Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That's too bad, because it was a pretty good read.

I didn't say creatives don't want to use something as powerful as PS; I said they don't want to learn it. There is a big difference. Ultimately, creatives want to create. They don't want to have to spend too much time fiddling with the tools.

As a musician, my first serious DAW was based on Vegas Audio back in the day. It was expensive, complicated, and very hard to use, at least, I thought so until I discovered Pro Tools. I spent years becoming proficient with technical issues that had little to do with making music. Anyone who could come along and offer me a way to decrease the learning curve and just make music would earn my technology-bound dollars.

Keep in mind, I was technically savvy. Most creatives are not. PS is a powerful and magical tool. But, I get the feeling that the people who made it were engineers and not artists. The same goes for most of the tools designed for other creatives. Apple succeeds in this market because they design tools for creatives, by creatives. That vibe seems to resinate with creatives.

No one makes the perfect tool that allows for intimate creative efficiency, but Apple seems to be trying to move in that direction. If you have to use PS, you might as well use it on a Mac. Most of the advertising business seems to agree.
    The disconnect here is that you haven't really cited Apple's "design tools for creatives by creatives" other than tha OS and hardware of the iPhone, which no one here really disagrees with. OSX is not an inherently creative operating system. I stay away from it for likely the same reason thgat "creatives" stay with it: That is what they are comfortable with because their peers were and it's what they know, just as I am comfortable with Windows because my peers knew it.

You gave the example of looking for an intuitive DAW (digital audio workstation software, for the civilians following this conversation). But the reason why "creatives" have been using Apple so much for music is that when the DAW was still maturing on PC, Apple was easier due to its lack of options in hardware, so it made it easy for companies to fine tune their software for that rather narrow platform. The PC equivalents had dozens of different drivers, audio cards, and hardware interfaces to code for. So naturally, there were more stability issues. But that was also a strength of the PC platform, because it gave new producers and musicians more choices particularly in hip-hop production. Fruity Loops is a great example of a creative tool made by creatives but only for PC. This software changed the hip-hop production game because kids who couldn't afford a full MPC drum machine could download this software and do real beats. It democratized hip-hop production by removing a significant barrier to entry and ushered in new blood ranging from the simple pop rap of Soulja Boy to the traditional boom-bap of 9th Wonder.

Apple's contributions in this area consist of Garageband - which is actually nice, but derivative tool - and Logic, which they purchased from a company that made it cross-platform with very few issues prior.

Meanwhile I can name smaller programs and VSTs galore on PC that made it easier for me and a lot of other guys to get in the industry. We're creatives and use creative tools just like big name guys with G5 towers and Cinema displays in the studio. We just took different routes. There's nothing inherently creative about either company. There was just a story this week on how the Kinect developers wanted to go with Apple, but the Apple culture was controlling and difficult, and they found a much better fit at Microsoft. Even THOSE guys bought into the "Apple is a better place for creative stuff like this" canard, but they found it quite different in reality.

They're just companies. But because of their different approaches, these stereotypical divisions have formed amongst their respective demographics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    I stoped ...
    How ironic. That's where I stopped reading your post.
    Not to take away from how cool Fruity Loops is for aspiring producers but I could swear I read somewhere that 9th graduated to using Pro Tools on a Mac now.

Getting even more oldschool, it looks like ReBirth is out for the iPad now and it looks incredible.
    Maybe if we change "creative" to "hipster sheep wishing to have their blood sucked by the vampire formerly known as Steve Jobs" then I will go along with what you are saying, but i guess we all have a different version of "creative". I consider people like Jason Robitaille to be more creative than Hannah Montana or Adam Lambert, but feel free to disagree.
    That's really a left brain vs right brain argument though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    How ironic. That's where I stopped reading your post.
    SpeLingNasi FTW... Something tells me you finished reading it so stopp with your lies

There are different types of people with different skill sets, but I personally would define creative as coming up with answers or ideas that are original and out of the box. From my limited experience I would have to say that coding may be very right brain, but in order to make something functional it takes a lot of the left.
    The main reason why things are developed for iOS is because they were the first to create an environment where developers could make money and now have a solid install base. Its the same old VHS-Beta Max argument the only difference is there is no pron involved sadly.
    Maybe if we change "creative" to "hipster sheep wishing to have their blood sucked by the vampire formerly known as Steve Jobs" then I will go along with what you are saying, but i guess we all have a different version of "creative". I consider people like Jason Robitaille to be more creative than Hannah Montana or Adam Lambert, but feel free to disagree.
    Jay uses Apple, btw.

^^ Echofon is Mac/iPhone ^^
    My personal bias has nothing to do with Jason Robitaille. I never insinuated that i knew him nor his likes and dislikes. I referenced him because i admire his accomplishments and with the article on the front page it was timely, but not for his personal preferences.

I merely stated my take on creativity and how my sliding scale works.
    My personal bias has nothing to do with Jason Robitaille. I never insinuated that i knew him nor his likes and dislikes. I referenced him because i admire his accomplishments and with the article on the front page it was timely, but not for his personal preferences.

I merely stated my take on creativity and how my sliding scale works.
    Well, you kind of did when you made this blanket statement:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12