1.    #1  
    Samsung i9100 is the dual-core Galaxy 2, sequel to the Galaxy S? -- Engadget

Along with a Sony Ericsson Anzu, the James Bond of cellphones -- alias Eldar Murtazin -- claims to be playing with a Samsung GT-i9100 right now, calling it the "Galaxy 2" and saying it's "so technically advanced" thanks in part to a dual-core processor. It seems like a long shot that this would be the Cortex-A9-based Orion since chips and development boards are just now being sampled -- but considering how far in advance Murtazin tends to score phones, we can't rule anything out.

One possible scenario is that the i9100 could be something akin to a TouchWiz-skinned version of the upcoming Nexus S, much as HTC's Desire was essentially a Sense-skinned version of the Nexus One. Samsung, of course, has been pushing TouchWiz very hard across its Galaxy S line this year, and if the Nexus S is as beastly as the rumors are claiming it to be, there's little doubt that Samsung would love to repurpose the hardware for something with a little more of its flavor thrown in. Speaking of the Galaxy S, keep in mind that the original European GSM model goes by the code GT-i9000, so it would stand to reason that the i9100 could be the proper successor -- and with Gingerbread-based TouchWiz and a dual-core processor on board, we'd say they're off to a strong start.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/15/2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Fixed Typo in title
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    There had better be some fantastic implementation of dual core technology for it to be worthwhile. Dual core is great for multitasking, but most smart phones are already on the verge of unusable battery life.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Most people already knew the other major players would be releasing dual cores before Palm/HP since most of the them actually design the chips they use, or have such huge market share they get first dibs on new tech. This is what happens when you build phones with off the shelve parts or have such low demand for your products you get the left overs when it comes to next gen tech.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    There had better be some fantastic implementation of dual core technology for it to be worthwhile. Dual core is great for multitasking, but most smart phones are already on the verge of unusable battery life.
    Dual core actually improves battery life, just like pre-2 with 1GHz processor has better battery life than pre with its original processor (I am saying when both are running webOS2.0)
    Dual Core doesn't necessarily improve battery life. How the OS uses the processor has more to do with the battery life than hardware.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Dual Core doesn't necessarily improve battery life. How the OS uses the processor has more to do with the battery life than hardware.
    Power efficiency relies in a big part on the ability of the hardware in the phone to complete a task quickly and return to an idle state where it consumes very little power. This “burst” processing, while consuming fairly high amounts of power for very short periods of time, tends to be more economical than prolonged, slower processing.
    Just because someone has talked about Samsung's dual core phone doesn't mean they'll be out sooner.

If it were in consumers hands now, then it would be a different story.

For all you know, Palm already has a dual core phone in production and in the hands of their engineers for testing to ensure whatever comes after webOS 2.0 is capable of a dual core processor (assuming they launched the dual core phone at CES along with a newer version of webOS).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Just because someone has talked about Samsung's dual core phone doesn't mean they'll be out sooner.

If it were in consumers hands now, then it would be a different story.

For all you know, Palm already has a dual core phone in production and in the hands of their engineers for testing to ensure whatever comes after webOS 2.0 is capable of a dual core processor (assuming they launched the dual core phone at CES along with a newer version of webOS).
    Engadget said galaxy-2 is almost there with dual core, the link is on first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    For all we know the lack of acceptance of the Pre 2 among carriers will cause HP to curtail high-end smartphone development.
    yup.

Despite what some might believe, carriers do not have an unsuppressable compulsion to binge on OSes.

Each new distinct OS requires new training and support for and from staff, new relationships etc with OEMs, and decisions about subsidies, products to carry, calculations as to how popular the phone might be etc etc.

If a carrier already has Android, RIM, and maybe WP7 and iOS -- what would make them want to take a flyer on adding a Pre2, when they were already burnt w/the Pre ???

Is HP willing to push out the bribe money like M$ ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 11/15/2010 at 09:30 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Last I saw Samsung was showing off the Cortex A9 Dual-Core on a huge motherboard. I don't think they're that close to getting it in a phone.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Last I saw Samsung was showing off the Cortex A9 Dual-Core on a huge motherboard. I don't think they're that close to getting it in a phone.
    Sir you are behind times, they are very close to a phone
    how do you know hp isn't going to have at least one of their phones at ces 2011 include an ti omap 4440 dual core processor? could very well be first to market. not saying for sure, but still a possibility since phones with that processor were announced to be in development for q4 2010/ q1 2011. we'll see i guess.
    anything less than a dual core announcement on feb 9th by hp will be a disappointment
    I guess Samsung is running late because Lg and Motorola beat them to the party.
    Last edited by kinster02; 01/29/2011 at 03:14 AM.
    Atrix will be the first dual core phone. I think a lot of people will beat HP to that.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html