Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
  2. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #2  
    I actually found the other numbers in the link more impressive. 75% using the thing to read books is way more than I figured it would get given just about every reviewers complaints (just or not) about the iPad's weight, as it relates to holding it for reading, and the reflective screen relative to e-ink.

    I think 30% using it as a primary computer is about right, given that most people don't do much on a standard PC/Mac other than web browsing and email.

    As the market continues to accept tablets I would expect this figure to increase. I must admit, although I thought the iPad would be relatively successful, I didn't think it would be as successful as it clearly is. One thing I'm sure off is that given the market's reaction and the host of Android, Blackberry and webOS tablets known and rumored to be coming, I think the battle of the tablets vs the netbooks will be a lot shorter than most would have thought 6 months ago.
  3. #3  
    I'm surprised it's not higher. Even though iPad owners as a whole are probably a little bit more tech savy than the average netbook/laptop/desktop owner. I would think the majority of computer users don't use their devices for more than email. social sites, and web browsing.
  4. Barebuns's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #4  
    For personal use, I believe my Pre beats out my desktop as my primary computer - e-mail, Facebook, web surfing, and gaming. Once I can get a mint.com app to complement my Quicken the gap will grow even larger.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    I'm surprised it's not higher. Even though iPad owners as a whole are probably a little bit more tech savy than the average netbook/laptop/desktop owner. I would think the majority of computer users don't use their devices for more than email. social sites, and web browsing.
    Exactly. It was brilliant of Apple to realize that so many people did little more than this and to tailor a product for them.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Not to be rude but I call BS on the "study". ipad REQUIRES iTUNES on another PC to do even the simplest tasks. It can't be the primary device. My netbook has mor functionality and gives me less grief than my more than twice as expensive iPAD. If email is the only thing you do on your PC then a Palm PIXI can be your PRIMARY PC (in fact Pixi actually has more features than the ipad).
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Not to be rude but I call BS on the "study". ipad REQUIRES iTUNES on another PC to do even the simplest tasks. It can't be the primary device. My netbook has mor functionality and gives me less grief than my more than twice as expensive iPAD...

    netbooks -- especially the new generation able to handle 1080 HD -- are night and day more useful and powerful than that feminine hygiene product.

    about the only value pads have is lightness, instant on, and all day power
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    Not to be rude but I call BS on the "study". ipad REQUIRES iTUNES on another PC to do even the simplest tasks. It can't be the primary device. My netbook has mor functionality and gives me less grief than my more than twice as expensive iPAD. If email is the only thing you do on your PC then a Palm PIXI can be your PRIMARY PC (in fact Pixi actually has more features than the ipad).
    You only need iTunes to "activate" the iPad and you can generally have that done when you buy it at an Apple store or Best Buy thus alleviating the need to ever hook it up to iTunes (unless of course you want to upgrade iOS when updates are released).

    In a sense, yes it is still reliable on an actual computer but not in the sense to make it a capable device.
  9. #9  
    my father in law uses his ipad the "majority of the time" to surf the net and watch mlb online. to do any real work, he pulls out his laptop.

    ipad is just a media/web device which thats all a lot of people do.

    i sat next to a guy taking meeting notes today on his ipad....sorry but when i go to type, pecking with a single finger is not what I had in mind. Thats why I love my hp tm2....it can do both when I want it to
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  10.    #10  
    It looks like I'm going to have to grab a chunk of reality and slap some of you in the face with it.

    It doesn't matter how well reasoned your arguments may be for why the iPad is not a stand-alone computer, and why its just an expensive toy. The iPad is a runaway success, and gaining steam. Your opinion is meaningless in the face of present reality.

    The discussion is not about whether an iPad can be used as a primary computer. It already IS being used as a primary computer by millions of people: almost a third of iPad owners are doing just that. If you can't see how its done, that is just your lack of imagination. Perhaps the more interesting question is why some of you find it so hard to accept.

    Take a closer look at those survey results and get a better idea of how average people are using this thing. There is no excuse for any iPad competitor to fail, as they have the benefit of Apple's extensive research. They see the finished product, and they have access to an immense amount of data about how it is being used and what people love about it. I can just imagine the variety of creative ways HP is going to screw up the pPad despite what is known about making pads for average people.
  11. #11  
    . So people need to learn that checking email on a device does not make it their primary COMPUTER. Otherwise the PIXI is a COMPUTER too.

    iPAD is a success there is no denying it. However there is no denying that it is very very limited in functionality. If it does what someone wants it to do and they are happy with it, great but that doesn't change the fact that any android/maemo/webOS phone has more functionality than the iPAD.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 11/16/2010 at 04:25 PM.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You only need iTunes to "activate" the iPad and you can generally have that done when you buy it at an Apple store or Best Buy thus alleviating the need to ever hook it up to iTunes (unless of course you want to upgrade iOS when updates are released).

    In a sense, yes it is still reliable on an actual computer but not in the sense to make it a capable device.
    If you want to move files to and from the ipad you are required to use itunes as well. If you want to do any backups you are required to use itunes as well. I find my iPad is tethered to my PC while my phone is not, I find it very surprising don't you ? .
  13. #13  
    My phone has been my primary device for emails and things like twitter/facebook these days.

    Not surprised people can get by with just an iPad. Ultimately i couldn't because it doesn't offer enough functionality for my uses.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    . So people need to learn that checking email on a device does not make their primary COMPUTER. Otherwise the PIXI is a COMPUTER too.

    iPAD is a success there is no denying it. However there is no denying that it is very very limited in functionality. If it does what someone wants it to do and they are happy with it, great but that doesn't change the fact that any android/maemo/webOS phone has more functionality than the iPAD.
    I have no problem calling a modern-day smartphone a pocket computer. It is. As primary computers, they are not very good due to the limited formfactor, but make great companion devices.

    The iPad's formfactor is largely what makes it possible to use as a primary computer. It has the apps people want, and the power to run them. it has a touch-typable keyboard, and it has persistent internet connectivity. That is something that most laptops don't have.

    The end user is not the one who has to adjust their understanding of what a computer is; you are.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Fortunately, that is not what happened. And your point is...

    Take your off-topic rant some place else.
    My point was to the people saying how much of a success the ipad is. And ANYTHING Apple comes out with, people will buy. My comment was not off topic. It was just stating a fact in a smart a** remark. Sorry you didn't get it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    My point was to the people saying how much of a success the ipad is. And ANYTHING Apple comes out with, people will buy. My comment was not off topic. It was just stating a fact in a smart a** remark. Sorry you didn't get it.
    Tell that to the Apple TV. And the original MacBook Air.

    Why is it so difficult to accept that the iPad is a great product that people enjoy using?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Tell that to the Apple TV. And the original MacBook Air.

    Why is it so difficult to accept that the iPad is a great product that people enjoy using?
    A couple quotes I found:

    "Within the first week of presales in January 2007, Apple TV was the top selling item at the Apple Store. Orders exceeded 100,000 units by the end of January and Apple began ramping-up to sell over a million units before the 2007 holiday season." - wikipedia

    "One sign in favor of strong demand, however, is that the Apple store's "Top Sellers" list puts the MacBook Air at No. 1, ahead of the MacBook, iMac, Leopard, MacBook Pro and AppleCare." - 2008 Article

    I think they did pretty well. Im not putting their products down. Just saying, people will buy whatever they make.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I think they did pretty well. Im not putting their products down. Just saying, people will buy whatever they make.
    And somehow you think that is the point of this thread? GET OUT!
  19. #19  
    I love the iPad, Smartphone user for 10 years now, have PC and Mac's for different reasons... IT Pro, I use the iPad for email, my task manager, reading the news..
    It's battery life is incredible, my job is not all at my desk but on the go and it is a great way to keep up. No booting, it just is ready. I don't don't need my PC to transfer files, I rarely connect. I use Toodledo with is incredible interface on the iPad. Outlook and Gmail are even easier to handle on an ipad than a regular PC.

    Being an IT professional with Macs and PC both, I don't buy things just cuz it says Apple, I buy them because they do many things better than their competitors, that being said, I am not an iPhone fan, but am considering a Verizon iP because of facetime and interconnectivity with iPad.

    also I use it for google docs, BackPackit, PDF reader and highlighter, netflix on planes.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I have no problem calling a modern-day smartphone a pocket computer. It is. As primary computers, they are not very good due to the limited formfactor, but make great companion devices.

    The iPad's formfactor is largely what makes it possible to use as a primary computer. It has the apps people want, and the power to run them. it has a touch-typable keyboard, and it has persistent internet connectivity. That is something that most laptops don't have.

    The end user is not the one who has to adjust their understanding of what a computer is; you are.
    Not really. The industry has tried various times to market "internet appliances" to the public. This one is the first to succeed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions