Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    It's the same thing, especially now.
    What would happen if Google censored out webos out of their searches? Like you say its "proprietary and privately owned"

    Unacceptable.

    It really bothers me that so many of you people claim it doesn't bother you. My guess is its because they are censoring android.

    Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

    I use an android device, it doesn't bother me.
  2. #42  
    no reason to hate apple. Many of their products are admirable.

    I personally prefer the windows OS over the macOS, and I don't like some of apple's tactics in terms being secretive and excluding certain companies and apps from some of their products and app stores. Their attitude of we know what's best for you, stinks.

    but I have ipods and an ipod touch, and the iphone is terrific. So they are a successful company that should be admired...similar to the yankees, I can't stand them, but at the end of the day they are successful at what they do and how they do it.
  3. #43  
    As in all facets of life, hate is pathetic.

    Do you also hate women who talk incessantly?
    Food you dislike. Itchy woolen sweaters?
    Oh, hmm guess you do.

    Let's agree we can use the word "hate" as a synonym of "dislike" and not be hated or disliked for doing that.

    I love apple by the way. I just hate the fact everyone uses their products.
    And the fact Macmini's in Europe are 25% more expensive than they are in the US.
  4. #44  
    I don't hate Apple. I don't have much exposure to their products and unfamilliar in how to use them. I always got by with my mp3 players and been a PC person. I've tried out Macbooks before but due to unfamilliarity, didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. Never did get into iTunes, I prefer my WMP, because it works for me. Also a contributing factor on why I never got an iPhone.

    There seems to be underwhelming support for the topic and it's been around for awhile, one would think if that was the general consensus, that there would be a flood of votes "hating" Apple. It appears that's not the case.
  5. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #45  
    Yes I dislike, wanna see them fail, wanna see them on the news with a going out of business sign, etc.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Yes I dislike, wanna see them fail, wanna see them on the news with a going out of business sign, etc.
    Me and my coworker were listening to twit wile working. They mentioned that os doesn't matter, but apps will. I dont necessarily agree. So far, iOS and android are great for apps, and webos and wmp7 are great for os IMO. With a better os, I can do things quicker, wile with more apps, I can do more things and have more distractions. I think as webos and wmp7 mature, android and iOS will have more to contend with.

    That said, this app is doing multitasking wonders for me on my iPad http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20003788-243.html
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 11/29/2010 at 09:54 AM.
  7. xtn
    xtn is offline
    xtn's Avatar
    Posts
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    Apple is a monster company and has responsibilities a smaller company doesn't have. It's unacceptable imo
    * that they can kick out gadget from iTunes
    * that they control/censor what can be distributed on an iPhone
    * that they tried to oppress programming languagues (reversed upon pressure)
    * that they prohibit virtual machines (non-server)

    Once you become that pig you either have to behave or the government should split you up and/or enforce access. It's a pitty that the stupid? consumers don't put pressure on them, happily trade gold for freedom and defend a closed ecosystem.

    I don't hate apple (use an MBP) but they are idiots and not worth much respect.
    In the USA you are entitled to PERSUE happiness. That does not mean anybody else is required to GIVE you happiness.

    Under what political/economic model do you suppose that a company's size drives its responsibilities? Should our government step in and force Slinky manufacturers to make them available in any color I might want? Should our government step in and force Google Docs to provide me with tools that I want? Should our government step in and force GE to make a single laundry machine that both washes and dries my clothes because that's what I want?

    iTunes is a store that Apple owns. They can include or exclude anything they want. I might not like their choices, but saying that our government should step in and force Apple to make the content I might want available to me through their store is very, very contradictory to the basic philosophies that our business environment is based upon. I personally wish some mobile phone company would give me viewers for Solidworks files and Revit files, but I would be appalled if our government forced any of them to do it.

    xtn
  8. #48  
    They censor text messages as well - for language they deem unacceptable. What if your phone carrier censored telephone calls? Would we be so quick to overlook that - "it's a business model"?


    I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  9. #49  
    I don't hate apple, but I also don't buy their stuff. However, if vzw ever gets an iphone, I will have to take it seriously.
  10. #50  
    I love Apple. Their prices not so much.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    They censor text messages as well - for language they deem unacceptable. What if your phone carrier censored telephone calls? Would we be so quick to overlook that - "it's a business model"?
    What are you talking about? They don't censor text messages.

    Are you talking about Parental Controls? The one thats not even enabled? And when/if it is, it will be user controlled?




    sheesh. do people buy this sort of nonsense? All the lies and FUD in the world don't make Pre a better phone, or make it come out faster.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    What are you talking about? They don't censor text messages.

    Are you talking about Parental Controls? The one thats not even enabled? And when/if it is, it will be user controlled?




    sheesh. do people buy this sort of nonsense? All the lies and FUD in the world don't make Pre a better phone, or make it come out faster.
    To quote from the article: "The iPhone ignores all language that Apple has deemed foul in text messages as well."


    I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    To quote from the article: "The iPhone ignores all language that Apple has deemed foul in text messages as well."
    Yeah, no.
  14. #54  
    >Under what political/economic model do you suppose that a company's size drives its responsibilities?

    I don't know about model but it's not uncommon that big companies express their responsibilities, e.g. by producing products which less impact nature (Apple certainly did this) or by taking care of their employees, donating to good cause, support neighbourhoods.

    >Should our government step in and force Slinky manufacturers to make them available in any color I might want? Should our government step in and force Google Docs to provide me with tools that I want?

    No, but e.g. in the case of MS's office format ensure that other companies are able to read those formats.

    >iTunes is a store that Apple owns. They can include or exclude anything they want. I might not like their choices, but saying that our government should step in and force Apple to make the content I might want available to me through their store is very, very contradictory to the basic philosophies that our business environment is based upon.

    Or in the case of iTunes 'rule' that devices from competitor are not excluded. And/or that sideloading of apps must be allowed. What about when apple did/tried to 'criminalize' rooting of their (my?) phone? I think it was important that it was ruled that this goes too far.

    I don't mind apple curating their own app store. But them being the _sole_ gatekeeper to decide if _millions_ of people are allowed or not allowed to, e.g. read an Android paper, is not good imo. If apple fails to address this, I'd be happy if regulations kick in. Mobiles are/will be an important computing platform and not just a nice XBox playground for leisure.
  15. #55  
    I agree, I hate Apple too. If you look at their Macs, you can see why. They sell them very overpriced for slower, less featured computers. I've even seen some Macbooks that were almost $1000 more than a PC laptop with the same if not better specs. They do have better battery life, but for the price they put their computers/laptops at, it's definetly not worth it. I feel they prey on people that don't know much about computers and laptops to get their sales.

    I also hate how Apple tells its users what they do and don't want. Let's take the old Flash argument as an example. Apple would have definetly gotten flash for iphone a long time ago, but instead, they tell their users that its bad and nobody should want it. Then, Skyfire comes out, and is immediatly pulled by the company because of overwhelming demand. That tells you something. And Skyfire only does Flash videos, no games or applications, and it takes longer than regular flash to watch videos too.

    Another example happened just recently. An app from the app store was pulled because it was a magazine for Android. Pretty stupid reason. Yet they approved a game called Boob ninja where you grab boobs(Yeah it sounds awesome, but I'm just showing the kind of stuff they reject and approve), and they approved a freaking ***** enlargement app. Rejecting a magazine but approving a ***** enlargement app is just a big lol.

    But their iphone and ipod are good products.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    I don't know about model but it's not uncommon that big companies express their responsibilities, e.g. by producing products which less impact nature (Apple certainly did this)
    If Apple certainly did this then you can't possibly have a beef with them for not doing it. That said a company chooses to do something does not make it their responsibility. Companies do things out for many reasons, one of which may just to have a good public image and charity helps that.

    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    or by taking care of their employees, donating to good cause, support neighborhoods.
    I'm sure Apple employees are taken care of quite well assuming they don't leave secret prototypes in bars. Regardless supporting their neighborhood isn't their job. Companies do it cause it benefits them. You typically want employees that can afford your products. you want a community that thrives cause it supports your company's growth. But these altruistic ideals are ridiculous. And i'm a fricken flaming liberal. I'm also a businessman. And I understand the core role of business.

    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    No, but e.g. in the case of MS's office format ensure that other companies are able to read those formats.
    I'm not familiar with that case but other companies can make products that read Quicktime. VLC reads Quicktime. Media Player Classic reads Quicktime. Not to mention Quicktime is not the dominant video format.

    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    What about when apple did/tried to 'criminalize' rooting of their (my?) phone? I think it was important that it was ruled that this goes too far.
    I believe there are some inaccuracies there. It is my understanding that Sections of the DMCA are reviewed every 3 years for effectiveness. In that case Apple didn't start this action, the government 3 year review process did. I'm sure they were all for making it a DMCA violation but that doesn't mean they started all that. It is my understanding that the DMCA section was under review and that the statute was revised to make it clear that certain acts including "rooting" an iphone, Android, Webos are not violations of the DMCA. The reality is that doesn't mean that a company like apple, hp, or google can't void your warranty for violating and end user agreement not to hack or reverse engineer the code. I doesn't make such agreements unenforceable. Cause again, it's their code and any user likely agreed to those terms when they buy the product. The difference is it's a contract law violation not a federal crime.

    Quote Originally Posted by seb9345 View Post
    But them being the _sole_ gatekeeper to decide if _millions_ of people are allowed or not allowed to, e.g. read an Android paper, is not good imo.
    They don't do that. you can go read an android paper any time you want. You just can't do it through an app on their phone. They are not preventing you from reading about android.
  17. #57  
    Two simple price options for a company. The first, and most commonly used retail price based on cost of manufacture, R&D... The second is on what the market will bear for the item. PC makers use the first with a touch of the second. Apple uses the second with a very slight nod to the first.
    Seams to work for Apple.
    That said, I still think Jobs is a D-bag.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
  18. #58  
    I don't hate Apple. I just hate their *******/girls (example: search iJustine YouTube) and love ripping at their outrageous claims.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  19. #59  
    well lol I bought an apple shuffle ipod thing as a gift the other day and was gonna load music to it so it would already have stuff on it for christmas when they open the gift. Well I could not even connect the thing to my computer. Not unless I used itunes . My computer would not even see it as a storage device. I had to return it immediately . Won't ever try that again.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  20. #60  
    There's something comforting about just having a window open, click drag & drop whatever you want, and finished.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions