1.    #1  
    So, Im reading the news on the new Andriod dual core phones and I started thinking:

What is the most important aspect of your smart phone? How would you prioritize the following:

Brand
    OS/UI
    Apps
    Hardware

Here is my thoughts:

On Andriod - I love the hardware. I love the apps. I hate the OS. Ive owned a Samsung Moment and ive played with an Evo, and I just dont like Andriods UI. I assume there is some way to dramatically change the UI - similiar to WinMo, but I am not sure.

Ive used Iphones. Its a similiar story, plus I dislike the brand (Apple and to a lesser extent, ATT).

Ive got 2 palm pres. I love the UI, and nothing else.

I will most likely buy a WP7 on Sprint in January. I love the Hardware (i am assuming build quality on HTC Pro 7 will be the same as HTC Surround), I love the OS/UI, and I have a lot of hope for the Apps. Theyve already got some huge titles Id love (netflix).

Based on that, Id say my order is:
    OS/User Interface
    Hardware
    Brand
    Apps
    If you're just talking about those 4 things:

OS/UI - obviously have to have an OS you like to use.. or else.. why use it?
    Hardware - We don't want another Sprint Pre on our hands do we?
    Brand - Depends on what brands you think are the best/like.
    Apps - Who doesn't want a lot of apps to choose from?

If you add in carrier, that tops my list.
    Sprint Love
    For me, it's:

OS/UI
    Hardware
    Apps
    Brand

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    The words i would use are functionality and dependability.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Its the OS/UI first for me, but I may end up having to go hardware/apps if we don't see something spectacular from HP early next year. Not just hardware related either - HP needs a huge app related jolt too - great hardware and webOS won't be enough for me unless we see some common "on every other OS" apps being developed.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    My rating would be the same as @Garret92C but with my Carrier choice:
    OS/UI
    Hardware
    Carrier
    Apps
    Brand

After having been on Sprint, Verizon, & Cingular (obviously now AT&T) -service is a definitely a priority...however, since I & a friend both switched to Sprint from VZW for the Pre, we have loved the Pre. Sprint saves us bundles of money -not only are the plans cheaper, but we have MUCH better corporate discounts on Sprint! However, since the Pre+'s came to VZW and now the Pre2 is coming, neither of us feel the need to leave our nice plans (unlimited calling to ANY network!!), then I think I can aptly say that network comes after OS/UI & hardware -we will simply hold out on our upgrades until HP Palm releases the BETTER devices!

We're patient enough & can work with our Pre's still...even if they're outdated from current tech they still do the job for us!
    brand doesn't matter by itself. The other three built a reputation for the brand, which is your general consesus of their products.

along with os goes api's, which go a long way to open the platform up to more cool apps for games and utility.

to have those api's, you have to have those specific hardware. Front facing cam for that api, gyroscope for that api, mic, etc. Also, you want a sturdy build, or else your carrier will have to replace the phones a bunch, which'll p*ss them off, and there goes sprint.

so just in the order of what you need in order to have the next thing (and ultimately the complete package) its

hardware
    os/ui
    apps
    brand
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 11/16/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    To sell to the masses:

Hardware. This is most important aspect. How it looks matters most.
    Brand. People are easily manipulated.
    OS. Many are unaware that their smartphone has an OS.
    Apps. Just need the usual popular ones.

For what i use, the iphone wins. Best hardware (screen, kb, quality), best brand (keeps value), best OS (with jailbreak, best core apps), and by far the best third party apps (which can be shared or used on ipad).
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    To sell to the masses:

Hardware. This is most important aspect. How it looks matters most.
    Brand. People are easily manipulated.
    OS. Many are unaware that their smartphone has an OS.
    Apps. Just need the usual popular ones.

For what i use, the iphone wins. Best hardware (screen, kb, quality), best brand (keeps value), best OS (with jailbreak, best core apps), and by far the best third party apps (which can be shared or used on ipad).
    Have to admit - the Apple hardware is sweeeeet looking.

Serious question here, not knocking anything, how do iPhone apps look on an iPad, graphics wise?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    brand doesn't matter by itself.
    Not sure if your talking about yourself or the general masses, but I think brand plays a huge factor for most. Thats why we have the so called "apple/palm/microsoft/google **fbs**" who proclaim their company of choice is the best and can do no wrong.

AKA blind homerism.

EDIT: apparently f*a*n*b*o*y*s is a filtered word?
    I have to go with function over form. Form is important but people want their phone to easily accomplish different customizable tasks.

1. OS/UI (the OS needs to be user friendly and intuitive)
    2. Apps (apps really tie to the OS and become of less importance if the OS has enuf native functionality out of the box - i.e. voice dial should be an out of the box feature)
    3. Hardware (hardware is the form factor that compliments the user experience, the components that fully power the OS, and make a device practical for it's intended use and environment.)
    4. Brand - is the "perception of quality" not necessarilly a guarantee of quality (note: nearly any electronics company who has produce a FAIL) and has become a veil that is peirced by more and more consumers in todays information age and gadget reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    Not sure if your talking about yourself or the general masses, but I think brand plays a huge factor for most. Thats why we have the so called "apple/palm/microsoft/google **fbs**" who proclaim their company of choice is the best and can do no wrong.

AKA blind homerism.

EDIT: apparently f*a*n*b*o*y*s is a filtered word?
    lol, watch your language

but the brand wouldn't have come to mean anything without the other stuff is what I'm saying.
    smaller=more portable
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    op. You love netflix, why in the world would you want a 3.6 inch screen.
    Ive got a 3.1 inch right now and its OK for videos. I figured a 3.6 screen would be quiet a jump.

Id prefer something bigger, but right now its sprints only option...
    apps first and foremost. then tight integration with existing products and/or services.
    For me,
    Carrier first and foremost
    Apps I need my device to "do stuff"
    OS/UI I need an OS that allows the apps I need to "do stuff"
    Hardware need it not to breakdown and to support the OS and apps I need to "do sutff" (for a long time)
    Brand sorta. I don't rate this much at all (but I do have brand disloyalty, i.e. I stay away from the brands with a bad rep)
    function: it's gotta have the core functions that i want. some may be software like an adequate music player, some may be hardware like i want an HD video recorder.

Apps (there are lots of things i want to do and most are more important then making phone calls. and w/o apps my phone is basically just a text messaging device/occasional email checking device)

UI not really important other then it needs to look nice enough and work well enough. they all have strengths and weaknesses.
    Brand: only to the extent that i can judge how reliable their products are.

OS honestly i couldn't care less if it does what i want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Serious question here, not knocking anything, how do iPhone apps look on an iPad, graphics wise?
    the ones i've seen in a store look exceptional. i think to get the best out of an app it has to be rewritten to account for the different scale of the device. But i think some are just resized and they may not looke that great. But i'm particularly impressed by the graphics and detail in some of the apps. Like lots of shading and shadows and gloss. I was particularly impressed by the ebook app that let's you read stuff. Specifically when you turn the page it almost perfectly curls the page along with your finger like a real page. And when the corner turns the page number and text appear to be backwards as if the paper is a bit see thru. it's a very cool effect. hard to explain but it can kinda be seen in this image from the iphone app. And even if you move your finger really slow the page turns really slow. i'm not getting an ipad and i haven't experienced too many apps but that kinda impressed me.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/22/2010 at 06:03 AM.
    OS
    hardware
    apps
    brand.

the stock browser on webOS sucks big time. stock browser on android sucks too, but it has opera mobile, firefox mobile, skyfire, etc.
    Carrier first!
    OS
    Apps
    Hardware
    Brand.

To be accurate though, OS and apps are greatly dependent on each other as are hardware and brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    ...What is the most important aspect of your smart phone? How would you prioritize the following:

Brand
    OS/UI
    Apps
    Hardware
    The person buying a phone really could care less.

The hardware does not matter to anyone but us.

We are the only ones who even know they have OS's. To them this is all just magic.

All they care about is what they can do. It might go like this...
    → You are listening to tunes and start an Email. A Calendar pop-up says: "Get gift for bday party"
    → The store has it but the price is ridiculous. Use Barcode Scanner to see Best Buy has it on sale.
    → You hear a song & Shazam it to see who it is. You rip an MP3 of it from YouTube.
    → As you drive, you keep getting texts. You use Messaging speech to text to reply.
    → Best Buy tries to charge you full price. You show them their own in-store ad online.
    → You have voice mail. Use Visual Voicemail to hear the party is now at Olive Garden.
    → You get a Facebook that the party now starts at Olive Garden. You reply.
    → You use Voice Actions to say: "Navigate to Olive Garden"
    → At the party, video chat with a friend who's away.
    → Take photos & HD video & upload. You Bump your number to someone new.
    → Later, you go back to the email and say, "I'll send more tomorrow."

That's what anyone with an Android can do.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/24/2010 at 09:01 PM.