Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Let me start with this. I am a devoted WebOS user and apologist. I truly believe that it is better than the iPhone/iPad system and Android system.

However, I just bought a Galaxy Tab for my mobile computing needs. It is a great device though I still I prefer the WebOS functionality. The reason I am posting here is to have some sort of outlet for the HP/Palm people (yes, I will be emailing them too.)

HP/Palm,
    If you aren't reading these forums, you are sorely out of touch. You people MUST get to market or at least leak some information to your devoted users about upcoming technology. I purchased the Galaxy Tab because I desperately need a mobile Pad type of device and I have little to no indication of your progress towards delivering a compatible development in the near future. As I begin to invest my experience in the Android realm, you risk losing me as a consumer forever. Please use this information as motivation for dissemination of ANY kind of information regarding your upcoming products. I hope I will be in the position to embrace you once again if, in fact, you do come out with something compelling within any reasonable time frame.

Frankly, an HP Slate running WebOS, even if it weren't completely finished or a just a demo, would have been some motivation for me to hold out.

Good Luck and Farewell,
    NSR
    +1 all the same for me

Got an iPad mostly out of want, not need. But I miss webos functionality herenand there. But they were too late to market. I don't know how soon it'll be before I again feel the want to upgrade tablets, but wont be for a wile as this is my first.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    +1 all the same for me

Got an iPad mostly out of want, not need. But I miss webos functionality herenand there. But they were too late to market. I don't know how soon it'll be before I again feel the want to upgrade tablets, but wont be for a wile as this is my first.
    Clearly, my motivation for posting here is due to my affection for WebOS. My wife has an iPad and it is also a truly great piece of hardware. However, I am increasingly frustrated by the rigid nature of its operation. Don't get me wrong, it's super smooth, but I hate how Apple "boxes you in" to their way of operating. Further, both apple's and google's claim of "multitasking" is a farce.

One thing going against Palm in all this is that fact that I like to invest in the full array of accessories. Once those items are purchased, I don't like to switch systems. I suspect that most high end users are similar. This is the reason that I have stuck with Palm up this point. Unfortunately, they are getting left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    HP/Palm,
    If you aren't reading these forums, you are sorely out of touch. You people MUST get to market or at least leak some information to your devoted users about upcoming technology.

Hasn't HP already leaked information? Told people what, and when the Palm Pad was coming out?

Or do you mean you want MORE leaked information?
    Take it from Rahul Sood...it's never too late. The window never closes, even after people start buying a competitor's products. I'm sure Apple will start leaking iPad customers like a sieve once all of these alternatives hit the market without the magic combination of price + no carrier + apps tailored for form factor + great content ecosystem.

Yeah....that's the ticket.
    @RUSH have you switched yet? Your posts as of late seem to suggest you are contemplating a change. Just curious.

@The topic...I think ecosystem buy-in is something Palm has always underestimated. Once people buy iPads and Galaxy Tabs hey start looking at apps and accessories for those devices. Once they'vestarted purchasing those "extras", they tend to stick with that product and the window to switch closes.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Hasn't HP already leaked information? Told people what, and when the Palm Pad was coming out?

Or do you mean you want MORE leaked information?
    Anybody hanging around for a "coming Q1 of blah-de-blah" sentence when products that meet their needs are available NOW deserves whatever HP launches with a press release.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Take it from Rahul Sood...it's never too late. The window never closes, even after people start buying a competitor's products. I'm sure Apple will start leaking iPad customers like a sieve once all of these alternatives hit the market without the magic combination of price + no carrier + apps tailored for form factor + great content ecosystem.

Yeah....that's the ticket.
    It will happen once he makes use of that magical screwdriver he spoke of. Apparently, the competition (and defectors) won't know what hit them.
    Remember, even certain highly visible Palm people have...umm..."committed iPad" while many here continue to wait for the "coming months".
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It will happen once he makes use of that magical screwdriver he spoke of. Apparently, the competition (and defectors) won't know what hit them.
    All snark aside, I wonder if HP found a replacement for "director of global gaming".
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    @RUSH have you switched yet? Your posts as of late seem to suggest you are contemplating a change. Just curious.

@The topic...I think ecosystem buy-in is something Palm has always underestimated. Once people buy iPads and Galaxy Tabs hey start looking at apps and accessories for those devices. Once they'vestarted purchasing those "extras", they tend to stick with that product and the window to switch closes.
    And I would argue the same applies to phones. Once you find an OS that has apps and accessories that you actually WANT to invest in, its hard to give that up and go backwards. i.e., going from apps offered in the App Store/Android Market back to the merger offerings of the App Catalog.
    OP - "Love means never having to say you're sorry" If you really loved webOS you wouldn't leave.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    All snark aside, I wonder if HP found a replacement for "director of global gaming".
    Man, I would love to see a job description for that position.
    I was contemplating asking for the Galaxy Tab for christmas but I can't bring myself to do it.

Has nothing to do with what Hpalm "might do" in the future.
    I just am very apprehensive about buying mobile technology right BEFORE CES.

Next year is supposed to be a HUGE year for Tabs.
    Many experts believe Android will end up with AT LEAST 15% of the tablet market by the end of the year. [And I guess that's supposed to be a conservative estimate]

I question the intelligence of Samsung having released the Tab when they did.
    It's very, very likely that CES will reveal Tabs that destroy the Galaxy Tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I was contemplating asking for the Galaxy Tab for christmas but I can't bring myself to do it.

Has nothing to do with what Hpalm "might do" in the future.
    I just am very apprehensive about buying mobile technology right BEFORE CES.

Next year is supposed to be a HUGE year for Tabs.
    Many experts believe Android will end up with AT LEAST 15% of the tablet market by the end of the year. [And I guess that's supposed to be a conservative estimate]

I question the intelligence of Samsung having released the Tab when they did.
    It's very, very likely that CES will reveal Tabs that destroy the Galaxy Tab.
    I'm glad the Samsung released the Tab. I've been telling everyone that a 7" tablet is a perfect size; but sometimes privately I was thinking it may not be.

Once I was able to hold and play with the Tab at Verizon, I know that for me a 7" tablet is the perfect size!!

I'm never going to buy a tablet without at least Honeycomb, the Android OS version optimized for tablets. The reason is you cannot trust the manufactories/carriers to update the Android OS and I don't root any of my devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I've been telling everyone that a 7" tablet is a perfect size; but sometimes privately I was thinking it may not be.
    Now what on earth would be the motivation for that? "Telling people" one thing but thinking another, or that you might be wrong?

Fans, and their investment in product labels (or anti-investment, as the case may be, such as criticizing a competing product) crack me up!

(Or maybe you have a *great* reason for doing this, like, you work for Samsung and are obligated to be an evangelist...? )
    Last edited by finngirl; 11/29/2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    I'm glad the Samsung released the Tab. I've been telling everyone that a 7" tablet is a perfect size; but sometimes privately I was thinking it may not be.

Once I was able to hold and play with the Tab at Verizon, I know that for me a 7" tablet is the perfect size!!

I'm never going to buy a tablet without at least Honeycomb, the Android OS version optimized for tablets. The reason is you cannot trust the manufactories/carriers to update the Android OS and I don't root any of my devices.
    I don't disagree with the tablet size at all, I think it's a pretty good size, but why are you releasing a tablet a month and a half prior to [what we assume will be] a plethora of new tablets that will, very likely, be much better in specs?

Just seems like they don't have much respect for their customers doing so. [Also seems like their customers aren't very smart ]

I mean, don't misunderstand, I could see not buying something because in a year from now it will be out of date [you'd never buy anything] ...but we're taking about a few months.
    I understand that you wanted something from HP/Palm, but I feel that the Tab is an inferior device, and the iPad doesn't fulfill my computing needs of a portable device either.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    No, but they know how to "play" the palm users....
    I played with the Galaxy Tab in an Office Max and was impressed. It's not what I want (I want a PalmPad!) but the size was a lot better than I thought it would be. The display was also nice and the glass screen is so much nicer than plastic.

While I'm definitely waiting for Palm, the Galaxy reinforced my desire for a tab. If HP says 'Q1' or 'Coming Months' at CES I might jump to another device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast