Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    That makes some sense. In it's current form, and with the current available apps, what salesperson in their right mind would push Pre or Pre 2. This is not a question.
    Well, I didn't mean they were equally good choices. It's more like "yeah, we sell you a Pre if you're really intent on buying one."
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

As for the OS, keep in mind that the Galaxy S ads for both the phones and the Tab don't even mention Android (that's in print and on TV). It's not a selling point because a kabillion different phones do Android these days. They picked up what they did different, and they sold the heck out of it. Not once did Palm communicate what WebOS did different in an effective manner. They didn't communicate what was different about the hardware (e.g. Touchstone). They failed...repeatedly. And it wasn't because of lack of money. They had money for commercials. That didn't have the creativity for good ones. Still don't, apparently.
    Okay so if Big Red is so "innocent", how do you explain the crippled gps and lack of VZ showcase apps on the Plus? Sprint loaded all of it's apps on the Minus with no problem?

(Oh and since the Pre sold sooo poorly, how did they have the ALL TIME launch record for Sprint up until the EVO launch?)
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Verizon pushed the Droid over the Pre because it's...you know...a better phone?
    Not just that. It's their house brand. They partnered closely with Google and Motorola over the design, software, and the promotion. Slighting the Palm pre Plus or any other phone for that matter isn't "screwing them over". Their reps are under no obligation to sell any brand aside Verizon's. That is what they should be doing. They did their job and went above and beyond it.

Palm's job is to anticipate and adjust effectively. They did not. But we seem to be at an impasse, so I leave it to my dissenters.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    (Oh and since the Pre sold sooo poorly, how did they have the ALL TIME launch record for Sprint up until the EVO launch?)
    The Instinct had it before that. Dubious achievements, sir. The question is "Where Are They Now?"
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    it would make sense if they didnt push away, or pursuad a different purchase from potential buyers looking for a Palm device. It would make sense if they would address issues from customers who purchased a Palm device like the GPS issue. Why offer a choice to someone when someone makes that choice between options, only to be pushed away from that choice they just made. Its like a bean pie seller only selling bean pies, then starts selling pumpkin pies along side it, only to tell people the bean pies better then the pumpkin one whenever I get a offer for the pumpkin. If the thinking is bringing more customers your way, then thats bad business because people most likely will leave thinking they sell products they dont have any faith in.
    It makes sense for all those insisting upon a Palm device. In this case, the bean pies are better, hardware wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The Instinct had it before that. Dubious achievements, sir. The question is "Where Are They Now?"
    Not to mention a carrier in third or fourth place in the US all time record pales in comparison to another unnamed phone. All time record for Sprint? So what.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    It makes sense for all those insisting upon a Palm device. In this case, the bean pies are better, hardware wise.
    ? your statement dosent make sense, the question was about choices, not which one someone should choose for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ? your statement dosent make sense, the question was about choices, not which one someone should choose for whatever reason.
    It makes sense to be pushed away from a potential return item when the user makes the wrong "choice".
    while choice would be nice for us, verizon's business is bigger than us. I'm sure Palm phones make up such a small part of their consumer base, that it's probably costly to put any kind of energy to it. It's the same reason developers aren't supporting it. Not because they don't want to cover all bases, but because it doesn't make business sense to. If palm devices are going to be successful on Verizon, or any carrier for that matter, Palm has to create a device that a lot of people want to have.

pick any business in the entire world. Notice how they pick goods and services to offer based on the amount of $ they will bring in. When consumer demands tells them to support new goods and services they do so. Nordstrom's, doesn't carry football jersies because their customers aren't clamoring for them. Not offering them doesn't hurt there business. those that want jersies have to go to another store. Is nordstrom's at fault for not offering every choice to their customers?

sometimes a business will offer goods/services to their customers, only to realize that the offer was a mistake. In these situations, it's cheaper to push customers to the alternative, so that you can focus your attention to what is bringing you profit. Usually support for the failed venture is limited. I believe that's what's happening here.unfortunately for palm users, It just makes business sense.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 12/11/2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    while choice would be nice for us, verizon's business is bigger than us. I'm sure Palm phones make up such a small part of their consumer base, that it's probably costly to put any kind of
    energy to it. It's the same reason
    developers aren't supporting it. Not
    because they don't want to cover all
    bases, but because it doesn't make business sense to. If palm devices are
    going to be successful on Verizon, or any carrier for that matter, Palm has to create a device that a lot of people want to have.

pick any business in the entire world. Notice how they pick goods and services to offer based on the amount of $ they will bring in. When consumer demands
    tells them to support new goods and services they do so. Nordstrom's, doesn't carry football jersies because their customers aren't clamoring for
    them. Not offering them doesn't hurt there business. those that want jersies have to go to another store. Is nordstrom's at fault for not offering
    every choice to their customers?

sometimes a business will offer goods/services to their customers, only
    to realize that the offer was a mistake. In these situations, it's cheaper to push customers to the alternative, so that you can focus your attention to what is bringing you profit. Usually support for
    the failed venture is limited. I believe that's what's happening here.unfortunately for palm users, It just makes business sense.
    but then why is verizon carrying the pre 2, according to their customer catalog, available in stores...its shown there with a picture and "coming soon" underneath?

does nordstrom (interesting choice for an analogy!!!) carry football jersies anyway, just in case the husband or son who loves football comes along with his wife or mommy for shopping, just to store it way in the back of the store near the bathroom, collecting dust, and none of the sales workers or cashiers have any clue where it is or that they carry it in their store?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    but then why is verizon carrying the pre 2, according to their customer catalog, available in stores...its shown there with a picture and "coming soon" underneath?

does nordstrom (interesting choice for an analogy!!!) carry football jersies anyway, just in case the husband or son who loves football comes along with his wife or mommy for shopping, just to store it way in the back of the store near the bathroom, collecting dust, and none of the sales workers or cashiers have any clue where it is or that they carry it in their store?
    my guess is, that retail locations such as the verizon store have very limited shelf space. The holidays are the most important time of the year w/ regards to earning. It makes sense, to verizon to fill this shelf space with items that will be most successful during the holidays. I'm also willing to bet that they want to play to the strength of their sales reps during this time. Instead of rushing to train people on a new device, they went with the 'keep it simple' approach, because it works and it's profitable.

if they say it's coming soon, i'd just be happy it's coming soon. Your lucky it's coming at all. Maybe Verizon does have a bit of 'goodwill' after all.

to reiterate what i've said before, If the Pre 2 was a must have item, Verizon would carry it during the holidays but it isn't. I'm sure this multibillion dollar company knows what it's doing. I'd hate to be the rep who can't get a Samsung Fascinate into a customers hands by christmas all because my stock room had 20 pre 2's taking up space.
    still doesn't make sense as to why they would even agree to carry it at all. I understand verizon is a big company who knows what it's doing, and that android devices are hot right now and of course they will outsell the pre 2. But all the other devices listed as coming soon in that catalog are out now. You can also see from that catalog that the pre 2 will not have any vzw exlusive apps except navigator, will not have the nfl app, and prob will come with a crippled gps. Like you said, vzw is a big company, and is a smart company so I'm sure they have a reason why they are even carrying the pre 2, but I don't understand that reason. I do know the phone has been delayed, and I'm 99.9% sure it's because of vzw.
    If I were a phone company, why would I be so dumb as to take on a phone and not try to sell it? That is just bad business. Mind you, it's probably the reason why they are doing so poorly compared to AT&T. Not because of Pre sales, but because of business practices I'd imagine.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567