Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Wow. LG did say it'd bring some heat to its Android Optimus line and here's our first look at it, folks! An 8 megapixel camera-wearing, 1080p video-recording, dual-core superphone to appease all the spec fanatics out there. Aimed for release early next year, as the very first dual-core Android handset, this device will finally bring NVIDIA's Tegra 2 into the smartphone realm.
    Exclusive: LG's 4-inch Android phone with dual-core Tegra 2 and 1080p video coming in early 2011 -- Engadget
    Just saw the article. I hope HP is ready to go to war. They need to bring it next year with whatever product they decide to put out running webOS. Now that dual cores are reality, I would expect nothing less from HP. They need to show their muscle. C'mon HP/Palm!!
    Saw this article this morning as well. Looks like a really sweet phone. HPalm needs to step their game up in 2011.
    good for LG. They need to make a comeback.

hp...palm...your users are anxiously waiting. You made a splash in the majors during your brief september call up (ces 2009) and started off april great (summer 2009), even pulled off rookie of the year. However, injuries (hardware problems) and mental mistakes and inexperience (software beta-ish) along with lack of dev support and customers (luxury boxes and fans) put you in money problems. You received a new owner, with promises of increased money to purchase free agents (big name dev companies), and a new stadium (better hardware), and even received support from a big sponsor (vzw). It's time to show your potential!
    Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    Just saw the article. I hope HP is ready to go to war. They need to bring it next year with whatever product they decide to put out running webOS. Now that dual cores are reality, I would expect nothing less from HP. They need to show their muscle. C'mon HP/Palm!!
    Ok, not picking on you specifically, so please don't take offense...

Does anyone else think it's hilarious when people posts comments along these lines? "HPalm needs to bring it!" "I hope HPalm is ready to go!" "Let's go HPalm, time to show everyone what you can do!" Seriously, do we really think that they are going to come out with a phone that is a market leader? Really? Don't get me wrong, I really hope they do, but I don't see it happening. It's been 6 months since the buyout, and we're just seeing the pre2. In that time, am I supposed to believe that they've been working on a phone that will compete with the top tier, cutting edge phones coming out now and in the near future? I'm sure that a phone with Evo-like specs would be possible, and seriously, that would be more than enough for me. But there's no way they have a dual-core anything monster phone on the horizon.
    That said, being a Sprint release day user, I'm trying to want to move to android and the evo or the epic, or maybe even the upcoming HTC 7 Pro, but I can't bring myself to do it. If phones aren't announced by CES I'll probably be forced to jump, but I'm too far into webOS at this point to accept any other OS. I'm just hoping for a phone that is respectable, but I'm not getting my hopes up for the "superphone" that everyone else seems to be expecting.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I find it funny I posted about these phones last month and was told they were vaporware and nonsense and look at the threads popping up about them now hahahah..

I just love it!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post

Does anyone else think it's hilarious when people posts comments along these lines? "HPalm needs to bring it!" "I hope HPalm is ready to go!" "Let's go HPalm, time to show everyone what you can do!" Seriously, do we really think that they are going to come out with a phone that is a market leader? Really? Don't get me wrong, I really hope they do, but I don't see it happening. It's been 6 months since the buyout, and we're just seeing the pre2. In that time, am I supposed to believe that they've been working on a phone that will compete with the top tier, cutting edge phones coming out now and in the near future? I'm sure that a phone with Evo-like specs would be possible, and seriously, that would be more than enough for me. But there's no way they have a dual-core anything monster phone on the horizon.
    That said, being a Sprint release day user, I'm trying to want to move to android and the evo or the epic, or maybe even the upcoming HTC 7 Pro, but I can't bring myself to do it. If phones aren't announced by CES I'll probably be forced to jump, but I'm too far into webOS at this point to accept any other OS. I'm just hoping for a phone that is respectable, but I'm not getting my hopes up for the "superphone" that everyone else seems to be expecting.
    Doesnt the Pre 2 have Evo-like Specs?

Its cool, and good enough if the price is right. But Phones, for me, are a fancy toy. And matching something 6 months old isnt good enough. Im hoping we hear something better in January.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    Doesnt the Pre 2 have Evo-like Specs?
    If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you too.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

phones take longer than 6 months to put together, and the buyout wasn't completed t'ill June. So that's 4 months.

Also, evo specs are impressive now, but by the end of next year, they'll be like the pre+ is today.

Honestly, I think its kind of ridiculous to think anything other than Hp will try to keep up with the competition in the smart phone game. They acquired Palm for a reason. Some say that they are interested in nothing more than incorporating the O.S. into their printers. Thats all good to feel that way and it very well may be true. I however find it extremely interesting that the first ads that HP throws on the television to showcase WebOS shows how photos can be sent directly to a printer......from a phone. Not to mention the fact that they gave up on windows for future phone developments. That to me is a sign that they are extremely ready to "go to war" and put out the best product that they can to compete with the likes of Apple and HTC. Call me crazy, just my opinion.
    Screw the EVO, I want that phone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Screw the EVO, I want that phone now.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    phones take longer than 6 months to put together, and the buyout wasn't completed t'ill June. So that's 4 months.

Also, evo specs are impressive now, but by the end of next year, they'll be like the pre+ is today.
    Thanks for making my point for me.

14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

But interestingly, if you look at Android:

"The average cycle time for handsets first sold in 2008 based on Qualcomm's QSD8250 chipset and Android's Donut 1.6 release was a brief 8 months. By late 2009, the average cycle time for handsets based on Qualcomm's MSM7227 chipset and Android's Eclair 2.1 release had nearly halved, down to 4.5 months. This is "warp speed" for complex smartphones."
    Study suggests Android handset makers will suffer the fate of PC makers | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    Does anyone else think it's hilarious when people posts comments along these lines? "HPalm needs to bring it!" "I hope HPalm is ready to go!" "Let's go HPalm, time to show everyone what you can do!" Seriously, do we really think that they are going to come out with a phone that is a market leader?
    I don't find it hilarious, I find it sad. If you love Palm for WebOS, that's great, its an awesome OS. But if you want a smartphone with the latest technology, features and apps, Palm is not going to make the phone for you. Their hardware is going to cater to the strengths of webOS and they don't need a superphone to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    Honestly, I think its kind of ridiculous to think anything other than Hp will try to keep up with the competition in the smart phone game. They acquired Palm for a reason. Some say that they are interested in nothing more than incorporating the O.S. into their printers. Thats all good to feel that way and it very well may be true. I however find it extremely interesting that the first ads that HP throws on the television to showcase WebOS shows how photos can be sent directly to a printer......from a phone. Not to mention the fact that they gave up on windows for future phone developments. That to me is a sign that they are extremely ready to "go to war" and put out the best product that they can to compete with the likes of Apple and HTC. Call me crazy, just my opinion.
    Take a look at the future blueprint of Android devices as well as the current line-up of devices and tell me that HP is going to match or exceed them. HP is not just a step behind the competition, but a mile back. As for the "It's only been (insert timeframe) since the buyout. Give them time." argument. Please tell me when it is appropriate to be upset at how long it's taking them. CES? A year from the buyout? When? They've given us the Pre 2. Hooray. But why bother? If it takes time to design, develop, and produce a smartphone, wouldn't their time and resources be better spent on a new device?
    What I'm saying is that there will not be a webOS "Superphone" coming any time soon. Evo-like specs would be the best we can hope for, and frankly, that's enough for me. But as you pointed out, the Evo will be dated soon as well, and the phone HPalm comes out with will be too. Those who think they will be blowing away the competition with their hardware are just kidding themselves. It's the OS they are betting on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    I don't find it hilarious, I find it sad. If you love Palm for WebOS, that's great, its an awesome OS. But if you want a smartphone with the latest technology, features and apps, Palm is not going to make the phone for you. Their hardware is going to cater to the strengths of webOS and they don't need a superphone to do that.
    Agreed. Although I think the specs of the next phone are going to be a huge bump for a Palm device, it unfortunately won't crush the competition like so many are expecting or hoping for. In fact, it will be far behind when the time comes. Probably won't stop me from getting it though.

18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Take a look at the future blueprint of Android devices as well as the current line-up of devices and tell me that HP is going to match or exceed them. HP is not just a step behind the competition, but a mile back. As for the "It's only been (insert timeframe) since the buyout. Give them time." argument. Please tell me when it is appropriate to be upset at how long it's taking them. CES? A year from the buyout? When? They've given us the Pre 2. Hooray. But why bother? If it takes time to design, develop, and produce a smartphone, wouldn't their time and resources be better spent on a new device?
    What I'm saying is that there will not be a webOS "Superphone" coming any time soon. Evo-like specs would be the best we can hope for, and frankly, that's enough for me. But as you pointed out, the Evo will be dated soon as well, and the phone HPalm comes out with will be too. Those who think they will be blowing away the competition with their hardware are just kidding themselves. It's the OS they are betting on.
    Without a 'Hero' phone how do they plan to pick up share? The last time around the plan was to suck people in with the OS, that didn't happen. How is the same strategy suppose to work this time? Microsoft has just thrown $500 million at marketing on a similar basis and to a largely (in the US) indifferent response. Where is the value proposition for the consumer?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Without a 'Hero' phone how do they plan to pick up share? The last time around the plan was to suck people in with the OS, that didn't happen. How is the same strategy suppose to work this time? Microsoft has just thrown $500 million at marketing on a similar basis and to a largely (in the US) indifferent response. Where is the value proposition for the consumer?
    Honestly, I think the best plan would be to introduce new users to webOS via a tablet similar to the ipad. PalmPad, whatever you want to call it. Right now, the iphone and android have such a stranglehold on the smartphone market, that a new HP phone isn't going to be a gamechanger like the original pre could have been. But really, there are not a lot of mainstream, consumer-based tablets out there, and webOS seems perfectly designed for that form factor. If HP can jump into this business segment and come away with a hit, smartphone buyers will begin gravitating towards the OS in a phone. Just my thoughts, but the PalmPad seems to me the best way get vastly increase the OS's place in the consumer consciousness. The phone marketshare would follow suit.

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you too.
    Hmm.. Both have 1 gig processors, 8gb HD and 512 ram, right? Thats what I was referring too when saying "evo-LIKE". Of course the Evo has some better features (front facing camera, 4g) and a different form factor (4inch slab).

Im not defending the Palm Pre 2 - BTW. I think its a joke. I was just pointing out that the 'guts' of the phones were similiar. Which is part of the reason that the Pre is such a joke.

Congrats on 'almost' matching a 6-8 month old phone (pending the Pre 2 ever getting released state side).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast