Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    OK, take the next dozen Apple commercials you run across to see how important the iPad is to Apple. Take a walk around an Apple store. Then take the next dozen HP commercials you see and go visit your neighborhood HP store. Or, watch the next webcast of Leo Apoteker launching webOS 2.0 and you will see how important webOS is to HP.
    Apple apparently needs to do a couple MBP commercials! Thats the most impressive part of that graph, and its true. We hire young sales girls out of college and i have seen a rising number of Mac books that i have had to set up.

And I would argue that if you look at the recent purchases by HP that webOS is very important to them and thier future.
    Last edited by Titan078; 11/19/2010 at 02:58 PM.
    Buying an iPad 2. It's time for iPad 2. Need thinner and with camera (Facetime).
    Just bought my mother in law an iPad to replace her Dell computer. I know a new one will be coming out next year, but I don't care. When it comes to tech, you can always wait for next years model. In the meantime, she will be enjoying her new iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Buying an iPad 2. It's time for iPad 2. Need thinner and with camera (Facetime).
    will it get a REAL USB port ??

the rumour is that Steve may relent and deign to only allow a mini-usb -- and weirdly the mini usb would be instead of the docking adapter, rather than in addition to it.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    None of it makes a difference though because I am still stuck waiting for Q1 of next year for the palm pad!
    When it comes right down to it, isn't this the only part of your posts that matters? You don't give a dash about the iPad; you are just bothered by its success. Isn't it true that what really cheeses you off is that the world is abuzz about the next iPad, and not about the upcoming pPad, the existing slate, or the Pre in any of its incarnations? Isn't it true, Mr. Titan, (if that's your real name), that you drank a whole carton of Apple flavored hater-aid? ISN'T IT TRUE...

What? I am not badgering the witness! I, um... Nevermind. I rest my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    When it comes right down to it, isn't this the only part of your posts that matters? You don't give a dash about the iPad; you are just bothered by its success. Isn't it true that what really cheeses you off is that the world is abuzz about the next iPad, and not about the upcoming pPad, the existing slate, or the Pre in any of its incarnations? Isn't it true, Mr. Titan, (if that's your real name), that you drank a whole carton of Apple flavored hater-aid? ISN'T IT TRUE...

I own stock in H8Terade please spell it right. I mentioned it earlier "my own bias". I would actually say that i am excited about it. We have sales reps that go out into the field and i was considering getting them Laptop convertibles, but the prices were not realistic for their value. Thanks to the interest that the IPad has generated the tablet market is maturing and the proper solution will be in the correct price range for me. Odds are it wont be an IPad, but the IPad is getting me closer to things that i desire.
    I wonder how it will impact x-mass sales. I have already told my wife not to buy any for her family and to relay the message because there will be a refresh in the coming months.

Its genius on apples part because they clear old inventory with x mass right before a launch, but it does not sit right in my gut.
    It'd only be a bad thing if there was no resale value in Apple products.
    I wonder how it will impact x-mass sales. I have already told my wife not to buy any for her family and to relay the message because there will be a refresh in the coming months.
    Be honest, you are not trying to spare them from buyers remorse. We are still talking just short of half a year before new ones are expected. You just don't want anyone to buy an iPad, ever! You want them to wait long enough for the Palm KIRF so you can convince them to buy that.

Tell me, will you be just as concerned about them buying a first gen product from a company that has proven twice in recent months (Zeen, Slate) that they still can't make a compelling product in this space to save their souls? Will you warn them to wait for the next gen device? Or, will you encourage them to hold off on the pPad purchase to see what Apple will be rolling out?

On second thought, don't bother answering. I withdraw the questions. Next witness.
    Be honest, you are not trying to spare them from buyers remorse. We are still talking just short of half a year before new ones are expected. You just don't want anyone to buy an iPad, ever! You want them to wait long enough for the Palm KIRF so you can convince them to buy that.

Tell me, will you be just as concerned about them buying a first gen product from a company that has proven twice in recent months (Zeen, Slate) that they still can't make a compelling product in this space to save their souls? Will you warn them to wait for the next gen device? Or, will you encourage them to hold off on the pPad purchase to see what Apple will be rolling out?

On second thought, don't bother answering. I withdraw the questions. Next witness.
    You Apple fun boys keep mentioning the slate as a failure, but it out sold projections and is on back order. 5k May not be a lot, but i would not say it was a failure. The only real failure is that it they underestimated the enterprise demand and now its on backorder.
    You Apple fun boys keep mentioning the slate as a failure, but it out sold projections and is on back order. 5k May not be a lot, but i would not say it was a failure. The only real failure is that it they underestimated the enterprise demand and now its on backorder.
    It takes stones the size of Everest to suggest that the Slate was anything other than a failure.
  11.    #31  
    I'm not sure how it qualifies as a failure.. Someone explain or expand on the thought please.
    honestly reread what you wrote twice to be sure you weren't joking
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I'm not sure how it qualifies as a failure.. Someone explain or expand on the thought please.
    Expectations are arbitrary and meaningless. Reaching them or missing them adds nothing to the success or failure of a product. For HP to expect 5,000 units to sell, and have a total of 9,000 orders, is like Apple saying they only expected 5,000 iPhones or iPads to sell, then claiming extraordinary demand if they sell 20,000. Even 100,000 for Apple, would still be a failure.

Claiming to have only anticipated 5,000 units for a company like HP, is almost the same as 0. Doing a victory dance over the fact that less than 10,000 humans on the planet even want your product in this environment, is just plain embarrassing.

This matters, because HP is the company that is producing the pPad. They may be producing a product that will only appeal to 20,000 or so. I'm sure they would jump with joy over such a number. You had better hope they have a more ambitious definition of success than they have for the Slate.
    Its sold more than they made...... Just because you do not want it does not make it a failure. Their target audience wanted more than they produced..... How does that equal a failure?

Quote form the comments at engadget

"Why?

Let's see, in my work day the iPad would fulfill exactly ZERO of my needs. We can't hook it up to my corporate Exchange, I can't edit, create, and share presentations, spreadsheets and position papers with others in the company. That doesn't include needing the ability to run SQL Server, write Java, or connect to any of our enterprise development tools.

The iPad is a great device for those that want to browse the web and do casual gaming/entertainment. If that's what you do then take a look at the iPad. However, this device is for people who actually need to do work. And in that regard, an iPad is woefully inadequate."

HP Slate 500 sees 'extraordinary demand,' experiences six-week shipping delay (update) -- Engadget

Once again because you do not want it does not mean that its a failure.
    Right... If they made one but sold two, by your definition, a success. By HP's definition, extraordinary demand. Good luck with that pPad.
    Expectations are arbitrary and meaningless. Reaching them or missing them adds nothing to the success or failure of a product. For HP to expect 5,000 units to sell, and have a total of 9,000 orders, is like Apple saying they only expected 5,000 iPhones or iPads to sell, then claiming extraordinary demand if they sell 20,000. Even 100,000 for Apple, would still be a failure.

Claiming to have only anticipated 5,000 units for a company like HP, is almost the same as 0. Doing a victory dance over the fact that less than 10,000 humans on the planet even want your product in this environment, is just plain embarrassing.

This matters, because HP is the company that is producing the pPad. They may be producing a product that will only appeal to 20,000 or so. I'm sure they would jump with joy over such a number. You had better hope they have a more ambitious definition of success than they have for the Slate.

When did HP do a victory dance? Most likely they were mad because they had to re-hire workers AND sell the product for $100 less. If you think they were doing a victory dance because of that one line of text, all I have to say is seriously? That extraordinary demand phrase is probably for marketing. If someone sees that a product is really hot and on backorder for 6 weeks, they might be a lot more interested than if it said, "We only made 5,000 and couldn't get one to all our 9,000 buyers. Expect to see some more in 6 weeks"
    Right... If they made one but sold two, by your definition, a success. By HP's definition, extraordinary demand. Good luck with that pPad.
    Thanks!

I just had to login to congratulate you on an awesome response to his dribble!

Well done!
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    More information on this in this thread. The short answer is: HP has so little confidence/interest in their slate device they only made 5,000 of them, sold them at what was probably a significant loss, then felt compelled to build 4,000 more of them and an additional loss. Five thousand of the devices probably isn't enough to equip all of HP's upper level managers with one, let alone a global market. Consequently, the device, it's manufacturing plan, and the worldwide demand for it are nothing short of laughable.

It makes the Palm Foleo look like an ingenius concept.
    just used an ipad today, like the size and web browsing. Presentation is good too. Opposite experience with android. Basically thesame thing except on bigger screen. Ipads are atleast optomized visually. With the rigt productive software the next model may be very tempting, more so then I originally thought. This being said I hope the webos expereince is equally if not better, optomized for a tablet and not just the same exact os but on a tablet. Eac app on the ipad has alittle more functionality navigation is nicer ect. Photos app is way better. Overall nice expereince. That I hope a palmpad has. I guess this is out of place lol.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast