1.    #1  
    Personally I do not think that WebOS would scale to Netbooks well, and also HP needs a television based OS if they want to truly create an all encompassing framework for the consumer side of their products.

I think it would be cool if HP acquired Meego and Boxee as well as WebOS.

All three platforms could be dissected and built upon to create varying software front ends depending on the need, but also borrow from each others strengths.

WebOS with Meego parts would dominate Smartphones, Gaming Devices, Mp3 Players, Tablets and Printers (I guess) "Boxee Mobile" with Beats and Nutsie would come on the Smartphones and Tablets, allowing you to stream television shows straight off Hulu and other affiliates, or stream your music from your computer.

Meego would work on the netbook/instant on PC (dual boot with windows) and portable DVD player side of things. Boxee (but in a more itunes-like fashion) would also come on the devices preloaded as the media player. Touchscreen netbooks would have the WebOS cards system, but built ontop of the Meego Netbook OS.

Boxee would be the OS of choice for HP bluray players, HP TV media centers (like the Boxee Box already is) and preloaded right on HP HDTV's. You could use your Palm Smartphone as the Remote, and WebOS apps could be used right in Boxee on your TV as well (without the cards system, wouldnt make sense on a TV)

All the systems would share data and information in the cloud. Your WebOS notifications for Calendar events would unobtrusively show up on your TV while watching something with Boxee, and watching content on Boxee would recommend things later on your Palm Smartphone when you go to stream a video.

I just think the combination of these platforms would be so awesome if linked together in the cloud seamlessly.

Plus they are all based on Linux and Open standards...

One can always dream...
    Yes, HP should purchase even more technologies to somehow integrate them into their current mishmash of technologies ... somehow. Nothing like a complex and varied ecosystem to fool the naysayers.
    I’m OK with the “take over the world” part but I’m not sure about Meego or Boxee.

So far we haven’t seen any evidence that HP intends to integrate the technology they have purchased. Apparently they are buying technology to prevent their competitors from using it.

I wouldn’t like to see Meego and Boxee disappear into the technical black hole that is HP.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 11/17/2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Personally I do not think that WebOS would scale to Netbooks well
    I've often wondered what that hype of a webOS netbook was all about. If people are complaining about the lack of apps on a webOS phone, what exactly are people going to use on a netbook? If it does come out, I hope it can dual boot to...well...anything.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I've often wondered what that hype of a webOS netbook was all about. If people are complaining about the lack of apps on a webOS phone, what exactly are people going to use on a netbook? If it does come out, I hope it can dual boot to...well...anything.
    I only could see it as a "mini touchscreen netbook" which could be cool.

Like something where it has a 5 inch display, and the keyboard can fold back 180 degrees out of the way so it acts like a normal tablet, but then stop at 70 degrees for a normal laptop like use, and then close to 0 degrees to protect the screen.

WebOS just doesnt work without a touchscreen. Even with a cursor, how the hell do you swipe cards back and forth.
    I can see it now, a Boxee enabled printer for printing TV schedules directly from the Boxee printer.

Please, make it stop!
    i don't know how much business sense it makes. I get where you're coming from but i'm not sure how many customers it would add. Plus are those companies profitable now.

Personally, i think if they could afford it it would be a better move to buy HTC and Redbox (or netflix if it's possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Personally I do not think that WebOS would scale to Netbooks well, and also HP needs a television based OS if they want to truly create an all encompassing framework for the consumer side of their products.
    I think WebOS would work well on a netbook. You would need an all touch keyboard, of course, and you can have a touch gesture area to. But I don't think buying Meego would be good. But we do have a guy from Meego, I am sure he is giving Palm ideas on how to improve WebOS.