactly the biggest deal for regular people. Regardless it's not an either or you need all of it. sure there are nice features in webos but other platforms have better features in many areas. Example consider the features in the camera.

First Consider the Pre camera features. It's pretty limited, flash on flash off, take picture, take video. that's about it.

Now consider the android camera. The following are from different camera's and builds but as far as i know they are from the default app.

from froyo

Macro mode. That's not in Webos

These are from the LG Ally phone. look at the features, iso, white ballance, image size, color effects,

you can cleary see there are places where other os have more features. Then add to that the wealth of apps that allow you to do things you just can't do and if the issue is features webos will be found wanting in many areas.
    That would be a flagship Android phone right? Because there are gimped Android cameras too Samsung Intercept depending on your phone. Though it did have auto-focus and I read Palm still does not. That can't be true, is it? The Pre 2 could easily compete against those types of phones, but no US carriers still.

That said, I'm still looking toward CES for a good 2.2 or Gingerbread phone. I want to go back to the Intercept because of the OS(guess I'd have to stick with K-9 for email), but the hardware specs are not that great. Except the keyboard, that was solid IMO. I'd take an Optimus for now, if I could get one. And I think there's a rumor of the Evo 2 coming out next year. I think it will be called the Evo HD though.

Rogers has finally released the Pre 2, so we have one NA carrier. But still no homefront carriers. Yeah, Palm is still selling the unlocked but not everyone wants AT&T or to pay $450. Plus for $450, there's the non-contract Evo, right? I could also get a Galaxy S.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast