Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    I do miss the Touchstones, but not enough to start soldering wires to my Epic's motherboard.
    Same here. I'm glad someone figured out how to do it but I'm not that brave. Plus, I like the compass-based apps.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Swype on the Epic does have a speech to text button. SwiftKey does look interesting, but not for driving, please!
    Have you tried SwiftKey? It's speech to text is even better than Vlingo.

    The Swype website Swype | Text Input for Screens does not say that they support text to speech. Can you post a screenshot?

    Swype also appears to have been removed from the Android Market: Swype - Search Android Apps on AppBrain

    - Craig
  3. bitmage's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Swype website Swype | Text Input for Screens does not say that they support text to speech. Can you post a screenshot?

    - Craig
    I haven't rooted yet, but you can see the mike button in the photo from the AndroidCentral review. Swype comes preinstalled on the Epic.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
  4. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post

    The final nail in the coffin was getting the Epic for $169. Done deal.? Makes me, tho.
    How did you get such a good deal? Best I've seen cuts the price down to $250 after instant savings and rebate.
  5. Xebec01's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #25  
    Wirefly has a "friends and family" link. Their normal site had the epic for $199 (eligible upgrades), but the friends and family link brought it down to $169.

    There are a bunch of coupon codes on the interwebs for free bluetooth headsets, free memory cards, etc. that do not work on the "Friends and Family" version of the site. Depending on your needs, the standard site may work out better.

    Free shipping, too!

    There is an extra ETF if you jump ship within 6 months (on top of any ETF from Sprint), so be sure that you're in it for the long haul. Their return policy seems a little short, too. Based on my quick glance, you have 30 days to return a device for a refund, but you have to request that return in 14 days.

    As long as you read the fine print, you should be OK.

    - X
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Have you tried SwiftKey? It's speech to text is even better than Vlingo.

    The Swype website Swype | Text Input for Screens does not say that they support text to speech. Can you post a screenshot?

    Swype also appears to have been removed from the Android Market: Swype - Search Android Apps on AppBrain

    - Craig
    If you have a phone with Swype pre-installed, or are in the beta program (I don't think it was ever in the market, though I could be wrong) the most recent version of it has the mic button:

    http://www.androidcentral.com/seype-android-beta-update
  7. dead78's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    If you're still using the original Palm notes, then Note Everything has a method to import them from the Palm desktop directly:
    Importing Palm Notes

    I was using ClassicNote on the Pre, so I had to do things a bit differently. ClassicNote allows exporting to a .csv, which I then tried importing into Note Everything by the process in the link above. This worked, but instead of carriage returns I had html linebreak tags. A bit of work on the .csv with a hex editor fixed that.
    Well, I'm using Memos v.1.4.5, and that's whatever was included with the latest release of WebOS. I haven't installed anything else for memos. I guess my issue what that link you provided is that I don't know how it works with the Pre. I thought that the Pre couldn't be synced with Palm desktop?
  8. bitmage's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    Well, I'm using Memos v.1.4.5, and that's whatever was included with the latest release of WebOS.
    Ah, sorry about that. My memos had come over from my Treo using Classic, and then I'd imported them into ClassicNote. There is a method
    described here
    to get them into .csv format.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
  9. #29  
    I begrudgingly bought an epic due to the pre crapping out. At first the beautiful screen, apps (tower games FTW) and build quality blew me away.

    After a week, the shiny-ness has worn off and Im not that impressed. Its buggy, I have to restart it several times a day, the widgets quit working for no reason. It rarely loads my emails. Well over half my contacts didnt import.

    I cant how unpolished this phone is...
  10. #30  
    I'm probably returning my Epic next week. The hardware is great but it just doesn't handle my workflow as well as webOS on my Pre Plus. Also webOS 2 is dropping soon which should make my Pre Plus even better.

    The grass isn't always greener IMO.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  11. #31  
    Bought it over a month ago. Still buries the Pre, as as I am concerned.
  12. bitmage's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    After a week, the shiny-ness has worn off and Im not that impressed. Its buggy, I have to restart it several times a day, the widgets quit working for no reason. It rarely loads my emails. Well over half my contacts didnt import.
    My experiences have been the opposite. I've seen the occasional 'force quit', but it never takes the OS down. All my emails are working (2 pop, 1 imap, and 1 gmail account), and all my contacts imported.

    In terms of workflow, it's much better than the Pre - although most of that could be blamed on Classic. Previously when I needed to get into HanDBase, it went:

    Launch Classic. Classic informs me that a (nonexistent) system update is available, and exits.
    Launch Classic again. It lets me in after the 30-40 sec startup delay.
    Run HanDBase.
    If I leave Classic open, expect hard lockup and reboot of Pre within hour.

    Now I just launch HanDBase, and I'm there. Same for the two other apps I used to use in Classic.

    The only major negative I've seen is that the GPS does not lock anywhere near as fast as the Pre's did. This is apparently a bug, so I'm hopeful that 2.2 Froyo will fix it.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
  13. #33  
    I haven't had android restart on me...ever.

    Force close an app here or there...but never a whole system meltdown.
  14. #34  
    I must have a defective unit. The widgets work less than 25% of the time. I almost always have to go into the app menu to get an app to work, as opposed to the widget. My wifi rarely works on the phone. It will just get stuck for minutes trying to download something. Restart the phone, and its off to the races again. I love the screen and the tower games though.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    I begrudgingly bought an epic due to the pre crapping out. At first the beautiful screen, apps (tower games FTW) and build quality blew me away.

    After a week, the shiny-ness has worn off and Im not that impressed. Its buggy, I have to restart it several times a day, the widgets quit working for no reason. It rarely loads my emails. Well over half my contacts didnt import.

    I cant how unpolished this phone is...
    Yours sounds farked to be frank.

    Might want to try a swap.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    I must have a defective unit. The widgets work less than 25% of the time. I almost always have to go into the app menu to get an app to work, as opposed to the widget. My wifi rarely works on the phone. It will just get stuck for minutes trying to download something. Restart the phone, and its off to the races again. I love the screen and the tower games though.
    Take it back. Something is wrong.

    It may have been an app your loaded but I don't think so.

    Follow the steps in Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks.

    The Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android can also help you with setups to match your Pre.

    - Craig
  17. #37  
    an *****'s guide to moving your contacts from a Pre to the Droid would be greatly appreciated. Got my Droid earlier this week-went into a Sprint to have them move the contacts for me and many did not make the switch. I have yet to figure out rhyme or reason to it...

    other than that i LOVE my Epic. I was in my second Pre in just over 12 months due to cracks in the frame. That and a ridiculously short battery life PLUS the paucity of apps for the pre prompted me to make the switch after multiple years of Palm allegiance. I do miss the cards from Web OS but...
  18. #38  
    Are your contacts on the Palm Profile?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebec01 View Post
    I finally gave up on my launch day pre over the weekend. I stared at the buy link for the Epic for 2 days before I finally gave in. My power button doesn't work anymore, my keyboard either repeats letters or skips them entirely, my messaging app does not always properly....the list just keeps growing.

    The final nail in the coffin was getting the Epic for $169. Done deal.

    I wanted to wait until CES for the next device, but I figured that mass release of anything presented there wouldn't hit full swing until March at the earliest. My phone just wasn't going to make it until then.

    There were also too many "ifs" about the next device: If it has a keyboard, if it has better build quality, if there were more apps in the app store, if the battery life was better, if Sprint will carry the phone, etc. Here's my if: if HP wanted to build up buzz and keep customers interested, they should be leaking some specs or screen shots.

    Another if: if HP will really have the next WebOS phone ready in 1H 2011, should they have released the Pre2 and have everyone use up their upgrades? Makes me think that the tablet will come first and the next phone won't be out for a while.

    I will weep for the loss of my touchstones, tho. I love those things.... *sniff*

    - X
    When I read this I thought I had written it in my sleep or something! I just made the switch this last weekend for all of the reasons/issues expressed above. I am going to miss WebOS, but...... Android OS is A LOT easier to manipulate than I thought. I'm loving it so far....sigh...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions