Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Samsung's Continuum: The Galaxy S Gains a Little Ticker

This phone tries to copy the notification area, but not very well IMO
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    it's alot different than what the pre has . Alot !!
    ĦṔ-ḶřŘṫ-ŦḯŘη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    different but the same, it is an area below the screen where widget like apps give information and dashboard controls for apps. How is that different then webOS? Except the area can be minimized on webOS and the area stacks vertically instead of slides side to side, allowing you access to all the widgets at once. The widgets are built in at the OS level on webOS while those are obviously bolted on.

I would not call that a lot different, in fact I would call it functionally the same, even identical, just done, implemented, better on webOS.

That little strip is a duplication of the pull down notification bar on android, looks like they realize their notifications bar was uber cluttered and copied webOS.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  4.    #4  
    From the article

Samsung claims the lower display is the world's first "ticker" on a smartphone—allowing you to watch a movie, take a call, or whatever else you please—while having access to secondary data, like stock prices and incoming texts.
    BS!!! That is exactly what the notifications area does for you.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    different but the same, it is an area below the screen where widget like apps give information and dashboard controls for apps. How is that different then webOS? Except the area can be minimized on webOS and the area stacks vertically instead of slides side to side, allowing you access to all the widgets at once. The widgets are built in at the OS level on webOS while those are obviously bolted on.

I would not call that a lot different, in fact I would call it functionally the same, even identical, just done, implemented, better on webOS.

That little strip is a duplication of the pull down notification bar on android, looks like they realize their notifications bar was uber cluttered and copied webOS.
    UH? the same its not even close one its not even part of the main screen. It has controls webos does not have without apps supplying them.

Its a complete independent display that supplies information when the main screen is off hardly the same as the webos notification area considering the notification area is just that for notifications. Devs have gone and made it useful by adding controls for things because there is no other way to do it in webos with out having a card open.

If you want to compare it to webos its more like the quick launch bar, notification area, and much more considering it works without the main screen being on.

But if you see it as the same by all means go ahead.
    Last edited by helidos; 11/11/2010 at 07:02 PM.
  6.    #6  
    the notification area is just that for notifications. Devs have gone and made it useful by adding controls for things because there is no other way to do it in webos with out having a card open.
    Not trying to be snarky, but you are dead wrong. the notification area has always had controls, from day one, just look at Pandora. It is part of the original architecture of the OS, even allowing headless apps (apps with no card UI) It is functionally the same and provides exactly the same capabilities as the separate screen, except it can be compressed.

I don't know whether the little screen can turn on with out the large screen, but how is that really different than turning on both screens at the same time? In both cases the information and controls is readily available.

There are nuance differences between the two, but both can perform the exact same function and for Samsung to claim it is the first to provide ready information and controls in that manner is BS.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    As others have pointed out, it's a separate screen, so your general thrust makes no sense.

I don't know whether the little screen can turn on with out the large screen
    Yes - see the video you linked, it has a grip sensor that turns on only that screen.
  8.    #8  
    As others have pointed out, it's a separate screen, so your general thrust makes no sense.
    I can see that I am the minority on this issue, but separate screen is not really relevant. It is a means for displaying small widget-like apps separate from and below main apps. There is no good reason to make this a different screen on the samsung device other than as a gimmick. functionally it is doing the exact same thing as the notifications area.

because it is a separate screen, it is limited to showing one mini app at a time, a limitation not shared by webOS. Your attention can only be in one place at a time, the mini apps or main apps, so there is no advantage to having a separate screen.

Yes - see the video you linked, it has a grip sensor that turns on only that screen.
    Turning on one screen or the entire screen does not functionally do any difference, in webOS you can see all widgets in the notifications area on the lock screen when you turn on the screen.

Android has to have this service on a different screen because it is designed after the desktop metaphor and doesn't allow part of the screen to dynamically adjust to display both a main app and widgets at the same time. Widgets are only allowed on the home screen.

I'm sticking to my guns, functionally these are the same services with slightly different implementations, Samsung should not claim they are the first to provide information and controls in tandem with a main app, webOS has done this from the beginning. Anybody back me up on this?
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  10.    #11  
    Finally, thanks for backing me up
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm a bit confused by that link - threads are duplicated over there but they have their own separate content?
  12.    #13  
    To me it looks like some one else started a thread similar to mine but in a different area, probably the competition, the mods moved my thread over there as well it looks like.
    I like the miniscreen. If I have enough scrolling widgets, and only have to glance @ a small screen, that would be great. (if I can only activate the lower screen)

I know that leaving my Pre's screen from 100% to 25% plays a major role in weather I'll have juice left @ the end of the day, or looking for a powersouce.

If I was able to control not turning the main display, and scroll my PreCentral & SciAmerican RSS feeds, Notifications, among other things, I think that will play a big role the future of battery consumption on mobile devices...
    because it is a separate screen, it is limited to showing one mini app at a time, a limitation not shared by webOS. Your attention can only be in one place at a time, the mini apps or main apps, so there is no advantage to having a separate screen.
    Besides the obvious power savings by allowing you to scroll through information in the notification area without powering up the main screen, this added feature goes way beyond simple notifications to added software controls (virtual buttons), program launcher, streaming information (like headlines or weather in multiple locations), PIM information, caller ID. It's an extension well beyond the Pre notification area technology and it doesn't give up valuable screen space to boot.
    It's an interesting concept, but there's no point in making it a separate screen. All you're really doing is limiting what you can do with that area, as opposed to making it a smaller section of a larger screen that you can then open up and utilize if you don't want to use a ticker or widget.

Bad design - no "big picture" thinking.

--MGb
    http://www.twitter.com/DeadTechnology - All things geeky (mostly Palm)
    http://www.twitter.com/oneminutecubs - All things Cubs
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Not trying to be snarky, but you are dead wrong. the notification area has always had controls, from day one, just look at Pandora. It is part of the original architecture of the OS, even allowing headless apps (apps with no card UI) It is functionally the same and provides exactly the same capabilities as the separate screen, except it can be compressed.
    Pandora is an app hence providing the controls you see. The notification dash board has no controls built into webos except for maybe the audio ones. There are patches people have created to add controls for email/mms notifications like delete etc. What though you said webos had controls for notification? So the notification dash board is nothing more than a place where notifications pop up and supply info or devs put some type of control in them that's it. It servers no other purpose no matter what is added to a notification by a patch or a dev. The notification dash board is equal to a fing annoying popup we block daily while browsing the web.

I don't know whether the little screen can turn on with out the large screen, but how is that really different than turning on both screens at the same time? In both cases the information and controls is readily available.
    You posted the link to the article and didn't watch the video with the ticker running and the main screen off its at the begging of the video. Its controled by a grip sensor.

There are nuance differences between the two, but both can perform the exact same function and for Samsung to claim it is the first to provide ready information and controls in that manner is BS.
    /facepalm

I can see that I am the minority on this issue, but separate screen is not really relevant. It is a means for displaying small widget-like apps separate from and below main apps. There is no good reason to make this a different screen on the samsung device other than as a gimmick. functionally it is doing the exact same thing as the notifications area.
    No its not how do you not see this... There are built in android controls on that screen/shortcuts/displayable info add in 3rd party app info etc and it it nothing like the little gray bar that pops up and goes dingdong: sent you a text message.

No advantage?? how about battery life increases a ton when you no longer have to turn on the main screen to read quick text from someone or get an alert from something etc. It has controls not taking up the main screen giving you more usable main screen space for other stuff. Its actually less intrusive than webos notifications and that is saying a lot because the main screen is unaffected by whats displayed on the ticker.

Turning on one screen or the entire screen does not functionally do any difference, in webOS you can see all widgets in the notifications area on the lock screen when you turn on the screen.
    Widgets webos does not have widgets.
    I guess you never had half your screen covered in notfications on webos?

Here's a pic

Ya awesome when half your screen is covered with notifcation pop ups.

I'm sticking to my guns, functionally these are the same services with slightly different implementations, Samsung should not claim they are the first to provide information and controls in tandem with a main app, webOS has done this from the beginning. Anybody back me up on this?
    Did you even read the article you linked???

Samsung claims the lower display is the world's first "ticker" on a smartphone—allowing you to watch a movie, take a call, or whatever else you please—while having access to secondary data, like stock prices and incoming texts.
    You can not watch full screen movie in webos and read incoming text messages because the notification pops up then disappears it also is limited in character space so if its a long one your SOL. The Samsung version allows you to keep watching that movie full screen and scroll through the text messages, or an email, turn off gps to save more battery because your watching a movie all while the movie continues to play full screen uninterrupted. Its not the same thing how are you failing to see this.
    I'm not sure about the point of this thread (especially the insinuation that this somehow copies webOS. My old sanyo dumb-phone (back in 2001) had a small screen separate from the main screen that gave me at-a-glance information. I think it was limited to caller-id and date/time info, don't really remember, but it was a "notification screen". Why is this about webOS when the technology is about a decade old?
    If Palm was smart they would use more real-estate and have the gesture area a ticker like that.

That is a separate amoled screen that saves battery and gives you information by just picking it up.

Sure Morestocks and weather dashboard function in a ticker like fashion but thats about it... the area is mostly used for play controls and notification.

I like samsungs idea better honestly.

I like androids notification because it doesn't take up any screen area like WebOS does.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    first off, to say the two idea aren't similar is ridiculous. The only fundmental differences are 1) that the continuum handles the notifications on a second screen and 2) the continuum ticker, for now, is limited stock apps.

other than those 2 differences the ideas are fundametally the same. WebOS from day one has allowed for 'controls' the notification area. There are several stock apps and plenty 3rd part apps that use this feature. I think Samsung has already done a better job with their stock apps in this regard, but it's a shame that this feature is limited to their stock apps. I would like to see palm officially expand on what you can do from the notification area instead of relying on patches.

wish WebOS notifications were handled on a separate screen because I don't like when my apps resized. I wouldn't mind if a portion of the gesture bar was a small screen of notification icons.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 11/12/2010 at 12:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast