1.    #1  
    We know that there is no such thing as the perfect OS for everyone, but if you could build the perfect mobile OS today based on a combination of the current mobile OSes, which features would you include? This is not about hardware, or marketing or this OS vs that one. It is meant only to talk about the features we think the current OSes do well, what should be improved upon, etc.

For example, I'd love an OS with full API's like iOS and Android. I'd love to have a blend of webOS's notifications and Android notifications. I like that Android's notifications never take up any screen real estate but love how you can dismiss single notifications on webOS. I'd like a combination of webOS' card metaphor (not sure I want stacks though) and Android's memory management. Give me Android's and iOS's fluid transitions and combine it with webOS' consistent UI. I also like Android's installation process where it tells you exactly what security privileges each app needs before you install (but improve it). Also, give me Androids ability to replace pretty much any app.

What would your perfect OS include?

Please, please, please, no "[OS name] is already perfect!" comments. Please.
    Let's not turn this into a battle of OS's... we already have a ton of those threads happening you can join in on. This thread is basically personal opinions of what would make up the perfect OS. Lets keep it on that and not start a battle please.

Thanks

<<thread cleansed>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/07/2010 at 08:22 PM.
    all put together. A preference choice of your home screen: webos, win pho 7, android and variations of skins, ios. All api's from iphone and android.
    So it would basically be an iwebOSdroid7
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The bulk of android OS with webOS cards multi-tasking,notifications, gesture area, universal search/just type and the overall simplicity of the ui. Then throw in apples web browser(with flash) and music player. Then meld both ios's and androidOS's app cats together.

I know you said OS, but hardware in a slightly smaller 'epic' like phone would be amazing in this package, to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    yup. Homebrew should put that tgether for me lol. Jk!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    iWebroid7?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    iWebroid7?
    they make a cream for that
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    We know that there is no such thing as the perfect OS for everyone, but if you could build the perfect mobile OS today based on a combination of the current mobile OSes, which features would you include? This is not about hardware, or marketing or this OS vs that one. It is meant only to talk about the features we think the current OSes do well, what should be improved upon, etc.

For example, I'd love an OS with full API's like iOS and Android. I'd love to have a blend of webOS's notifications and Android notifications. I like that Android's notifications never take up any screen real estate but love how you can dismiss single notifications on webOS. I'd like a combination of webOS' card metaphor (not sure I want stacks though) and Android's memory management. Give me Android's and iOS's fluid transitions and combine it with webOS' consistent UI. I also like Android's installation process where it tells you exactly what security privileges each app needs before you install (but improve it). Also, give me Androids ability to replace pretty much any app.

What would your perfect OS include?

Please, please, please, no "[OS name] is already perfect!" comments. Please.
    WEBOS!! OH YEA!

Nah, I joke. My perfect mobile OS would be easy to use, expandable and customizable. I don't care about features smeatures, because you should be able to expand and let developers develop your platform. I honestly think we should buy hardware and choose an OS to go on it. The OS would be free, and the company who makes the OS makes money from the App's you buy (and therefore, adding functionality to your phone).

This will never happen, though. But that would be the best!
    I'm with the OP. All I need is all of the android and iOS api's, and a way to hide notifications without discarding them (ala android). Also I want Palm to ressurect the Mojo Messenger Service idea. If all apps had access to something like this, it would mean wonderd for battery life.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Also I want Palm to ressurect the Mojo Messenger Service idea. If all apps had access to something like this, it would mean wonderd for battery life.
    Ooooh, I forgot about that! Definitely put Android's or iOS' push notifications (or Mojo Messenger) in the mix. Probably could benefit from BBOS with this as well.
    The Perfect Mobile OS starts with the carrier you want, on the phone you want, with the apps you want, and finally the features you want. Users do not buy a Mobile Operating System. They buy phones and tablets that do what they want.

Carriers
    Requirements for the perfect Mobile OS begin with the word "mobile." The perfect Mobile OS must be available through your carrier. Who cares what a phone OS can do if you are locked into a contract with another carrier? The OS has to be on the top dozen carriers in the world and the 5 primary carriers in the US: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular.

Hardware
    The Perfect Mobile OS has to be available on whatever hardware users want. No one cares how good an OS is if the hardware is limited. Just like an auto maker, a phone OS needs sub-compacts (3.1"), mid-size (3.7"), and SUV's (4.0"+), and trucks (tablets). All but the tablets need great cameras with auto-focus, zoom, and high res. It needs high def screens, HD recording and HD output.

Apps
    The Perfect Mobile OS is just a life support system for the apps. For me, it's app market needs 153 apps, the ones I like. The practicality is that in order to have enough versions that there are ones perfect for me, it would appear that you need about 100,000 or more total apps. There would have to be amazing Keyboards, Music Players, Email, Internet, and Messaging. And it would need Folders as good as the Treo 600 had in 2003.

Speed
    The Mobile OS has to be able to open Google Maps, Facebook, and other Apps almost instantly. A great CPU cannot make up for code that is not optimized.

Multitasking
    You have to be able to listen to music, start typing an email, get a Facebook Friend request, accept it, get a text, reply to it, have a calendar pop-up, look at it, and go right back where you left off in the email. This is not really multitasking but time sharing and state saving but the users just want to get their stuff done. Some may want to do this by hand so let them have cards. For the rest just do it so that they never have to think about it.

Visual Task Switcher - - - - _ _ _ _- Itching Thumb --

Notifications
    Notifications have to stay on screen until you chose to ignore them or take action. Until you take action, the notification must wait patiently. And they cannot take up any screen space so put them in the Status bar:

It Has to Listen
    The Perfect Mobile OS would have to be able to listen and do what it's told. When you are driving you cannot legally Just Type in most states. You have to be able to just talk as well. And it has to understand like Voice Actions does.

Widgets
    webOS actually does have one widget: the Calendar app icon updates to show the date. Widgets let you see settings at a glance, latest email, or Facebook updates, game scores, and so much more without having to open an app. Once you have them it is hard to imagine them taken away.

Customizable
    Being customizable is a double-edged sword. Take away all the best options and it is really easy to set up and use. Give the user freedom of choice and you end up with hundreds of options. So you need to keep the top level as clean as possible but allow the user to drill down and change almost anything without having to root the phone.

Rooting
    The nerd market is at most 5% of your customers. Give them enough options and apps so that few will see any need to root. Still there will be those that want to customize everything. You may get some of your best ideas from them. If you won't listen to them, someone else might.

All the rest...
    There are thousands of other factors to consider but from the users perspective, it has to start with at least doing the basics.

Everything above is what my EVO does today. I trust that HP/Palm will get there too and so I own a Pre as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/08/2010 at 04:40 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Milo,

Other than Android being perfect for you, what would you (if you could) include from some of the other OSes out there?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Milo,

Other than Android being perfect for you, what would you (if you could) include from some of the other OSes out there?
    Android is far from perfect. But it does the basic things incredibly well for a typical user. Gingerbread is going to improve the User Interface as it rolls out over the next few weeks. The Honeycomb UI early next year will be the one designed by the webOS interface architect.

There are a list of minor things that I would love to have change in Android.

I would love being able to swipe away email listings I don't want to read like I can in webOS. Yes, batch delete is built into Android but swiping is fun. I get a childish delight in flicking away spam.

Similarly, I love the webOS Browser patch that allows swiping away history. I would like to be able to swipe forward or back in the Android browser too. Yes, I can just tap Back. It is just more fun to swipe.

I would also like to be able to swipe away texts in a conversation to clean out the thread.

Also, DanPLC vs. the 30 Android Music Players is not a fair fight. The 30 should just go home now. Android has nothing that even comes close to Music Player (Remix). But remember that Palm has refused to allow Remix to be published for over a year now so it is only the 5% who Homebrew who have Remix.

Also, Android is open market so you don't patch, you place. webOS is not open source so you can only patch but the good thing is that many of the patches can be layered.

There are 100 times as many people creating ROM's and themes but it feels like more of a community here.

Creating a theme with the webOS Homebrew theming tools is so simple. It is not as simple create a theme in Android but is not that hard either.

More than anything else I love the Pre's Touchstone. Yes, PowerMat does the same thing but I like the Touchstone better.

Granted the typical user will never know or care about these things but I do.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/08/2010 at 05:13 PM.
    @milo

your description of the perfect mobile OS a few posts back is spot on.

one thing i'd and in terms of UI is the need to be 3 dimensional. ILd like to have cards (and stacks) rotate like a cylinder or stack up like albums do on the ipod touch or the way windows aero lets you scroll through windows diagonally. That would be helpful for optimizing these tiny screens. Gestures should spin thinks rather than just slide things on two dimensions.

the part of webOS that feels out of dste to me is how two-dimentional it feels.
    Do we have any idea if the designer geeks from Palm/Hp read these forums, or do you think they just base their new products on consumer reports future market need analysis?
    1998-Pilot, 2003-Zire, 2008-Centro, 2010-Pre...?