1.    #1  
    This new service integrates facebook, text and email all in one.

Watch Facebook's messaging event right here! -- Engadget
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    why does this sound a lot like webOS's take on messaging and contact management?

"There are no subject lines, no cc, no bcc, and you can send a message by hitting the Enter key," explained Facebook engineer Joel Seligstein in a blog post. "...Relatively soon, we'll probably all stop using arbitrary ten digit numbers and bizarre sequences of characters to contact each other. We will just select friends by name and be able to share with them instantly."
    Of course, a name is also an arbitrary sequence of characters selected (usually) by the parental units, but the point stands.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    why does this sound a lot like webOS's take on messaging and contact management?

That's what I took away from it after watching the video, with the integration of email into the conversation thread, it is building on what webOS did with messaging. I'm looking forward to it.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That's what I took away from it after watching the video, with the integration of email into the conversation thread, it is building on what webOS did with messaging. I'm looking forward to it.
    In the UK, we used to have a comedy show called Goodness Gracious me, on it was a character who used to claim everything was an Indian invention or every famous historical figure was a indian. This place seems to be going the same way:

Facebook developing messaging capabilities- it's WebOS!

Nexus S- it's modeled on the Pre!

Samsung i9080 notification screen - it's a rip-off of WebOs notifications!

Do companies borrow from each other's innovations? Sure but this place sees WebOS in everything.
    lol

I'm pretty sure there are a number of companies that have IM clients that talk to all services...WebOS wasn't the first one nor is it the most encompassing. Trillian being the most encompassing i can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    In the UK, we used to have a comedy show called Goodness Gracious me, on it was a character who used to claim everything was an Indian invention or every famous historical figure was a indian. This place seems to be going the same way:

Facebook developing messaging capabilities- it's WebOS!

Nexus S- it's modeled on the Pre!

Samsung i9080 notification screen - it's a rip-off of WebOs notifications!

Do companies borrow from each other's innovations? Sure but this place sees WebOS in everything.