1.    #1  
    NYT: Capturing Hearts, One Upgrade at a Time
    For more: http://s.nyt.com/u/mbM4
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/15/2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: fixed link
    Good article. It applies to so many devices in our lives today.
    I could not get that link to work. This is the one that worked for me:

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=vTPhT...StEwj-eCdxeAJw

So the Android model is the only one based on revenue as the product is used (ads). So the longer you keep your phone the better. Upgrades keep you from changing phones. Both Google and the user win.

Palm only makes money when you buy a new phone so upgrades that keep you using the old hardware hurts Palm but helps the user. Palm only wins when the user's old phone is replaced, not upgraded. The user has to lose for Palm to win.
  4.    #4  
    yes palm loses money, but the point that I thought was important is a general one. We don't have to go out and get the latest and greatest all the time. With the backwards compatibility of some of these software upgrades for various devices from smartphones to blu ray players to dvrs and car systems, it ultimately saves the consumer money,and definitely for me keeps me a loyal customer for various devices.
    Probably one of the main reasons people are in no hurry to get the Pre2. With webos 2.0 people with the pre + will already have it except for the glass, bevel, and camera upgrade.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

[url]

So the Android model is the only one based on revenue as the product is used (ads). So the longer you keep your phone the better. Upgrades keep you from changing phones. Both Google and the user win.

Palm only makes money when you buy a new phone so upgrades that keep you using the old hardware hurts Palm but helps the user. Palm only wins when the user's old phone is replaced, not upgraded. The user has to lose for Palm to win.
    buying a new phone = the user losing? Ok

android phone makers only profit when you buy new hardware, so it's to their benefit to cut short software updates on existing phone. The users need to lose for them to win as you put it.

also, google wants fast browsing so you see more of their ads. Newer hardware means faster browsing. So here the user needs to lose in order for google to win more.

and back to palm, we are still getting software updates on the pre despite being released before the hero and droid which stopped getting updates.
    Thats because WebOS was shipped essentially as a beta.

Android updates now are just refinement/improvements to the core system....WebOS is still lacking in many features.
    I think it's safe to say that this article applies to both Android AND webOS and the majority of consumer products out there. No need to turn it into an X vs Y battle.
    Won’t it be nice when we truly have cloud computing. Right now, if we replace our computer hardware we need to reload all of the purchased software or start over with new software and much of the software is never upgraded from the original installation.

I really like the fact that if I upgrade my hardware from a Pre Plus to a Pre 2 or some other future phone, all of my purchased applications will move to the new phone. It is also nice that as new webOS versions are published that the application developers can and do update their software to take advantage of new APIs or OS features.

Upgrading has become the method that both software and hardware companies now use to create and hold a user base. As long as they continue to upgrade their products the users have very little reason to change to anything else.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    buying a new phone = the user losing? Ok
    If you are required to buy a new phone to get the latest software - even though the hardware can support the newer programs - then yeah, it means that the consumer has lost. You have to spend $$$ artificially when an upgrade could have kept you happy. And loyal to the platform.

If the newer hardware is so cool that you just have to upgrade, and you want to upgrade, then great. But if it's just a 'Minor spec bump', then I'd be more likely to switch OS's than upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=vTPhT...StEwj-eCdxeAJw

Kind of a biased statement. It is the standard model for hardware sales and has been for a while. Palm in particular (and RIM) have not left people stranded with obsolete hardware nearly as much as Android and iOS. Maybe that is the way of the future, but I doubt that makes it better.

It is also the only OS where there is no need to actually include the cost of the development of the OS in the selling price, based on the prospect of getting said eyeballs for ad revenue.

It also helps to have the ability to burn money in pursuit of potential future revenue. From what I've read, so far they haven't turned a penny in profit so far. If that were Apple, Palm or RIM (it may still be Microsoft) they would be decried as an Epic fail.