1.    #1  
    TiPb has done a very thorough walkthrough with video of iOS 4.2 on the iPad. I have been using the GM since a couple of days after it came out, so I am adding my personal review. Depending on when the pPad comes out, this is what it will be competing against. The same is true for the GTab, and everything else coming out before April.

I will not say much about the TiPb walkthrough because you can read all about it in the link I have already provided. I can summarize my impressions by saying I am in 100% agreement with them.

Running 4.2, the iPad is a brand new device. It is still wicked fast, but now is more efficient with fast app switching and third-party multi-tasking. Everybody who follows such things knows that the iPad has a bad case of ram anemia. But, that hasn't slowed down the performance. There has been a big question mark of how it would handle more multi-tasking duties.

The verdict is in. It feels like Apple snuck more ram into the device. Web pages hold their place, games stay put. It works as it is supposed to work, and that is better that one would expect it to work. Performance is a pleasant surprise.

It is nice to be able to throw my sound to the various speakers I have in my house with AirPlay everywhere. I have not found the orientation lock switch to be a problem. For those who don't know, it is no longer a hardware switch, and is now a software toggle. I have also found the new mute switch to be quite useful.

There are a lot of little touches that I will not go into, here. I will just say that there has been a lot of attention to detail, and it shows. 4.2 has taken a great user experience to the next level. None of the new or enhanced features has hurt performance or usability. Apple did a lot of under-the-hood engineering to make sure that was the case. There is nothing that feels, rushed, tacked-on, or haphazardly thrown together.

For those who have an iPad, 4.2 is at the GM stage, which is likely binary identical to the final release. It is easy to come by and carries no risks. Feel confident in acquiring and installing it. For those not comfortable with torrents and the like, I suspect the official release is right around the corner. I would be interested in hearing from others who are using it.

As for competitors, the road just got a lot rockier. Apple is not sitting still. If Apple makes an equally big advance in the next hardware/software update, would-be competitors may want to head back to the drawing board now.
    I've had 4.2 since the beta was released and love it. It really turns the iPad into a full fledged computing device. Once everyone gets it they are going to fall in love with their iPads all over again.

If anyone has any questions about it let me know.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Have they started pushing through multitasking updates for third party apps yet? I'm curious about how third party multitasking will feel from your perspective, Dan, since you use both an iPhone 4 and an iPad running iOS 4.2.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Have they started pushing through multitasking updates for third party apps yet? I'm curious about how third party multitasking will feel from your perspective, Dan, since you use both an iPhone 4 and an iPad running iOS 4.2.
    Third party multi-tasking is one of those things that if you never had it, you don't see the point of it. Once you have it, there is no going back. It changes everything.

Yes, third party apps have started showing up 4.2 ready. I suspect that just as there was a flood of 4.2 apps for the iPhone when it was released, the same will be true for the iPad. I'm guessing that is why Apple has taken so long to release it. The first beta was probably stable enough to release it, but there was no developer support. Now there is.

Hopefully, this unification release marks the beginning of iPhone/iPad unification from this point on. I suspect it will take people a little while to catch on to the new way of using the device. It seems only now that people are starting to figure out the multitasking in the iPhone. For a lot of non-techies, the new feature will go unnoticed for at least a few weeks. As for the rest of us, night and day.
    It sounds like this will go a long way towards addressing the multitasking problem.

Are they addressing the notifications problems? In past versions notificaitons were pop-up that locked out the screen until you dismissed or acted on them. Are they now small reminder icons like webOS or Android that you can ignore until later but they stay on screen?

Will iOS get Synergy where apps can share data like webOS and Android? Where your calendar can see other apps like Facebook and include events and such in your main calendar, etc.?

Will iOS get something like Just Type or Android Search where you can specify which apps the search will include? Will search include the internet just as another app like the others do?

Will iOS add wireless syncing like you can do with webOS and Android?

I think the one feature in 4.2 I am most excited about is actually MIDI. I love the commercial where some guitar effects are shown.

- Craig
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It sounds like this will go a long way towards addressing the multitasking problem.

Are they addressing the notifications problems? In past versions notificaitons were pop-up that locked out the screen until you dismissed or acted on them. Are they now small reminder icons like webOS or Android that you can ignore until later but they stay on screen?

Will iOS get Synergy where apps can share data like webOS and Android? Where your calendar can see other apps like Facebook and include events and such in your main calendar, etc.?

Will iOS get something like Just Type or Android Search where you can specify which apps the search will include? Will search include the internet just as another app like the others do?

Will iOS add wireless syncing like you can do with webOS and Android?

I think the one feature in 4.2 I am most excited about is actually MIDI. I love the commercial where some guitar effects are shown.

- Craig
    I always wondered what passive aggressive meant. Now I know. When you put it that way, Apple should just give up now, as all those things you mentioned are clearly what the consumers care most about.

The one thing Apple does need to do something about is the notification system. From day one, it has been horrendous! The fact that it just interrupts whatever you happen to be doing and requires you to stop and deal with it is unconscionable. At this point, it is my only real point of frustration with iOS. But, like the vast majority of consumers, it is not nearly enough to make me want to switch to something else.
    Yeah the notification system hasn't changed. Still annoying as hell. But like Dan said 4.2 is a great update and most of the third party apps I use already have multitasking added. Jump desktop is a big one for me because I can remote into a system, switch to another app, then switch back into Jump desktop and I am still connected to the session. Before this I would have to reconnect each time which was a PITA.

The of course you have the little things like Pandora running in the background, my RSS reader being on the same story when I move around the OS. It's an awesome update and really makes the iPad a wonderful little computer. Apple did a great job IMO.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo