Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On wpcentral.com, they mention the Wp7 catalog is almost at 2000 apps (and it only launched here in the U.S. and Canada today!). WebOS is maybe around 5000 apps, is that right?

What I am concerned about is that the WP7 app catalogue may already be better than WebOS's. After all, it seems WP7 is getting alot of 'big-name' apps, some of which aren't even available for WebOS yet!

What do you think?
    I agree...this WP7 launch looks impressive and may be the final straw for me...been waiting for a Slingplayer app and begging Slingmedia to produce one and they have one all wrapped up with a bow for WP7 on launch day...
    Don't get me started!

What Palm should have done was to take the hundreds of developers for PalmOS and find a way to port apps from the old catalogue. They didn't. Okay, rant over.

I think HP should open up their wallet and just pay for app developers to develop for WebOS.

Maybe they already have. I hope so.

I think if the next Palm phones are compelling phones, and people buy more of them, then WebOS has a shot at attracting more devs. But that's not a sure thing.

And if HP is depending on a WebOS tablet, well, then they better get on it!

The big thing that WebOS has over Win Phone 7 right now is multitasking. You can start off with 2000 games, but if you have to quit a game to send an email and then wait 3 minutes for it to start up again, then it won't matter how many games they have in their app store.
    I suspect that if you hit the back button to get back to your game, or even maybe open the app again, it might open where you left off. I'm not sure, but they prbably have a save screen state
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I suspect that if you hit the back button to get back to your game, or even maybe open the app again, it might open where you left off. I'm not sure, but they prbably have a save screen state
    Nope. The Engadget guys talked about this on their podcast. If you leave the game it quits. You lose your progress, everything. And they said that games take a full 3 minutes to load. They said that when Microsoft was showing them a game, they had to eventually put the phone down and go to another phone that had the game already loaded because it was taking so long.

Trust me, I like what MS is doing with Phone 7, but they better have a plan for true multitasking, or else...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Nope. The Engadget guys talked about this on their podcast. If you leave the game it quits. You lose your progress, everything. And they said that games take a full 3 minutes to load. They said that when Microsoft was showing them a game, they had to eventually put the phone down and go to another phone that had the game already loaded because it was taking so long.

Trust me, I like what MS is doing with Phone 7, but they better have a plan for true multitasking, or else...
    Not necessarily true, you can resume gameplay where you left off, depends on the app itself.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I am, therefore I think

yeah that doesn't sound good at all. But yeah, it would work if they just paused it and you could back-button back to it.
    Haha they have Shazam also.

O wait we don't =(
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Not necessarily true, you can resume gameplay where you left off, depends on the app itself.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I may have miss heard them, but I won't consider Win p 7 until they can multitask like WebOS. That's why I have this phone in the first place.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    WP7 is like similar to iOS 3 all first party apps can multitask, thrid party apps on the other hand will not until they feel it is worth the cost to enable it.

Straight from the horses mouth. Scroll down and listen to the audio.

Also during the recent engadget show it was gone over again and they said they would rather do only a few things great rather than many half baked. But better multitasking is on the road map just not for the release.
    Well, from the sounds of it, right now, multitasking is half baked in WP 7. I had some interest in it, but not now.
    considering all the microsoft apps- zune, office, bing, hotmail, and the big name apps like netflix, shazam, sling player, etc. I would say YES, the MS. App store is better that webOS.

hp, have you shelled out the big bucks yet?
    Correction on multitasking in WP 7. Apparently if your in a game and your phone locks, when you unlock the phone, you have to load the entire game again.

Don't forget, this is HP's tablet move as well. If they're serious about WebOS, then they're working as we speak to get more development on the platform. If they're serious being the key phrase.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Well, from the sounds of it, right now, multitasking is half baked in WP 7. I had some interest in it, but not now.
    Its not half baked, WP7 is a modern multitasking OS but for only thing MS says can multitask.

Kinda how palm doesn't allow 3rd party access to the camera/mic. Same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Its not half baked, WP7 is a modern multitasking OS but for only thing MS says can multitask.

Kinda how palm doesn't allow 3rd party access to the camera/mic. Same thing.
    I thought Ms. Has absolutely no multitasking apps other than it's own (like old iOS) whereas atleast for microphone there is non palm access allowed, just not standardized publicly acknolwedged api.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I thought Ms. Has absolutely no multitasking apps other than it's own (like old iOS) whereas atleast for microphone there is non palm access allowed, just not standardized publicly acknolwedged api.
    Yes it mainly MS apps that can use multitasking, video below shows the offical twitter apps ability to multitask even though its only saved state but its there. So again like palm MS is choosing who can use which parts of the OS like they did with the PDK big companies get access first then the *&(( rolls down him to the little guys

YouTube - coolsmartphone's Channel
    MS, unlike HP/Palm, has listened to what the market place and customers want.
    Just read that Microsoft is expecting to top 3000 apps by the weekend. At this pace, they're probably going to have a larger app store than HP by the middle of December - just in time for Christmas shopping.

People around here like to dismiss the surprising success of Microsoft's app store as "well, duh, Microsoft is paying developers to write apps for Windows Phone 7" but it's not that simple. Microsoft is doing a lot of promotion for third party apps and making it a platform that is actually worth developing for.

The developer community is placing some big bets with Windows Phone this holiday, so I want to take a minute to highlight a few things we’re doing to further promote their apps and games.

1. Find Windows Phone 7 Apps & Games on Bing Visual Search (pictured): We’re using our own popular Bing decision engine to further showcase developers’ Windows Phone 7 apps through Bing’s Visual Search capabilities in the US and UK. This allows anyone with a browser to easily find, view and access the growing list of apps and games available for Windows Phones.

2. Promoting Windows Phone 7 Apps & Games on Xbox 360 (pictured): Last week Microsoft announced that it had sold more than 1 million Kinect devices for Xbox 360 in the first 10 days of availability, adding to the 45 million Xbox 360 consoles already sold. Windows Phone devices, apps and games are now prominent features of the Xbox dashboard that people see on their televisions when they start Xbox and view tabs such as the Spotlight category.

3. Windows Phone 7 Apps & Games on Windowsphone.com (pictured). Microsoft.com is one of the most frequented portals on the Web and Windowsphone.com is the starting point for all things Windows Phone. This site now features an “apps” tab that takes viewers to a Marketplace page that delivers a dynamic list of “featured” and “top free” apps and games. Furthermore, these lists are localized for several markets including: Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Singapore, Spain, U.K., and the U.S.

4. Campaigns featuring Windows Phone 7 Apps & Games. The introduction of Windows Phone 7 is being supported by an extensive marketing and advertising campaign in several major markets around the world. Apps, games and Marketplace are prominent features of our integrated communication activity.

5. Windows Phone Marketplace on Zune PC software (pictured). With the international expansion of the Zune music and video service on Xbox LIVE, Windows PC and of course Windows Phone, the Zune PC software is now on more screens and in more markets than ever. With every update and download of the Zune PC software, customers are seeing the latest music, videos and apps for Windows Phone in a single well organized desktop experience.

In addition to the things we’re doing to promote apps and games for Windows Phone 7, we’ve added a few features that developers can use to better market their apps and games. For example, developers can now add “deep links” to their Web sites and other marketing material, taking customers directly to the specific app or game purchase page, on either their phone or the Zune PC software, in a single click.
    These are the things developers want to hear. Solid commitment rather than the occasional email or tweet from a user asking for a port.
    MS is also very good with development tools.

I mean, if its one thing that MS is good at its that.
    I hear it repeated (here and elsewhere) that one of the roadblocks to implementing apps is with the architecture - that its easy for a rooter to go into an app's code and change permissions (essentially making a trial app last forever, or enabling hidden paid app features).

First, is this true?

Second, is there are a solution for this, or is it just going to be the way it is?

Seems this is a huge impediment to app development if this is true.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast