Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1.    #21  
    software controls (virtual buttons), program launcher, streaming information (like headlines or weather in multiple locations), PIM information, caller ID.
    All of that can be done in the notifications area, just use mojo elements to do it. Problem is not whether or not is possible, but how often developers use it, However, I think you can find webOS example for all of those things you listed

    It's an interesting concept, but there's no point in making it a separate screen. All you're really doing is limiting what you can do with that area, as opposed to making it a smaller section of a larger screen that you can then open up and utilize if you don't want to use a ticker or widget.
    I agree

    Pandora is an app hence providing the controls you see. The notification dash board has no controls built into webos except for maybe the audio ones. There are patches people have created to add controls for email/mms notifications like delete etc. What though you said webos had controls for notification? So the notification dash board is nothing more than a place where notifications pop up and supply info or devs put some type of control in them that's it. It servers no other purpose no matter what is added to a notification by a patch or a dev. The notification dash board is equal to a fing annoying popup we block daily while browsing the web.
    You are wrong, the notifications are scenes just like the cards and can be programmed the same way a main card scenes can with as much abilities as makes sense for the small UI area, as demonstrated by patches, that is what a patch is, it is a modification to the scene code. Here are many examples of controls, information, launchers, tickers, ect. in the notifications area.

    No advantage?? how about battery life increases a ton when you no longer have to turn on the main screen
    You'll have to document the battery life thing, as I understand it, it is one large screen, with buttons painted in the middle of it. Perhaps they have the technology to only send power to specific pixels in the glass, but I suspect the rest of the screen is just painted black, show me the promise of less battery usage.

    It has controls not taking up the main screen giving you more usable main screen space for other stuff. Its actually less intrusive than webos notifications and that is saying a lot because the main screen is unaffected by whats displayed on the ticker.
    This will have to be a matter of opinion, but you can only attend to one set of info at a time, it doesn't really matter if the main screen is smaller when I am attending to the notifications area, and I am happy that the main screen takes up as much space as possible when I am attending to it, that is a very efficient arrangement

    That is a separate amoled screen that saves battery and gives you information by just picking it up.
    Not so, it is one 4 in screen with buttons painted over the top
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  2. #22  
    I guess you didn't read the article where it clearly stated, in 3 separate places, that the narrow screen is, in fact, a separate screen from the main screen.
  3.    #23  
    Please read this article

    From Engadget:

    "Update 2: Okay, we got some more info on that screen.The entire front of the phone is one huge four-inch screen, with the Android buttons more or less painted over the lower third -- the screen lights up underneath them in white to illuminate them. Samsung says it's just easier for marketing purposes to say it's two screens, but that they're selectively turning on the bottom portion of the display for the ticker. As far as battery life, it's a 1500mah battery that'll last about a day, we're told -- the lower screen turns on whenever a notification comes in, but since it's a smaller screen the battery life is on par with the Fascinate."

    Update 3: Added a quick macro pic of the buttons after the break -- you can see how it's just one big screen.
    Samsung Continuum first hands-on (update: video!) -- Engadget
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  4. #24  
    It's just a part of the screen that's dedicated to webOS-style ticker notifications.

    Plagiarism is a high form of flattery. Have any of you seen Engadget's supposed Nexus S? Damn if it's not a black pebble slate, despite moans about how bad the Pre looks because it doesn't have as many hard edges as a Droid...
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Pandora is an app hence providing the controls you see. The notification dash board has no controls built into webos except for maybe the audio ones. There are patches people have created to add controls for email/mms notifications like delete etc. What though you said webos had controls for notification? So the notification dash board is nothing more than a place where notifications pop up and supply info or devs put some type of control in them that's it. It servers no other purpose no matter what is added to a notification by a patch or a dev. The notification dash board is equal to a fing annoying popup we block daily while browsing the web.




    You posted the link to the article and didn't watch the video with the ticker running and the main screen off its at the begging of the video. Its controled by a grip sensor.



    /facepalm



    No its not how do you not see this... There are built in android controls on that screen/shortcuts/displayable info add in 3rd party app info etc and it it nothing like the little gray bar that pops up and goes dingdong: sent you a text message.




    No advantage?? how about battery life increases a ton when you no longer have to turn on the main screen to read quick text from someone or get an alert from something etc. It has controls not taking up the main screen giving you more usable main screen space for other stuff. Its actually less intrusive than webos notifications and that is saying a lot because the main screen is unaffected by whats displayed on the ticker.



    Widgets webos does not have widgets.
    I guess you never had half your screen covered in notfications on webos?

    Here's a pic


    Ya awesome when half your screen is covered with notifcation pop ups.



    Did you even read the article you linked???



    You can not watch full screen movie in webos and read incoming text messages because the notification pops up then disappears it also is limited in character space so if its a long one your SOL. The Samsung version allows you to keep watching that movie full screen and scroll through the text messages, or an email, turn off gps to save more battery because your watching a movie all while the movie continues to play full screen uninterrupted. Its not the same thing how are you failing to see this.

    I agree. Give credit where its due. I personally thing webos had an interesting idea with their notifications....however the fact that half the (tiny) screen gets covered when u unminimize 3 or more notifications was a GIANT turnoff for me. In this, you see notification without using up screen.

    Even if they blatantly copied webos's notifications.....im sure they will market it way better so it sells. Coming up with a great idea is step 1.....marketing it and MAKING people realize they want it is step 2.....

    Either way, i think this is an interesting implementation.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  6. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    All of that can be done in the notifications area, just use mojo elements to do it. Problem is not whether or not is possible, but how often developers use it, However, I think you can find webOS example for all of those things you listed
    /facepalm dude a dev adding in code to make the notifications do something different is not the same as the phone shipping with the features built in.

    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    You are wrong, the notifications are scenes just like the cards and can be programmed the same way a main card scenes can with as much abilities as makes sense for the small UI area, as demonstrated by patches, that is what a patch is, it is a modification to the scene code. Here are many examples of controls, information, launchers, tickers, ect. in the notifications area.
    /facepalm again... because my car can be modified to use a super charger does not mean it comes with the ability built in.

    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    You'll have to document the battery life thing, as I understand it, it is one large screen, with buttons painted in the middle of it. Perhaps they have the technology to only send power to specific pixels in the glass, but I suspect the rest of the screen is just painted black, show me the promise of less battery usage.
    How about common sense that lighting up only 1/8 of the display draws less current than the entire display. I sure the people who developed the screen SAMSUNG have the knowledge on how to only send juice to lower section of the screen. We are not talking about Palm here who grabs lcds off the somebody's shelf and go slap this in our phone K thanks. Samsung designed built and used there own screen.


    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    This will have to be a matter of opinion, but you can only attend to one set of info at a time, it doesn't really matter if the main screen is smaller when I am attending to the notifications area, and I am happy that the main screen takes up as much space as possible when I am attending to it, that is a very efficient arrangement
    Really? Then why have notification stacks stack on top of each other in webos then might as well then only come up one at a time since you can only digest one set of info at a time. Ya me too I love it when I about to hit send on my phone and 4 notification come through and make me waste time clearing them, because they are in my way brilliant idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Not so, it is one 4 in screen with buttons painted over the top
    Just read the update about the screen, cool its on giant slab with the ability to have different portions of the screen to be powered at different times again saving power.


    I done with this thread... I can only stand so many ***** *************
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Really? Then why have notification stacks stack on top of each other in webos then might as well then only come up one at a time since you can only digest one set of info at a time.
    If you can only "digest" one at a time, then why worry about the main screen?
  8. #28  
    notifcations is nothing new. i wouldnt even consider the galaxy as copying webos
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Please read this article
    Thanks for the clarification.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions