Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looks like Microsoft did their homework and got the folks at Slingmedia energized to support their newest mobile phone platform: Slingplayer Mobile for Windows Phone 7. Looks like a dedicated iPad version is just around the corner too.

While hardly a defining reason, Slingplayer is one of the reasons I don't stick with webOS devices - and symptomatic of webOS' low market share.
    Kupe, isn't it about time you stopped bridge dwelling and left this forum?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Kupe, isn't it about time you stopped bridge dwelling and left this forum?
    Hi Pip! Are you referring to the "Cross-Platform Chat" forum that links in from Treo Central? Why all the animosity? Isn't this the forum where we discuss cross-platform features?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hi Pip! Are you referring to the "Cross-Platform Chat" forum that links in from Treo Central? Why all the animosity? Isn't this the forum where we discuss cross-platform features?
    Not unless it shines a light on WebOS in the comparison, reality be damned. Gotta support the "home team", you know...
    I wonder why some of these people even come to cross chat.
    Which Treo do you have?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Which Treo do you have?
    Is that now a condition of membership?
    Webos is starting to become Whine-OS

Thats why it's good to have more than one OS.
    Lost in the territorial ****ing is the fact that Kupe brings up an interesting point -- SlingPlayer is just the latest app in the long line of popular products that don't exist on webOS.

From a third party development point of view, webOS becomes more irrelevant by the day. HP needs to get on this pretty much yesterday. webOS' reputation of being something to avoid if you want to watch movies on Netflix or stream content from your SlingBox is absolutely poisonous.
    But isn't WP7 brand spanking new starting from zero marketshare? How could they get big name apps like that? This is supposedly why HP/palm doesn't have them.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But isn't WP7 brand spanking new starting from zero marketshare? How could they get big name apps like that? This is supposedly why HP/palm doesn't have them.
    Well leaving aside the "we will pay you" issue, it's potential - nobody (well big businesses) buys into the idea that WebOS will grow, there was a little spark when it was launched but everything since has been such a car-crash that it's gone. What's harder for WebOS is that it now has to try and catch up while shaking off it's image as a failed OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What's harder for WebOS is that it now has to try and catch up while shaking off it's image as a failed OS.
    THAT!!!

webOS was giving a fair shot at a first impression. Once a first impression has been made, you will spend much of the post first impression time either enjoying the benefits of having made a good one, or paying the price for not pulling it off. This is where webOS is in the eyes of the general public. It can be repaired...but it is by no means a trivial task.

Deiter mentioned in one of the Podcasts that Palm seems to have focused on the things they do best and made them a little better. That's all good. Unfortunately it's what they don't do well that is dragging them down. I'm not really impressed by "Stacks", but even if you are, you've got to ask yourself this: What good are stacks if you have nothing to stack? You are trying to make multi-tasking better but forgetting to get "multiple tasks" available on your platform.
    well if webos is so failed and dead then why are you here?

exactly!...kupe and his gang of 'sllort presence here proves its not a failed OS....obviously the interest is still here because you're still here waiting for CES like the rest of us webos fans!

and when CES arrives we already know that you will be here to trash webos 2.0 devices for another year until webos 3.0 comes out....so we are ready for another year of your hater crap and we already know your crappy "this is the cross-platform area of precentral" excuse so you dont need to say it again ...
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    This is actually a good question. As we know, MS just flat out paid developers to make stuff for them. In reality, developers have no more interest in WP7 than they have in wOS. It is just that HP chose to bribe developers in a less effective way.

HP pushes the iPhone game porting system, and tells developers that porting is an easy source of free money. They enhance the deal with silly contests. These contests are specifically for ports, not native code. Absurd! Since they're spending the money anyway, why didn't they just target important developers and pay them to write native apps for wOS? IMO, they even botched up bribing developers. Who comes up with this stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is actually a good question. As we know, MS just flat out paid developers to make stuff for them. In reality, developers have no more interest in WP7 than they have in wOS. It is just that HP chose to bribe developers in a less effective way.
    True but in this day and age, a platform faces a true chicken and egg problem. If they don't get developers on board, they don't get popular. If they are not popular, they won't get developers on board. So "something" has to be done by the platform to break this paradox of sorts. "Bribing" developers is not a bad thing in this case because there are already more popular choices out there for developers to target.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    HP pushes the iPhone game porting system, and tells developers that porting is an easy source of free money. They enhance the deal with silly contests. These contests are specifically for ports, not native code. Absurd! Since they're spending the money anyway, why didn't they just target important developers and pay them to write native apps for wOS? IMO, they even botched up bribing developers. Who comes up with this stuff?
    Actually, I don't think the contest was restricted to ports. At least the first contest (the non-PDK one) wasn't. The contest may not have been fair to the native guys though because there was an unfair advantage given to ports. Again, I see nothing wrong with paying the developers (i.e. making it worth their effort given the choices available to them). They need this for marketing and is really not much different from say Nike paying MJ. In the end, they need it in order to bring in customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    "Bribing" developers is not a bad thing in this case because there are already more popular choices out there for developers to target.
    I'm pretty sure we are in heated agreement. Now that I have downed a medium, vanilla, McDonald's milkshake, I can be a bit more clear.

There is nothing wrong with bribing developers. I don't have a moral problem with that if that's what it takes. My problem is the way Palm, then HP when about doing it. They could have taken that opportunity to advance MOJO, by showing off what it could really do. All they had to do was pay for development of key apps to show it off and get the ball rolling.

Instead, they made a game out of the serious business of attracting important developers. What did they get in return? A few iPhone games. Do developers even know about MOJO, and other Palm initiatives? Does anybody? Instead, Palm users are left to begging developers to please spare a few cycles to write something for them.

MS just gave up on the idea of attracting developers and bought them outright. That cold, hard calculation has paid dividends for them in terms of launching their platform. HP's strategy seems juvenile by comparison. The reason wOS is still waiting for Sling is that HP hasn't assumed the position and spread their wallets to get it.
    LOL, OK, I think I missed your point. Sorry. And I do agree that Palm thought if they could just plug into Apple they'd come out on top. They tried it with iTunes sync then tried it with the PDK. So far, it does not seem to be working. Now people are waiting for hybrid apps and can't get any because Palm thought it was more important to get their hands on some iOS games.
  18.    #18  
    One of the issues highlighted by this announcement is the whole SDK business. WP7 has had their SDK out for months now (released last March) leaving plenty of time for developers to produce products in time for their launch. Palm, after nearly 2 years, is still struggling to release what most OSes would consider a basic, functional SDK.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Which Treo do you have?
    The Treo 700wx. It's in a drawer...right next to my Pre Plus.
    I know Dandbj13 wants to bury Microsoft and exhalt Apple every chance he gets, but the "developers have no interest in Windows Phone 7 except for money" canard is demonstrably false.

It is a platform that has appeal aside from paychecks, and a good part of it is the development tools, which I have heard from several developers - including the mobile ones at my company coding our iOS, Android and WP7 apps - are the best in the business right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast