Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    There's something comforting about just having a window open, click drag & drop whatever you want, and finished.
    Yeah until you try and make multiple playlists, and also swap them among multiple devices. Then drag and drop sort of sucks. Different priorities, my friend.

A bunch of commies here; most of you'd prefer I didn't have that choice! Ah well.
  2. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    >Under what political/economic model do you suppose that a company's size drives its responsibilities?

I don't know about model but it's not uncommon that big companies express their responsibilities, e.g. by producing products which less impact nature (Apple certainly did this) or by taking care of their employees, donating to good cause, support neighbourhoods.
    They are expressing efforts to garnish good will, not responsibilities. The fact that it is not uncommon does not make any of it an obligation.

>Should our government step in and force Slinky manufacturers to make them available in any color I might want? Should our government step in and force Google Docs to provide me with tools that I want?

No, but e.g. in the case of MS's office format ensure that other companies are able to read those formats.
    If our government stepped in to force that issue then I am appalled. You agree that in most of my examples it would be wrong for government to force things like that upon companies. MS should be able to keep a proprietary format secret if they want to. The only reason there might be any ethically supported exception is the argument that MSWord was monopolistic enough that no other competing software could have a chance without compatibility. Such an argument certainly doesn't apply in the iTunes case study.

>iTunes is a store that Apple owns. They can include or exclude anything they want. I might not like their choices, but saying that our government should step in and force Apple to make the content I might want available to me through their store is very, very contradictory to the basic philosophies that our business environment is based upon.

Or in the case of iTunes 'rule' that devices from competitor are not excluded. And/or that sideloading of apps must be allowed. What about when apple did/tried to 'criminalize' rooting of their (my?) phone? I think it was important that it was ruled that this goes too far.

I don't mind apple curating their own app store. But them being the _sole_ gatekeeper to decide if _millions_ of people are allowed or not allowed to, e.g. read an Android paper, is not good imo. If apple fails to address this, I'd be happy if regulations kick in. Mobiles are/will be an important computing platform and not just a nice XBox playground for leisure.
    I agree it goes to far to restrict what an owner of the iPhone can do with it. But it does NOT go to far to restrict what passes through Apple's iTunes store. Owners of the iPhones are free to read Android news any other way. So it isn't fair to accuse Apple of censoring information; all they've done is decided not to carry a product in their store. Go get it somewhere else if you want.

If the particular Android news isn't available any other way, then blame the publishers for a lack of available distribution methods. Heck, maybe get the government to force all publishers of every type to make their content available in every possible way to every user that wants it. Then I can get Netflix movies streamed to my Pre (or my Epic4G... just to show you I'm not biased on this matter due to the app in question being about Android).

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    They don't do that. you can go read an android paper any time you want. You just can't do it through an app on their phone. They are not preventing you from reading about android.
    Problem is, that publishers may not bother with minor platforms and then there is no alternative source. When 'the future of publishing' (engadget.com/2010/11/30/virgin-officially-announces-project-magazine-for-ipad-and-other) is on these platforms, it is relevant what is and is not possible on these platforms.

And it's, imo of course, highly disturbing if there is an apple gatekeeper who constantly keeps pressure towards publications to not overstep the unilateral decreed borders. Big companies may well withstand such pressure, but smaller not.

E.g. there was just another articel on engadget where a smaller company was 'forced' to abandon an upgrade kit in fear of loosing Apple's product licensing program (engadget.com/2010/11/30/apple-forces-photofast-to-abandon-256gb-upgrade-kit-for-macbook).

[btw. how did you achieve your nice multiquoting? Tried the M-Quote button, but it didn't work here ]
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I don't hate Apple. I just hate their *******/girls (example: search iJustine YouTube) and love ripping at their outrageous claims.
    To be fair, iJustine inspires a unique and intense breed of contempt no matter what products she champions...
    I like the programs and devices Apple releases, but their continued limmited functions kills me. A good example is editing video. They have a great program, but you have to save your finished product as .M4V. They dont give you options like editing on a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    To be fair, iJustine inspires a unique and intense breed of contempt no matter what products she champions...
    I guess you're right... but I guess that's what made her famous to start with.

But to my original point, it seems like most Apple fans are like that. She is just one extreme case.

Just look at the comments on Engadget whenever they have a post about a defective Apple product, you'll see what I mean.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Just look at the comments on Engadget whenever they have a post about a defective Apple product, you'll see what I mean.
    That's not really so new. Go to Slashdot and say something nasty about Linux (or nice about Microsoft!) and the reaction is similar. Or suggest here that a WebOS phone without a keyboard might be useful

(And another one. Go to any Trekkie site and tell them that DS9 ripped off Babylon 5 and you'll think the Apple nuts are quite reasonable!)
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    >No, but e.g. in the case of MS's office format ensure that other companies are able to read those formats.

If our government stepped in to force that issue then I am appalled.
    Why?

MS should be able to keep a proprietary format secret if they want to. The only reason there might be any ethically supported exception is the argument that MSWord was monopolistic enough that no other competing software could have a chance without compatibility. Such an argument certainly doesn't apply in the iTunes case study
    I am not sure if it has to do with ethics. There are a lot of regulation. E.g. for banks or when you're a restaurant owner you are not allowed to let guests smoke. If enough, whatever this is, users are affected, rules may make sense. And fwiw I see iTunes as very dominating in its field.

I agree it goes to far to restrict what an owner of the iPhone can do with it. But it does NOT go to far to restrict what passes through Apple's iTunes store. Owners of the iPhones are free to read Android news any other way. So it isn't fair to accuse Apple of censoring information; all they've done is decided not to carry a product in their store. Go get it somewhere else if you want. [snip] If the particular Android news isn't available any other way, then blame the publishers for a lack of available distribution methods. Heck, maybe get the government to force all publishers of every type to make their content available in every possible way to every user that wants it.
    It's kind of related what an owner can do with the device and what passes through to him (as long as there is a single store). If I am on the iOS platform there is nowhere else to go (assuming a publishing company doesn't do Cydia in fear of penalisation (or piracy)).
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    That's not really so new. Go to Slashdot and say something nasty about Linux (or nice about Microsoft!) and the reaction is similar. Or suggest here that a WebOS phone without a keyboard might be useful

(And another one. Go to any Trekkie site and tell them that DS9 ripped off Babylon 5 and you'll think the Apple nuts are quite reasonable!)
    That's not what I mean. I'm guilty of being one of those who don't like the idea of a webOS phone without a keyboard, but I provided my reasoning (large screen phones don't fit my hand), rather than just blindly bashing and defending.

Those morons are just arguing for the sake of arguing.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Problem is, that publishers may not bother with minor platforms and then there is no alternative source.
    then your problem is with "publishers." That however is not the case in reality. You can read other android news all over even on this site. And Apple has no reason to promote it's competition in any way. You want stuff to be Apple's fault but it's not. You want it to be one way but it's not.

When 'the future of publishing' (engadget.com/2010/11/30/virgin-officially-announces-project-magazine-for-ipad-and-other) is on these platforms, it is relevant what is and is not possible on these platforms.
    Even today Newpapers, tv, and the internet have the right to publish whatever they want. Even in the future that's not going to change. Even so it's not the case today so complaining about them ruining a fictutious future that doesn't exist is off base.

And it's, imo of course, highly disturbing if there is an apple gatekeeper who constantly keeps pressure towards publications to not overstep the unilateral decreed borders. Big companies may well withstand such pressure, but smaller not. Android Magasinet
    I don't get why you can't understand the idea that a company has every right to decide what's sold in it's store. You even said "
    I don't mind apple curating their own app store>" Actually yes you do mind. You want Apple not to get to decide what they sell in their own store. You want them to be forced to sell what you want. That's so unrealistic and so contrary to the laws business runs by that it's hard to respond. Mostly cause it's wrong in so many ways. As for publishing Apple isn't destroying publishing or anything. You can go to any website and get news. You can buy a news paper. You can watch the local news. You can buy cable tv and get cable news. Apple has no control over them. And as you said before, your "problem" is with "publishers." You've just decided you'd like to be mad at Apple but your focus on Apple is the just misguided, naive to business world, and it's not rational.

[btw. how did you achieve your nice multiquoting? Tried the M-Quote button, but it didn't work here ]
    I hit the quote button. Then I separate the text you want to quote. Then just cut and past the beginning and ending code at the beginning and end of each individual paragraph, the stuff in the brackets like [QUOTE] and [QOUTE] i didn't quote it exactly or it won't show up as text. Then i write the response in between. then i hit preview to make sure cut and pasted correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    your focus on Apple is just misguided, naive to business world, and it's not rational.
    I hear you

PS: regarding my contradictory statement about content control: the idea was to have a nice beautiful boring apple store _and_ optionally - if I as a consumer choose to want one - one or more alternative stores where I can get content.

PPS: no apple exclusivity see 2) in the first comment on this google-search-ownership related blogpost: googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2010/11/our-thoughts-on-european-commission.html. >>Google has every right to downrank other search engines both because its GOOGLE'S SITE<< (just as apple has every right to censor apps). Quite related.

PPPS: you have good points too maybe I'm just annoyed because I didn't pay attention recently to _not_ update iTunes and now my palm is shot out. And I hate that crapple goes away with this. Should get fined 1.3 billion just like sap for looking at some oracle documents...
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Yeah until you try and make multiple playlists, and also swap them among multiple devices. Then drag and drop sort of sucks. Different priorities, my friend.

A bunch of commies here; most of you'd prefer I didn't have that choice! Ah well.
    Could use the devices that support standard playlist files if that's a priority.

"Just sayin'."

Easy. Take the entire folder, copy it to my desktop hard drive, then connect new device, copy it back on.

As for playlists... ever heard of M3U files?

I've did that with my Pre, Pre Plus and second Pre Plus.

As for playlists... ever heard of M3U files?

Actually, no. LOL.
    Yeah until you try and make multiple playlists, and also swap them among multiple devices. Then drag and drop sort of sucks. Different priorities, my
    I suppose, but I don't even make playlists on my desktop... Couldn't be bothered I guess. As for my Pre, I've loaded it twice since I've had it, and I usually listen to it shuffled. Not a priority for me
  16. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Why?

I am not sure if it has to do with ethics. There are a lot of regulation. E.g. for banks or when you're a restaurant owner you are not allowed to let guests smoke. If enough, whatever this is, users are affected, rules may make sense. And fwiw I see iTunes as very dominating in its field.

It's kind of related what an owner can do with the device and what passes through to him (as long as there is a single store). If I am on the iOS platform there is nowhere else to go (assuming a publishing company doesn't do Cydia in fear of penalisation (or piracy)).
    Why would I be appalled that our government would force MS to open up their proprietary format? I guess because I believe in a pretty strict philosophy of capitalism. I believe that if I make the best cookies, it is wrong for our government to make me give my recipe away to other cookie makers.

I agree that our government should make laws protecting people from physical injury, financial fraud, and the like situations where one entity causes quantitative harm to another. I do NOT agree that laws should be made to give people what they want while causing quantitative harm to an entity (like Apple) even if a majority of people want it.

If you are on the iOS platform, you can get the full width, length and depth of the internet. If a particular Android news publisher refuses to make his work available by any other path except an iTunes app, then that's his choice. If you refuse to seek Android news by any other path except an iTunes app, then that's your choice. If you don't want to jailbreak your iPhone and get the app on the side, that is your choice. If it isn't available on the side that's the publisher's choice again. Apple has the right to make their choices as do you and the publisher, and I would not have it any other way.

There are stations I can't get on my television because I only have regular cable. Does that mean the cable company is unethically censoring my content? Does it mean they should be forced to carry unique DirectTV stations? No. But that's exactly what you're saying Apple should have to do. Although some of your points have merit, they do NOT change my answer to the question, "Should our government force Apple to give in to consumer desires regarding what content it carries in iTunes?" My answer remains NO.

xtn
    Why would I be appalled that our government would force MS to open up their proprietary format? I guess because I believe in a pretty strict philosophy of capitalism. I believe that if I make the best cookies, it is wrong for our government to make me give my recipe away to other cookie makers.

I agree that our government should make laws protecting people from physical injury, financial fraud, and the like situations where one entity causes quantitative harm to another. I do NOT agree that laws should be made to give people what they want while causing quantitative harm to an entity (like Apple) even if a majority of people want it.

If you are on the iOS platform, you can get the full width, length and depth of the internet. If a particular Android news publisher refuses to make his work available by any other path except an iTunes app, then that's his choice. If you refuse to seek Android news by any other path except an iTunes app, then that's your choice. If you don't want to jailbreak your iPhone and get the app on the side, that is your choice. If it isn't available on the side that's the publisher's choice again. Apple has the right to make their choices as do you and the publisher, and I would not have it any other way.

There are stations I can't get on my television because I only have regular cable. Does that mean the cable company is unethically censoring my content? Does it mean they should be forced to carry unique DirectTV stations? No. But that's exactly what you're saying Apple should have to do. Although some of your points have merit, they do NOT change my answer to the question, "Should our government force Apple to give in to consumer desires regarding what content it carries in iTunes?" My answer remains NO.

xtn
    It should force Apple to stop trying to strangle the users that want to choose the jailbreak and non-iTunes route then...
    Based on the last 4 pages(based on my own interpretation).....
    26 don't hate/like/love Apple.
    9 hate Apple.
    2 don't care.

well looks like this one's a wrap, anyone that felt the need to say they hate Apple has had plenty of time to do so.....

Soooooo what else can we argue about?
    Its quite laughable really, there would be no reason to 'hate' apple if they weren't successful, and so very popular. However we wouldn't even have a Palm Pre in reality if it wern't for the iPhone. There would be no such thing as a PalmPad in the works either.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Based on the last 4 pages(based on my own interpretation).....
    26 don't hate/like/love Apple.
    9 hate Apple.
    2 don't care.

well looks like this one's a wrap, anyone that felt the need to say they hate Apple has had plenty of time to do so.....

Soooooo what else can we argue about?
    27 - I don't hate Apple either, love my iPod touch and iPad! I just don't want a big, boring slab of a phone without a keyboard. I really like the unique form factor of the Pre. (for a phone) if I didn't, there are tons of the big, boring slab device options - very few for the unique, small form factor, the Torch is close, though. If Android someday offers a Pre-like form factor, I might give it a try.

....my not-so humble opinion. ;-)
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast