Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have been reading the WP7 webist. It would appear that 3 of the 4 WP7 luanch devices are completely sold out already.

That is pretty remarkable.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    that's just bogus. it may be all about hardware for you but not for everyone and not for me. it's all about the total package to me. people just don't want webos phones outside of precentral right now. And there weren't windows 7 phone out when that was done but they got above 1%. And yes they'll go up cause people are already buying a ton of phones, they seem to have great app support, and they already have a zune software to handle media transfers. it's got the potential to be a way better platform so far. Not to mention, unlike webos, the new windows is a drastic improvement from windows 6.5. WebOS and stacks has little wow. But this question is completely independent of hardware. To all of a sudden attribute the respondents decision to a lack of hardware when the survey clearly says what os do you want on your phone is just not logical. That assumes people can't read. it clearly says what OS do you want. They picked one. Webos just didn't do well. End of story. And there's zero hype for pre 2 so this idea that it's gonna change anytime soon i think is a bit crazy.
    It's surely not bogus to have less of an interest in an OS because of antequated hardware. You actually proved my point with your comment about wanting the full package (OS, Hardware, Apps).

Windows 7 will be a more popular OS due to hardware as well. That was the reason Microsoft took so much control over minimum specs.

Sure, you don't particularly like WebOs, which begs the question of why are even here? You must have some interest, albeit small, in what happens to WebOs.

You have to remember also that there has been little to no marketing of WebOs over the past 6-8 months. This will definitely depress value and interest.

New hardware with better specs with the Pre 2 at the low end with increase the WebOs numbers.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matts4313 View Post
    I have been reading the WP7 webist. It would appear that 3 of the 4 WP7 luanch devices are completely sold out already.

That is pretty remarkable.
    As long as each store received more than 4 total units.

4.    #44  
    The target audience for webOS has always been subject to whatever room there was to fit in among the competition.

Way back at the launch Ed Colligan implied that the iPhone OS was bloated because it was based on OSX, a desktop OS. That was when the iPhone 3G was a little slow on the UI. WebOS, designed from the ground up as a mobile OS was supposedly going to be more efficient.

The initial ad campaign with the creepy girl seemed to position the Pre as the anti-Blackberry smartphone for keyboard types.

Then Verizon got a hold of it and decided that the Pre was a mommy phone in contrast to the Droid which was a more masculine phone.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Stopped at AT&T today and saw the Sammy Focus and HTC Surround. My first thought when WP7 emulator was shown back when was why did they use such a small font for the clock, battery and throughout serveral parts of the UI? If you play with one, go to the calendar and look at how small the font is when you enter a meeting, for example. It seems that they used an unnecessrily small font in a lot of that UI.

Overall, I thought it was pretty slick and fluid. I would love to see WebOS 2.0 running on a fresh 1Ghz motor. I really think the overall look and feel of WebOS is more to my liking, but it's good to see MS bringing something new to the game.

C'mon Sprint SuperPalm!!

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    so tell me, all the webOS bashers on this thread...what will you do if webOS/palm/hp does fail? Who will you pick on then?

I like the iphone and my itouch, but something about apple turns me off...maybe it's that everyone has one?
    my wife's droid 2 is eh.
    I enjoyed my yr with windows mobile
    and can certainly enjoy winpho7.

I am in the minority...but guess what? When the next webOS device comes
    out, guess what I'm getting?

palm
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    so tell me, all the webOS bashers on this thread...what will you do if webOS/palm/hp does fail? Who will you pick on then?

I like the iphone and my itouch, but something about apple turns me off...maybe it's that everyone has one?
    my wife's droid 2 is eh.

palm

I'm with you. iPhone is nice and all, but I don't use my phone for entertainment apps and it's just kinda boring to see everyone and their uncle with one. I don't use my iPod Touch for anything more than a nice music player.
    I think the Droid Pro might be interesting since I prefer a keyboard, but not much else beyond that.
    WinMo has been very functional since I email so many work documents and need good calendar support. That's what's most intriguing about WP7 if it does this any better and certainly faster.
    At the end of the day, WebOS looks and feels like what I most want in a fast and powerful phone, but we've gotta do something about that battery life. Work travel is tough enough without watching the battery level all day.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.

my wife's droid 2 is eh.

palm
    To be honest, i don't know that many iphone users. Mostly android & dumbphones. But it wouldn't bother me if everyone i knew had iphones as it would actually improve things for me considering Facetime, for example, is iphone only. Those i do know with iphones (or androids really) aren't exactly techies.

In the end, get what appeals to you.

As for bashing HP/Palm, they deserve it so far. Especially from sprint users.
    at the end of the day, WebOS looks and feels like what I most want in a fast and powerful phone, but we've gotta do something about that battery life. Work travel is tough enough without watching the battery level all day.
    I've been messing with mode switcher to have data and wifi off when my screen is off, and on when on. It saves a lot of battery when it works, but ms isn't allways reliable.
    for bashing HP/Palm, they deserve it so far. Especially from sprint users.
    we bash because we care
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The target audience for webOS has always been subject to whatever room there was to fit in among the competition.

Way back at the launch Ed Colligan implied that the iPhone OS was bloated because it was based on OSX, a desktop OS. That was when the iPhone 3G was a little slow on the UI. WebOS, designed from the ground up as a mobile OS was supposedly going to be more efficient.

The initial ad campaign with the creepy girl seemed to position the Pre as the anti-Blackberry smartphone for keyboard types.

Then Verizon got a hold of it and decided that the Pre was a mommy phone in contrast to the Droid which was a more masculine phone.
    You are absolutely correct. One can definitely not separate the crappy advertising/marketing and the poor sales and excitement about future updates.

yeah I guess if I was a sprint user, I would be bashing palm as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    It's surely not bogus to have less of an interest in an OS because of antequated hardware. You actually proved my point with your comment about wanting the full package (OS, Hardware, Apps).

Windows 7 will be a more popular OS due to hardware as well. That was the reason Microsoft took so much control over minimum specs.
    it's a bogus argument cause it assumes a variable not relevant to the question. It asks what OS you want on your next phone. Plain and simple. That's regardless of hardware. It can be the best imaginable or the worst ever. The question answers are clear. They didn't have an interest in webos. You think it will change. How about this. I'll check back with you in say July of next year and we'll see how if "everybody" that doesn't have a smartphone wants webos. Which is precisely what the other poster said. And it ain't the hardware selling windows phones it's the O.S. right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Sure, you don't particularly like WebOs, which begs the question of why are even here?
    i'm stuck with a pre and a 2 year contract. Cause I feel like it. And i'm futily hoping that someday they'll fix all the crap that sucks with the phones like the music player. I need to know what has to be uninstalled when 2.0 comes out. It's a free country and a free forum not confined to only those that are Pre phanbois.
    if you don't like something you should be free to voice your opinion about it. There aren't bashers here. Lots of people bought the device and we'ren't thrilled or had expectations of a new device and weren't satisfied or expectations or platform growth at a certain rate and where disappointed. People should be free to voice their opinions. And people should have a dialog. What most people have said are facts. People just don't like hearing the facts. They just want to be told that it will all be ok. The truth is if they listened to some of the criticism long ago and adjusted, they'd have lots of satisfied customers and there'd be a lot less criticism of Palm's moves. Regardless i think it's just a discussion. I don't think i've heard anyone just making sensless statements like "It sucks" or similar thoughtless remarks.

You seem to be crusading against Apple. Like you bought a phone to make a personal statement. You bought a phone specifically to be different. Sort of "anti-establishment." I don't think that's the case for a whole lot of people. It's not for me. To me It's just a device. I'm not trying to make a big personal statement with my phone. I don't take it out and show people. I dont' discuss phones with my friends much at all. I don't get caught in tech crusades against companies. Personally i could care less about what happens to these companies.

out, guess what I'm getting? palm
    That's fine. you should get what you like and what you want. But if you don't like apple cause everyone has one. And you're touting being in the minority I don't think you can be too angry when the majority, don't buy what you buy or don't like the same phone. If Palm phones became popular and everyone bought them would you move on to another phone that nobody buys? I'd think that if nobody else likes it that's exactly what you'd want in a Pre. So the more people that don't want it the less it will be like apple. Personally i get a phone that fits my needs in a price range i can afford. What other people have doesn't directly enter the equation.
    i like webos and would like it to succeed but i just dont see it happening. i forsee it as just a small nich such as this community and thats it. i dont see any big devs jumping on the webos band wagon anytime soon.

even if palm/hp comes out with a kickass phone, i think it would still be nothing without big devs pumping out apps that consumers want and use.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    even if palm/hp comes out with a kickass phone, i think it would still be nothing without big devs pumping out apps that consumers want and use.
    blackmagic,

you can criticize palm all you want. I don't care. But do you post criticisms about other companies as much as what we see here at precentral? After a while, it gets tiring, and sometimes borders on ridiculous, which is why I come to it's defense. I don't understand the devotion to anti-webOS
    that some have. I don't go around to apple or android or blackberry sites criticizing away. If I don't like something I stick to what I like and what works for me. Like you said, people get the best device for themselves and and whatever is affordable for them.

re: apple, I really admire apple products and consider them the standard to which smartphones should be compared. However, some people want to be different. Some don't want the same iphone as everyone else. This is why you don't see everyone driving a mercedes or toyota car, and why android has been so successful.

this is a cross platform chat, so we all can have our opinions. Mine is that which is in the minority, the palm webOS platform and the pre is the best phone out there for me.

if webOS fails, I will get the next best smartphone with a keyboard on vzw. Whatever that company or OS may be.

this is just a reminder to those that come across this thread, that there are some that thoroughly enjoy webOS and see alot of untapped potential.
    blackmagic,

you can criticize palm all you want. I don't care. But do you post criticisms about other companies as much as what we see here at precentral? After a while, it gets tiring, and sometimes borders on ridiculous, which is why I come to it's defense. I don't understand the devotion to anti-webOS
    that some have. I don't go around to apple or android or blackberry sites criticizing away. If I don't like something I stick to what I like and what works for me. Like you said, people get the best device for themselves and and whatever is affordable for them.

re: apple, I really admire apple products and consider them the standard to which smartphones should be compared. However, some people want to be different. Some don't want the same iphone as everyone else. This is why you don't see everyone driving a mercedes or toyota car, and why android has been so successful.

this is a cross platform chat, so we all can have our opinions. Mine is that which is in the minority, the palm webOS platform and the pre is the best phone out there for me.

if webOS fails, I will get the next best smartphone with a keyboard on vzw. Whatever that company or OS may be.

this is just a reminder to those that come across this thread, that there are some that thoroughly enjoy webOS and see alot of untapped potential.
    There has been potential since day one, and 18 months later, it is still yet to be realized. That is precisely why people here are critical - or as you call it, "anti-WebOS".

And people are that way because they care about this platform. It's not because we get our jollies watching a company and platform we invested in go down in flames. It's because we cannot believe that Palm is making the same errors with underwhelming hardware, bad launches, and ultra-quiet developer outreach NOW that they did 18 months ago when they weren't backed by HP.

There is no excuse for them being lapped in sales and apps by Windows Phone 7 when they've had an almost two-year head start. You can cite 'Well, the merge put everything on hold..." all you like, but that merger was completed 4 months ago and they certainly were still open for business in the interim. This Palm Pre 2 "launch" (mostly rumors and "coming soon", ATM) is a bad joke.
    this is what I'm afraid might be happening.

"We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business" -Mark Hurd
    still happy with the pre plus
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast