Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have GMail so i have had zero email issues. But i do have K-9 for my AOL account.
    to me not a surprise at all, though it is that they hold some sort of market at all(assuming palm os, relates to webos). As I stated IMO, I think HP is prepping for a major launch in 2011, and to me it seems highly unlikely Webos will flop this time around. With major things like money, resources, and captial to not only produce a great device, were their short comings last year. I see it as HP didnt just buy Webos and run with it, they kept some of the execs with Rub on board, that has the same vision it started with to help them realize it finally. A new acquisition to me isnt goin to be easy, and though releasing new/old hardware (pre 2) to anyone at this point to me was not a great move, it may have come down to excess inventory they just wanted to try and move. Though its easy to say why not license out Webos, atleast intially until they get out there (I would sort of lean that way for the first year) but If of course Palms team can keep reving up webos as a OS, and HP can provide the Hardware, funding, and marketing I really cant see them failing even though that can happen. Also market share as we should all know looking at how Android surged in 1 year isnt as a huge of a deal in obtaining it as everyone is making it out to be. HP could easily grab a big chunk of it (like android did) as soon as next year, as long as their next devices are executed correctly. Webos to me is different, in a sense that most people would prefer that over any other OS on the market if it can matched with hardware and specs. It is that dream OS the mix between Apple, and WM. I enjoy rooting for the underdog as long as I myself see's the potential in it, and with Webos I see it clearly.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Webos to me is different, in a sense that most people would prefer that over any other OS on the market if it can matched with hardware and specs. It is that dream OS the mix between Apple, and WM
    Most people would prefer it over any other OS? 1.3% marketshare says otherwise.
    Webos to me is different, in a sense that most people would prefer that over any other OS on the market if it can matched with hardware and specs. It is that dream OS the mix between Apple, and WM.
    It really isn't, though. And that type of thinking is what leads to disappointment when we read about just how poorly webOS is doing in the real world.

Have you seen The 40 Year Old Virgin? There's a scene in it about putting something on a pedestal. People seem to have a tendency to do that with webOS.
    Last edited by nappy; 12/03/2010 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It really isn't, though. And that type of thinking is what leads to disappointment when we read about just how poorly webOS is doing in the real world.

Have you seen The 40 Year Old Virgin? There's a scene in it about putting something on a pedestal. People seem to have a tendency to do that with webOS.
    naw homie read the statement, its just my opinion I think IMO it is what most people want, def not a fact.
    naw homie read the statement, its just my opinion I think IMO it is what most people want, def not a fact.
    I get that...but have you ever noticed how happy people who have switched to Android (like dbd, Hatchetjack, and Brain Mantis) seem to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    again a opinion of mine not a fact. IMO of course mindshare is down, because even with the inital Pre it wasent on hardware, specs that the masses wanted. People are puppets like people on here. If tomarrow not just if HP releases a phone running webos thats nice, but if millions were sold the people who state gloom and doom, would be the first ones in line to pickit up. Regardless if they like it or not.
    I get that...but have you ever noticed how happy people who have switched to Android (like dbd, Hatchetjack, and Brain Mantis) seem to be?
    yeah, but we really don't know if its because of the hardware, specs, and excitment surrounding the device, or because they really like android over webos. To me im all for people moving on, and should so because of no update to webos (hardware wise). Though some of us who are still on a pre, or pixi really don't mind the hardware, and really enjoy webos over android and the new and better hardware its ran on.
    yeah, but we really don't know if its because of the hardware, specs, and excitment surrounding the device, or because they really like android over webos. To me im all for people moving on, and should so because of no update to webos (hardware wise). Though some of us who are still on a pre, or pixi really don't mind the hardware, and really enjoy webos over android and the new and better hardware its ran on.
    Perhaps you could ask them. There are plenty of respondents you could go to.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Perhaps you could ask them. There are plenty of respondents you could go to.
    sure we could, but I believe its really hard sometimes hard to access the reason why people buy different devices. It easy to say its so much faster, better screen, hardware etc. I had a Evo and yes the hardware, and specs are leaps past the pre, though I decided myself to sell it and keep my pre, just due to the fact that I like Webos more then Android. So me personally It dosent make much sense to try and pick apart someones brain, on a reason for them picking a newer device over a old aged one.
    I hear ya.

The point I'm trying to make is, outside of the P|C bubble, webOS is a little worse than everyone here makes it out to be. And iOS/Android are significantly better than people realize.
    I hear ya.

The point I'm trying to make is, outside of the P|C bubble, webOS is a little worse than everyone here makes it out to be. And iOS/Android are significantly better than people realize.
    Your exactly correct, and unfortantly trying to make people see, even the gloomy side of what really is, is like telling a last place teams hardcore fan that their team sucks.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Personally I prefer Android too. So much more versatile. The one problem I had was email, which I need. Both Androids I have did not have reliable email delivery. I had to manually pull a lot of my email myself. Even an old WM phone I had did better. And even a dumbphone I have signs me in to view new email on popular programs at least.

What does your brother use, K9? That's the only thing I saw that might help with the email problem on Android. Blackberry, no problem there. Email on top of email, lol.

Also Blackberry seems more secure, although an ancient OS. Though I believe I could live with a 6.0 device.

I think I'm going to wait for a good Gingerbread phone and see if the email problem gets fixed. 2.1 and 2.2 are great for all other things though.
    actually know idea what he users for email. he lives on the other side of the country so i haven't seen him in months, so i haven't seen his actual phone. I Just know he has an Android now. And that he posted on his facebook about his love for his new phone. My pre is sometimes funky with email too. It's normally good enough which is all i care about in terms of delivering stuff on time but it does occasionally just not register that i have new emails.
    Gartner Global Market share
    Gartner Says Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales Grew 35 Percent in Third Quarter 2010; Smartphone Sales Increased 96 Percent

i'm not going to start a new thread so i figured i'd link to this statement of global market share. Sadly for webos it's not even mentioned. But that's not why i posted it. i figure some may find it enlightening. Like the fact that for all the bashing of companies like samsung they sell more units then apple globally. As does Nokia. Like them or not they are making money. I'm pretty sure this is all phones too not just smartphones. Oh i do notice Samsung has 10% of the smartphone market. Kinda interesting. Also symbian and android leading ios globally in terms of market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    Try 3.9% (as I called in threads before this report was released.) Sorry to inform you but MINDSHARE != MARKETSHARE. (Neilsen = mindshare, ComScore = marketshare)

Palm GAINED some users last 3 month period and still has over 2 MILLION users. Sorry, as much as you and mikah912, dandj13, nappy, and others would LOVE to believe there is this MASS exodus from Palm, it just ain't happenin'.

Net loss the PREVIOUS 3 month period to date was...150,000 users. At the current rate of attrition, webOS WILL be dead....3.5 years from now.

comScore Reports October 2010 U.S. Mobile Subscriber Market Share - comScore, Inc
    Dude...have you even read your own link? 3.9 means they lost TWENTY PERCENT of their marketshare from three months prior, and that is in a growing market when all of their phones were either free or HP paid you $50 to take it. This while their competition were charging $200 more and even facing supply constraints (e.g. Evo).

You think that makes for a rosy outlook? Wow...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Dude...have you even read your own link? 3.9 means they lost TWENTY PERCENT of their marketshare from three months prior, and that is in a growing market when all of their phones were either free or HP paid you $50 to take it. This while their competition were charging $200 more and even facing supply constraints (e.g. Evo).

You think that makes for a rosy outlook? Wow...
    Wow, statistics magic. Pick a reality, and I'll find a percentage that proves it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Wow, statistics magic. Pick a reality, and I'll find a percentage that proves it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Except it's not trickery or manipulation. It's basic math. If I have 4.9% of something and then drop to 3.9%, I didn't lose one percent of whatever I had. I actually lost just over a fifth, or twenty percent.

To put it in perspective, not even Windows Mobile 6.x shed as many customers (they dropped 17.8 percent), and that was with a way more outdated OS and handsets than WebOS, not to mention Microsoft announcing Windows Phone 7.

Essentially, at that rate, contrary to Cobrakon's sketchy math - WebOS would have NO users in four more quarters/one year...not 3.5 years from now. Although just one quarter of losing twenty percent of your users is pretty indicative that your platform is currently dead, hence only Windows Mobile 6.x sharing a similar rate of decay as WebOS.
    Cobrakon is also ignoring the fact that the attrition rate is increasing every quarter for Palm. No matter how it is sliced it is NOT a favorable situation. Developers seem to think 2M users does not male for a large enough market to produce the minimum ROI. I'm not sure how anyone can paint a rosy picture from all this. Oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    LOL. Mikah912 is hi-larious. When did I say Palms current market share was "rosy". Those weren't my words, but then it's much easier to argue when you control both sides so making up statements is easy. I'll break it down so you can keep up...

Palm IS LOSING CUSTOMERS at a rate of about 50k users per month. NET LOSS (meaning all users lost plus new users added) since June is approx 648,000 (fall from 2.7m to 2m+) That does NOT signal "mass exodus" or "everyone dumping Palm" no matter how much hate spin you put on it.

To give some perspective, if 2,000,000 people give you $1.99, you'd have $3.98 MILLION Dollars. Still seem "insignificant"?
    Wait...what?

You cite the ComScore report as gospel and contradict it with this post above. Which is it? If Palm was losing users at 50K per month, that would mean that the 150k lost in the period of the ComScore report was just over 20 percent of their customer base. Thus, a grand global total of 750,000 users is Palm's combined marketshare for WebOS and PalmOS.

Since Palm's own sellthrough figures totaled before the HP acquisition put them at 1.4 million and they have given away or paid people to take an unspecified amount more since then, we know this to be farce. Accordingly, your oft-cited "150K" figure is bunk. Of course, you muddy the water again by saying they've lost 650K "net" in 6 months which would denote a rate of 108K (not 50K) customers a month leaving. Even if we swept aside the details and stuck with your final "2.7 million -> 2 million in 6 months", that would mean Palm would shed 50 percent of their user base by next June, and the rest by the June after at this rate. Keep in mind that their retail presence at Best Buy and Radio Shack, along with their footprint at Verizon and Sprint is all but gone, so this should accelerate the decline with no product available at these venues for purchase.

So, however you total it from whatever report...it's most certainly "mass exodus" and rapid descent to oblivion barring radical course correction and soon.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast