Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP Slate 500 sees extraordinary demand, according to Engadget.

According to the article, the Slate is sold out and back ordered. It will take up to six weeks to get one if you order now. Is this game-on, or just small production runs? Sound off.
    Maybe the demand exceeded their initial projections, but I think it looks like they are hyping it up. Most times online stores just say sold out, will ship on: XX/XX/XX. That whole extraordinary demand thing is extra fluff. But hey, it definitely gets people talking.
    HP Slate 500 sees 'extraordinary demand,' experiences six-week shipping delay -- Engadget

Read through the comments.

It's probably just a troll account or something, but it would be pretty cool if it wasn't.
  4.    #4  
    That looks a lot like a thread started in Other Handhelds.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That looks a lot like a thread started in Other Handhelds.
    My bad if it's a repost. I didn't look around too much before posting it.
    Read through the comments...carefully.
    hes referring to this comment

JonRubinstein 2 hours ago in reply to DrPretto
    It's coming
    -Jon
    Sent from my PalmPad
    dount thats him though..
  9.    #9  
    As Paul Harvey might say, It is time for the rest of the story. Engadget updated their original story. Here are the extra few lines:

Update: We've yet to hear back from HP proper, but a trusted tipster with a contact inside HP spun us a very interesting tale -- HP reportedly only ever planned a limited production run of 5,000 units, and received orders for 9,000 instead. When demand outstripped supply, HP apparently had to re-hire production workers just to get the presses printing out tablets again, and are presently placating angry customers by offering them over $100 off their $800 purchase as apology.
    HP is trying to replicate some of the iPad hype by pretending that people are clamoring for their product. They ought to be ashamed of themselves, but their not. At 9,000 total orders, they would be better off killing the project than to fire up the assembly line for another 4,000 units. Giving $100 back to those 4,000 who ordered must destroy any profit they had originally built into the margin. I bet they will be losing money at this point.

They could have just said nothing, rather than telling reporters that there was extraordinary demand. These are the new keepers of the Palm flame.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 11/14/2010 at 07:02 AM.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    9000 units? Wow, that's a real game-changer...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    9000 units? Wow, that's a real game-changer...
    It sounds like they expected one big order of 5,000: probably from themselves, and got a second, unexpected order of 4,000: probably from MS. They should have just stayed under their rock, instead of shooting off their mouths about extraordinary demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It sounds like they expected one big order of 5,000: probably from themselves, and got a second, unexpected order of 4,000: probably from MS. They should have just stayed under their rock, instead of shooting off their mouths about extraordinary demand.
    9,000 units. What is that, like 2 hours of iPad sales on a typical day?

UPDATE: I did the math on my glib "2 hours" comment - turns out I was pretty close. Apple has 2,500,000 iPads built per month which comes out to ~85,000 units per day. With three full shifts at the factory, they're making 3,500 iPads per hour. Who knew?
    Last edited by Kupe; 11/14/2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Well it looks like most people were wrong stating the slate may be a bust. According to Engagdet and their sources the HP slate is on backorder already, and those orders are delyed 6 weeks! They stated they only intended on having 5k on hand and recieved preorders of 9k. Looks like HP's tablet (for business's of course) is expected to exceed HP's expectations.

HP Slate 500 sees 'extraordinary demand,' experiences six-week shipping delay (update) -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Well it looks like most people were wrong stating the slate may be a bust. According to Engagdet and their sources the HP slate is on backorder already, and those orders are delyed 6 weeks! They stated they only intended on having 5k on hand and recieved preorders of 9k. Looks like HP's tablet (for business's of course) is expected to exceed HP's expectations.

HP Slate 500 sees 'extraordinary demand,' experiences six-week shipping delay (update) -- Engadget
    Seriously? What company with a strong global presence and the largest tech company employee roster releases a device in so few numbers that it wouldn't even be available to as many as 2% of their own employees?

Did you happen to notice the update for that article?
    Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    Update: We've yet to hear back from HP proper, but a trusted tipster with a contact inside HP spun us a very interesting tale -- HP reportedly only ever planned a limited production run of 5,000 units, and received orders for 9,000 instead. When demand outstripped supply, HP apparently had to re-hire production workers just to get the presses printing out tablets again, and are presently placating angry customers by offering them over $100 off their $800 purchase as apology.
    LOL! Yup, after screwing up the initial order, HP will now end up selling a paltry 4,000 more devices, probably at a loss. Awesome stuff.

MY THEORY: After HP announced last June that they were no longer going to build a Windows 7 tablet, Microsoft pointed to the small print on some agreement the two companies had between them requiring HP to build a Windows-based tablet ... so they did ... 5,000 of them. Sort of a case of malicious compliance on HP's part. Well, it's one theory as to why HP could bungle something so simple as this.
    yup your right, I don't think HP thought it would be a little bit more of a demand since they were playing were not releasing it we are. Now they have to rush and try and produce more Slates smh. Hopefully the Webos Version can exceed expectations too.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Hopefully the Webos Version can exceed expectations too.
    Well, with the kinds of (laughably low) expectations HP seems to use for production forecasting, that shouldn't be too hard.
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Well, with the kinds of (laughably low) expectations HP seems to use for production forecasting, that shouldn't be too hard.
    I know right, I'm hopefully guessing this is because it was targeted for business not consumers. Otherwise that number they expected is scary low.
    I think HP played this safe. Like the Pre2, the Slate was pretty much finished before the acquisition of Palm and WebOS and instead of throwing all that money for developing their first Pad away, they produced just a few to see the resonance in the market hence the success of the iPad. Tho' I have to admit.. 5000 are a bit few for an IT-giant like HP.

Just my thoughts on this.
  20.    #20  
    The fact that they only produced 5,000 means that was probably the minimum production run they could do. Also, they knew it would be a flop.

The real story is that they only found less than 10,000 humans willing to buy one. Even that number is inflated, because we are looking at bulk orders. That is worse than embarrassing.

In spite of the dismal performance, HP is doing a public victory dance, sighting extraordinary demand. The demand is extraordinarily low for just about any type of consumer electronics product you can think of. The scary thing for pPad hopefuls, is that HP thinks they have a runaway success on their hands.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast