Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Bought my first Pre on June 6, got a replacement in November after the power button broke and here we are. The battery life is horrific, the build quality is dreadful and the overall quality of the phone seems to get worse by the day. HP and Sprint have basically given up on it, why shouldn't I? Honestly, my only obstacle in the way of buying an Epic is not allegiance to the Pre, but the $250 price tag for the Epic.

It's anyone's guess when the Pre will have OS 2...so I guess I'm asking, is there any conceivable reason not to jump ship?
    I am going through this process right now. I said enough was enough today and went and grabbed an epic and am in the process of setting it up right now.

I've had the pre since launch and have been a member here for as long, I dont post on here very often but check it regularly to see if any new announcements have been made and what new tricks the homebrewers have made to make my pre that much better. I sincerely thank you all for that.

Everyone thinks Im obsessed with the pre and the Sprint people were quite surprised to see me in buying an android after I had been so against them in the past and had always been holding out on a new and better palm.

Setting it up so far has been not easy and I don't think I am even close to having it customized as easily as my pre was. Mode switcher was by far one of the best patches for the pre and I just downloaded Tasker for the Android... took one look and felt lost with all the options that it has.

I'm sure it will get easier but right now I feel like waking up early and getting my money back and staying with what I know and what I feel comfortable with and that was the pre.
    I had the Pre since launch week, and went to EVO a couple of weeks ago. If you could do without a physical keyboard, then go with this. I think it's a little cheaper than the Epic right now, and you're still getting a top of the line model.

Pull the plug on that toy.
    I was considering it too. I only held off so far because the Epic has the same oreo issues as the Pre, and it's too bulky.

+ with all the great phones due to come out of CES, Palm won't be the only one to hold out for. Why lose your Premier discount now, when in 4 months you have a chance to get an even better phone, but you'll be stuck for a year.

Hold off man. Give 2.0 a chance first. Don't spend your cash just yet. Patience is a virtue.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pag78 View Post
    I'm sure it will get easier but right now I feel like waking up early and getting my money back and staying with what I know and what I feel comfortable with and that was the pre.
    well, the way I look at is we've got 30 days to decide whether we like this thing enough to keep it and if not we can always go back to the Pre. personally, I never bothered with any of the homebrew stuff or any hacks because I never warmed to the Pre to the point that I wanted to tinker with its functionality. I've noticed that starting this summer, the phone just got progressively worse and worse, and I grew tired of trying to make excuses for the constant required reboots and the horrendous battery life.

as far as WebOS 2.0, that's grand, but the Palm Pre is the primary problem, not the OS. It's hard to fathom waiting around for a new WebOS phone to make its way to Sprint, particularly since Sprint and WebOS don't seem to figure in each other's plans.
    Just plussed my pre and it's better with verizon hardware.

Evo's nice but I would wait to see what comes out in a month or two if I were you.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Even if amazing palm hardware comes out tomorrow, it is still going to have the same anemic app catalog.
    Well then you have no idea what the pre can really be and you would be blown away by even webos2.0 speed at 1ghz, much less anything better being announced in Jan. Not sure why you wouldn't homebrew at this point, it's so darn easy and your out of warranty anyway. Give it a shot, I think it would spice things up enough for you to at least hold out til CES. I was considering the Epic, but have they even released the latest android version for it. I still worry about updates with Samsung especially with Android gingerbread 3.0 likely released at CES. The epic could potentially be two android versions behind.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I have homebrewed since day one and overclock. It is sill laggy and you can still get one step ahead of it. And again, threr is still the poor selection of apps in the catalog. If you are on sprint and want a keyboard, you can't go wrong with the epic. "true multitasking" is not a good enough reason to stay.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Next gen Palm device on Sprint or not, we are too close to CES at this point to spend money on something that will be out of date in 2 months. Wait to see what is going to be announced in January.

At least that is what I'm doing.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    despite my rants I am waiting as long as my pre still works.
    Just a quick question about marketing. I see Epic commercials all the time. They show some clip fro a non-existent B-movie, then a voiceover say "Movies just got better with the Epic 4G." I have no idea what they are trying to advertise.

Every phone can display movies. Every phone can stream movies. They end the commercial with someone typing sprint.com/epic. Every phone has a web browser. There is nothing about the site that has to do with movies, as far as I know. What is that commercial trying to promote? Thanks
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    It's been 9 days since I had my Epic 4G and I gotta say. I do miss the Pre but the apps not just the number but the companies that are putting them out are putting the nail in the coffin for the Pre. My Bank, My Car Insurance, My Cable TV all got Apps. Pre don't have that. Mail, calendar, and contacts all intergrated and sync just what I required before switching. Now I just found out the keyboard on the Epic is obsolete now that I found out how to swype instead of type. I think its a done deal im just having too much fun with this phone
    Last edited by NYBKPRE; 11/11/2010 at 08:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBKPRE View Post
    It's been 9 days since I had my Epic 4G and I gotta say. I do miss the Pre but the apps not just the number but the companies that are putting them out are putting the nail in the coffin for the Pre. My Bank, My Car Insurance, My Cable TV all got Apps. Pre don't have that. Now I just found out the keyboard on the Epic is obsolete now that I found out how to swype instead of type. I think its a done deal im just having too much fun with this phone
    How was the transition to the virtual keyboard? I tried swype yesterday and still am not convinced.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    How was the transition to the virtual keyboard? I tried swype yesterday and still am not convinced.
    Swype's awesome and the Epic is too.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Not that is matters to anyone, but my patience is running out. Love my pre, love webOS but it's starting to feel like a Mac in the late 90's: totally awesome interface, very user friendly, but not enough people are using it to make it all it could be (lack of apps, lack of market share, etc..).
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Wife got an Epic a few weeks ago and its a pretty nice device. The availability of what I like to call "source apps" (banks, insurance, printers, etc..) is a big plus. She was a qwerty queen but is using swipe alot. Yes the keyboard has an Oreo effect but I believe all spring loaded slide-outs will to some degree. Pulled out her old "Rant" and it did too. The speed is phenomenal, extra storage is a plus and the screen size is pretty cool.

I cant wait for a quality built WebOS product to hit the Market. No plus's, no "2's", something NEW! I love my Pre but now that Sprint has tossed them to the side and Im due for a new phone, if something happens... I will probably go to the Epic (A horrible thought a month ago), and wait for the dream Palm to come out. Please HP.. Im not the only one in this sinking boat. Throw us a lifeline, som USN spam to the Carnival Ship.. something!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Tasker is definitely difficult to learn, but very powerful. Try their wiki - they have some nice tutorials and some sample profiles/tasks. Definitely not a user-friendly piece of software but easy enough to get the simple things done that mode switcher would do and very powerful should someone choose to create something more advanced.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    How was the transition to the virtual keyboard? I tried Swype yesterday and still am not convinced.
    From the Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks section on Keyboards,try SwiftKey...

I am loving the SwiftKey keyboard. It is as fast as Swype but with no learning curve. How it works is that it learns how you write and gets better and better at predicting the next word that you will type. It gives you its best three predictions. Either keep typing whatever you were going to type of tap one of the predictions. SwiftKey works on any Android phone including the EVO and Epic.

For those that are transitioning from webOS to Android, here's the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. It shows the 100+ webOS patches that Google has included in Android, multitasking, notifications, etc.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    A few questions for anyone who has done the Pre to Epic transition...

1) As someone who uses the Pre's online backup, how difficult is it to move contacts from the Pre to the Epic?

2) Is it possible to easily move Memos from the Pre to the Epic?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast