Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The early reviews are in - Windows Phone 7 is pretty decent and the first iteration of the hardware is solid. The WP7 app store is up and running with major titles. Microsoft is reportedly going to spend $500M marketing between the Kinect and WP7.

So, in addition to Android, iOS and RIM, we now have a solid entry in WP7. If nothing else we have at least three must-have platforms for developers seeking the widest audiences.

What is left for HP Palm to accomplish next year? Even if the hardware is solid and webOS 2.0 is sold people are going to say "nice" and pick one of the majors. This isn't 2009 - nobody is looking to crown an iPhone Killer just for the sake of doing so. There are great software choices, great hardware choices and great hardware-software combinations out there already.

Whatever you may think of the iPAQ it, at least ran Windows Mobile and you could get software for it.
    I agree with you in the sense that: there are now a ton of good smartphone options out there. Apple set the bar, and thanks in large part to google, the rest of the field has just about caught up. I think the differentiator moving forward will be: who can give a seemless OS experience across multiple platforms. I think that HP believes that only Apple, microsoft and HP can hope to accomplish that.

This is all my speculation of course but, there you have it...
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquatsrus View Post
    [url= Phone 7 initial sales estimates underwhelming - TechSpot News[/url]

seems like it isn't quite a success either
    yeah it's not selling well and it's got good hardware and getting decent review, so that might not be a good sign for webOS.
    I know market saturation for smart phones is still considered low. However, maybe there just isn't enough demand yet, to support so many different models and eco systems?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The early reviews are in - Windows Phone 7 is pretty decent and the first iteration of the hardware is solid. The WP7 app store is up and running with major titles. Microsoft is reportedly going to spend $500M marketing between the Kinect and WP7.

So, in addition to Android, iOS and RIM, we now have a solid entry in WP7. If nothing else we have at least three must-have platforms for developers seeking the widest audiences.
    You are pretty quick to call the new Windows platform a success. It's only been a few days. I think it's too early to give them a place on the medals platform. Unless you are projecting your hopes into your analysis.

Why I'm returning my Windows Phone 7 smartphone | Mobile platforms - InfoWorld
    Well, I don't think that anyone really expected Microsoft to roll over and give, so it's no surprise that they're putting some major effort into getting back in the game. webOS certainly has a long climb to capture any major mind share at this point, but the good news is they have excellent software and major HP muscle behind them.

There's some feeling that the hardware evolution is slowing down ... pretty soon everyone will have a 4" screen with max pixels for that size and a 1 ghz processor. So then the difference will be mostly in software, and that's a good difference for webOS IMO.
    WebOS's future lies in cheap 10" tablets. Both the Gtab and Playbook are too small. And there's always room to undercut premium Apple.

That should be HP's main focus along with getting 3rd party apps. Maybe webOS phones can benefit later from any tablet success. But no reason to buy a palm smartphone right now.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Yeeah, I read it but his biggest gripe is with non-encryption and a lower gripe an inability to fix the phone to a static IP. I don't think we can do either of those, no?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    WebOS's future lies in cheap 10" tablets. Both the Gtab and Playbook are too small. And there's always room to undercut premium Apple.
    I'm not sure about that. Android tablet OEMs seem to be having a hard time even matching Apple's price structure. I do agree that webOS has a better chance of surviving as a tablet OS, though.

Man, these are interesting times. I never thought I'd say that Apple had the lowest cost of entry to anything.
    Time will tell whether WP7 can carve a decent market share.
    Could go either way IMHO.

But it's certainly way too early to declare it a "must-have platform" for developers. For now it has a fraction of webos market share - let alone Android, IOS, BB or Symbian (WinMo is incompatible and has been end-of-lifed by MS - which BTW might have ****ed-off a lot of old MS cstomers whoo invested into that platform - clunky as it was).

Personally I don't see what's compelling about WP7. And don't just look at the spec lists to evaluate hardware. Just read a review about one of the models (Samsung? forgot the model) which turns out to have sub-par display and crappy camera quality.

The OS itself - the tiles are restricted to simple colors - might appeal to some - but possibly not widely popular after all.
    Copy/Paste will come later. Multi-tasking - restricted to MS and some select partners who get access.
    The browser is based on an older version of IE - and - according to said review - lacking in features (no flash either).

Sure - if best integration with MS products is of paramount importance - I can see how MS will ensure that WP7 will be good at that.

It's way better than WinMo was - but winning *that* competition won't be enough.
    It's new, it's original in some ways - but I don't see why I would want one over a webos device. And why would IPhone or Android users want to switch?

And until the wp7 app store gets into 5 figures WP7 will have the same problem as webos - IOS and Android have the big app stores with the mega selection of apps.
    Last edited by tholap; 11/10/2010 at 08:16 PM.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    IDK, there is room for both WP7 and webOS... People get caught up in nubers, but look at android. The "OS" is outselling apple's, but the phone maker's are maybe doubling webOS phone sales. There is an article talking about "doom and gloom" for android phone makers, not gonna post it here, look it up. Anyhow, there is room for many smart phone OS' atm. I am sure if anyone can do it, MS. And HP are up to the task.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post

What is left for HP Palm to accomplish next year? Even if the hardware is solid and webOS 2.0 is sold people are going to say "nice" and pick one of the majors. This isn't 2009 - nobody is looking to crown an iPhone Killer just for the sake of doing so. There are great software choices, great hardware choices and great hardware-software combinations out there already.

Whatever you may think of the iPAQ it, at least ran Windows Mobile and you could get software for it.
    I understand where you're coming from for the most part. However wp7 isn't going to destroy any os so soon. It's still in it's infancy. WebOS' only problem is no 'must have' hardware. HP has just as many partners they can push hardware to and probably just as many engineers to help with development. Don't forget that they're the #1 selling pc maker. Add to that such companies as nuTsie and the palm "hurricane" or whatever the name of their pad will be, and i see the same type of ecosystem as microsoft is aiming for. Imagine being able to buy an hp laptop/desktop that comes preloaded with nutsie and get a future palm device with it free. Or maybe a year of that particular media program free? Trust me when i say that hp/palm will be right in the thick of things come next year. Plus the webos knock-off blackberry playbook won't launch until 1st quarter next year. So it basically will be going head-to-head with palm's pad so it wont be like hp is coming with something old next year. Watch at CES in January HP/Palm announce a whole suite of devices/partners/programs all to be released together with (more than likely) webos 2.1 or something close.
    I think WebOS has a chance in the smartphone market, but maybe not as a super phone. I still think they need to release a super phone -- get the tech community buzzing -- but the Pre 2 (and other smaller, but powerful) devices have a chance to get more people into the smart phone market. I can imagine soccer mom's using the Pre 2 to keep up with the family and her busy schedule. I can see people who just need a good, simple phone with some other solid features -- like web browsing, facebook, text messaging -- buying the Pre 2. Ever wonder how the Wii was (and still is) successful? It's because Nintendo created new gaming consumers. HP with WebOS can expand the market while everyone else try's to get iPhone's customers. If HP tries to do that with WebOS Phones, then they can be successful.

And Windows Phone 7 needs to bring some new things. Xbox Live integration was a great start, but we need new things to be excited about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Yeeah, I read it but his biggest gripe is with non-encryption and a lower gripe an inability to fix the phone to a static IP. I don't think we can do either of those, no?
    That may be true, but how do those omissions vault Windows into a "must have" platform on the level of iOS and RIM (as per the the drift of the OP). It may be great, but it's too early to crown them as a success.
    I ll tell ya what,with 80 percent of cell phone users in this country NOT using smartphones,any one of these os's can take over and be number 1. All it's going to take in this day and age is the right phone for the right PRICE.
    Keyboards. People with touch screens want keyboards and small designs. A landscape sliding pre would be a huge hit I am almost positive. However a solid pre 2 will be good. However most dumbphone buyers are looking in the 50 dollar range thus it would really need to start off at 100 and eventually lower to 50. Not gonna gain huge dumbphone adoptera at 150-200 bucks because these people don't care enough about the features to pay that much. This is why pre 2 is an excellent idea if priced right. Get a bunch of NEW users, then get us loyal users our superphones!
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    but the Pre 2 (and other smaller, but powerful) devices have a chance to get more people into the smart phone market. I can imagine soccer mom's using the Pre 2 to keep up with the family and her busy schedule. I can see people who just need a good, simple phone with some other solid features -- like web browsing, facebook, text messaging -- buying the Pre 2.

We are back to fairies and magic again, the pre was rejected by the market, why is the Pre 2 suddenly going to be a success when it's being released like the red-head stepchild with no marketing push and no support from the carriers?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    We are back to fairies and magic again, the pre was rejected by the market, why is the Pre 2 suddenly going to be a success when it's being released like the red-head stepchild with no marketing push and no support from the carriers?
    It's not even released here in the states yet... We'll talk after it's released .. If still no marketing than you know that this was just a test run of materials and equiptment , and to see how well hp and palm can work together.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast