Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Coming from WinMo myself, there are a few things WebOS lacks that WinMo had that may make or break it for you.

    First, it will not sync with a standalone version of Outlook on its own. There is third-party software for this (not free), but I have not tried it.
    Anybody have any experience with this syncing tool?
    The windoze active sync works ok, but it takes 5-6 hours to sync with outlook - I have a lot of contacts and appointments - if the phone is freshly flashed and empty. If I try to restore contacts and apptmnts using back-up software after a flash, that takes almost no time, but after that, windows thinks that that data is "foreign" and proceeds to put everything back as doubles... And sometimes, Activesync just goes "oh sorry, there was an error, you have to resync everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Lastly, coming from a WinMo Smartphone (no touchscreen) I dislike the fact that WebOS is pretty much impossible to use one-handed. My Motorola Q was designed specifically with the intent of being able to use it single-handed, and I do miss that.
    Really? Is that the Pixi, or does that apply to the PRE? This is news to me... Is it "uncomfortable", or impossible?
  2. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    For me the iPhone feels dumbed down and locked down and Android feels cluttered and anarchic. My Palm Pre feels simple and powerful at the same time as well as both free and flexible. While customization options are rather limited out of the box; once you get involved with the Homebrew community, I think you'll find that you can tweak and control your webOS device much more extensively than you can with other platforms. And while Apple has fought tooth and nail against Jailbreaking and Rooting is often a complex process on Android, Palm has actually encouraged Homebrewing. As a result, it is much easier to get into Homebrewing than any other form of phone hacking.


    Syncing to Google is easy -- easier in fact than syncing to Palm's own profile. Syncing to Outlook is a little more problematic but several good third-party options exist.

    Lack of apps is the most frustrating part of webOS. You won't have any decent navigation options for example. The app catalog is growing steadily however, so maybe once new devices come out we'll see faster growth.

    The Classic PalmOS emulator was recently discontinued. Sorry.

    Extremely easily. You just hit the "Sym" key and a scrollable list of special characters pops up and you can insert them easily.

    Not really. I do envy the larger screen sizes you see on other devices but I would never want to compromise my Pre's one-handed usage to get it.

    Probably. Except for its relatively small, lower res screen the Pre 2 actually matches up quite nicely with the iPhone and high-end Android phones. But HP has been asking for patience, telling people that better phones are on the way without saying when. I might not be able to wait because my Pre is a year and a half old and is showing its age. But you? If you've waited this long, you might as well wait a little longer.

    My general advice is to go with the Blackberry if all you want is efficient email. Go with the iPhone if you want gobs and gobs of apps and for things to "just work." Go with Android if you want flashy hardware that you can show off. But if you want a phone that you can play with, tinker with, and possibly even fall in love with go with webOS.
    Thanks for this excellent post. Your answers tell me you have the same approach to the phone as I do.

    I feel sorely tempted to order an unlocked PRE 2 from the UK today... Just wish HPalm would offer the phone in more countries (live in Sweden and Poland, myself).
  3. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #23  
    Someone posted above that WebOS isn't one-handed... That was surprising, anyone else agree on that? I'd be happy if it's one-handed for the "basic" operations. For instance, is it possible to launch, type & send a text message using one hand? On the PRE/PRE 2, that is...
  4. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #24  
    Dammit... I took the plunge. Ordered a PRE 2 from the UK. But please do comment on the above, I'll have to wait a week or so to get it, so I need some post-purchase-satisfaction reading for in the meantime!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    [regarding one-handed use]
    Really? Is that the Pixi, or does that apply to the PRE? This is news to me... Is it "uncomfortable", or impossible?
    It's not impossible, but it is very difficult. It certainly was not designed to be used one-handed.

    There is no directional pad on the keyboard, nor is there a scroll wheel on the side (like on my Q). Aside from using the touchscreen, some tasks can be performed using the gesture area, but unless you have very dexterous thumbs, you're going to need to hold the device with one hand while making gestures with the other.

    Also the notifications that appear on the screen and the menu button that appears above open cards are rather small, and I find it necessary to steady the device with one hand and tap with the other in order to hit them accurately.

    As dated as my Motorola Q is, after using WebOS on the Pixi I really think the Q is the superior device, at least in regards of how it is meant to be held and used. WebOS has lots going for it, and like I said, I will stick with it and make it work, but there are certain aspects that really, really make me miss my good old Q.
  6. #26  
    I have no problem at all using the Pre with one hand, and I have big hands.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    Someone posted above that WebOS isn't one-handed... That was surprising, anyone else agree on that? I'd be happy if it's one-handed for the "basic" operations. For instance, is it possible to launch, type & send a text message using one hand? On the PRE/PRE 2, that is...
    That's perfectly possible.

    What I find, however, is that it's sometimes difficult to open the slider with just one hand, if I don't start out correctly (with a regular Pre, btw). So then I switch to two handed use.
    Check out Movie Diary.
  8. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #28  
    Thanks everyone! Looking forward to finding out for myself in a couple of days...
  9. #29  
    I'm still rocking the Centro after using the Treo 680 and 650. Primary reason for dragging my feet is that my company pays for my phone but not a data plan, so the pain of using old Palm software is balanced with the fact that it's free. However, my beloved PalmOS phone is almost dead after 5 years of living with the same os and 3rd party apps that I'll have to replace on a new platform. I have very much the same concerns and leanings as the original poster here.

    After much research my current leanings are as follows (I need to be on Verizon):
    1. Android (Samsung Continuum)
    2. WinPhone7 (yes I realize it's not out for Verizon yet but hopefully soon and after an update)
    2a. Blackberry (though it's starting to look like a dying OS, I already have one of those)
    3. PalmPre2
    4. Wait for next gen WebOS products.
    5. I'd wouldn't ever buy an Apple product even if iphone gets to Verizon so please no one suggest that even if it makes the most sense.

    I really really really wanted to stick with Palm but am just about ready to pull the trigger on Android. Someone please chime in if you think my assumptions are bad.

    1. Keyboard: After thinking I'd only ever want the classic treo/blackberry form factor with a small screen and hard keyboard, I'm starting to question that. With the ease of use of virtual keyboards on touchscreens, is there REALLY that much of an advantage to a Blackberry/Pre hard keyboard? I'm not looking to type long emails, but I text a lot and use a lot of quick in-and-out PIM functions.... The one-handed operation of the Treo experience is important to me. Can that be achieved with an on-screen keyboard now? Oh, and I absolutely detest those slide out horizontal keyboards.

    2. Not a toy: I don't care much about watching videos, gaming, or even high-end web browsing with a little gadget (prob why I'm still able to tolerate my Centro). If I want to do any of those I'd rather wait til I'm in front of a real computer or TV. Sure it'd be nice to be able to do, but my main reason for liking a large, high res screen is for the better 'tablet computer' experience.

    3. Music, audiobooks, pod-casting, music streaming etc IS important to me though. I'm assuming all new OS's are just fine with this. I'd want to use a 32gb card in the device to be able to have all my audio things with me.

    4. Customizeability is very important to me. I hate being spoon-fed a certain way to interface with anything. This is the primary reason I'm looking at Android and my biggest disappointment with WebOS and WinPhone7. Even though Android seems more clunky than the slicker OS's, I like the idea that it can evolve with my preferences and habits. I might love the card concept or tile concept now, but will I still love it when the novelty wears off? At some point, the shiny new toy needs to disappear and become a true digital assistant with as little interface friction as possible. Do you think the card concept of managing apps trumps Android's far greater number of options?

    5. PIM is my first and primary reason for using a smartphone. I want to get info in and out of it as quickly and easily as possible to manage my tasks, calendar, notes, contacts, etc. And I want it to do it exactly the way I choose to, not just how it came out of the box. When WebOS first came out I was very disappointed by the bare-bones task program. That told me that Palm was no longer in the efficient-pocket-PIM game but in the compete-with-icandy game. Same goes for WinMo7. It seemed to me that Microsoft was making the only non-blackberry PIM-driven devices with WinMo6.5. Now they've created the same sort of walled-garden experience as apple has with their zune/live only syncing....really?

    6. OneNote: I use a tablet PC and love OneNote (and it's integration with my work Outlook). It's by far my fav program of all time and MS's best kept secret. When I heard WinMo7 would have direct one-note sync I was so happy and felt my choice was made. Glad I waited for the reviews because it seems that MobileNoter (for iphone and SOON on Android) is the only real way to sync OneNote. This may be the real reason I'd go andoid. That MS doesn't have very good sync option for their best PIM software (one-note and outlook) absolutely boggles my mind. Do I HOPE that they'll someday get around to it or HOPE MobileNoter is written for WebOS? Or do I pick Android and have 3rd party apps get it done now? If I had my entire onenote experience in my pocket it would fundamentally change the role of the smartphone in my life. As far as I can tell there is ONE solution for this in the foreseeable future.

    I really just want a better version of what I have now.... great PIM but synced to the cloud.

    I want to be loyal to Palm and also actually LIKE MS products... is my best logical choice really Android? Sounds silly even saying it but after 5 years of Palm Garnet I can no longer wait for seemingly basic things that I want MY next gen smartphone to do.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    I'm still rocking the Centro after using the Treo 680 and 650. Primary reason for dragging my feet is that my company pays for my phone but not a data plan, so the pain of using old Palm software is balanced with the fact that it's free. However, my beloved PalmOS phone is almost dead after 5 years of living with the same os and 3rd party apps that I'll have to replace on a new platform. I have very much the same concerns and leanings as the original poster here.

    After much research my current leanings are as follows (I need to be on Verizon):
    1. Android (Samsung Continuum)
    2. WinPhone7 (yes I realize it's not out for Verizon yet but hopefully soon and after an update)
    2a. Blackberry (though it's starting to look like a dying OS, I already have one of those)
    3. PalmPre2
    4. Wait for next gen WebOS products.
    5. I'd wouldn't ever buy an Apple product even if iphone gets to Verizon so please no one suggest that even if it makes the most sense.

    I really really really wanted to stick with Palm but am just about ready to pull the trigger on Android. Someone please chime in if you think my assumptions are bad.

    1. Keyboard: After thinking I'd only ever want the classic treo/blackberry form factor with a small screen and hard keyboard, I'm starting to question that. With the ease of use of virtual keyboards on touchscreens, is there REALLY that much of an advantage to a Blackberry/Pre hard keyboard? I'm not looking to type long emails, but I text a lot and use a lot of quick in-and-out PIM functions.... The one-handed operation of the Treo experience is important to me. Can that be achieved with an on-screen keyboard now? Oh, and I absolutely detest those slide out horizontal keyboards.

    2. Not a toy: I don't care much about watching videos, gaming, or even high-end web browsing with a little gadget (prob why I'm still able to tolerate my Centro). If I want to do any of those I'd rather wait til I'm in front of a real computer or TV. Sure it'd be nice to be able to do, but my main reason for liking a large, high res screen is for the better 'tablet computer' experience.

    3. Music, audiobooks, pod-casting, music streaming etc IS important to me though. I'm assuming all new OS's are just fine with this. I'd want to use a 32gb card in the device to be able to have all my audio things with me.

    4. Customizeability is very important to me. I hate being spoon-fed a certain way to interface with anything. This is the primary reason I'm looking at Android and my biggest disappointment with WebOS and WinPhone7. Even though Android seems more clunky than the slicker OS's, I like the idea that it can evolve with my preferences and habits. I might love the card concept or tile concept now, but will I still love it when the novelty wears off? At some point, the shiny new toy needs to disappear and become a true digital assistant with as little interface friction as possible. Do you think the card concept of managing apps trumps Android's far greater number of options?

    5. PIM is my first and primary reason for using a smartphone. I want to get info in and out of it as quickly and easily as possible to manage my tasks, calendar, notes, contacts, etc. And I want it to do it exactly the way I choose to, not just how it came out of the box. When WebOS first came out I was very disappointed by the bare-bones task program. That told me that Palm was no longer in the efficient-pocket-PIM game but in the compete-with-icandy game. Same goes for WinMo7. It seemed to me that Microsoft was making the only non-blackberry PIM-driven devices with WinMo6.5. Now they've created the same sort of walled-garden experience as apple has with their zune/live only syncing....really?

    6. OneNote: I use a tablet PC and love OneNote (and it's integration with my work Outlook). It's by far my fav program of all time and MS's best kept secret. When I heard WinMo7 would have direct one-note sync I was so happy and felt my choice was made. Glad I waited for the reviews because it seems that MobileNoter (for iphone and SOON on Android) is the only real way to sync OneNote. This may be the real reason I'd go andoid. That MS doesn't have very good sync option for their best PIM software (one-note and outlook) absolutely boggles my mind. Do I HOPE that they'll someday get around to it or HOPE MobileNoter is written for WebOS? Or do I pick Android and have 3rd party apps get it done now? If I had my entire onenote experience in my pocket it would fundamentally change the role of the smartphone in my life. As far as I can tell there is ONE solution for this in the foreseeable future.

    I really just want a better version of what I have now.... great PIM but synced to the cloud.

    I want to be loyal to Palm and also actually LIKE MS products... is my best logical choice really Android? Sounds silly even saying it but after 5 years of Palm Garnet I can no longer wait for seemingly basic things that I want MY next gen smartphone to do.
    1) I hated virtual keyboards [having used the WebOS one and the iPhone one] I mean, I absolutely was committed to NEVER using one. Then the Evo came out and in about 5 minutes I was as able to use that as easily as I was able to use a physical keyboard.
    Now, I can type one handed without looking and 95% of the time, get it right.
    Also, no pain whatsoever. You aren't pushing in anything, you're touching it.
    I will never go back.

    2) I agree, well at least about the whole gaming and watching videos comment-- not so much the browsing comment. I think this is something that, may turn into a market, but not now and certainly not when the rest of your OS isn't offering at least a "par" experience.
    Why would anyone want to play 3d games on a small screen when they can on a big screen with the proper controller?
    Games are more of a "cool add on" than the marketing ploy Palm tried to turn it into.

    3) No sd card option with WebOS [something I think is very silly].
    Google editions
    Google Editions E-Book Store Coming This Month | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

    Need more be said?

    4) I will never understand [and have yet to receive ONE fact based comment on] why Android is 'clunky'.
    The XDA forums and many, many other forum sites offer way more possible adaptations than WebOS could ever imagine.
    Cards are cool. That's all they are.
    I honest to god prefer holding my "home key" for a second and getting the last 8 apps in icon form show up that I can switch to with ease. Cards have the issue that I have to scroll through and look to see which one is the one I want.
    Android's way allows me to see, in icon form, whatever is open. You can see why that would be more efficient.

    5) There are plenty of options on Android and few on WebOS [as you seem to know already so I won't continue speaking on WebOS's behalf].
    I use "Astrid tasks" for any tasks I want to keep track of but there are many other options.
    With Android entering the tablet market [and it will be with a ridiculous roar this upcoming year, especially with Honeycomb] these apps can only get better. Being as I'm not a HUGE PIM person, I'll just leave you with what I've said.

    6) I've learned one thing when it comes to this whole market.
    DON'T wait around for what "may come" in the future.
    You are ONLY SELLING ONE PERSON SHORT, YOURSELF.

    Just because you pick Android, WM7 or WebOS doesn't mean in a year or two you'll stick with it.
    This market changes so quickly it's sick.
    Android was nothing in 2009, now it's about to overtake the number one worldwide smartphone marker, RIM.


    Your final tidbit applies to what I said in number 6.
    There's no "loyalty" requirement. This is an OS, it is coding.
    Not your girlfriend/wife/family.
    Sitting by and hoping for something in the future is the worst thing you can do when everyone else is moving at 500 mph.
    The fact is, there are still A LOT of people-- even on these forums-- that are still waiting for things that they hoped would transpire when WebOS first came out.
    Hell, there are still people from PalmOS that are still waiting for Palm to add what the features they want!

    The fact is... Hpalm could COULD take WebOS to the next level.
    They COULD make it a serious competitor with Android/IOS.
    And IF they do, I'll be willing to look back into it.
    The choice is yours... wait for what MAY come or choose something that is doubling in marketshare [for very, very good reasons] every few months.




    Disclaimer: I do love WebOS, I love the UI and I was very much so dedicated to it at one point. I was very much so set with my like for physical keyboards and WebOS.
    Also, while it may seem that I was being unfair to WebOS in my reply, my comments were more based around Android for the simple reason that nathanb131 seems to know enough when it comes to WebOS
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 12/01/2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spell correction
  11. #31  
    Thanks so much for the concise reply Matty. The more I define my preferences in real terms, the more Android makes sense. I was looking through the Android app store for the first time a couple days ago and recalled how fun palm os when discovering all those PIM apps and customizations to choose from. Would be nice to have that same fun again.

    A couple of my reservations are probably unfounded but still bother me. One of them is that I don't particularly like the look and feel of google docs, gmail, etc. So I'm concerned that going to Android would somewhat force me to go in that direction over time because it all 'just works'. I like the way my outlook tasks, mail, calendar, word, excel, etc look and feel and interact with each other on my pc. But in terms of cloud computing and syncing, it's very cumbersome to make mobile. It seems that everyone is herding over the gmail way of doing things, and maybe that's a better way and I'm just being silly...but it just feels like a leap forward in reliability and connectivity but also a big leap back in terms of GUI and robustness of the PIM functions.

    I know my choices and life may be a lot simpler if I were to just forward all my work email to gmail and surrender to the new way of doing everything through it's cutesy interface... but I don't want to. I WANT my office experience to be fully synced to the cloud, and not in some watered down, glitchy way (winmob7 looks like it got reliability right but OneNote is horribly watered down and I'm pretty sure outlook tasks don't sync, ***). I'm tired of physical hot-syncing. I would love to put a note or task or calendar event in my phone and just have it appear on my pc next time I'm on and vice-versa. I don't want to have to manage any of that. And that's just it, I'm tiredof having to manage that I want something more than a cutesy web-based interface for my digital things. I'm increasingly jealous of people that happily use the simpler(dumbed down) google way of doing things. Do I become one of those people? Can I really see my several folders of dozens of outlook tasks as gtasks? Can you drag and drop documents, pics, contact links, etc into a gtask? Can you link them to Onenote notebooks? It seems like no matter where I turn, in order to be able to PIM the way I like it'll take heavy 3rd party software and cloud connectivity work-arounds to make it happen. For example, I understand the best way to sync my outlook to android (through the cloud, not usb sync) would be to sync it through gmail....see the first half of this paragraph.

    So Matty, as a PIM guy like me.... is it silly of me to cling to the Microsoft Office look and feel of doing things? Are there better, more reliable options that are more robust than gtasks but effortless in their connectivity? Is it impossible to be a hardcore Microsoft user and have my PIM 'just work' on all devices, all the time? Or is it time to not only leave Palm, but give up on Microsoft as well?

    Sure I could probably be just as effective and organized if I migrated from Outlook/OneNote to Gmail/Evernote.... But I can't shake the feeling that I'd be annoyed about having to look at cutesy web-based programs all day just to be able to have a seamlessly synced PIM.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    Thanks so much for the concise reply Matty. The more I define my preferences in real terms, the more Android makes sense. I was looking through the Android app store for the first time a couple days ago and recalled how fun palm os when discovering all those PIM apps and customizations to choose from. Would be nice to have that same fun again.

    A couple of my reservations are probably unfounded but still bother me. One of them is that I don't particularly like the look and feel of google docs, gmail, etc. So I'm concerned that going to Android would somewhat force me to go in that direction over time because it all 'just works'. I like the way my outlook tasks, mail, calendar, word, excel, etc look and feel and interact with each other on my pc. But in terms of cloud computing and syncing, it's very cumbersome to make mobile. It seems that everyone is herding over the gmail way of doing things, and maybe that's a better way and I'm just being silly...but it just feels like a leap forward in reliability and connectivity but also a big leap back in terms of GUI and robustness of the PIM functions.

    I know my choices and life may be a lot simpler if I were to just forward all my work email to gmail and surrender to the new way of doing everything through it's cutesy interface... but I don't want to. I WANT my office experience to be fully synced to the cloud, and not in some watered down, glitchy way (winmob7 looks like it got reliability right but OneNote is horribly watered down and I'm pretty sure outlook tasks don't sync, ***). I'm tired of physical hot-syncing. I would love to put a note or task or calendar event in my phone and just have it appear on my pc next time I'm on and vice-versa. I don't want to have to manage any of that. And that's just it, I'm tiredof having to manage that I want something more than a cutesy web-based interface for my digital things. I'm increasingly jealous of people that happily use the simpler(dumbed down) google way of doing things. Do I become one of those people? Can I really see my several folders of dozens of outlook tasks as gtasks? Can you drag and drop documents, pics, contact links, etc into a gtask? Can you link them to Onenote notebooks? It seems like no matter where I turn, in order to be able to PIM the way I like it'll take heavy 3rd party software and cloud connectivity work-arounds to make it happen. For example, I understand the best way to sync my outlook to android (through the cloud, not usb sync) would be to sync it through gmail....see the first half of this paragraph.

    So Matty, as a PIM guy like me.... is it silly of me to cling to the Microsoft Office look and feel of doing things? Are there better, more reliable options that are more robust than gtasks but effortless in their connectivity? Is it impossible to be a hardcore Microsoft user and have my PIM 'just work' on all devices, all the time? Or is it time to not only leave Palm, but give up on Microsoft as well?

    Sure I could probably be just as effective and organized if I migrated from Outlook/OneNote to Gmail/Evernote.... But I can't shake the feeling that I'd be annoyed about having to look at cutesy web-based programs all day just to be able to have a seamlessly synced PIM.
    When it comes to cloud based technology I think Google takes the cake... although I would have to say it's all still pretty far off.
    I guess the best word is it's still in "beta".

    Between dropbox, Catch notes and Astrid tasks [which sync with google tasks] I have pretty much everything backed up on the google site.

    Couple of comments.
    -You have to have a gmail account to use Android. You don't have to actually use it but to keep track of your purchased apps and to purchase them through the market through google checkout you do.
    -I do respect that you don't like the designs of certain things and it's not a moot point. UI is very important. Just remember that you do not HAVE to use the gmail app on android. You can use the mail app or download a different one. That's a great thing about it, so many choices.
    -Android is constantly being improved. That includes the cloud based technology. [especially since that is going to be the internet soon] That being said Google has the framework already in place for cloud services so that will do nothing but improve drastically in the next year or so.

    My suggestion to you is to test out a few different phones. Maybe do a little more reading.
    I know Sprint has it but maybe Verizon has the 30 day return policy too.
    If you don't like it then nothing would force you to live the year or what have you with the product.

    Let me know if I can be more help.
  13. LazPL's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #33  
    @ Nathanb131 - With PIM it's about ease-of-use, and that means in part at least, what you are used to. If you invested time in learning Outlook, onenote etc. then that's something to take into consideration. I got my Pre 2 today. It's really growing on me. I was getting tired of having to customize everything. I don't want my phone to be my HOBBY any more. I find, using the Pre 2, that it is very intuitive. I've been "discovering" new smart things about it all day.
    Android, still, is an OS for the hobbyist, in my opinion.
    My company was working on some commercials for the Samsung Galaxy S. When I first read about it, I though, WOW, what a phone! But when I got my hands on it I was disappointed. Android is really an APP PLATFORM. The built-in features felt extremely simplistic, and were not at all integrated, like in WebOS. WebOS seems very well thought through, the way your different PIM & other productivity-related apps work together.

    I am very very happy I got the Pre 2.
    I don't feel the need to fiddle around and customize, like I did all the time with my WinMob 6.5.x phones - the HTC Diamond & Touch Pro. I flashed a new OS every month, spent ages getting it right, then always found some key feature that didn't work as I wanted to, and back to flashing again.
    With the Pre 2 (although, I've only had it since this morning!) I don't feel that. Yes, the app catalog is small. Yes, there is much LESS you can customize. But the point is YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

    The only reason I can think of to get Android would be the app store. But as someone wrote above, I don't care about watching movies on my phone. I really don't. It's a tool, I want it unobtrusive, working, simple, intuitive, OUT OF THE WAY. So far, the Pre 2 is a pleasure to use.

    Good luck with your choice, and remember, there will ALWAYS be a bigger, better, faster phone tomorrow. Get what you want, today.

    Also, thanks everyone who helped me make my choice, right here in this thread!!! Be seing more of you in this forum for sure!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    With the Pre 2 (although, I've only had it since this morning!) I don't feel that. Yes, the app catalog is small. Yes, there is much LESS you can customize. But the point is YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
    Certainly from a performance stand point you don't have to.
    With the original Pre you certainly have to.

    I haven't actually used WebOS 2.0... but I will say that I remember having over 200 patches installed on my 1.4.5 version and none of those were performance related.

    My biggest gripe with WebOS is that it's way too simplified.
    Which is why I used so many patches and why I like Android.

    Only being informed of the time of a text if it's the first one sent in a while or if it's on the 5 or 0 [as in 10:30 or 10:35] is annoying.
    I should also be able to outright configure and choose which websites I can search in the universal search menu. etc
  15. #35  
    Thanks for the feedback fellas, this is getting interesting. I really do like that card concept of webOS, but to paraphrase Matty, I'm not really sure WHY I think that's be such a smoother way of task-switching. From what I can tell, using android, I'd be two or 3 taps away from switching into any other function. Not sure how that is better or worse than side-scrolling through some cards, besides it maybe more fun on the eyes shuffle the cards.

    Do you find yourself having like a dozen cards open at a time? I really liked that idea when webOS first came out. For example, it would be nice to toggle between sms, phone, reader, note-taker, list-program, calender, web-site, rss reader as little cards that seemingly are all alive and just waiting in the background to be re-focused on. Sometimes I like to type long emails, (or posts in good forums), and those often get interrupted. If I was working on a something like that, is it really a fundamentally different experience on WebOS?

    Does it work like this?: I'm composing an email, get interrupted by a call, that email get's carded to the back but is still 'open'. After ending the call I swipe my main email inbox card to forward a different message(while the original one still idles ready in the background), then swipe to my calender to enter an appointment, then I'm ready to go back to composing my original email by simply swiping the card back to the forefront. Sounds great!

    I like that concept of being able to change your focus among several 'live' things without having to open, close, save etc. Would this process be 'clunkier' on Android? Or are you able to bounce between programs with unsaved work in a routine fashion like with WebOS and it's just not graphically represented as cards? Or do you have to constantly close and re-open your work all the time? If so then this is a clear advantage for the pre2 which starts to make up for the app disadvantage.

    And are webOS programs really more connected and...um...synergistic than Android ones? Palm used to be GREAT at synergistic PIM (just wasn't cloud synced) by having the core calendar, tasks, contacts etc be able to talk to each other and be fully leveraged by apps. If the new 'synergy' means being able to see facebook and twitter updates from my unified contacts list than that doesn't really excite me. It's hard to believe that synergy is more than just combining some social networking and calendars when the stock notes and tasks obviously were just an afterthought for webOS. It REALLY bothers me that PALM of all companies chose to dumb-down their stock notes and tasks apps with webOS.

    Can you give me more examples of how webOS is a more 'unified' experience for you? And I'm not being snarky here, I'm genuinely curious.

    To go back to my one-note example.... I watched a video-review of that MobileNoter app which perfectly displays all your notes down to your original inking and formatting and lets you edit all you want. My holy grail. But wait, I noticed it took a few seconds to open (onenote files can get quite large, it's understandable it'd take a bit to open). Watching that gave me the impression the app was in its own little sandbox and not a 'native' function. Does that mean I'd have to open and close it every time I wanted to peek at a list or jot down an idea? Still better than what I do now but far from synergistic. To contrast, it SEEMS to me that the winphone7 one-note IS native and you can hop in and out without ever having to open or close it in a vacuum. One app is much better at what it does on it's own, but the other is designed from the ground up to be synergistic. Which is better?

    And maybe that point is moot since pre may never get onenote functionality due to poor adoption of its app market. However...if a program like Mobilenoter was available on WebOS.... WOULD it be more of a live animal as a card you just re-focus as needed? Or will Android let me keep that program open in full big screen glory on one of my 'home' screens also? Or would I always have to re-establish it to use it? Because if Android lets me keep a bunch of 'live' apps open on various desktops with widgets galore and they are relatively easy to toggle between... then I really have a hard time understanding what WebOS's advantage is besides that they came up with a particularly slick gui skin to switch apps with.
  16. zaccheo's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #36  
    yep ,you are right
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I should also be able to outright configure and choose which websites I can search in the universal search menu. etc
    WebOS 2.0 lets you add and use any website that is open search enabled. You'll be able to configure searchable websites, searchable apps, and quick actions for the new 'Just Type'

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    Does it work like this?: I'm composing an email, get interrupted by a call, that email get's carded to the back but is still 'open'. After ending the call I swipe my main email inbox card to forward a different message(while the original one still idles ready in the background), then swipe to my calender to enter an appointment, then I'm ready to go back to composing my original email by simply swiping the card back to the forefront. Sounds great!
    This is exactly how it works. I do very similar things on mine on a near daily basis at work.

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb131 View Post
    And are webOS programs really more connected and...um...synergistic than Android ones? Palm used to be GREAT at synergistic PIM (just wasn't cloud synced) by having the core calendar, tasks, contacts etc be able to talk to each other and be fully leveraged by apps. If the new 'synergy' means being able to see facebook and twitter updates from my unified contacts list than that doesn't really excite me. It's hard to believe that synergy is more than just combining some social networking and calendars when the stock notes and tasks obviously were just an afterthought for webOS. It REALLY bothers me that PALM of all companies chose to dumb-down their stock notes and tasks apps with webOS.
    I've not used Android for an extended period of time, so I can't comment on which is more connected. I do know they're better than your average iPhone app.

    However, they're still building on their synergy platform. WebOS 2.0 will bring more synergy features for applications, but it will be up to the app developers to take advantage of them. Palm has stated that they want to build a great foundation for developers to take advantage of rather than building everything themselves, so you won't be seeing a lot of the great new things in WebOS 2.0 until developers include them in their apps.
  18. #38  
    to interrupt this, I would have to tell you to just go into a store and try out the phones for yourself for awhile. Pick it up, play with the UI (if your at store that will let you), and if initially it grabs your attention then get it. Otherwise just from reading the posts above you'll be sucomb to Android *******, and Webos *******. They will push you towards what they like, and down the other OS on shortcomings to cloud your judgement. Just my opinion on things, because at the end of the day the device has to work for you, not because it was the cooler or the most popular one.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions