1.    #1  
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ata_usage.html

A new report shows that Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform overtook Apple's iOS in terms of U.S. mobile Internet usage in November.

I'm not sure I believe this.
    i'll bet it's a result of at&t's new data plans...that must have slowed down how much iphone users are browsing.
  3.    #3  
    I can believe iOS goes down in share while Android goes up but I don't believe that RIM is getting that more popular. 35%?
    Well, the Nielsen numbers that came out this morning are an interesting counterpoint. The common theme is that Android is eating subscribers from everyone - iPhone included - but it seems to be hurting RIM and Windows Mobile the most.

RIM leaking so many people to Android is what's helped Apple squeak into the top spot. This will just continue to worsen for RIM.

I can't wait for the day that WebOS registers on these graphs and studies as something besides "Other" or "Linux". Kinda sad...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

I can't wait for the day that WebOS registers on these graphs and studies as something besides "Other" or "Linux". Kinda sad...
    Webos is on this chart, we made it out of other land! It's the darkest green near the bottom, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Where is webos in all this. I thought Iphone was the best of the best - I guess I was wrong.
    Do u change your picture every day? Your throwing me off here. Common Internet courtesy is the same picture for a month or two :P
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Webos is on this chart, we made it out of other land! It's the darkest green near the bottom, lol
    I meant on the marketshare chart I posted a link to. Should make Apple fans like Dandbj13, Untidy Guy, and Cardfan happier than the original post of this thread.

But even with this chart, it's lumped in with a bunch of other murky-labeled OSes in a way that makes it tough to distinguish. Pretty sure that's not by accident.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Makes you wonder even with all the people using the iPhone spoof patch the iOS numbers are still dropping
    I know ios' data decline started before 4.2 came out, but this might lead to further decline. I'm wondering if this was in iphone4s' original os. iOS 4.2 for iPhone eases network congestion and improves battery life | TiPb
  10.    #10  

The most interesting thing about this is the continued decent marketshare of Windows Mobile. This is prior to the launch of WP7. I'd be interested in finding out what kind of devices these are. Come to think of it, I did see an Compaq PDA still in daily use this past weekend.

An intriguing question, from looking at this, is whether there might be more Palm devices out there running Windows Mobile like Treo Pro's than Palm devices running webOS.
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 12/01/2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Who is using Symbian in the US is the good question.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Who is using Symbian in the US is the good question.
    Are there even any subsidized Nokia smartphones available in the US? If not, then how can they outnumber "Palm OS" users by more than two to one? And why does "Linux" always show up on these charts even though I can't recall ever seeing one.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Isn't PalmOS and WebOS (linux) different? Perhaps those aren't the correct numbers, and in fact WebOS is part of that Linux number not PalmOS number.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    Isn't PalmOS and WebOS (linux) different? Perhaps those aren't the correct numbers, and in fact WebOS is part of that Linux number not PalmOS number.
    Is that what they're counting it as? They could gotten their terminology wrong, like everyone else does.
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    There's other Linux based phone operating systems. Meego and Bada come to mind.
    Maemo too. I'm sure there are a good handful of N900 users in the US.
    So how does Apps vs Web work with these numbers? Since there's an app for everything on the iPhone, my "guess" is that iPhone folks use the web less and apps more. Does an app for say Bank of America rank the same as someone navigating to the BOA mobile (or regular) site? Just wondering if these numbers speak less of popularity and more of functionality (i.e. lower equals more apps and less actual browser use). Off to read the articles I go.

Update
    So after going through the articles, the first one points to "page hits". I'm still left with my question. If an app uses web services, would those "hits" be included in page hits that are typically scanned for these types of numbers? If everyone on one platform uses an app while people on the other platform goes straight to the website, would it not seem like the first platform uses less of the web (simply because the "service hits" were missed while scanning for "page hits")?
    Last edited by taharka; 12/01/2010 at 12:16 PM.