1.    #1  
    Update
    The Galaxy tab sold 1,000,000 tablets and thats not a fail by any stretch of the imagination.

http://www.koreaherald.com/national/...20101121000281 :

Samsung sells one million Galaxy Tab units (update: confirmed) -- Engadget

Sfm Evo
    Last edited by kinster02; 12/03/2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Update
    These numbers aren't necessarily indicative of success or failure in this circumstance. Samsung also thinks it will sell 10 million Tabs next year. I think that Samsung sells most of these to people who either refuse to buy Apple products or don't want to spend enough to buy an iPad. The real test will come when lots more big players start crowding the market in the next year or so with tablets.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    i was at best buy and happen to see it. it definitely looks good. ipad i thought was pretty heavy and so i think the smaller but lighter galaxy tab was much more suited as a better portable device and ebook reader.
    Fail or not, 600,000 is a lot better than HP's "sold out" 5,000 HP Slate 500s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Fail or not, 600,000 is a lot better than HP's "sold out" 5,000 HP Slate 500s.
    but thats targeted at the business market not consumer, so that comparison dosent hold any weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    but thats targeted at the business market not consumer, so that comparison dosent hold any weight.
    I was comparing success with failure, regardless of the targeted market. I'm pretty sure Samsung is selling their 600,000 units at a profit. I can show you how HP is probably selling each of their slate units at a loss (with greater losses to follow on the back orders). So you're right, they sort of are targeted at different markets, but only one of the two products has failed so far.
    I was comparing success with failure, regardless of the targeted market. I'm pretty sure Samsung is selling their 600,000 units at a profit. I can show you how HP is probably selling each of their slate units at a loss (with greater losses to follow on the back orders). So you're right, they sort of are targeted at different markets, but only one of the two products has failed so far.
    Orange and grapefruit. The mobile OS tablets and the PC tablets are different beasts and especially with the Slate being an Enterprise product. If we want to see how a consumer PC tablet performs we'll have to watch how sales on the Duo pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    These numbers aren't necessarily indicative of success or failure in this circumstance. Samsung also thinks it will sell 10 million Tabs next year. I think that Samsung sells most of these to people who either refuse to buy Apple products or don't want to spend enough to buy an iPad. The real test will come when lots more big players start crowding the market in the next year or so with tablets.
    Lord Jobs said DOA. 600k units might not be iPad numbers, but it ain't DOA.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    You do realize that Apple is on track to sell 19 Million iPads this year right? Also, let's not forget that Apple had about 45 days of a delivery issue when they couldn't build them fast enough.
    You do realize that Microsoft sold 240 million copies of Windows 7 this year, so would Steve say OS X is DOA? On second thought, maybe he would...

The iPad is selling fabulously, no need for Jobs (or any other "fan") to be so defensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Orange and grapefruit. The mobile OS tablets and the PC tablets are different beasts and especially with the Slate being an Enterprise product. If we want to see how a consumer PC tablet performs we'll have to watch how sales on the Duo pan out.
    How much longer are we going to accept the retconning of the Slate as "an enterprise device"?

"They're more powerful than a phone and almost as powerful as a PC. Perfect for reading, surfing the web and taking entertainment on the go," said Ballmer at his CES 2010 opening keynote. He says that it will be available this year.
    HP's Windows 7 Slate Device Revealed by Steve Ballmer

Ballmer wasn't just talking out of his posterior and stating a consumer focus that HP was unaware of. The device pictured is the exact same hardware as the "enterprise" HP Slate.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    How much longer are we going to accept the retconning of the Slate as "an enterprise device"?

Ballmer wasn't just talking out of his posterior and stating a consumer focus that HP was unaware of. The device pictured is the exact same hardware as the "enterprise" HP Slate.
    I'm sure when HP spent millions of dollars getting this device to market, it was their intention to:

- Only produce a few thousand of them.
    - Sell it for more than any other device it competes against.
    - Lose money on the sale of each device.

In the incomparable orange vs grapefruit world, selling small numbers of grapefruits at a loss isn't considered a fail, but selling hundreds of thousands of oranges at a profit is.
    I just don't get all this loyalty for HP, this need to defend them from the impingement of truth -- it weirdly reminds me of when the GOP apologized to BP for all the criticism they had to suffer from their oil spill
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I'm sure when HP spent millions of dollars getting this device to market, it was their intention to:

In the incomparable orange vs grapefruit world, selling small numbers of grapefruits at a loss isn't considered a fail, but selling hundreds of thousands of oranges at a profit is.
    No actually it was HP's intent to scrap the device altogther in favor of the PalmPad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Tablet-Android-Windows-7-Palm-Web-OS,10315.html

However M$ being the savvy company they are, had some type of production contract that was likely more costly to HP than just building the damn thing. Now reqs having been met, they can kill it off as a "fail" and move forward with webOS.
    At 600,000 units, the Tab is definitely not a failure. I will be the first to admit I was wrong about that prediction. I'm curious to know how many of those sales are to people in places where the iPad is not available. I am also anxious to find out if the product is sticky. That is to say, will people be satisfied with the product and continue to use it, or will they be unsatisfied with the limitations of size and native app availability. I'm sure Changewave will do a survey to answer these, and other must-know questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    No actually it was HP's intent to scrap the device altogther in favor of the PalmPad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Tablet-Android-Windows-7-Palm-Web-OS,10315.html

However M$ being the savvy company they are, had some type of production contract that was likely more costly to HP than just building the damn thing. Now reqs having been met, they can kill it off as a "fail" and move forward with webOS.
    If that is the case, why was HP able to opt out of making WP7 devices when they were listed as launch partners and presumably, Microsoft had them ink a deal for that as well. In fact, why are they putting out press releases trumpeting the sales of a product they are merely obligated to make?

A presentation from almost nearly a year ago, how nice, because NOTHING ever changes in a years time, NEVER.

Since they only released an Enterprise configuration that means they either plan to release a consume configuration later or scrapped it comepletely and plan to have the "PalmPad" (powered by the webOS they bought 6 months ago) fill the consumer market.

It competes against HP's other tablet PC offering with the tm2t, that's it.

As for costs and losses, considering how big a push Microsoft made for the Slate to exist who knows which company is actually eating the majority of the losses that might be incurred. And I say might since this IS an Enterprise targeted device the sales numbers are going to be different. Enterprise devices don't "fly off the shelves" like consumer targeted devices because in general, business aren't as impulsive about tech purchases as consumers.

If that is the case, why was HP able to opt out of making WP7 devices when they were listed as launch partners and presumably, Microsoft had them ink a deal for that as well. In fact, why are they putting out press releases trumpeting the sales of a product they are merely obligated to make?
    I fail to see how a Windows tablet and WP7 phones are related. They're separate business deals hence unrelated contract agreements assuming there was a finalized or even strong binding contract for either.
    Since they only released an Enterprise configuration that means they either plan to release a consume configuration later or scrapped it comepletely and plan to have the "PalmPad" (powered by the webOS they bought 6 months ago) fill the consumer market.
    Translation: HP's business plan with their Slate device was awful.

It competes against HP's other tablet PC offering with the tm2t, that's it.
    Really? A netbook-level, keyboardless, mini-screened device can actually compete with a 12" screen, Core-i3, 500 GB hard drive, tablet PC? Is this further evidence of HP's completely failed business plan with the 500 Slate?

As for costs and losses, considering how big a push Microsoft made for the Slate to exist who knows which company is actually eating the majority of the losses that might be incurred. And I say might since this IS an Enterprise targeted device the sales numbers are going to be different. Enterprise devices don't "fly off the shelves" like consumer targeted devices because in general, business aren't as impulsive about tech purchases as consumers.
    HP is eating the entire bill on this one, including the ding against their reputation, especially after they tried to spin this as a "greater than expected demand" situation. Microsoft doesn't pay people to use their x86-based OSes - they make others pay them.
    Translation: HP's business plan with their Slate device was awful.
    Arguable. Enterprise doesn't have the immediate results the consumer market does so we'll see how it works out.

Really? A netbook-level, keyboardless, mini-screened device can actually compete with a 12" screen, Core-i3, 500 GB hard drive, tablet PC? Is this further evidence of HP's completely failed business plan with the 500 Slate?
    On benchmarks? No. On size, weight, and battery life? Maybe. They're competing options.

HP is eating the entire bill on this one, including the ding against their reputation, especially after they tried to spin this as a "greater than expected demand" situation. Microsoft doesn't pay people to use their x86-based OSes - they make others pay them.
    Normally that's true but there are special cases where if they want to push something they'll chip in for the costs.

And now back on topic: Samsung sells one million Galaxy Tab units (update) -- Engadget