Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "so the gloves are off the love is gone" Jay-z superugly

let me start off by saying, lets get down to the beef, the whole freaking cow. So Webos got off to a fast start and slow fast, while android got off to a slow start and is soaring. Though looking at the two OS's, IMO I believe Webos has more potential then Android does. Stated that, as well as the reason Webos slowed, is because of lack of funds and capital to keep the train moving. Lets start this discussion with the pro's and cons (yes Im looking for alot of feedback from android supporters and theres alot here)

First as even Rod pointed out at the DEVO conference Android is not based off of a true linux kernel. Android is based upon a modified version of the Linux kernel. As Webos is: HP webOS is Palm's proprietary mobile operating system running on the Linux kernel.[3] Also as stated can Google even really call their OS open source:

"Google is in an interesting position here. On the one hand, they have worked hard to make sure that above the kernel layer Android is not GPL licensed. This serves to calm worried manufacturers threatened by the idea of having to release source. It seems, sadly, like a necessary step in order for Android to receive the kind of market prominence that Google wants for it.

On the other hand, it seems hypocritical for Google to tout Android’s “open source” credentials when it seems so clear that most companies profiting from it are completely oblivious, maybe even antagonistic, to open source.

Project Gus» Blog Archive » The Sad State of Open Source in Android tablets

really with the basic complaints even with developing for webos is the availablity of the functionality (API etc) within the OS. We all know they were always playing catch up with limited resources. Though even as one editor will note developing for all three (IOS, WEBOS, and Android) actully the IOS was the harder out of the 3, and he like most anaylist, and developers I've come across in the past 12 months still prefer webos over android:

Breaking Down the Signal – The Android, iOS, and WebOS Comparison | Stay N' Alive

so to me my question is......is it safe to say, with a true linux OS in webos, and as long as HP allows Palms intial vision to blossom, with their resources can Webos be the greatest OS in history? Or do you think one of the other competitors will be ala Android, IOS, or WP7?
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 11/20/2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Google's been fuzzing up the definition of open for a while now but why does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    so to me my question is......is it safe to say, with a true linux OS in webos, and as long as HP allows Palms intial vision to blossom, with their resources Webos can be the greatest OS in history?
    If people really cared about having an open, recompileable kernel, they'd be flocking to Linux on their desktops and notebooks. That's not happening because it really doesn't matter how open source an operating system is.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Google's been fuzzing up the definition of open for a while now but why does it matter?

If people really cared about having an open, recompileable kernel, they'd be flocking to Linux on their desktops and notebooks. That's not happening because it really doesn't matter how open source an operating system is.
    correct, but that was only some of my comparison between the two OS's, Do you think Webos will end up being the superior OS, with all the factors I listed?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    correct, but that was only some of my comparison between the two OS's, Do you think Webos will end up being the superior OS, with all the factors I listed?
    Sure it could be the best ever - and still a completely failure that disappears, the two are not mutually exclusive.
    Having an open kernel doesn't drive sales or attract developers. And the idea of webOS being more open than Android doesn't really ring true to me either. I can't imagine HP being overly pleased if someone manages to compile the kernel against non-HP hardware and booting it, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Sure it could be the best ever - and still a completely failure that disappears, the two are not mutually exclusive.
    I understand that Beta was a superior videocassette system to VHS, and look what happened.

Marketing means something.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  7.    #7  
    Having an open kernel doesn't drive sales or attract developers. And the idea of webOS being more open than Android doesn't really ring true to me either. I can't imagine HP being overly pleased if someone manages to compile the kernel against non-HP hardware and booting it, for example.
    I understand your point, but I guess what I was getting at in the original post is do you think Webos is, can be, or will be the better OS considering that it is a better build, or seems to be a better build then Android.
    Better in what sense? To me, the quality of an operating system is directly related to the amount of developer support it enjoys. Beyond that, things like featureset, stability, and resource management are pretty important as well. I don't think any of these benefit from webOS' theoretical position as the most open mobile OS on the market -- particularly since it doesn't have third parties continuously modifying and checking in code.
  9.    #9  
    Better in what sense? To me, the quality of an operating system is directly related to the amount of developer support it enjoys. Beyond that, things like featureset, stability, and resource management are pretty important as well. I don't think any of these benefit from webOS' theoretical position as the most open mobile OS on the market -- particularly since it doesn't have third parties continuously modifying and checking in code.
    correct at the moment, but as I stated in the posting do you THINK IF HP continues the develop Webos, on the same path Palm had intended, do you think potentially Webos will be the better OS. Even if not one more developer develops for webOS, it dosent mean that the OS as a whole is not the dominate OS, or not the inferior one. Look at it this way take individual developers, marketing, sales etc out of the equation. Now bring each OS up to its potential, DO YOU your opinion think Webos would be a better OS considering all the facts above, or your own compared to Android? Not just in a sense of it being open or closed, just bottom line In your opinion the POTENTIAL.
    If we put each OS in a vacuum and ignore practical usage, you mean? I think they're all the same, conceptually.
  11.    #11  
    If we put each OS in a vacuum and ignore practical usage, you mean? I think they're all the same, conceptually.
    ok so you think there the same thanks for your opinion....wasnt too hard was it?
    WebOS is the best OS for Phones, but that is not so important for the success of an OS.
    For example Windows was not the best System for Computers, but it had most success.

Marketing is important, Sales are important.
    Android has the Power of Google. Its improving really fast. All the world is looking to Google and what they do.

When you look at Palm: They did an amazing Job with webos. But the Hardware is not amazing. Updates are too slow. Ok messaging with the pre is perfekt. SMS, GTalk, Live Messenger are all in One. Contacts are really good. But whats with Google Maps. Or an Navigation Software. Or Flash. WebOS Apps are behind Android Apps.

Google Maps with turn by turn Navigation would be cool on a Pre.

Another thing is that we still have no flash. And we wait for a long time.
    Even with HP we still have to wait for comming Months.
    If i would have the choise now, i would by an Android Phone.

Also the Advantages of WebOS will be copied by the other OS.
    Blackberry Playbook is using same Multitasking for example.

I would not be surprised if Android 3.0 would be with all the goods of WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Why wasn't Windows the best for computers? Are you suggesting everyone spend a couple $1000 for a computer running Mac OS? That's exactly what would have happened if Apple had its way. I know you cannot be suggesting a Linux distro which has barely improved over the years.

There is no Live messenger for webos that works well imo. There are many things I don't like about Webos and the way it handles open programs is one of them. For eg. the messenger programs are all terrible and none are free. To remain connected you must keep a card open. On Android I can stay connected by having the program in the background with a little icon in the corner and they don't cost anything.
    To be fair, having to keep a card open in order to stay connected is an issue with the specific app. webOS allows for it. The same (bad?) decision could be made with an Android app by not using a service.
    ok so you think there the same thanks for your opinion....wasnt too hard was it?
    Huh? After all those qualifiers, you come to the conclusion that they are the same? Strange.

Here's my take. All of the new mobile OSes have great potential. I don't see one necessarily having more potential than another. The problem is this: generally speaking, no one cares about the potential. People want to know what it can do now. webOS has the potential to have voice actions. Problem is it does not have it now. iOS has the potential to do non-intrusive notifications. The problem is it does not have that now. Android has the potential to have a uniform look and feel for all apps. The problem is it does not have that now. The list goes on and on.

When someone walks into XYZ carrier to buy a phone they are not interested in what it "might" be able to do at some undetermined point in the future. They tend to want to know what it can do right now. If they want feature X and A can do it but B can't, A get's the sale (even if B has the potential to do it...at some point in the future...maybe).
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    You are wrong. Webos does not allow apps that stay active and run in the background. The developers have already confirmed this. Try every single messenger program and all of them work the exact same way. The only apps that can run in the background are ones that wake at specific times like Tweed. Only Palm apps can run in the background like that.

It woul dhave been a lot better if WebOS allowed you to minimize an app instead of all these cards that you have to flip through.
    I have a couple apps that I wrote that do it (not in the app catalog). There are tricks that can be used (alarms, power, etc). I thought there were some in the catalog that do it (I haven't checked in a while since I no longer use or develop for webOS daily). Doesn't GeoStrings do it?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Wellwellwell, I feel webOS is great and could soar to new heights, but hardware and developement are a problem at the moment. You see, it's not hard for google to keep android on the cutting edge, all they have to do is software and let the handset makers take care of the hardware. For hp and palm it's a much tougher challenge, they have to develope software and hardware. They're also coming late to the party and google is leading the pack with software developement.

WebOS can move to the top, but full commitment to hardware and software are a must, at least if they have any hope of being at the top of the food chain. Mid range won't take you to the top and one handset(alla apple) won't keep you there. The game has changed in the last 6 months and if you can't evolve with it, you'll likely become nothing more than a footnote.
    I highly suggest you read this article: Daring Fireball: Where Are the Android Killer Apps?

It gives a great spin on Android, iOS and WP7 regarding apps.
    I use the messaging patches, for windows live messenger, google talk, icq.
    Its working great. All in the messaging app of weobos.

Are the messaging patches not working on your devices???
    to answer the OP's question which I completely understand, is yes. I do think webos can be the best.apps are important and so is hardware. But at the core is the os. Delete apps and devices and look at the OS

iOS
    - look and feel
    + glossy bulky
    + clean look (color scheme is simple but attractive
    + design elements are smooth and apps look fluint, utilizing different looks for catered designs.
    + mix of tap and gesture based navigation
    ++ biggest issue is the bulk of the design. While it was probably meant for easy touching it would not have been bad to minimize sme of the navigation. Also it can be bland at times. Also sometimes things take too many taps

basic functinality
    - multitasking is a bit old school and switching apps is a bit more annoying then it should be.
    -push notifications are awesome!!
    -notificatin system is horrid, there isn't one! It's jst a pop up and that's it
    -folders make organizing a bit better but can be frustrating when trying to move an app between pages
    -most of os relies on 3rd party apps to do everything (messaging, tasks, uploading pictures)
    -very losed system
    - smooth with little if any lag.
    - sometimes apps just close. Happens most with browser.

android
    -more open though still requires rooting to really dig into and is not supported by every manufacturer
    -deisgn is not at all atractive compared to even some dumbphone designs. (feels like featurephone os at times)
    -fragmentation not just os version wise, but usage wise. For example a some devices support multitouch, some don't. Some have haptic feedback, some don't.
    -not all apps work on all phones.
    - good notifications system and customization of it.
    - not so great messaging
    -lack of intuitivity (most innovations are due to manufacturer ui skins)
    -bad organization of apps
    - marketplace is nice due to refund policy BIG plus!
    - camera app has lots of functions! But layout is ugly and obtrusive.
    - widgets are awesome for easy at a glance info!
    -not so great as far as music app and photo viewng but does support sharing easier.
    has good features such at syncing certain accounts including facebook.
    -navigations seems stagnant not kinetic.

webos
    - elegant multitasking but no way to hide apps being used meaning no background support except for native apps
    - no widgets but exhibition in 2.0 will help with that
    - stacks make it easier to navigate through related apps.
    - most open (no root required and easy to be for no coders to add new functionalit
    - awesome intigration with services such as accounts with email and social services, and messaging
    - inttive navigation through gestures. easy access to launcher and fav apps.
    great notification system but needs more customization.
    - needs fvisual voicemail baked in.
    - works similar to ios as far as updates
    - clean and unabtrusive design
    - apps need to be more design friendly
    - lag is a bit agitating
    - slow boot
    - apps take long to open

looking at this it could seem as if ios has the least issues, however looking at it smartly, webos has the most potential. almost all of it's ssues are fixable. including having more apps and beter hardware. android would need to overhaul their os alot to really beat either. most people don't buy androids for the os. they buy them for the same reasons most teans buy blackberries, for a specific function. (blackberry is the keyboard, android is for a touchscreen, udually would prefer an iphone. that is the general public. most peple who have seen my phone os love it. so yet again I do believe webos could be the best. and I am not biased as I do have an itouch and did originally want an android before webos was announced.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    to answer the OP's question which I completely understand, is yes. I do think webos can be the best.apps are important and so is hardware. But at the core is the os. Delete apps and devices and look at the OS

iOS
    - look and feel
    + glossy bulky
    + clean look (color scheme is simple but attractive
    + design elements are smooth and apps look fluint, utilizing different looks for catered designs.
    + mix of tap and gesture based navigation
    ++ biggest issue is the bulk of the design. While it was probably meant for easy touching it would not have been bad to minimize sme of the navigation. Also it can be bland at times. Also sometimes things take too many taps

basic functinality
    - multitasking is a bit old school and switching apps is a bit more annoying then it should be.
    -push notifications are awesome!!
    -notificatin system is horrid, there isn't one! It's jst a pop up and that's it
    -folders make organizing a bit better but can be frustrating when trying to move an app between pages
    -most of os relies on 3rd party apps to do everything (messaging, tasks, uploading pictures)
    -very losed system
    - smooth with little if any lag.
    - sometimes apps just close. Happens most with browser.

android
    -more open though still requires rooting to really dig into and is not supported by every manufacturer
    -deisgn is not at all atractive compared to even some dumbphone designs. (feels like featurephone os at times)
    -fragmentation not just os version wise, but usage wise. For example a some devices support multitouch, some don't. Some have haptic feedback, some don't.
    -not all apps work on all phones.
    - good notifications system and customization of it.
    - not so great messaging
    -lack of intuitivity (most innovations are due to manufacturer ui skins)
    -bad organization of apps
    - marketplace is nice due to refund policy BIG plus!
    - camera app has lots of functions! But layout is ugly and obtrusive.
    - widgets are awesome for easy at a glance info!
    -not so great as far as music app and photo viewng but does support sharing easier.
    has good features such at syncing certain accounts including facebook.
    -navigations seems stagnant not kinetic.

webos
    - elegant multitasking but no way to hide apps being used meaning no background support except for native apps
    - no widgets but exhibition in 2.0 will help with that
    - stacks make it easier to navigate through related apps.
    - most open (no root required and easy to be for no coders to add new functionalit
    - awesome intigration with services such as accounts with email and social services, and messaging
    - inttive navigation through gestures. easy access to launcher and fav apps.
    great notification system but needs more customization.
    - needs fvisual voicemail baked in.
    - works similar to ios as far as updates
    - clean and unabtrusive design
    - apps need to be more design friendly
    - lag is a bit agitating
    - slow boot
    - apps take long to open

looking at this it could seem as if ios has the least issues, however looking at it smartly, webos has the most potential. almost all of it's ssues are fixable. including having more apps and beter hardware. android would need to overhaul their os alot to really beat either. most people don't buy androids for the os. they buy them for the same reasons most teans buy blackberries, for a specific function. (blackberry is the keyboard, android is for a touchscreen, udually would prefer an iphone. that is the general public. most peple who have seen my phone os love it. so yet again I do believe webos could be the best. and I am not biased as I do have an itouch and did originally want an android before webos was announced.

thank you thank you thank you for answering my question, though some other post before did get a piece of the question I was asking, you def got it, and answered it in your own opinion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast