Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    Hmm.. Both have 1 gig processors, 8gb HD and 512 ram, right? Thats what I was referring too when saying "evo-LIKE". Of course the Evo has some better features (front facing camera, 4g) and a different form factor (4inch slab).

Im not defending the Palm Pre 2 - BTW. I think its a joke. I was just pointing out that the 'guts' of the phones were similiar. Which is part of the reason that the Pre is such a joke.

Congrats on 'almost' matching a 6-8 month old phone (pending the Pre 2 ever getting released state side).
    Both phones have CDMA radios as well. I guess they're more similar that we thought.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    But if you want a smartphone with the latest technology, features and apps, Palm is not going to make the phone for you.
    true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordbane View Post
    Their hardware is going to cater to the strengths of webOS and they don't need a superphone to do that.
    I do however think they need phones that sell very well to be able to endure in the smartphone market. And if catering to the strengths of webos means the phones continue to not sell well They haven't succeeded. Bottom line is this is a for profit business and their goal is to make a profitable business venture somehow. Maybe it's selling low end phones. maybe it's a niche market. But in the end what Palm did so far got them struggling to keep their head above water and eventually sold. I doubt HP has any interest in that. Especially considering how people still talk about the compaq acquisition. Regardless whatever they make has to make profits in the long run or it didn't succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Ok, not picking on you specifically, so please don't take offense...

Does anyone else think it's hilarious when people posts comments along these lines? "HPalm needs to bring it!" "I hope HPalm is ready to go!" "Let's go HPalm, time to show everyone what you can do!" Seriously, do we really think that they are going to come out with a phone that is a market leader? Really? Don't get me wrong, I really hope they do, but I don't see it happening. It's been 6 months since the buyout, and we're just seeing the pre2. In that time, am I supposed to believe that they've been working on a phone that will compete with the top tier, cutting edge phones coming out now and in the near future? I'm sure that a phone with Evo-like specs would be possible, and seriously, that would be more than enough for me. But there's no way they have a dual-core anything monster phone on the horizon.
    That said, being a Sprint release day user, I'm trying to want to move to android and the evo or the epic, or maybe even the upcoming HTC 7 Pro, but I can't bring myself to do it. If phones aren't announced by CES I'll probably be forced to jump, but I'm too far into webOS at this point to accept any other OS. I'm just hoping for a phone that is respectable, but I'm not getting my hopes up for the "superphone" that everyone else seems to be expecting.
    I fully expect the next Palm phone to use the TI OMAP4 processor. There is no reason not to, and it would allow WebOS to do what its made to do -- to multi task like crazy. And at least 512MB of ram. Now do I expect augmentative reality, 3D screen, a swiss army knife, and whatever feature that people care about to make it a super phone? No, but they better bring it when it comes to processor power.

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you too.
    I am sorry, I just think thats funny.

Honestly, I think the best plan would be to introduce new users to webOS via a tablet similar to the ipad. PalmPad, whatever you want to call it. Right now, the iphone and android have such a stranglehold on the smartphone market, that a new HP phone isn't going to be a gamechanger like the original pre could have been. But really, there are not a lot of mainstream, consumer-based tablets out there, and webOS seems perfectly designed for that form factor. If HP can jump into this business segment and come away with a hit, smartphone buyers will begin gravitating towards the OS in a phone. Just my thoughts, but the PalmPad seems to me the best way get vastly increase the OS's place in the consumer consciousness. The phone marketshare would follow suit.
    They don't have to have a huge market share to make money in the smartphone market. Look at Apple, they made 22 billion dollars in their computer market alone (not including iOS or iTunes). And their computer market is 1/3rd of their business. Do I think Palm could make that much money? No, not without market share rising, but it doesn't mean they can't make tons of money -- more money then they do now.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    but it doesn't mean they can't make tons of money -- more money then they do now.
    But that means a different thing now - making X amount might have been fine when Palm was a small time player, but now it's a business unit within HP so the expectations of what sort of revenue it can provide will be a lot different.

Yes HP provides the finance and reach to put WebOS on a different level but it also provides rope to hang palm with if it under-performs because it no longer has either issue to fall back on as excuses.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I fully expect the next Palm phone to use the TI OMAP4 processor. There is no reason not to, and it would allow WebOS to do what its made to do -- to multi task like crazy. And at least 512MB of ram. Now do I expect augmentative reality, 3D screen, a swiss army knife, and whatever feature that people care about to make it a super phone? No, but they better bring it when it comes to processor power.
    The brings the question is webos optimized to use dual cores? Are Palm/HP actually on TI's list for the companies that get first dibs on the OMAP 4 chips.

Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    They don't have to have a huge market share to make money in the smartphone market. Look at Apple, they made 22 billion dollars in their computer market alone (not including iOS or iTunes). And their computer market is 1/3rd of their business. Do I think Palm could make that much money? No, not without market share rising, but it doesn't mean they can't make tons of money -- more money then they do now.
    Have a link for 22 billion on macs alone?

An article from the new york times.

Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s chief financial officer, said that a surprising number of businesses and schools had also been buying Apple’s products. IPhones provided the biggest piece of Apple’s revenue, with $8.8 billion in sales, followed by notebook computers with $3.2 billion. IPads and related accessories accounted for $2.9 billion.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    The brings the question is webos optimized to use dual cores? Are Palm/HP actually on TI's list for the companies that get first dibs on the OMAP 4 chips.

Have a link for 22 billion on macs alone?

An article from the new york times.
    Let me get back to you on the link. I have to watch a video to actually confirm the exact numbers, I could be wrong but I don't think I am. But it was at the Back to the Mac Event this year where Apple revealed some features of Mac OS X Lion. I know at the very least it was in the billions. But I am at work right now and actually cant listen/watch videos.

EDIT: HERE IS THE LINK: 33% (OR 1/3RD) OF APPLE REVENUE WAS MAC PRODUCTS, NOT IOS OR ITUNES OR AS SUCH, AND IT WAS 22 BILLION DOLLARS! WATCH THE VIDEO...1 MIN AND 19 SECS INTO IT Sorry for caps and bold, I just wanted to make it clear I added something. Don't like double posting.

MORE EDIT:
    helidos, you gatta understand Apple makes a lot of money from iPods, iPhone, iTunes, Apple TV. I am also not sure if iLife iWork and software is in that Mac, or if thats purely hardware sales (or all mac related products) -- he didn't state that. And thats the entire year, as well. As your link was talking ONE QUARTER and not the entire fiscal year.

As to the OMAP4, well can you tell me they aren't on the list? I know that there are more companies then just Palm that us TI processors, and that there might be a limited supply. But why would Palm not be on that list? As to whether or not WebOS 2.0 is optimized for duel core, it may not be right now but they could be working on it right now. I wouldn't see why they WOULDN'T want a duel core. OMAP4 promises better performance and energy saving technology. Here is a link for your viewing pleasure that will, in detail, explain the power saving technology behind OMAP4 (link).

So again, when Ruby says he likes to be on the cutting edge, and the company that gives Palm their processors (TI) have a high performance processor with duel core and power management software, why would he not want it? This is why I fully expect Palm to have OMAP4 in their next device, or at least one of their smart phones next year (their next device might be a Pixi 2 for all I know, and I don't expect a Pixi 2 to have OMAP4).
    Last edited by astraith; 11/22/2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: added new info
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12