1.    #1  
    Interesting read with few (if any) surprises at this link.
    I was a little surprised with how some people rated their smartphones, I was less surprised with the reviews of the carriers. AT&T has been a pain in the *** for most people for a while now. As much as I hear Verizon people complain more than others, they seem to be happier than most. I think there is some sort of contradiction there...

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I was a little surprised with how some people rated their smartphones, I was less surprised with the reviews of the carriers. AT&T has been a pain in the *** for most people for a while now. As much as I hear Verizon people complain more than others, they seem to be happier than most. I think there is some sort of contradiction there...
    There's no contradiction at all. A small number of vocal people complain about Verizon, often because they either can't afford the service or they can't pass the Verizon credit checks. However, for as long as I can remember, Verizon has led the industry in low churn rate numbers. People simply don't leave Verizon ... Because they know it's the best value, even if it isn't the cheapest.

And don't just take my word for it. JD Power is one of the most respected ratings companies in the industry. Verizon is perennially the number 1 provider in most of the 6 regions of the US for both call quality can customer service. I suggest you stop relying solely on Internet forum comments as your source for accurate information.
    To me, the biggest takeaway from these results is that Apple consistently tops the chart. Apple products are not a passing fad. Year after year, the iPhone proves to be reliable and very satisfactory to the people who actually use it.

This is what Android is lacking. Yes, Android gains new users, but they do not tend to be satisfied with their purchase over time. It is not a matter of specks and features. It is all about keeping customers happy in the long-term. That is where Palm needs to apply their energy.
    The last category surprises me the most, "AT&T Customers Least Happy with Network Service"

All their commercials say they have the fastest speeds, best service, no drops, etc...
    (I never believed them in the first place) but now this just solidifies my beliefs.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    There's no contradiction at all. A small number of vocal people complain about Verizon, often because they either can't afford the service or they can't pass the Verizon credit checks. However, for as long as I can remember, Verizon has led the industry in low churn rate numbers. People simply don't leave Verizon ... Because they know it's the best value, even if it isn't the cheapest.

And don't just take my word for it. JD Power is one of the most respected ratings companies in the industry. Verizon is perennially the number 1 provider in most of the 6 regions of the US for both call quality can customer service. I suggest you stop relying solely on Internet forum comments as your source for accurate information.
    Painting with a broad brush aren't we?

Being cost aware and not being able to afford service are different things. Sure, I could afford (and pass the credit check for), a Lexus, but to me, my Chevy works just fine at a third the cost.

My parents are Verizon customers with exceptional credit and penny pinch with the best, but even they get irritated with being nickel and dimed by Verizon. They only stick with them out of habit, even though Sprint can offer them the same quality service in our area at about 20 percent less.

Brand loyalty can actually be born of ignorance. I had Verizon for years, but switched to save money. I added picture messaging back in the day for 15 bucks a month, and even though I could afford the service with Verizon, I definitely would have prefered to spend/save the 50 bucks a month rather than give it to Verizon.

Anyway, I think that Verizon is great and has great service, but you do pay a premium which, in many cases, is not worth it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

7.    #8  
    In a somewhat related article from PC World, they compare the quality of various tech products and services with winners and losers as the final category (The Tech Brands You Can Trust).

- In the computer business (laptops and desktops), Apple and Asus dominate while Dell and HP are worst.

- In smartphones, Motorola was top and RIM was last.

- In the wireless provider category, T-Mobile is tops while AT&T is worst.

- In the Printer category, Brother and Canon take top honors while HP (!) and Lexmark are in the cellar.

I wonder how all the low HP ratings will be addressed in their upcoming products.
    In a somewhat related article from PC World, they compare the quality of various tech products and services with winners and losers as the final category (The Tech Brands You Can Trust).

- In the computer business (laptops and desktops), Apple and Asus dominate while Dell and HP are worst.

- In the Printer category, Brother and Canon take top honors while HP (!) and Lexmark are in the cellar.

I wonder how all the low HP ratings will be addressed in their upcoming products.
    Definitely agree with ASUS being on top. Their RoG line especially is an amazing value.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    To me, the biggest takeaway from these results is that Apple consistently tops the chart. Apple products are not a passing fad. Year after year, the iPhone proves to be reliable and very satisfactory to the people who actually use it.

This is what Android is lacking. Yes, Android gains new users, but they do not tend to be satisfied with their purchase over time. It is not a matter of specks and features. It is all about keeping customers happy in the long-term. That is where Palm needs to apply their energy.
    I didn't see anything specifically about android.

If you look Motorola and HTC are right up in there with apple. And they happen to be doing the best with their android based devices.
    <quote deleted>

While the analogy was amusing, Wireless providers get more subscribers typically by word of mouth and in this industry a bad reputation is nearly impossible to get rid of. When I lived in the midwest in the earlier part of the decade Sprint was considered not good because of people's bad
    experience several years earlier. However, my friends who had Sprint considered it not only to work great but work better than their older providers.

I am living in the eastern part of the country and moved to Sprint AFTER using their 30 day Money back guarantee i.e. if you are not satisfied with the service you can cancel without any problem. I found out that my service is MUCH better than either t-mobile or AT&T. However, again my friends cite their (or in most case some friend of theirs') experiences 10-12 years ago to not choose Sprint.

The only way you can tell if a wireless vendor does not have good service is if you use it today. Sprint offers you a way to check that without costing you any money, none of the other providers do.

Off current topic but still important to note is that my iphone 3G had many issues (lost/missed calls or missed texts sometimes with my phone in my hand and getting a missed call while never getting a ring) that I never had with my sony-ericson phone. So, my own experience leads me to believe iphone (at lease the 3G version) had connectivity issues which have been fixed by the newer version.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/30/2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: quoted text deleted - original deleted by mod
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I found out that my service is MUCH better than either t-mobile or AT&T. However, again my friends cite their (or in most case some friend of theirs') experiences 10-12 years ago to not choose Sprint.
    Right now it's pretty generally accepted that the CDMA networks offer better and more stable coverage in the US than the GSM networks. Saying that Sprint did a better job then T-mobile or AT&T is practically obvious.
    I figured someone would have a response that confused price with value. And not surprisingly, a poorly thought out car analogy is included to further obfuscate the issue.

A more appropriate car analogy would have to be between:

1. A car that intermittently stops working for no apparent reason, relies on other cars' services for it to run effectively, and is built by a company that has been losing customers consistently for consecutive years, suffers continually high customer churn, but it's cheap.

and

2. A car that pretty much works all the time, anywhere, doesn't rely on other cars' services to function, and is built by a company that's consistently growing and has very low customer turnover, but costs more.

But since that's all nonsense, the car analogy simply fails in this comparison.

As for value (vice cost), dropped calls, poor connections, limited coverage areas, forced/planned roaming (with limits), limited phone selection, and poor customer service all contribute to the value calculus and it's worth it to me (and 93+ million other wireless users) to pay a little more money for a lot less hassle. At the same time, it appears you view your own time as less valuable than a typical Verizon subscriber, which is fine in and of itself. However, don't confuse the acceptance of an inferior overall product for a cheaper price as "value" - it's just cheap.
    Sprint and Verizon deliver similar if not exactly the same results in my area. One costs me fifty dollars more, so I chose the better value. My analogy fits just fine.

Chevy at 20k, or Lexus at 60K? Both get me where I want to go and have very similar features. I choose the Chevy.

Verizon and Sprint perform the same in my area for both data and call quality. My experience is that Sprints customer service actually cares more about me as a customer than Verizon. Verizon is a good company with a good product at a price that is reasonable, but Sprint, to me, is also a good company with a good product and a price that is more reasonable.

I choose Sprint.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I've had a similar experience. I was on Verizon for years (back to when it was called Bell Atlantic Mobile). I switched to Sprint to get the Pre and find that my service is the same in my area at a much lower price.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Sprint and Verizon deliver similar if not exactly the same results in my area. One costs me fifty dollars more, so I chose the better value. My analogy fits just fine.

Chevy at 20k, or Lexus at 60K? Both get me where I want to go and have very similar features. I choose the Chevy.

Verizon and Sprint perform the same in my area for both data and call quality. My experience is that Sprints customer service actually cares more about me as a customer than Verizon. Verizon is a good company with a good product at a price that is reasonable, but Sprint, to me, is also a good company with a good product and a price that is more reasonable.

I choose Sprint.
    My experience with the two is that anywhere Sprint works Verizon works but that the opposite hasn't been true.

As for customer service, Verizon seems to care a lot about their customers. Our contact experience has always been excellent with them and they've always been able to accommodate us.

this confirms what I have flogged for months (or longer): that HP's last 2 CEOs (Fiorina and Hurd) pursuit of short term profit caused HP to produce crap hardware while outsourcing their support and R&D to India.

Its to be seen if HP's new executive team turns things around and restores HP's reputation -- I'm dubious until they show otherwise.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Painting with a broad brush aren't we?

Being cost aware and not being able to afford service are different things. Sure, I could afford (and pass the credit check for), a Lexus, but to me, my Chevy works just fine at a third the cost.

My parents are Verizon customers with exceptional credit and penny pinch with the best, but even they get irritated with being nickel and dimed by Verizon. They only stick with them out of habit, even though Sprint can offer them the same quality service in our area at about 20 percent less.

Brand loyalty can actually be born of ignorance. I had Verizon for years, but switched to save money. I added picture messaging back in the day for 15 bucks a month, and even though I could afford the service with Verizon, I definitely would have prefered to spend/save the 50 bucks a month rather than give it to Verizon.

Anyway, I think that Verizon is great and has great service, but you do pay a premium which, in many cases, is not worth it.
    Only in America, place a high price on anything and say that it performs better than the competition and sheep will flock to it. i.e Dyson, Bose,Verizon wireless....