Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    Is it me or is this a little ridiculous..

    iPad 2 initial parts suppliers revealed | BGR | Boy Genius Report

    DIGITIMES states that the iPad 2 will be released in the first quarter of 2011, as expected.
    Sprint Love
  2. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #2  
    You are setting yourself up for a lot of "It's you." comments.

    But seriously, Apple updates almost all their products on an annual basis so it is no surprise that an iPad 2 will come out in April.
  3. #3  
    I wonder how it will impact x-mass sales. I have already told my wife not to buy any for her family and to relay the message because there will be a refresh in the coming months.

    Its genius on apples part because they clear old inventory with x mass right before a launch, but it does not sit right in my gut.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Its genius on apples part because they clear old inventory with x mass right before a launch, but it does not sit right in my gut.
    Why not? It's good for consumers, it's good for Apple, it's good for Apple investors. Why is this not good for Titan078?

    The only bad I see in this is consumers denying themselves a device because a future rumored device with unknown capabilities might come out in the near future. Fence hangers never seem to know what they want in a device.
  5. #5  
    Consumers expect a new model every year. As long as Apple can do it and maintain a high quality (antenna gate notwithstanding), this is a good move.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The great thing about iPads is that, unlike most consumer electronics, it retains almost all of its usefulness among a wide range of people. If you're interested in the latest and greatest iPad there will be no shortage of people who are willing to inherit or buy your current one. Kids, spouses, students, professionals, whatever. The screen is glass so if you've kept it in a case it'll likely be pristine physical condition. No worries about the battery, of course.

    Everyone wants one. It's a great value proposition.



    It sounds like Apple is going to sell a lot of iPads to your extended family in the next several months. It's pretty amazing to think about what the potential market is.
    Good for Apple. Until a real competitor serious about this market segment shows up, they deserve to dominate and make a gazillion dollars.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why not? It's good for consumers, it's good for Apple, it's good for Apple investors. Why is this not good for Titan078?

    The only bad I see in this is consumers denying themselves a device because a future rumored device with unknown capabilities might come out in the near future. Fence hangers never seem to know what they want in a device.
    Its not rumored its a fact . I have a particular view of apple and i am sure my bias slips into my comments, but they are going to release a new device 2-4 months after the x mass rush. For the same reason i would not buy a pre now i could not advise anyone to buy an ipad. The reason why it does not sit well with me is because its the opposite of what most companies do. Its almost arrogant. Usually companies want to have their newest product (kinect, black ops, etc.) available for the holiday season, but apple knows that they do not need to.

    I surely do not understand apples marketing strategy. That being said, I know that if I did not know about how apple releases products and i bought an ipad for x mass only to have them release or announce the ipad2 within the next month i would be jaded.

    I get it, I understand it, I dont like it. Probably for all the same reasons that i got a pre instead of an iphone and i will be getting a palm pad instead of an ipad.

    And i think we all know that what is good for investors in the short term is not always good for the end customer.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The great thing about iPads is that, unlike most consumer electronics, it retains almost all of its usefulness among a wide range of people. If you're interested in the latest and greatest iPad there will be no shortage of people who are willing to inherit or buy your current one. Kids, spouses, students, professionals, whatever. The screen is glass so if you've kept it in a case it'll likely be pristine physical condition. No worries about the battery, of course.

    Everyone wants one. It's a great value proposition.



    It sounds like Apple is going to sell a lot of iPads to your extended family in the next several months. It's pretty amazing to think about what the potential market is.
    Unless i tell them to hold off again!!!

    When they released the ipad i told them to hold off because it was rumored there would be a refresh with the ipods.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's genius. If the challenge will be meeting the initial demand for your product then why release it during the holiday season? The launch of the iPad included just the Apple and a couple of other retailers. They just caught up with demand about a month ago and now you can find the iPads in Targets, WalMarts, etc.

    If there's any season where people definitely aren't going to hold off their purchase for a new model, it's right now. I'm buying an iPad as a gift this month - fully aware that there will be a new model in the Spring. However, the person I'm giving it to doesn't care that much about the latest model, otherwise, they would have bought one already. They are late adopters.
    You forgot TJ Max!

    I agree with everything you are saying but that does not mean i have to like it.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I wonder how it will impact x-mass sales. I have already told my wife not to buy any for her family and to relay the message because there will be a refresh in the coming months.

    Its genius on apples part because they clear old inventory with x mass right before a launch, but it does not sit right in my gut.
    With Apple you know when they are launching and re-launching. They are completely upfront with consumers, unlike many other consumer electronic companies (ahem).

    You know, for a fact, your choices in front of you: Buy a late-in-life product, or wait xx number of months for the latest.

    You might not like those choices but its a far sight better than vague dates that make you feel like you're on Wheel of Fortune and hoping the ticker stops in a favorable spot...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So are you saying they should have delayed the current iPad six months or just delay the iPad 2 for six months? Either way it would be insanity given the competition out there for anyone to delay their new pad or for Apple to update the iPad every other year.
    Not saying anything about when they should release their products. Just stating that it does not sit well with me as a consumer. If I had my choice I would have a November release so that if I wanted one to buy one, for someone or myself, I would have the latest not something at the end of its cycle.

    None of it makes a difference though because I am still stuck waiting for Q1 of next year for the palm pad!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Not saying anything about when they should release their products. Just stating that it does not sit well with me as a consumer. If I had my choice I would have a November release so that if I wanted one to buy one, for someone or myself, I would have the latest not something at the end of its cycle.

    None of it makes a difference though because I am still stuck waiting for Q1 of next year for the palm pad!

    If it was HP/Palm doing it, would you care so energetically? Boycott it (or the new product?)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    If it was HP/Palm doing it, would you care so energetically? Boycott it (or the new product?)
    <--early adopter. Yes i would not by a HP or Palm product at the end of its current life cycle unless it was on a hell of a sale... which HP tends to do (dv8t for like 600 off last x mass). Already stated in this tread that i could not tell someone to buy a pre at this point.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    <--early adopter. Yes i would not by a HP or Palm product at the end of its current life cycle unless it was on a hell of a sale... which HP tends to do (dv8t for like 600 off last x mass). Already stated in this tread that i could not tell someone to buy a pre at this point.

    Then its not really an Apple issue. It's that companies have and sell nearing-end-of-life-product at all, in anticipation of a new one. Right?

    The best they can do - save dumping all old product in the landfill, or on Woot - when they know a new product is coming out, is to let consumers know what to expect. And Apple reliably does that.

    Your thread started as a rant against Apple, but to me appears misdirected and should be pointed to the many other companies that do a much poorer job of fairly closing out products on the consumers.
  15. #15  
    This is how Apple makes their money. They have been doing this for a while now.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Then its not really an Apple issue. It's that companies have and sell nearing-end-of-life-product at all, in anticipation of a new one. Right?

    The best they can do - save dumping all old product in the landfill, or on Woot - when they know a new product is coming out, is to let consumers know what to expect. And Apple reliably does that.

    Your thread started as a rant against Apple, but to me appears misdirected and should be pointed to the many other companies that do a much poorer job of fairly closing out products on the consumers.
    I did not start the thread I just participated. I do not believe that i have ranted yet either. Just stated my feelings on their release schedule. This is probably the most fair i have ever been talking about an apple product.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You know what wouldn't sit well with me as a consumer? Buying the first iteration of a tablet knowing that both the hardware and the software were put together on a tight schedule primarily because a competitors device is selling so well.

    I wouldn't like knowing that there might not be any 3rd party support for this device during its functional life span and that I will have to be thankful for whatever might show up from major software developers. I wouldn't like knowing that the most innovative uses for tablets will almost certainly not be available for MY tablet.

    I wouldn't like knowing that the company behind this device, rather than betting a large part of the fortunes of this company on it, is merely trying to get into the tablet space to be competitive in the future. I'm not sure I would want to fund the R&D with my purchase.

    I think that the downsides of purchasing the first webOS tablet are immense. This will be a significantly lower volume product than the Palm smartphones. The iPad sold 40 million units this year and will do about the same next year. HP will be lucky to sell 200K to 300K of the first iteration of the webOS tablet. I think this may be huge overestimation, though. HP hasn't disputed the 9K figure for HP Slate orders.
    Disputed the 9K? They were shocked by it! I think they only planned on making 5k according to Engadget. I would tend to agree with a lot of what you say, but such is the burden of backing underdogs and being an early adopter.

    The only part i would disagree with is the part about a company staking its future on a product being a good thing. Recent examples of the palm pre, ju ju, and such would lead one to believe that when you are strapped for cash and in a rush bad things happen.

    I also do not understand the comparison. I do not think that apple staked their future on the IPad. How are Apple and HP so different? Two big computer companies that moved into the mobile space and are now "vertically integrated?"(cant remember the exact terminology for having a propitiatory OS and creating the hardware).
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I also do not understand the comparison. I do not think that apple staked their future on the IPad. How are Apple and HP so different? Two big computer companies that moved into the mobile space and are now "vertically integrated?"(cant remember the exact terminology for having a propitiatory OS and creating the hardware).
    Apple's exists and is flourishing?
  19. #19  
    Plus, Apple controls both their desktop and mobile operating systems. This allows them to share technologies between platforms -- like the multitouch features that moved from iOS to OS X and, well, most of iOS' system architecture being taken from OS X.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post


    I think HP and Apple are very different. HP probably has hundreds of major product lines. Apple has less than a dozen. webOS could be a total bust in every way and HP wouldn't skip a beat. I doubt HP's new CEO could even give two minutes of information on webOS while Steve Jobs acts like he created iOS and the whole product line with his bare hands.
    I like the graph, but all that tells me is that the IPad has cut into Iphones and Ipods, but I do not believe that it at all reflects a company staking their future on a product. Which once again i feel is a bad thing.

    Now the zeal that Steve Jobs provides for his products is admirable, but its what he sells. He puts the shine on their products that produce the prices. Ill build my own thanks. (computer at least tablet not so much).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions