Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    So, I have had the past hour or so to play with the T-Mobile HD7 and I wanted to post some initial thoughts -

Build - Wow! Very nicely put together phone. Solid in every way.

OS - What can I say, I was a WM user for a long time and then I tried a real OS using the Pre. That being said, this is not WM... at all. Smooth to the point of freakish, Windows Phone OS is awesome. Now, does it beat WebOS? Yes and no. Yes because the processor can handle the OS flawlessly, and no, because I don't have cards.

Social Media - Yeah, I thought WebOs handled integration well, but this is crazy nice. Some things to take away if I am creating WebOS 2.1.

Overall, as a Sprint customer, I have no WebOs choice at this point so all I can do is look elsewhere. This phone is the only thing that could tempt me away from Sprint, but I still can't/won't pull the trigger on moving until after CES 2011.

Come on Palm (HP)!!!!
    I spent about 30 minutes with a Samsung Focus (AT&T) today. I was a WinMo 6.x user (Touch Diamond), then went to Pre, then Android (Hero), now back to my Pre again (OC'd to 1Ghz ). I found the Focus to be an excellent device in the time I spent with it. Reports of crappy build quality seem to be total BS. I found it to be much more solid than my Hero. Felt and looked great IMHO. I also was surprised by how little I was bothered by the lack of fast app switching. The UI does such a great job of aggregating data into hubs that I felt I was able to perform a whole different kind of multitasking. The web browser was also excellent. It rendered pages much more accurately than the Pre and was really fast.

I'm on the same fence as you though. I'd like to wait to see what HP/Palm brings to CES. I also would prefer to stay away from AT&T and their terrible data plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionxxUSxx View Post
    There is currently no multi-tasking.
    Actually, first party applications and select 3rd party applications can multi-task in WP7. For example, you can start listening to Music via Zune, jump to your home screen, load up IE, start loading a heavy site, jump back to Zune - the whole time music will continue to play (with access to drop down controls by hitting the volume buttons), and when jumping out of IE the pages you started to load will continue to load. So basically, it's very similar to multitasking on a iOS4 device right now as far as limitations are concerned, but without any kind of pop-up UI element for fast app switching. A lot of this is made up for with the functionality of the back button, but I personally would still like to have a UI based element to easily jump between apps (even if their just in a suspended state).
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Actually, first party applications and select 3rd party applications can multi-task in WP7. For example, you can start listening to Music via Zune, jump to your home screen, load up IE, start loading a heavy site, jump back to Zune - the whole time music will continue to play (with access to drop down controls by hitting the volume buttons), and when jumping out of IE the pages you started to load will continue to load. So basically, it's very similar to multitasking on a iOS4 device right now as far as limitations are concerned, but without any kind of pop-up UI element for fast app switching. A lot of this is made up for with the functionality of the back button, but I personally would still like to have a UI based element to easily jump between apps (even if their just in a suspended state).
    +1

This actually made me start thinking. Flip 3D would actually have a use on WP7.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    I spent about 30 minutes with a Samsung Focus (AT&T) today. I was a WinMo 6.x user (Touch Diamond), then went to Pre, then Android (Hero), now back to my Pre again (OC'd to 1Ghz ). I found the Focus to be an excellent device in the time I spent with it. Reports of crappy build quality seem to be total BS. I found it to be much more solid than my Hero. Felt and looked great IMHO. I also was surprised by how little I was bothered by the lack of fast app switching. The UI does such a great job of aggregating data into hubs that I felt I was able to perform a whole different kind of multitasking. The web browser was also excellent. It rendered pages much more accurately than the Pre and was really fast.

I'm on the same fence as you though. I'd like to wait to see what HP/Palm brings to CES. I also would prefer to stay away from AT&T and their terrible data plans.
    I agree and had the same impression trying the Focus and Surround. I would not move to AT&T for either, but the HD7 Pro coming to Sprint in Jan or Feb is first on my list of known devices. Palm/Sprint? Hello?

I much prefer the HTC virtual keyboards in use on Android and even WinMo devices, with the longpress alternate keys. So handy, but apparently WP7 will not use them. Like iPhone keyboards, but the WP7 virtual kb is getting high praise from reviews.
    I think the MS Office features will be quite nice, especially when they get some updates pushed out in early '11.
    I think HTC Sense provides the best home screen info at a glance, but Sprint doesn't have the device that I want yet. Hope Jan/Feb turn out well.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I will say again that it is no WebOs, but I like it better than iOS.
    Agree. For me it will depend on the next palm hardware for Sprint. I bet I could live with an HD7 Pro.
    My works account manager organised us a trial of the HD7... and I sent it back early after using it for a week. Compared to webOS it just felt clunky to use. Clunky to use as in the way Android and iOS are - they just doen't flow the way webOS does when working with multiple apps. Also, it's huge! Each to their own though.
    I just got to play with the surround.

That phone is amazing. I loved it. The graphics are increible, it is silky smooth and I didnt hate the virtual keyboard, which is huge for me. The panoramic apps seemed so natural. It was really an easy phone to pick up and enjoy. Virtually no learning curve.

I was pretty sure that I was going to make the switch - now I am 100%. I dont see how Palm can make something better with out a major changes. But if they do - ive got another upgrade due in Nov, and Ill be right back.

Funny story though. While I was there, the guy was trying to sale me that the Epic was THE phone to have. We got in a huge debate about the pre vs andriod. After showing him all the homebrew stuff, he admitted that pre is/was a much better product than he thought.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12