1.    #1  
    OK, I had always thought Sprint service folks weren't very bright, and it's possible I'm just plain wrong, but:
    I am finally thinking about giving up the ghost on the Pre. One problem is that on the weekends I'm in a Verizon area, my Sprint phone roams at 1X, and although My Tether works, it's about as fast as a dial-up. Also I have calls go directly to voicemail, can't send texts....none of which happens in a Sprint area. The problem is that I need Exchange security, but the next problem is I want control of that security. My server requires a PIN, but I have been using the "Bypass PIN" patch very successfully. As best I can tell, those Android phones that work with Exchange do not offer any way to bypass the PIN lock. The VErizon rep also told me that a 3G hotspot with a Verizon Android phone didn't work anywhere you had a 3G signal, but it only worked in areas where there were special Verizon towers....like airports and hotels. I sincerely doubt this; I figure if it will work as a hotspot, it will work anywhere there's a normal Verizon signal. Correct? As I also understand it, there is no charge for using the Pre Plus (and hopefully the Pre 2) for this, but all other phones have an additional monthly charge. Is that also correct? Thanks...I've been on Sprint for a long long time and know nothing about Verizon....except they screwed me up by taking over Alltel, which allowed me to roam in 3G; the day they took over the tower, I was down to 1g.
    I have a Palm Pre Plus with mobile hotspot. It works anywhere I have a 3G signal as far as I can tell. I love this feature. I'm also unsure I would pay the $20/month extra to have this service - with the Pre Plus it was free which was a sweet benefit.
    Yeah, 3G hotspot works anywhere Verizon has 3G. Not tower specific. If you are thinking about going to mobile hotspot route on Verizon, you may want to wait for LTE hotspot devices. That way you have 3g and potentially 4g when you hit a VZW tower.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    The problem is that I need Exchange security, but the next problem is I want control of that security. My server requires a PIN, but I have been using the "Bypass PIN" patch very successfully. As best I can tell, those Android phones that work with Exchange do not offer any way to bypass the PIN lock.
    When I had an exchange account on my last gig, I used LockPicker on my Evo to "Bypass PIN".
    @davidra

the rep you talked to should find a different line of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @davidra

the rep you talked to should find a different line of work.
    Like checkers.... or hopscotch....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Yeah, 3G hotspot works anywhere Verizon has 3G. Not tower specific. If you are thinking about going to mobile hotspot route on Verizon, you may want to wait for LTE hotspot devices. That way you have 3g and potentially 4g when you hit a VZW tower.
    This area is very rural...and I can anticipate it getting 4G sometime after the mars colony does. But it does have a good 3G Verizon signal. There is no DSL, and the cable company is a small company that doesn't offer HD and charges out the wazoo for internet...so I really need the hotspot, but not if I need to pay an extra $20 a month. It would be nice if the Android phones would allow free tethering, and hopefully at least continue free tethering for the Pre2. A new WebOS phone would be nice too, but so would world peace.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    When I had an exchange account on my last gig, I used LockPicker on my Evo to "Bypass PIN".
    Apparently it doesn't work on 2.2 (Froyo). I assume they will fix that. Thanks.
    It would be nice if the Android phones would allow free tethering...
    If you are the rooting type, it can be had. Other options can be had from the Android Market. Not free since you have to buy the app, but there is no recurring charge after that.
    Apparently it doesn't work on 2.2 (Froyo). I assume they will fix that. Thanks.
    Ah.. That sucks.
    This area is very rural...and I can anticipate it getting 4G sometime after the mars colony does. But it does have a good 3G Verizon signal. There is no DSL, and the cable company is a small company that doesn't offer HD and charges out the wazoo for internet...so I really need the hotspot, but not if I need to pay an extra $20 a month. It would be nice if the Android phones would allow free tethering, and hopefully at least continue free tethering for the Pre2. A new WebOS phone would be nice too, but so would world peace.
    you would pay more than $20 for DSL, so you should at least TRY the $20 service. you can always cancel it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    If you are the rooting type, it can be had. Other options can be had from the Android Market. Not free since you have to buy the app, but there is no recurring charge after that.
    Interestingly enough, the guy knew about PDANet (which I used for years on a Treo)...but didn't know about how the hotspot works.