Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Some experiences on switching to the Android platform after years of being a PalmOS/WebOS user:

Contacts: I didn't want to put them into Google, so I exported them using the Send Contacts patch and then imported them on the Epic. The Android Contacts app defaults to syncing them to your Google account, so beware of that.

The import wasn't completely smooth - I had to edit the .vcf file to clean up ~30 contacts that had bad formatting. The Android contacts app showed the text it didn't like, so that helped. This also lost my contact photos, alas.

HanDBase: I was pleasantly surprised to find that HB can read the Palm .pdb files directly. I just copied them over and there were all my databases! It doesn't currently support forms, so that may be an issue - I wasn't using them for anything critical.

SplashID: I synced to Palm desktop and then upgraded to the current version of SplashID (which no longer supports syncing to Palm). It then Wifi synced my passwords to the Android version of SplashID - pretty cool.

ClassicNote: I had a bunch of notes here that I didn't want to lose. ClassicNote supports exporting to a .csv file. I found Note Everything in the Android Market, which supports importing from Palm Memos in .csv. I had to massage the file a bit to get things in the right format, but was finally able to get all my notes imported. Note Everything feels much like ClassicNote, and has more features.

eWallet: Synced to Palm Desktop, upgraded to eWallet Android version, and then usb-synced the file to the Epic. The eWallet Android app is only a viewer for the wallets, but I can work around that.

DateBk6: I installed the beta of Pocket Informant on the Epic. It's a better calendar than anything I've had since leaving my Treo - not as powerful as DateBk, but quite adequate. Alas, I didn't see any good method of importing my calendar events directly, so I ended up typing a lot.

Hardware: The Epic is BIG. Coming from a Pre, it feels huge. That's going to take some getting used to.

The Swype onscreen keyboard works so well that I've been using the hardware keyboard much less than I expected. There's functional speech-to-text, too.

Multitasking is not as slick as the 'card' model on WebOS. OTOH, I rarely kept more than two-three apps open at a time on my original Pre, as it got too slow. I've got 8 open on the Epic at the moment, and everything is snappy.

Apps: You can get lost in the Android Market. For someone coming from the desert of WebOS third-party programs, it's overwhelming.

I've only had it for two days, but it's looking good so far...
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Apps: You can get lost in the Android Market. For someone coming from the desert of WebOS third-party programs, it's overwhelming.
    Install and register for Appbrain and do all your app selection from your PC.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Install and register for Appbrain and do all your app selection from your PC.
    Oh, I wasn't complaining - it's great actually having multiple options to choose from!
    I will be switching to epic soon.sounds great. Just waiting to see if 2.0 is cool enough to make me want to wait.
    Last edited by zmann; 11/14/2010 at 11:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I found Note Everything in the Android Market, which supports importing from Palm Memos in .csv. I had to massage the file a bit to get things in the right format, but was finally able to get all my notes imported. Note Everything feels much like ClassicNote, and has more features.
    Sounds good but how did you export your memos from the Pre? I'm in the process of switching from the Pre to the Epic and the holding phase holding me up is getting my memos off the Pre and to the Epic.
    Yes. Do tell. My brother is in the same boat with wanting a way to transfer about 5K memos.
    Yup... Getting my Evo tomorrow... This would be a great help rather than emailing myself 300 memos...

Join A.S.A.D.A. and together we can rule the Galaxy!!! Don't Forget to tag #[insert app]4webos on twitter!
    I'm about to get my epic on thursday. I have about 60 memos so I would also like to know how one would export them from their pre and at least save them as text files on my computer.
    Apart from my blind fanatic allegence to my palm phones, what had kept me from the Epic so far is the lack of 3g in our area. Really, really hate to pay the extra when don't have the full capability yet. I have played with the Epic and Android and am tempted more and more. Just a few of the things I lust over:

- Good Calandar
    - Bigger Screen
    - Voice commands, Voice to text stuff.
    - Built in visual voicemail.
    - Kindle App
    - XM radio app
    - Document editing
    - That Swype thingy. Played with it enough that it would really be nice for quick responses to SMS's and the like. Takes care of what would otherwise be my desire for vertical keyboard.
    - Better Camera
    - Netflix (comming soon to high end adriod devices apparantly)

webOS 2.0 and pre2 don't fix any of this, but the nextgen devices might IF they really hit the specs out of the park and IF HP pushes and markets it and IF there are enough sales to get the developers on board and (for me) IF all of this happens on Sprint
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    Sounds good but how did you export your memos from the Pre? I'm in the process of switching from the Pre to the Epic and the holding phase holding me up is getting my memos off the Pre and to the Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yes. Do tell. My brother is in the same boat with wanting a way to transfer about 5K memos.
    Use Evernote. I finally gave up on Outlook notes and Classic notes. I love Evernote.

I realize this doesn't answer the question of exporting notes, not trying to be a smart a**. The cloud is the future, at some point you have to face the pain of migration. I'm glad I did this when I moved back to Palm (Pre).
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Apart from my blind fanatic allegence to my palm phones, what had kept me from the Epic so far is the lack of 3g in our area. Really, really hate to pay the extra when don't have the full capability yet.
    Find someone with a Evo/Epic and have them test out the 4G. I have found 4G in places its not even announced to be coming to yet. Here in Florida I found that the entire county I live in has 4G but its not mentioned anywhere when it is coming to our area but its already here and working perfect.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    Use Evernote. I finally gave up on Outlook notes and Classic notes. I love Evernote.

I realize this doesn't answer the question of exporting notes, not trying to be a smart a**. The cloud is the future, at some point you have to face the pain of migration. I'm glad I did this when I moved back to Palm (Pre).
    Evernote is both ace and skill - in terms of importing, if you make then .txt files and then put them in a single folder and ask evernote to 'watch' it, they will be imported.
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post

Unfortunately it's not a matter of "you should have used X". The problem is that my brother already has 5K memos on his Pre. I'm trying to help him find a way to transfer those. Can Evernote pull in stuff from the stock pre app? Once there is a way to transfer, be it to the cloud or otherwise, THEN he can think about picking a better technology going forward. Right now, he simply would like to keep all those memos if possible. I don't use the memo feature so don't know much about it.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I finally gave up on my launch day pre over the weekend. I stared at the buy link for the Epic for 2 days before I finally gave in. My power button doesn't work anymore, my keyboard either repeats letters or skips them entirely, my messaging app does not always properly....the list just keeps growing.

The final nail in the coffin was getting the Epic for $169. Done deal.

I wanted to wait until CES for the next device, but I figured that mass release of anything presented there wouldn't hit full swing until March at the earliest. My phone just wasn't going to make it until then.

There were also too many "ifs" about the next device: If it has a keyboard, if it has better build quality, if there were more apps in the app store, if the battery life was better, if Sprint will carry the phone, etc. Here's my if: if HP wanted to build up buzz and keep customers interested, they should be leaking some specs or screen shots.

Another if: if HP will really have the next WebOS phone ready in 1H 2011, should they have released the Pre2 and have everyone use up their upgrades? Makes me think that the tablet will come first and the next phone won't be out for a while.

I will weep for the loss of my touchstones, tho. I love those things.... *sniff*

- X
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post
    I will weep for the loss of my touchstones, tho. I love those things.... *sniff*
    Indeed. However, for the non-warranty caring brave, there is hope.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    If you're still using the original Palm notes, then Note Everything has a method to import them from the Palm desktop directly:
    Importing Palm Notes

I was using ClassicNote on the Pre, so I had to do things a bit differently. ClassicNote allows exporting to a .csv, which I then tried importing into Note Everything by the process in the link above. This worked, but instead of carriage returns I had html linebreak tags. A bit of work on the .csv with a hex editor fixed that.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Issues I've run into:

SplashID would force close on certain password cards. Looking in the desktop app, these had gotten imported with mangled modification dates (0000-00, etc). I had too many of these to want to fix them each by hand, so I exported to a .vid file and then did global search and replaces to clean them up. Reimported and resynced to the Epic.

eWallet 'syncs' by copying the .wlt file to /eWallet via usb. The first sync went fine, but then the desktop app would throw an exception and exit if I tried further syncs. Deleting the file from the Epic before syncing works around the problem. Since the eWallet app on Android is only a viewer, it's not currently a big deal. (Edit: This came from me having two cards in the same category whose names differed only in capitalization (i.e. site.com Site.com). Editing the names fixed the error.)

Still happy with the change. I do miss the Touchstones, but not enough to start soldering wires to my Epic's motherboard.
    Last edited by bitmage; 11/16/2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: fix for ewallet issue
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Swype is amazing, BTW. If I'd been able to play with it before buying, I might not have insisted on having a physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Swype is amazing, BTW. If I'd been able to play with it before buying, I might not have insisted on having a physical keyboard.
    Swype is far faster than typing but you still have to input every single letter by hand and is missing text to speech.

What's faster than Swyping out every letter? Not Swyping out every letter.

SwiftKey often predicts your next word before you even start typing it making it even faster. SwiftKey learns how you think and gets frighteningly good at knowing your word before you even start.

That works great at work but where SwiftKey really shines is when you are driving.

In 30 states you cannot type while you drive. SwiftKey has speech to text and it is amazingly good at it.

But you might prefer ThickButtons or Better Keyboard. See the Getting Started: Keyboards for lots of screenshots.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/16/2010 at 10:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Swype on the Epic does have a speech to text button. Swiftkey does look interesting, but not for driving, please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast