Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I hear it repeated (here and elsewhere) that one of the roadblocks to implementing apps is with the architecture - that its easy for a rooter to go into an app's code and change permissions (essentially making a trial app last forever, or enabling hidden paid app features).

First, is this true?

Second, is there are a solution for this, or is it just going to be the way it is?

Seems this is a huge impediment to app development if this is true.
    I can use Internalz (an on-device file manager) to easily bypass any app's trial restrictions. It literally takes maybe 20 seconds... So yes, it is very easy to do what you are talking about (as long as it isn't a PDK app)...

I'm not saying I "steal" apps, just confirming that it's VERY easy to do so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I can use Internalz (an on-device file manager) to easily bypass any app's trial restrictions. It literally takes maybe 20 seconds... So yes, it is very easy to do what you are talking about (as long as it isn't a PDK app)...

I'm not saying I "steal" apps, just confirming that it's VERY easy to do so...
    Is that something that can be programmed around, or is it inherent in the architecture?
    Is that something that can be programmed around, or is it inherent in the architecture?
    I'm sure Palm could make it so it isn't possible, but there really isn't anything an app developer can do to prevent it. All the files are out in the open. This only applies to SDK apps though... You really can't get into a PDK app's source since it's compiled.
    As long as it's an app using the SDK (javascript) and is stand-alone (no server component), I know of no way around this.
    Who cares...

The big problem is with IP stealing, not piracy. Pirates stealth everything, not only Javascript apps. Ask IPhone devs...

-- Sent from my Palm %28Device%29 using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Who cares...
    Developers. Application store owners. Users, if the app is pirated enough to cause the developer to abandon it.

The big problem is with IP stealing, not piracy. Pirates stealth everything, not only Javascript apps. Ask IPhone devs...
    elopments.forums.beta]Forums Beta[/url][/i]
    Anything can be pirated. Some programs are easier to pirate than others. If a program is delivered with it's source, it's almost like sending cash in the mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    As long as it's an app using the SDK (javascript) and is stand-alone (no server component), I know of no way around this.
    The best way to prevent it would be to disguise the expiration checker as something else. That would only slow pirates down though... someone would find it eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Developers. Application store owners. Users, if the app is pirated enough to cause the developer to abandon it.

Anything can be pirated. Some programs are easier to pirate than others. If a program is delivered with it's source, it's almost like sending cash in the mail.
    You can always hide your important IP in a PDK plugin, or in a server.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

You can always hide your important IP in a PDK plugin, or in a server.
    That's why I qualified my statement with "as long as it is sdk and stand-alone".

The problem is you need to make sure there are important functionality that is not part of the javascript source. If it's only the authentication portion, it will be very easy to bypass.

There are also many issues with how Palm has done things. Some of their choices make it very easy to pirate even apps that rely on a server for security.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The best way to prevent it would be to disguise the expiration checker as something else. That would only slow pirates down though... someone would find it eventually.
    Yeah. Unfortunately, it's very trivial to find these.
    I sometimes think none of you guys have a clue how a business or the business world works in general.

MS has ALWAYS been MS, so it wasnt anything changes, etc for them to do except step up to the plate. I cant recall anyone here talking about the great MS's app catalog after they released those 2 lil phones (kil, kim or whatever they are called).

After this debacale, they seem to take Goolges approach with providing the OS to the phone makers. Their app catalog is their catalog.

While we Pre/Pixi/webOS folks had Palm challenging Apple, Google, MS, RIMM, etc. After realizing they were in trouble, a buyout took place that requires time, etc. Months later, HP have revived a strategic plan with the Palm division, and will do the same as Apple, MS and others as for marketing AFTER they got the devices they know the market wants.

MS didnt blast the world with those kins, kims or whatever from a marketing standpoint, but now that their roadmap is in place with the partnerships of the phonemakers, they are everywhere.

If you cant be patient for CES/early 2011, then HAUL **** to another phone, if you will ride it out (like me, since my phone works just fine), then 2011 is around the corner.
    According to the following link, it looks like if one has developed Silverlight, XNA, or the .NET Compact Framework, then it may be possible to port those apps to Windows Phone 7. However, it also looks like there are some pieces of the hardware that aren't available to the API yet.

Windows Phone 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Well, we just got passed at the 5,000 app mark:

http://wpcentral.com/windows-phone-7...-signs-slowing

Yippee!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12