Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    HI all,

    FYI.

    Take care,

    Jay

    Angry Birds Devs Angry At Android FragmentationBy Daniel Ionescu, PCWorld Nov 19, 2010 10:05 am

    Angry Birds Devs Angry At Android Fragmentation - PCWorld


    Rovio Mobile, developers of the addictive Angry Birds game, has run into the oft-denied Android platform fragmentation issue. The company said in a blog post that it is now working on a separate, lighter version of its Android game version, after users reported performance problems with several older Android devices.

    Angry Birds for Android was launched on the platform on October 15, and was a phenomenal success, with over two million downloads in a just a few days. A month later, the company says it has to develop a separate, more lightweight version of its Android app. At the root of the problem: fragmentation of the Android platform; the result: almost 30 Android phone models are officially unsupported by Angry Birds right now.

    "We worked hard to bring Angry Birds to even more Android devices," the Angry Birds team wrote. "Despite our efforts, we were unsuccessful in delivering optimal performance. We are aware that a number of our fans have had trouble running the game on their devices. For example, some older and lower performance Android devices are experiencing severe performance issues."

    But it's not only older Android devices, like the HTC myTouch 3G or T-Mobile G1, that are officially unsupported by Angry Birds. The list includes newer phones like the Motorola BackFlip, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini, or the brand-new T-Mobile G2 Touch. Also, any devices running a version of Android below 1.6 are not supported (8 percent of Android phones out there).


    Fragmentation: Not Just About Software Versions

    Android hardware manufacturers have been traditionally slow to keep up with Google's fast pace of software updates. Dozens of Android smartphone models now on the market are sold running an older version of the mobile OS. Slowly, many Android phones are being updated with the latest software release, and Google's own figures show that just 36 percent of Android phones run on the latest release (version 2.2), while 40 percent are on 2.1, and 15 percent on 1.6.

    However, it's not only software differences that make developing for Android harder for software developers. Various screen resolutions, different processor speeds, different amounts of RAM, and customized Android interfaces all play a big part in the Android fragmentation. These differences are also probably at the core of Angry Birds' performance problems on many Android phones.

    At the other end of the spectrum is Apple's iOS and its integrated ecosystem, where the Angry Birds game originated, and the platform that propelled the game into stardom. Apple CEO Steve Jobs was not hesitant to rip into Google's fragmentation issues with Android, characterizing it as "a mess for both users and developers."

    Google's plan to end Android fragmentation includes detaching many standard apps (like Mail, Maps, Photos) from the main OS, and update them independently via the Android Market. However, resolving Android fragmentation will see more hurdles ahead, as Google is preparing to launch Android 3.0 in a few weeks, adding yet another version of its OS on the market.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/19/rovio-feels-the-burn-of-android-fragmentation-plans-light-ver/
  3. #3  
    <merged>
  4. #4  
    Google's on speed man, I swear.
  5. #5  
    If you reallythink about it, all 3 (google, apple and palm) are on a similar timefram as far as .x and x. Updates (palm has made many smaller .xx updates compared to bob os's) anyway point being it's about a year and a half between major os releases for palm and android and a year for iPhone (not exactly but in that range) the real problem is that android devices have so many different devices with different speaks, different skins, + carrier support that its probably going to make googles success slow down to palm and wp7. Palm will probably be he closest contender with apple because of it's intuitive interface, future ecosystem, and the fact it's owned by it's manufacturer which happens to be HP. windows phone will appeal to those who buy android phones now that aren't only buying them as a replacement to the iPhone. ( SO many people I know only have one for that reason). Windows phone also offers multiple manufacturers but with restrictions and requirements which make it more unified. IMHO I think googles os will replace low end os's like the instinct os ect unless it shows some substantial upgrades and changes. Not saying it's a bad os, just don't seem much other then the high end hardware, and app store, that separates it from something like the instinct os. Look at how devices a year old are treated? I'm sure the ego will probably not be supported this Time next year in which contributes to fragmentation.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I don't see why they will feel anything but joy. In the first day the game got over a million downloads. On webos it won a competition with only 30k downloads. That is pathetic. The last time I checked it didn't have 40k downloads.
    Yes, because having to rewrite an app for a platform you already wrote for , will leave any dev with a smile

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  7. #7  
    I always thought the Rovio developers were smarter than this. Why would they build a program to a spec that exceeded their target market? That's just developer common sense 101 stuff there. The real irony is the program runs on 92% of all Android versions (1.6-2.2), but Rovio was too myopic to test their wares on the more anemic Androids still in the field before they released it. When they were called on their gross oversight, they attempted to blame their ignorance on "fragmentation" instead of simply correcting their mistake.

    Blaming Google Android for fragmentation because a program doesn't run on a slow phone is like Blaming Microsoft Windows because Starcraft 2 won't run on your Pentium 386 box running Windows 3.1 at 100 MHz. Ludicrous and silly.
  8. #8  
    I think they are right to be Angry ;-)
    Developers & Companies do NOT like to maintain/test/deploy on multiple hardware configurations..2-3 maybe but dozens, hundreds? some with vastly different hardware?

    Apple/Win7/HPalm on the other hand have tight boundaries on the hardware/software and makes product development easier.

    I predict Android will be as fragmented as Desktop linux is now and always remain as the 2nd choice.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    I think they are right to be Angry ;-)
    Developers & Companies do NOT like to maintain/test/deploy on multiple hardware configurations..2-3 maybe but dozens, hundreds? some with vastly different hardware?
    Yet Roxio has managed to sell to the vast majority of Android users with only a single version. Another way to think of this - Roxio spent the same or more development money building a webOS version as they did building an Android version, yet only reached ~1/10th as many devices with the webOS version. Roxio would reach more end users by having two Android versions - a high performance version and a low performance version - than one Android version and one Palm version. In other words, Roxio doesn't seem to understand how to target their software for the greatest exposure. I guess they would rather target inefficiently, then try to blame their own shortcomings on something they had complete control over.

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    Apple/Win7/HPalm on the other hand have tight boundaries on the hardware/software and makes product development easier.
    But even apple has some fragmentation issues already. Older iPhones/iPos Touches can't use the new OS (4.x). Win7 just came out - it would be pretty surprising if they debuted with already outdated phones, wouldn't it? Give them some time - the fragmentation will come too. And webOS' 'tight boundaries' have prevented 3rd party developers from building a host of otherwise industry-standard apps due to arcane API limitations. Seems like more open boundaries might make for greater innovation and better phones, wouldn't you say?

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    I predict Android will be as fragmented as Desktop linux is now and always remain as the 2nd choice.
    And I predict that older hardware will eventually become outdated and unable to support new software - isn't that an impressive prediction? I'm not sure what to make of the "2nd choice" part of your comment - are you saying the #1 selling Android platform is everyone's "2nd choice" somehow?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    But even apple has some fragmentation issues already. Older iPhones/iPos Touches can't use the new OS (4.x).
    They do, but it's not necessarily because of the operating system. id just released Rage Mobile (which is amazing) in SD and HD versions. LucasArts just put out a sequel to the old Star Wars Arcade game that has an augmented reality mode that, understandably, doesn't work on older hardware.

    Fragmentation happens. Things get old. I'd rather see Rovio say "go upgrade to a real phone" than seeing them go out of their way to target obsolete devices and older versions of Android.
  11. #11  
    but the fragmentation isnt just on old obsolete devices...

    its funny the xperia x10 came out in july and was running 1.6, it didnt get an update to 2.1 yet ..

    the fragmentation thats being discussed is the fact that carriers are ignoring the phones within 6 months of it being out... heck if verizon didnt add vcast to the rom , do you think the incredible would have gotten its update??
  12. #12  
    Andoid's fragmentation is hardware/software/vendors and in the order of few months. This is not the same as 1st Gen/2nd Gen/3rd Gen device from a single company. And no uniform method of OS upgrades.

    Atleast Rovio is making a not so angry version of the game, as this makes business sense.

    And webOS' 'tight boundaries' have prevented 3rd party developers from building a host of otherwise industry-standard apps due to arcane API limitations.
    WebOS is the most open as far as I can see. API limitations is a different thing, its still version 1.x. Moreover Rovio had a WebOS Angry Bird MUCH before Android. This tells you something. Developer interest of Webos is low cos of Palm's hardware/marketting failing.

    I'm not sure what to make of the "2nd choice" part of your comment - are you saying the #1 selling Android platform is everyone's "2nd choice" somehow?
    Average Consumers still aspire for an iPhone given the money!
  13. #13  
    The fragmentation is really ugly with Android, and is only getting worse. Here's to hoping HP webOS continues to spread to all devices, even when all these new devices come out in 2011.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I don't see why they will feel anything but joy. In the first day the game got over a million downloads. On webos it won a competition with only 30k downloads. That is pathetic. The last time I checked it didn't have 40k downloads.
    Of course Android will have more downloads with a bigger market share, but the Android version being free did help boost those numbers.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Of course Android will have more downloads with a bigger market share, but the Android version being free did help boost those numbers.
    +1

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  16. #16  
    c'mon then rovio, relase a new angry birds on webOS, it's much easier.
  17. #17  
    I still don't see where they said they were "angry."
  18. #18  
    It's in the thread title


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  19. Analog's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #19  
    Um...yeah...pretty sure that the "angry" in the PC World headline is just the headline writer being cute. Because...you know...the game has the word "angry" in the title. So. You know. Putting it in the headline is kind of what you might call a play on words. You know, because the game is called "Angry Birds."

    "Angry Birds Devs Angry..." <---- see what I mean there? They're angry, just like the birds, according to the headline writer! It's a play on the word "angry"!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Um...yeah...pretty sure that the "angry" in the PC World headline is just the headline writer being cute. Because...you know...the game has the word "angry" in the title. So. You know. Putting it in the headline is kind of what you might call a play on words. You know, because the game is called "Angry Birds."

    "Angry Birds Devs Angry..." <---- see what I mean there? They're angry, just like the birds, according to the headline writer! It's a play on the word "angry"!
    you mean like it's an huumm analogy - hehe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions