Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    This is the second story I've read on Yahoo recently about smartphones:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ats-everything

The first article also praised Android phones like they were magical, and neither one made any mention of Palm or WebOS. It's annoying to read such an article, as WebOS needs to be given the respect it deserves. I've only owned my Pre for a month, but I absolutely love it (patched and all)! The only other platform I've owned was a Blackberry Curve, which is honestly a pathetic device when compared to the Pre.

I hope all of this changes, or at least improves, in the coming weeks and months as HP releases the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/08/2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: I added a usable link for the opening post
    webOS needs mindshare before articles will start taking it seriously. Maybe that will happend once HP gets things rolling. Only "buzz-worthy" OSes tend to be really considered in the majority of these articles. webOS is simply not buzz-worthy at the moment.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    WebOS is buzz worthy, but other hardware options are really what it needs. If they make a phone that devs want to own, they will develope for the platform. Pre and pixi are a good start, but add in a 3.7+in slab and a similar 3.7+in landscape slider, build them both to be light and solid. I think having 4 phones like this would get webOS moving in a foward direction on all fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    WebOS is buzz worthy, but other hardware options are really what it needs.
    webOS becomes buzz worthy when it impresses people outside of our circle. Right now, there really isn't much to talk about. Even JR admitted to "slower than expected adoption". If it's not being adopted, it really isn't anything to buzz about. They way I see it, it needs to be new or proven. webOS was new at one point and generated a lot of buzz. Since it's no longer new and so far has failed to prove itself to the masses, the buzz has dropped to almost zero. I don't think 2.0 is "new" enough so the bet is for it to finally "prove" the OS to the masses. I'm not sure if it will but I agree with you that better hardware might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    If they make a phone that devs want to own, they will develope for the platform. Pre and pixi are a good start, but add in a 3.7+in slab and a similar 3.7+in landscape slider, build them both to be light and solid. I think having 4 phones like this would get webOS moving in a foward direction on all fronts.
    Only correction I have here is that they need to make a phone that "customers" (not devs) want to own. Devs will develop for systems with demonstrable potential (i.e. an increasing consumer pool). Unfortunately, webOS' numbers are going in the wrong direction at the moment. That needs to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by zcsm9 View Post
    It's annoying to read such an article, as WebOS needs to be given the respect it deserves.
    It's getting all the respect it deserves. This is on cnn money. First the audience is investors and they are dealing with carriers that are making money and worthwhile investments largely. WebOS isn't flying off shelves and i think until it does it's an after thought. it's got paltry market share and zero mindshare as someone put it. So i think it's getting what it's sales merit.

Quote Originally Posted by zcsm9 View Post
    I hope all of this changes, or at least improves, in the coming weeks and months as HP releases the Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0.
    possibly but considering the luke warm reception the Pre 2 has gotten, not just on the web but on this very site, by certain carriers, and WebOS 2.0's lack of wow factor i don't see that coming.

Regardless i think this is pointless to be bent out of shape cause nobody mentioned your choice of phone.

Comparing operating systems is just a stupid pi551ng contest. I mean every O.S. has it's strengths and weaknesses. You can line IOS or Android against like Webos or Windows 7 mobile or something else and there are clear places where they win.

But honestly I don't remotely think WebOS wants to be mentioned on that list when you look at what was mentioned. In many of these areas does webos beat Android? Not for my money. The following are what are listed in the article:

1. Maps/Navigation Lose. only one option on my sprint pre.
    2. Notification bar Win. i'll throw a bone and say Webos beats android but it's a matter of preference.
    3. Widgets Lose. None on webos
    4. Carrier Choice Lose. Pre 2 not on Sprint.
    5. Hotspots Tie. my hacked one works
    6. Screen Size Selection Lose. One choice: Tiny.
    7. Voice Actions Lose. Don't exist
    8. Browser speed Tie. And just to be nice i'll ignore that 4G is gonna load faster regardless.
    9. More/Better Buttons Lose. It's got less buttons and like my power button they are poorly made and are broken.
    10. Google Voice Lose. App doesn't really work and Androids better at it.

That's being generous. And WebOS wins 1. Ties on 2. And loses in 7 areas. Personally i don't think you want WebOS to be mentioned by that article.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Only correction I have here is that they need to make a phone that "customers" (not devs) want to own. Devs will develop for systems with demonstrable potential (i.e. an increasing consumer pool).
    Totatlly agree. i know there are developers here and a bunch of techy people that are digging in webos for code. And like people care about stuff like "developer day" tell me this is a very developer centric community. But at the end of the day it's not devleopers that matter it's consumers. And even then the issue is not "developers".

The issue is companies. Companies don't want to make webos apps and that's the real problem. and there will always be new companies coming along. And 3rd party developers are never going to pick of the slack and in many cases just can't. Like i saw an ad for a chase iphone app. It accesses your account and takes pictures of checks and deposits them in your account. Like you can have as many developers as you want but i don't think you're getting that app for webos unless Chase decides to make it cause only chase is going to allow you access to your account info. LIke i'm sure someone misses the point and says you need camera apis. not the point. Point is it's confidential info and camera api or not Chase is controlling access to it. It's not developers you need to impress. You need to impress Chase. And maybe chase has an webos app, i don't know but there are plenty of banks that don't. And that is the case for every category. What's stopping Tom Tom from making a navigation app? Or Comcast making a DVR controller app? How come my 49ers don't have a webos app? Or Ebay? etc. etc. etc. Personally i think it's simple, cause they don't want to. That's HP's job to make them want to make the app. Companies not just developers.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/08/2010 at 02:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Here is the URL since the user doesn't have the ability to post a link

ways-android-beats-everything: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Does it really blow everybody else when it comes to notifications? I have to disagree strongly here.
    Respect is earned, not deserved. No product is entitled to respect. When wOS first came out, it was given an unprecedented amount of respect by reviewers who overlooked its flaws, and gave it credit for its potential. They were hoping it would be the anti-iPhone.

Reviewers and pundits were simply embarrassed by what wOS turned out to be. Now, with the exception of a few in the media, wOS has to prove itself convincingly before anyone goes out on a limb for it again. There a plenty who will, but the OS and the products running it, have to be exceptional. For that product, reviewers are still standing by.
    I agree with those that say webOS is kind of irrelevant now. But at the same time, it IS a platform that the author is ignoring. No reason to include the "everything else" tag because now webOS can be brought up.

Notifications? It can be argued that palm's is preferred.

He goes to great lengths to make "more buttons" one of his 10 ways android is better. Really? Others i thought he overstepped on. Multiple carriers? lol Maps? I prefer Navigon on iOS. No data use and no worries. Fastest browser? Again, that's subjective. Google voice? That's a google app and i'd argue its hardly mainstream. May as well bring up mobileme, another niche.

What HP needs to do with webOS doesn't matter. How well the Pre has done in sales doesn't matter. This author took it upon himself to write a dumb article listing 10 things that android was better at ....than anything else out there. And he reached.

I could probably write one regarding Palm or iOS and list 10 easily. iOS might be more like 20+ things easily.

Palm's?

Quickly...

1. visual multitasking or cards
    2. stacks (maybe it shouldn't be separate but it stands out now)
    3. synergy. Webos wins easily.
    4. integrated sms/chat/facebook
    5. facebook app..perhaps the best one. If you bring up google voice, then this is surely game.

6. Just type
    7. quick actions
    8. notifications. Beats everything else..lol
    9. hotspot. Verizon's is free. Trumps android and palm had it first? (i think..shoot me if i'm wrong)
    10. touchstone
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    synergy. Webos wins easily.
    I don't think it does anymore - motoblur et al. seem to do anything that synergy does.

facebook app..perhaps the best one.
    I believe that it now lacks features that were added to all the other clients with the major announcement last week? so it's now out of date. Also looking at the chat over at facebook about the app, it seems you can't see comments about pictures you've uploaded while in the app, you have to load the browser instead? is this correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    But honestly I don't remotely think WebOS wants to be mentioned on that list when you look at what was mentioned. In many of these areas does webos beat Android? Not for my money. The following are what are listed in the article:

1. Maps/Navigation Lose. only one option on my sprint pre.
    2. Notification bar Win. i'll throw a bone and say Webos beats android but it's a matter of preference.
    3. Widgets Lose. None on webos
    4. Carrier Choice Lose. Pre 2 not on Sprint.
    5. Hotspots Tie. my hacked one works
    6. Screen Size Selection Lose. One choice: Tiny.
    7. Voice Actions Lose. Don't exist
    8. Browser speed Tie. And just to be nice i'll ignore that 4G is gonna load faster regardless.
    9. More/Better Buttons Lose. It's got less buttons and like my power button they are poorly made and are broken.
    10. Google Voice Lose. App doesn't really work and Androids better at it.

That's being generous. And WebOS wins 1. Ties on 2. And loses in 7 areas. Personally i don't think you want WebOS to be mentioned by that article.

blackmagic01 - you took the words right off of my keyboard!
    While I personally love webOS, it has a way to go to catch Android. Even if and when we get new hardware and APIís, webOS will probably never catch Android as far as user base and popularity because we started too late and we will be restricted to one manufacture. Some functionality will improve but it will take time and as webOS improves Android and other OS will be evolving also.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I added a usable link for the opening post.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    blackmagic01 - you took the words right off of my keyboard!
    While I personally love webOS, it has a way to go to catch Android. Even if and when we get new hardware and APIís, webOS will probably never catch Android as far as user base and popularity because we started too late and we will be restricted to one manufacture. Some functionality will improve but it will take time and as webOS improves Android and other OS will be evolving also.
    I think catching it's competitors is a long shot at best, especially when, as i see on engadeget Windows 7, (personally not fond of) is available in the U.S. on 3 different phones. Windows Phone 7 now on sale in the US -- Engadget Edit: wrong. according to the Dell site there are 4 Windows 7 phones on sale now. And i'm sure more to come but if are basically launching with a couple phones, i can see them going right past webos and soon. W7 isn't my cup of tea but they seem to have strong support and they'll probably sell a lot of phones. And when they are already releasing phones way way faster then HP if i were to bet i'd bet webos falls farther back unless, before xmas they start pumping out phones that clearly beat the top phones in terms of hardware and software features. I don't see it happening though.