Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So Windows Phone 7 devices are available in stores today after being announced in February. Who would have thought, at the time, that WP7 would beat the successor to the Pre to market in the US?
    Yea, I was really hoping Palm would have something out in the US by now.

Anyway, I really need to get some hands on experience with WP7. Those "squares" look dumb, but I'm sure they are actually very useful. (I've only seen screenshots of WP7. No videos...)
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Spent some time with the T-Mobile HD7 today and tonight will have a chance to use my brothers Surround. So far, I like what I see. Give me a WebOs phone with decent specs and I will be there.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I love webos to death, but I don't know what's going on with their priorities. We as webos users, and followers need to see more of positive development than hearing about it.
    Amazingly i noticed several windows phones availabile for order today

HTC HD7 Tmobile
    Samsung Focus AT&T
    HTC Surround AT&T
    Dell Venue TMobile
    LG Quantum up for preorder on Amazon.

i'm not getting a windows 7 phone but i think this is the power of licensing as opposed to just trying to make the hardware yourself. Plus when you're trying to pit one Pre 2 against like 20+ android phones and 10+ Windows phones i don't know how you can expect to compete unless the other platforms just stink it up. And i think they'll blow way past webos in terms of marketshare reasonably quickly. And for all this webos tablet talk i think the Samsung Galaxy is already out, obviously the ipad, but seems there Blackberry and android tablets will beat a webos tablet to market too. They look to be on the way to clearly falling behind. personally i don't give a rats *** about tablets though.
    Played around with 1 for an hour today. Still don't see the appeal at all.
    I have had a couple of opportunities to handle the HTC Surround and I have to admit, I like it. I didn't think that I would at all, but it's pretty cool in a weird way. One big advantage that they do have is they have a lot of big-time developers on board right away and almost have half of the # of apps as webOS, including things like Netflix, imDB, and games like Bejeweled and Flight Control. It'll be interesting to see what the next six months bring... hopefully some amazing hardware and more developer buy-in for our beloved operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Amazingly i noticed several windows phones availabile for order today

HTC HD7 Tmobile
    Samsung Focus AT&T
    HTC Surround AT&T
    Dell Venue TMobile
    LG Quantum up for preorder on Amazon.

i'm not getting a windows 7 phone but i think this is the power of licensing as opposed to just trying to make the hardware yourself. Plus when you're trying to pit one Pre 2 against like 20+ android phones and 10+ Windows phones i don't know how you can expect to compete unless the other platforms just stink it up. And i think they'll blow way past webos in terms of marketshare reasonably quickly. And for all this webos tablet talk i think the Samsung Galaxy is already out, obviously the ipad, but seems there Blackberry and android tablets will beat a webos tablet to market too. They look to be on the way to clearly falling behind. personally i don't give a rats *** about tablets though.
    I don't see WebOS beating anybody to market in terms of tablets or smartphones at this point, but that's not the worst thing. Windows Phone 7 has already taken a lot of steps to being the number three/four OS choice (You can argue that Blackberry will remain number three, but in terms of modern, touch-oriented OSes for developers to aim for, it's at the back of the pack).

Windows Phone 7 is already at (edit) 2000 apps. Even though they are just under half of the WebOS catalog, they already dwarf WebOS with big name apps like Netflix, ORIGINAL 3D games, Shazam, and so on. They got there in one month. We're at 18 months and counting. The (rather huge) retailer I work for already has the mobile team working on a WP7 app just as they are working on the Android one. WebOS hasn't even been mentioned for possibility. And I can tell you that our two biggest competitors are following the same path. By having a coordinated worldwide launch with lots of choices available on a variety of carriers, they will definitely outsell the 2 million or so WebOS users in mere weeks.

I really hope HP has a similar launch with agreements already in place for weeks after CES. This "in the coming months/soon" nonsense is doing them no favors. Nobody is standing still except for HP.
    Last edited by mikah912; 11/09/2010 at 10:35 AM.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah but Palm can always call no fair-sies because they ran out of money.
    Im buying one the second it comes to sprint. Im tired of waiting. Ive got 2 pres. My upgrade has been due for months, my wifes upgrade is due mid next year. Ill come back to HPalm when they release a superphone. Until then, WP7, here I come.
    I love the title of this thread. I didn't realize Ruby and Balmer were racing each other.
  12.    #12  
    I'm just pointing out the fact that way back in February Microsoft was announcing Windows Phone 7 and saying that they would be launched in the US by the end of the year. Palm was supposedly well into planning the next hardware iteration.

Who would have thought that Windows Phone 7 devices would be out in stores before the next Pre? Microsoft basically conceived and designed a smartphone operating system and their manufacturers got the hardware into stores in less time than Palm has taken to upgrade the Pre into the Pre 2. That's slow.

Yes, Microsoft was probably working on WP7 in the Fall of last year but the Pre was finished and released in June.
    Last edited by UntidyGuy; 11/09/2010 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I love the title of this thread. I didn't realize Ruby and Balmer were racing each other.
    Apparently neither does Ruby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    All electronics are always in a race. We all know that.

In the immortal words of ricky bobby:

"If you aint first, your last"
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm just pointing out the fact that way back in February Microsoft was announcing Windows Phone 7 and saying that they would be launched in the US by the end of the year. Palm was supposedly well into planning the next hardware iteration.

Who would have thought that Windows Phone 7 devices would be out in stores before the next Pre? Microsoft basically conceived and designed a smartphone operating system and their manufacturers got the hardware into stores in less time than Palm has taken to upgrade the Pre into the Pre 2. That's slow.

Yes, Microsoft was probably working on WP7 in the Fall of last year but the Pre was finished and released in June.
    While all of this may be so, Rahul Sood says that the window of opportunity never closes, so there.

Then again, this assumes that a window was open in the first place, and in the case of the Palm Pre 2 - I'm not sure that ever happened.
  16.    #16  
    Perhaps the window of opportunity never closes but it sure does narrow down a bit, doesn't it? Just like Rahul's pipeline of information does. Well, as long as Palm continues to come out with blazing innovation like a glass screen and 1 mhz processor after a year-and-a-half then they will kick that door wide open.
    In all fairness, WP7 was years in the making, and very, very late to market. WM6.5 was supposed to be WP7. Even if it had been it would still have been late.

Based on that schedule, HP can screw around for another year or so and still beat MS's time to market.
    You're forgetting that the majority of cell phone users aren't using smartphones yet and every one of them is going to want a webOS device when they finally make the leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You're forgetting that the majority of cell phone users aren't using smartphones yet and every one of them is going to want a webOS device when they finally make the leap.
    Don't forget that it is routine in other industries that when a market expands, companies that got no marketshare before are magically granted lots more because...you know...there's more people. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That sounds familiar... Where have I heard that before? Oh, yeah... That's what Palm was saying about the first Pre. I have seen the polls of what non-smartphone users say they want. It's not a Pre. Please show me any source that shows non-smartphone users wanting a Pre, as opposed to an iPhone or Droid. There is no such market, not even in France.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast