Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey all.
    I used to be a huge Palm fan back in the days. But as smartphones came along I moved to win mobile.
    Right now, with the Pre 2, I am very tempted to come back into the Palm world. I'd just like to hear your thoughts, as "day-to-day" users, one a couple of things:

    1. What is it like? Can you compare the experience to other platforms? Does the Pre feel quicker/simpler to use, or does the simplicity leave you feeling that you'd like to be able to tweak/customize more than you can?

    2. What about syncability? I use Outlook & Google to sync against, and it works well. Is it easy, annoying, troublesome?

    3. Apps - People keep complaining. Is there anything important missing? What about navigation for instance - for win mobile, I have TomTom, Google maps, and several other manufacturers to choose from, and the same I guess goes for various other platforms...
    I don't really care much about games or for sprucing up the phone in general, I really only use an ebook-reader, the occasional office tools, and a bunch of planning/productivity tools like hierarchical to-do's or enhanced calendar tools. Will I find, in your opinion, enough stuff to choose from?

    4. Classic Palm emulator - does this work well enough for daily use? I still miss some apps from the old Palm, but can you use it for critical apps, or is it "just for fun"?

    5. One thing I haven't figured out from all reviews - how does the Pre /Pre 2 handle international/accented characters? How many key-presses for instance do you need to produce the , or characters? This can be really frustrating on some platforms..

    6. Do you ever feel limited by the Pre's screen resolution?

    7. Should I wait for the rumored "new" Palms from HP, what's your feeling?

    8. Anything else you would care to mention?

    A lot of questions, I know... Of course, you may only want to answer one, or just shoot some general comments. I'd be grateful for any input!

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  
    HP webOS rocks . That's all I can say .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    HP webOS rocks . That's all I can say .
    It's the preffered OS of turtle lovers everywhere!!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    It's the preffered OS of turtle lovers everywhere!!!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I thought that was penguin lovers?

    Anyhow, if you are concerned about apps, the full site of P|C has an apps section where you can search for specific apps by name or catagory in both the official catalog and the homebrew catalog.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    Hey all.
    I used to be a huge Palm fan back in the days. But as smartphones came along I moved to win mobile.
    Right now, with the Pre 2, I am very tempted to come back into the Palm world. I'd just like to hear your thoughts, as "day-to-day" users, one a couple of things:

    1. What is it like? Can you compare the experience to other platforms? Does the Pre feel quicker/simpler to use, or does the simplicity leave you feeling that you'd like to be able to tweak/customize more than you can?
    It's a much more "elegant" design.
    Honestly, that's another way of saying: It's really basic and easy but with little ability to customize.
    If you're looking for a very simple design, WebOS wins.
    Like to customize, Android.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    2. What about syncability? I use Outlook & Google to sync against, and it works well. Is it easy, annoying, troublesome?
    I've never synced with Outlook under any platform but the Google Syncing is easy and in no way complex. Again there is a lack of options with it, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    3. Apps - People keep complaining. Is there anything important missing? What about navigation for instance - for win mobile, I have TomTom, Google maps, and several other manufacturers to choose from, and the same I guess goes for various other platforms...
    I don't really care much about games or for sprucing up the phone in general, I really only use an ebook-reader, the occasional office tools, and a bunch of planning/productivity tools like hierarchical to-do's or enhanced calendar tools. Will I find, in your opinion, enough stuff to choose from?
    It's nice that someone actually knows what they want and can articulate.
    Sadly, as far as office productivity, it's pretty lacking from what I've seen.
    I don't know that you'll find "enough stuff to choose from".

    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    4. Classic Palm emulator - does this work well enough for daily use? I still miss some apps from the old Palm, but can you use it for critical apps, or is it "just for fun"?
    I don't know this answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    5. One thing I haven't figured out from all reviews - how does the Pre /Pre 2 handle international/accented characters? How many key-presses for instance do you need to produce the , or characters? This can be really frustrating on some platforms..
    It's as much of a pain as it would be on any platform, those sorts of things aren't really a focal point by any dev.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    6. Do you ever feel limited by the Pre's screen resolution?
    That's a difficult question.
    Since moving to the Evo, I will never own a phone with the screen size as small as the Pre again.... but I never had an issue until I exposed myself to a bigger screen.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    7. Should I wait for the rumored "new" Palms from HP, what's your feeling?
    Unless the Pre 2 is free and won't cost you an upgrade for a year or worse, 2, I would strongly advise waiting until CES 2011.

    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    8. Anything else you would care to mention?
    Just remember that Palm/Hpalm isn't owned by you.
    They're just a company.
    You may like them, heck I did, but that doesn't mean that you should stick around/come back just because of your emotional attachment to the company.
    Android is growing at an excessively rapid rate for good reasons.
    Much like WebOS is going no where for good reasons.

    While not every reason is "right", not every reason is "wrong".


    I would look more into other platforms than just WebOS.
  6. #6  
    1. love the OS. It is definitely simple to use. If you leave it stock, your customizing options are limited, however, being that you are here on PC, I assume you are at least open to the option of homebrew and their WebOS fills that missing need. With Preware, it is extremely simple to add a nearly infinite number of customizing options to WebOS.

    2. I sync with my job's outlook with no issues. Sync's everything I need (tasks, contacts, email, etc)

    3. This one is tough. No great options for nav in particular, although I get the impression you live outside the US, and if true, some have seemed to get sufficient use out of Navit.

    4/5: no clue.

    6/7. I am happy with the screen resolution, but obviously more resolution could always be an improvement. If you mean size? I think if you want a bigger screen you'll have to wait to see what is announced at CES.

    8. i think (no disrespect to original pre users on Sprint) you have an opportunity to get in on the virtual ground floor. WebOS is great as an OS, but in terms of an entire smartphone solution (productivity apps, etc), it has room for growth. Luckily, productivity solutions seems to be HP's bread and butter so I think that in the near future we can expect a lot of these "shortcomings" to be resolved. HOpefully in the not too distant future, HP can become a leader in mobile productivity, which I believe is plausible.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Sadly, as far as office productivity, it's pretty lacking from what I've seen.
    I don't know that you'll find "enough stuff to choose from".

    Unless the Pre 2 is free and won't cost you an upgrade for a year or worse, 2, I would strongly advise waiting until CES 2011.
    The Pre 2 should come with Quick Office for reading only which is supposedly better than Docs2go. The makers of Quick Office have a paid version in the works for editing, but it will only be available on webOS 2.x.x.

    As much as I like my Pre+ and would like to get a Pre 2, I have to agree with you on waiting till CES if at all possible. Even if HPalm doesn't announce killer new hardware, you know someone will. Yeah it's the waiting game, but this close to CES it might be worth it.
  8. #8  
    If you don't already have a Palm phone, I would suggest that you wait for CES to see what phones and carriers get announced. WebOS rocks. The patches and overclocking in this community rock even more.

    The Pre+ has been a good phone, but a little fragile. The Pre2 is everything the Pre+ should have been (glass screen, faster CPU, webOS 2, etc). It's a great phone if you don't mind the smallish screen. Old eyes like mine crave something closer to iPhone size.

    Depending on what carrier you want to be on, there will be something with webOS that will make you happy. And a few days with webOS, Preware, and ther homebrew goodness... and you won't make eye contact with your family for days at a time because you are staring at your phone 7x24

    just sayin
  9. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #9  
    Wow, thanks guys. I'm sold. I'm pretty tired of flashing new OS versions on my 2 win mobile phones, it's been fun, but I'm a bit tired of it. It seems to me the pre 2 is pretty useful out of the box - Not like many other platforms, where you only get very basic tools and practically have to buy 3rd party stuff just to get it up to a user-friendly level. That's how Palm was, back in the days, it seems from what you're saying it still is, or maybe, is again.
    I might find it hard to wait until CES, but I think I will.
    I like the fact that the phone's small. Why should I run around with a 4 inch screen in my pocket? And I love the hardware keyboard, as a feature. I tend to write long stuff (as you can surely tell) and a screen keyboard isn't enough.
    It seems the app count is low, but that's not an issue. I don't need a virtual fart pillow app anyway.
    And an active "hacking" community closes the deal. That's what I loved about my two HTC winmo phones.

    Thanks guys for helping out!!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    I like the fact that the phone's small. Why should I run around with a 4 inch screen in my pocket? And I love the hardware keyboard, as a feature. I tend to write long stuff (as you can surely tell) and a screen keyboard isn't enough.
    It seems the app count is low, but that's not an issue. I don't need a virtual fart pillow app anyway.
    And an active "hacking" community closes the deal. That's what I loved about my two HTC winmo phones.

    Thanks guys for helping out!!
    Two comments:

    The Pre/Pre 2 is about 4.5 inches when extended-- the longest phone in existence. So the 4 inch comment is kinda, eh..

    Secondly, respectfully, I think you're being sold too quickly.
    Android has an "active hacking community" 1000 fold more active than this place.
    Your "fart app" comment kinda shows that you buy into the idea that the android/iphone markets are just full of complete garbage.
    While not every app is useful, there are an excessive amount of apps that ARE useful.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Two comments:

    The Pre/Pre 2 is about 4.5 inches when extended-- the longest phone in existence. So the 4 inch comment is kinda, eh..

    Secondly, respectfully, I think you're being sold too quickly.
    Android has an "active hacking community" 1000 fold more active than this place.
    Your "fart app" comment kinda shows that you buy into the idea that the android/iphone markets are just full of complete garbage.
    While not every app is useful, there are an excessive amount of apps that ARE useful.
    Oh Matty.....

    the extended length of the pre/pre2 is irrelevant to how the phone fits in your pocket (though I guess I shouldn't assume you close the phone before putting it into your pocket).

    I mean no disrespect to the efforts/successes of the android "hacking community", but you shouldn't downplay the homebrew community of WebOS. The ease with which you can add homebrew patches and apps to WebOS phones and WebOS's ability to survive/recover from said hacking without being "bricked" are surely a differentiator/advantage of WebOS.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Oh Matty.....

    the extended length of the pre/pre2 is irrelevant to how the phone fits in your pocket (though I guess I shouldn't assume you close the phone before putting it into your pocket).
    Point is the size comment is kinda

    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I mean no disrespect to the efforts/successes of the android "hacking community", but you shouldn't downplay the homebrew community of WebOS. The ease with which you can add homebrew patches and apps to WebOS phones and WebOS's ability to survive/recover from said hacking without being "bricked" are surely a differentiator/advantage of WebOS.

    I wasn't downplaying either hacking community but the Android community WAS downplayed with his comment.

    Also, bricking is merely being stupid with your phone and ANY device with ANY OS can be bricked with someone not knowing what they're doing and, above all, not having the battery charged when doing it.
  13. #13  
    the OP says he is already sold, so I hope this doesn't devolve into a "less filling / tastes great" argument about webOS vs Android.
  14. #14  
    webOS is by far the easiest and .... did i say easiest .... yeah to add homebrew hacks and apps to , and by far much easier to customize . i dont know where that guy is coming from but whatever . go for the gold man !!!
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 11/24/2010 at 05:06 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    webOS is by far the easiest and .... did i sat easiest .... yeah to add homebrew hacks and apps to , and by far much easier to customize . i dont know where that guy is coming from but whatever . go for the gold man !!!
    ?
  16. #16  
    Coming from WinMo myself, there are a few things WebOS lacks that WinMo had that may make or break it for you.

    First, it will not sync with a standalone version of Outlook on its own. There is third-party software for this (not free), but I have not tried it.

    Secondly, it does not automatically change the profile of the phone based on meeting status. With WinMo, if I had an Outlook appointment with its status set to "busy," the phone would automatically switch to meeting mode for the duration of that appointment. Extremely handy, but not present in WebOS.

    Lastly, coming from a WinMo Smartphone (no touchscreen) I dislike the fact that WebOS is pretty much impossible to use one-handed. My Motorola Q was designed specifically with the intent of being able to use it single-handed, and I do miss that.

    Overall, I am happy with my Pixi and I will stick with it and make it work, but I don't feel it's an upgrade from my aging Motorola Q. A sidegrade, but not an upgrade. And that is because of the OS, not the hardware.
  17. #17  
    Be careful which vendor you go with. GPS does not work with any 3rd party applications (navigation oriented or not) on Verizon Pre + (don't know about Pre2 yet). The only turn by turn navigation option on Verizon is their proprietary product at an additional $10/month and I've been told it's a poor performer despite the extra cost. Sprint Pre has a good navigation product (no extra charge) and their GPS works on all applications. AT&T Pre + has a working GPS, but I'm not familiar with their navigation product.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    Hey all.
    I used to be a huge Palm fan back in the days. But as smartphones came along I moved to win mobile.
    Right now, with the Pre 2, I am very tempted to come back into the Palm world. I'd just like to hear your thoughts, as "day-to-day" users, one a couple of things:

    1. What is it like? Can you compare the experience to other platforms? Does the Pre feel quicker/simpler to use, or does the simplicity leave you feeling that you'd like to be able to tweak/customize more than you can?
    For me the iPhone feels dumbed down and locked down and Android feels cluttered and anarchic. My Palm Pre feels simple and powerful at the same time as well as both free and flexible. While customization options are rather limited out of the box; once you get involved with the Homebrew community, I think you'll find that you can tweak and control your webOS device much more extensively than you can with other platforms. And while Apple has fought tooth and nail against Jailbreaking and Rooting is often a complex process on Android, Palm has actually encouraged Homebrewing. As a result, it is much easier to get into Homebrewing than any other form of phone hacking.

    2. What about syncability? I use Outlook & Google to sync against, and it works well. Is it easy, annoying, troublesome?
    Syncing to Google is easy -- easier in fact than syncing to Palm's own profile. Syncing to Outlook is a little more problematic but several good third-party options exist.
    3. Apps - People keep complaining. Is there anything important missing? What about navigation for instance - for win mobile, I have TomTom, Google maps, and several other manufacturers to choose from, and the same I guess goes for various other platforms...
    I don't really care much about games or for sprucing up the phone in general, I really only use an ebook-reader, the occasional office tools, and a bunch of planning/productivity tools like hierarchical to-do's or enhanced calendar tools. Will I find, in your opinion, enough stuff to choose from?
    Lack of apps is the most frustrating part of webOS. You won't have any decent navigation options for example. The app catalog is growing steadily however, so maybe once new devices come out we'll see faster growth.
    4. Classic Palm emulator - does this work well enough for daily use? I still miss some apps from the old Palm, but can you use it for critical apps, or is it "just for fun"?
    The Classic PalmOS emulator was recently discontinued. Sorry.
    5. One thing I haven't figured out from all reviews - how does the Pre /Pre 2 handle international/accented characters? How many key-presses for instance do you need to produce the , or characters? This can be really frustrating on some platforms..
    Extremely easily. You just hit the "Sym" key and a scrollable list of special characters pops up and you can insert them easily.
    6. Do you ever feel limited by the Pre's screen resolution?
    Not really. I do envy the larger screen sizes you see on other devices but I would never want to compromise my Pre's one-handed usage to get it.
    7. Should I wait for the rumored "new" Palms from HP, what's your feeling?
    Probably. Except for its relatively small, lower res screen the Pre 2 actually matches up quite nicely with the iPhone and high-end Android phones. But HP has been asking for patience, telling people that better phones are on the way without saying when. I might not be able to wait because my Pre is a year and a half old and is showing its age. But you? If you've waited this long, you might as well wait a little longer.
    8. Anything else you would care to mention?
    My general advice is to go with the Blackberry if all you want is efficient email. Go with the iPhone if you want gobs and gobs of apps and for things to "just work." Go with Android if you want flashy hardware that you can show off. But if you want a phone that you can play with, tinker with, and possibly even fall in love with go with webOS.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    webOS is by far the easiest and .... did i say easiest .... yeah to add homebrew hacks and apps to , and by far much easier to customize . i dont know where that guy is coming from but whatever . go for the gold man !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    ?
    Still waiting for when I made this statement or anything of the kind...
  20. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Point is the size comment is kinda
    Yeah, well I'd like a 25-inch phone if it could fold down to nicely pocketable size. The fact that the keyboard extends the phone's lenght is a benefit, not a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I wasn't downplaying either hacking community but the Android community WAS downplayed with his comment.
    Of course other platforms have bigger everything. I was just expressing happiness over the fact that there IS an active community.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Also, bricking is merely being stupid with your phone and ANY device with ANY OS can be bricked with someone not knowing what they're doing and, above all, not having the battery charged when doing it.
    Well, when you have a winmo phone (or two) like I do, flashing is as commonplace as brushing your teeth. But I've grown tired of the reason for flashing - that there's always something that's not quite right, and you flash just to get the damn thing working more-or-less normally.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions