Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91
  1.    #1  
    Censorship of your app store?
    Pathetic...especially for this reason.

    http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/arti...2373502,00.asp

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  2. #2  
    I don't hate apple. Wish they were more hack friendly, but I get it.
  3. #3  
    I don't hate Apple. If I could trade the webOS app store selection for their app store selection, I would. Case closed.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I don't hate apple. Wish they were more hack friendly, but I get it.
    You find it acceptable to censor a marketplace because an app focuses on your competitor.

    Strongly disagree. Very, very strongly.

    The day censorship is allowed on the internet or anything related is the day this all ends.

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  5. #5  
    did you read farther down where it says the iphone ignores obscene language in text messages? Holy cow.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you read farther down where it says the iphone ignores obscene language in text messages? Holy cow.
    There are ways to turn the filters off.

    And no, I don't hate Apple, quite like their stuff, actually. Have a Mac on the way, now.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    There are ways to turn the filters off.

    And no, I don't hate Apple, quite like their stuff, actually. Have a Mac on the way, now.
    Can't turn off a filter for banned apps.

    People just don't get it.

    Censorship, especially of this kind, is one of the worst and most "evil" things a big company can pull.

    Anyone remember the lawsuit where they tried to claim that you buy a lease to use the phone and don't actually own the phone itself?
    That's pure "evil"

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  8. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #8  
    They aren't censoring what you can access on the internet. They are censoring what you can get through their PROPRIETARY, PRIVATELY OWNED channel.

    What you are implying is akin to suggesting that Walmart must carry every known product in the world.
  9. #9  
    censorship is a function of govt. Apple is just making business decisions, however stupid they may be.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    They aren't censoring what you can access on the internet. They are censoring what you can get through their PROPRIETARY, PRIVATELY OWNED channel.

    What you are implying is akin to suggesting that Walmart must carry every known product in the world.
    It's the same thing, especially now.
    What would happen if Google censored out webos out of their searches? Like you say its "proprietary and privately owned"

    Unacceptable.

    It really bothers me that so many of you people claim it doesn't bother you. My guess is its because they are censoring android.

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #11  
    Apple are a fantastic company who drive forward the market and innovation in the market. I say that as someone who doesn't own any apple products and doesn't want any.

    If you don't agree with their walled garden don't buy into it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Apple are a fantastic company who drive forward the market and innovation in the market. I say that as someone who doesn't own any apple products and doesn't want any.

    If you don't agree with their walled garden don't buy into it.
    So you're suggesting that, because you deem a few of their products as 'innovative'...that makes doing things like this and lawsuits to try to make buying a phone into a license based system okay?

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk
  13. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #13  
    When the revolution comes, those jerks from the Apple marketing department will be the second against the wall.
  14. #14  
    There is censorship everywhere. Do you think Palm has approved and carried every app that's been submitted to them? There's even censorship on this very forum.

    It does not make a company evil.

    Even by turning down an app that promotes their competition, they are not being evil. That's just smart for their business.

    You're not going to see Pepsi promoting Coke products!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15. #15  
    I'm going to say, while I don't agree with every one of their decisions about the App store, I really don't hate apple at all. I've found that the Palm webOS community is really, a lot like the Apple Mac OS X community as it was five years ago, when I got my first Mac. Rahul Sood has said the same thing, and that's my biggest indication that Palm is onto something.
  16. mauro1's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #16  
    I don't hate Apple. However by the same token I refuse to stick myself in Steve's walled garden. I readily recognize that said walled garden is the preferred way for many people. What I can't agree with is the "Steve's way or the highway" approach to computing.

    I bring a simple example to illustrate the point. I have a mac mini for the kids. Each has their own account for it, with parental controls enabled. I like that a lot. I like that I do not have to worry about *inflicting* (the word is accurately implying my meaning) onto unsuspecting, innocent kids. However it boggles my mind why Steve in all his enlightened wisdom chose to not include the ability to simply disable an account. Like if a kid is grounded a parent can't simply flip a switch.

    Before someone posts about messing with allowed use times as a workaround realize that the point of NOT having to workaround is the point of the example and the "use case".

    Similar examples with iOS platform exist... Almost unexplicable inability to do something that the end user finds logical. And that is why I choose webOS for my mobile computing platform.

    cheers! /mauro
  17. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #17  
    I don't hate Apple. They have some good products, I just don't buy them because they're always overpriced.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  18. #18  
    I also don’t “Hate” Apple but I will never buy another product produced by them. I had a Mac a few years ago and every additional peripheral I tried to purchase had to come from Apple or be approved by Apple. They also advertised PC compatibility but the Microsoft Office Suite could not access printer drivers or enough memory to accomplish anything. The exclusivity of Apple products demands higher prices and forces brand loyalty by blocking out any competition on their platforms. I just refuse to do business with a company that thinks they know more than I do about what I want.

    As far as “proprietary and privately owned" – when I buy a product, I own it! I don’t lease equipment from the manufacture.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  19. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #19  
    I always find it interesting when I see commercials for DirecTV while watching via Comcast (not on a national network channel).

    Anyways, I love my Mac and OS X, and I don't hate Apple. In fact, webOS wouldn't be what it is today if not for all the ex-Apple employees that came on board with Palm early in it's life. Apple does things their way, or it's the highway. It's always been this way. At least as far back as I can remember.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    It's the same thing, especially now.
    What would happen if Google censored out webos out of their searches? Like you say its "proprietary and privately owned"

    Unacceptable.
    People would use another search engine I imagine.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions