1.    #1  
    My buddy recently got an Evo 4G and I'm starting to look on with envy as I don't have any new WebOS products and a very lacking app catalog compared to what he has access to. I'm even getting to the point of coming down with gotta-get-it-itis.

For myself when comparing WebOS and Android, Android just isn't as fun. There are a number of things that WebOS has/does even with patches that first of all Android is only playing catchup, or it doesn't easily let you change the option (using verizon droid can't change calendar colors...at least from my experience).

I've seen a number of posts of people switching, coming back or staying and saying pros/cons about it but have a couple of questions. Do developers allow migrating apps if I purchased for the Pre and they are available on Droid as well or do I need to repurchase them. What other things both good and bad are there when making a change? I know there are a hundred posts out there to read but after x-many posts in the threads they all start looking the same. Thanks
    must repurchase apps.
    milominderbinder has some pretty good guides and comparisons posted. I'd start with those. I haven't heard of any developer that allows you to freely switch between the same app on different OSes, but maybe some exist. Personally, I've found the Android Market to be excellent when it comes to choices but it depends on the apps you are looking for. I suggest coming up with your personal list of needs/wants and then search both the Android Market and the App Catalog online and see which one provides you with better options. In general, pick your carrier, pick your requirements (apps and hardware) then pick the device that meets those needs. Android vs webOS "in general" may not necessarily mean anything to you "specifically". So figure out what you need, then pick the one that provides them.
    evo will cost you 10 more per month.

new hotness from palm will come to sprint soon. Your friend will be jealous of you.
  5.    #5  
    I'm planning on seeing what CES brings, but like a lot of other Sprint Pre users if they don't have something great and start getting the app support I may be reluctantly jumping ship for my phone but will be getting the tablet.
    Not to get too off-topic, but am I the only one who hates the $10/month surcharge for 4G on Sprint. Is T-Mobile doing that for their 4G (more like 3.5G) network?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Unfortunately it's that or tiered data plans. Pick your poison.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    milominderbinder has some pretty good guides and comparisons posted. I'd start with those...
    Thanks for the shout out.

I did similar guides for the Pre when it came out because there were so many misconceptions about webOS. See my signature below.

Here are starting places for the Android guides.

Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android

Getting Started with Android - Tips and Tricks

It's like going from one car to another. The cruise control is in a different place. The hood release is different.

But imagine if Palm listened to us and included hundreds of our patches and patch requests.

Well, Palm was not listening to us but Android did include a zillion as options.

The great thing is this is a zillion options that you can pick and choose.

The bad thing is that this is a zillion options to go through.

The guides walk you through. The first one shows you where to find your webOS stuff in Android. Once you are set up, it is really straight forward.

I own both the Pre and the EVO and like them both.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/05/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    That's one of the things i'm disappointed with Palm about. We've made so many patches that greatly improve the webOS experience and they just ignore us. We even did all the work! How hard would it be for them to include it in a webOS release?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's one of the things i'm disappointed with Palm about. We've made so many patches that greatly improve the webOS experience and they just ignore us. We even did all the work! How hard would it be for them to include it in a webOS release?
    Imagine if it had been Palm who had liked all your patches instead of Google...
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    My buddy recently got an Evo 4G and I'm starting to look on with envy as I don't have any new WebOS products and a very lacking app catalog compared to what he has access to. I'm even getting to the point of coming down with gotta-get-it-itis.

For myself when comparing WebOS and Android, Android just isn't as fun. There are a number of things that WebOS has/does even with patches that first of all Android is only playing catchup, or it doesn't easily let you change the option (using verizon droid can't change calendar colors...at least from my experience).

I've seen a number of posts of people switching, coming back or staying and saying pros/cons about it but have a couple of questions. Do developers allow migrating apps if I purchased for the Pre and they are available on Droid as well or do I need to repurchase them. What other things both good and bad are there when making a change? I know there are a hundred posts out there to read but after x-many posts in the threads they all start looking the same. Thanks
    Like many have said it really depends on your preference and what you're looking for. I've had both (I now have an EVO). My quick observations:

-There is a learning curve when going to Android from WebOS. Android isn't as fluid as WebOS, but then again nothing really is.

-EVO's hardware blows the doors off the Pre. I recently sent my Pre to my little cousin and after using the EVO, the Pre felt like a toy. The large screen makes the multimedia experience, browsing, email MUCH better.

-The Android Market is very impressive. Lots of "core" quality apps the app catalogue just doesn't have. I was never a big app guy until I switched to the EVO and realized the options.

You are right, Android isn't as "fun" as WebOS. But the EVO really does do everything a smartphone is supposed to do. Towards the end of my tenure with the Pre, I started getting frustrated with all the things it didn't do, bad hardware, and didn't like that I had to patch the hell out of it do to do what a smartphone is supposed to do. My advice, try out the EVO for 30 days and if you don't like it, bring it back and see if HPalm has a better offering at CES 2011. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    based on the PC review of 2.0, it looks like they have started incorporating patches. For example, there will be named pages, add pages. Also, exhibition will set the stage for mode switching. I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind.

there are many more they need to add, but I'm confifent that they are planning to.