Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    ROFL, it's like this stuff just writes itself.
    You totally took that quote out of context. haha. I wasn't really asking
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  2.    #22  
    All responses are taking in consideration. I guess most users will never be satisfied... no matter what phone they have.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    You might be an outdated device if...
    ...you have to be overclocked x2 just to (barely) keep up with current, baseline technology.

...your SDK is missing critical APIs.

...you rely on a pale-skinned woman and 5,000 dancing monks to carry your product's message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    You totally took that quote out of context. haha. I wasn't really asking
    I know, but you've got to admit it is funny in that context. I think his post was updated so I wound up seeing your comment before his "if you have to ask" line and it made me chuckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    All responses are taking in consideration. I guess most users will never be satisfied... no matter what phone they have.
    Most users will be satisfied once Palm gives us a reason to be.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Actually, I think most users are satisfied. It is us geeks that tend to focus on the "what else is out there" points.
    what's wrong with my Palm Telegraph? It get's my messages sent AND it has electric current capable of starting fires!!! <stands and stares transfixed at the burning pile of rubble he used to call a home>
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    what's wrong with my Palm Telegraph? It get's my messages sent AND it has electric current capable of starting fires!!! <stands and stares transfixed at the burning pile of rubble he used to call a home>
    Nothing's wrong with your Palm Telegraph. But it is considered outdated because it can't run the Pony Express app. Maybe there is an emulator that provides backwards compatibility?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ...you have to be overclocked x2 just to (barely) keep up with current, baseline technology.

...your SDK is missing critical APIs.

...you rely on a pale-skinned woman and 5,000 dancing monks to carry your product's message.
    ...you are still waiting.
    on a somewhat more serious note:

My wife thinks a phone should last 5 years.

I think it's outdated when you can no longer get replacement parts from the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    on a somewhat more serious note:

My wife thinks a phone should last 5 years.

I think it's outdated when you can no longer get replacement parts from the manufacturer.
    I'd say your wife represents the norm. Maybe not quite 5 years but it should last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And marriages should last until death do us part.
    LOL. Touché. Let me rephrase that by saying "His wife represents the normal [belief] in terms of product life." Better?

Really, it's mostly us phone heads that tend to worry about if our device meets "today's" standards. Most users buy a phone and forget about it until the phone starts acting up.
    I don't know if the word outdated is appropriate for these smartphones nowadays, considering what most are capable of. Do you think a year old phone is considered outdated...if yes, why?
    Outdated is subjective.

Does the phone still do what you need it to do? If no then it's outdated If yes then no it's not.

My wife who is not a power user of her Pre is extremely happy with it. She does not consider it outdated
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I don't know if the word outdated is appropriate for these smartphones nowadays, considering what most are capable of. Do you think a year old phone is considered outdated...if yes, why?
    Depends a lot on the person. Some folks simply must have the latest/greatest. Their phones are "outdated" the second a better phone is available . For me, the Pre is still working just fine (with overclocking). My biggest wish is a larger screen, but that's more because what I want in phone has changed than the phone has become outdated (lots of folks still like the smaller form factor).

I think the fact that phone companies tie you to a 2 year contract based on an new phone is significant, and about the right time frame for a phone to really become "outdated" (not useless, but pretty dated).
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    A phone is outdated when it is no longer serving your needs. If you want the latest and greatest, then your phone will be outdated within 6-9 months of purchasing it. If you are fine with using a phone that may not have the latest features but serves all your needs then it could easily be 24 months after purchasing before the phone is "out of date".

Whether its an iPhone, Android, Palm, W7 or BB, remember that the phone is yours and yours alone. Its outdated when you say it is, that is until the manufacturer says "no more, we will not be supporting this device any longer".
    Is a product outdated?

It's like asking if Lottery Tickets are a bad investment. For a lot of people, lottery tickets are their only "investment" each week.

The Pre still does exactly the same things it did at CES in January of 2009. If the Pre still meets your needs, then it is not outdated for you.

The new LG Optimus S is just as low-def so was it born outdated?

No. Not for most people. Look at the basic specs:
    ✔ Decent auto-focus Camera? - Check
    ✔ Upload photos to Facebook? - Check
    ✔ Text in the car by saying it instead of typing? - Check
    ✔ Email, Phone, Calendar, Internet? - Check, Check, Check, Check
    ✔ microSD Memory card? - Check
    ✔ 100,000 apps - Check
    ✔ GPS: Say "Navigate to Wal-Mart" and it does it? - Check
    Barcode Scanner to see if a price is too high? - Check
    Shazam to tell you what that song is? - Check
    ✔ YoutTube to play videos for free? Music Player? - Check, Check
    Visual Voicemail? - Check
    Voice Actions to say "Listen to Taylor Swift" and it does it? - Check
    Bump your number to someone new? - Check

What else would most people want?

There is a huge group of people who say, "I'm not paying for a phone!"

Show them how they are really going to pay $2,000 over their contract anyway and they can only give you a blank look and say, "I'm not paying for a phone!"

Say, "How about the LG Optimus S for a buck?" and you just made the sale.

Free beats outdated every time.

"Free" smartphones will sell like lottery tickets.
    My brain is outdated. I've had it for a few decades and it is heavily used.
    ... and my **** has a crack, which indicates poor build quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ... and my **** has a crack, which indicates poor build quality.
    ROFL
    Quote Originally Posted by blacou59 View Post
    Just like a computer, after announcement, by the time you're able to buy it and use it......it's outdated. And as soon as you activate it, it looses resale value. Welcome to the world of high priced products!
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Smartphones are like computers – they are outdated the second time you turn them on.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    When you go to the store you bought your phone at and they don't carry it anymore because it's been EOL'd then your phone is outdated.

When software developers no longer support the device you are using then it is outdated.

When hardware company executives start referring to your phone in the past tense then it is oudated.

If every day consumers are walking around with a phone which has the same name as yours but have "Plus" or "2" added, then yours is outdated.

If you can find accessories for a phone for more than an 80% discount off full retail then it's outdated.

If you're already eligible for an upgrade then your phone is outdated.

If you have to ask, it's outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The Pre/Plus is outdated. Why? Because the Pre2 exists.

Pre2: Same phone, better specs, hardware, and software.
    All of the above.
    Unfortunately hardware and spec wise, the Pre and Pre2 were outdated before they reached the public for sales. The opinions of "it does what I want" or "my cousin/brother/sister/mother/husband/wife is satisfied so it's not outdated for them" is reality of your/their own making and does not reflect the true reality of the device.

Only the future will tell if this will remedied.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast