Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I dropped all my Treos regularly. From heights up to 1.5m and they kept working perfectly, be it somewhat scratched and dinged. I think dropping devices simply goes with using them a lot. I don't like cases, becasue they are so fattening. So, I like my Pre classic (too soon?). But I am worried about the glass on the Pre2 even if it's made out of Gorillas.
    Besides, I am seeing a lot of iPhones and iPods with busted glass still being used. I even saw one dropped on the street from a height that my Treo would just shrug off, but that iPhone made that nasty crispy broky sound.

I have seen four people use broken iPhones and iPods (though admittedly: not iPhone 4) in the last month. How many have you seen?

Bonus poll:
    Glass: Yeah or Nee?
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    None of the iPhones are made of gorilla glass. And I've seen an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buis View Post
    I dropped all my Treos regularly. From heights up to 1.5m and they kept working perfectly, be it somewhat scratched and dinged. I think dropping devices simply goes with using them a lot. I don't like cases, becasue they are so fattening. So, I like my Pre classic (too soon?). But I am worried about the glass on the Pre2 even if it's made out of Gorillas.
    Besides, I am seeing a lot of iPhones and iPods with busted glass still being used. I even saw one dropped on the street from a height that my Treo would just shrug off, but that iPhone made that nasty crispy broky sound.

I have seen four people use broken iPhones and iPods (though admittedly: not iPhone 4) in the last month. How many have you seen?

Bonus poll:
    Glass: Yeah or Nee?
    your treo didn't have a flush screen. Glass screens break and so do plastics ones.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Never had a cracked screen on iphone. But then again, i've never really dropped one to find out..:P

That said, i've seen enough Pre's with cracked screens that weren't due to dropping. Especially around the USB area.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/04/2010 at 07:02 PM.
    Any phone you drop sucks. I dropped my iPhone 3Gs onto a concrete floor. Chipped the upper left corner of the screen. But, that wasn't the worst. Dropping the phone actually broke the GPS radio.

To make a short story, the cosmetic impact of dropping the phone may not be your worst problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Never had a cracked screen on iphone. But then again, i've never really dropped one to find out..:P

That said, i've seen enough Pre's with cracked screens that weren't due to dropping.
    This happened to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buis View Post
    Have you any idea how many millions of iPhones there are out there? Four cracked screens does not equal an epidemic. Have you any idea how many well connected people there are who would love to start up controversy over broken iPhone screens? If there were an actual problem, you wouldn't need to start this thread about it.

What is the point of this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Have you any idea how many millions of iPhones there are out there? Four cracked screens does not equal an epidemic. Have you any idea how many well connected people there are who would love to start up controversy over broken iPhone screens? If there were an actual problem, you wouldn't need to start this thread about it.

Of course 4 screens isn't a epidemic, but that's just asking ONE person.

iPhone 4 Glass Breaking at Alarming Rate, But There's a Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    To bash the iPhone but disguise it as concern for the new Pre's glass screen. It's fortunate the Pre has a very good track record in terms of defects. Otherwise, this thread would be ironic.
    This is from a insurance company popular with iphone users:

iphone4-glass-study | SquareTrade Warranties
    I believe iPhone four and iPod 4 are only iOS devices with gorilla glass, and that is breakable but not easily, I think it's purpose is more about being scratch resistant
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I believe iPhone four and iPod 4 are only iOS devices with gorilla glass, and that is breakable but not easily, I think it's purpose is more about being scratch resistant
    What would you consider "easily"?
    OP, please give some reason why the iPhone screen is important to you. What is your point? Are you saying the Treo was built better than the iPhone? They don't even make the Treo anymore. How is that relevant to anything?

Are you saying that since the iPhone has such a fragile screen, the Pre shouldn't have a similar screen? Are you saying that since the iPhone has sooo many problems, the Pre is great by comparison? All of these things are absurd, but I need to know which of these absurd things to mock.

I suspect that some people are getting a bit antsy and nervous about the P2, and have to work off some of that nervous energy by picking a useless fight. Perhaps a nice mod will come along and close this thread.

I will end with my usual charge. Love what you love, and let go of the rest.

Good night, all.
    I have the Motorola Droid and it has a glass screen and it has never broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydenrobins08 View Post
    Same here. Neither did my Droid X nor my iPhone 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    This is from a insurance company popular with iphone users:

iphone4-glass-study | SquareTrade Warranties
    Yes, and here is the "translation" of their headline from the article posted earlier in this thread:
    Here’s the real world translation: In its sample groups of about 20,000 iPhone owners, SquareTrade actually found that 3.9% of iPhone 4s suffered broken glass in the first four months, in contrast to 2.1% with the iPhone 3GS. Sounds a lot less dramatic doesn’t it?
    Indeed. But "83% more likely to break" gets more people to create threads and quote you. Picking on another device will not make the Pre any better than it already "isn't".
    Guy I work with used an Iphone 3GS for months with a broken front glass. Another got his IPhone4 and in the first week broke the back glass when he missed his pocket and dropped it on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yes, and here is the "translation" of their headline from the article posted earlier in this thread:Indeed. But "83% more likely to break" gets more people to create threads and quote you. Picking on another device will not make the Pre any better than it already "isn't".
    Whoa.. Slow down.. I don't understand how this turned to an iphone hate thread...

I believe the OP is voicing his concern about the fragility of gorilla glass..

#1 it has NOT been confirmed by apple or by Gorilla Glass manufacturer that they are indeed using Gorilla Glass.. This was inferred and later made as truth.. But it's not fact. (im not bashing iphone 4, I just like facts)

That being said.. Many ppl drop their phones, whether they be iphones , pres, droids..

Yes Glass breaks.. But gorilla glass (if it is in fact gorilla glass, I haven't heard anyone from hp or palm confirm it yet) will break with enoigh pressure or hit at the right spot.

I'll give you a scary ex... If a person happens to find themselves in a car that's submerged (please this is fact) the advice is NOT to attempt kicking the windied or windows as this is futile with the amount of pressure being places on the glass... Rather, it has been found and suggested that one take a pointy object and stab at the glass..
    Result Cracked and destroyed window/winsheild.

Why am I posting this.. Bc all glass will break if nocked on the right spot and with the right tool.

Cause for alarm? No
    The glass is sunken partially, protected by a bezel and it will help with the touch sensitivity of the screen.

So take it as you will. I don't see so many iphones or androids Plagued by broken glass... This is a non issue

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Ask the BBC reporter to test the screen for us, just like the video below:
    Palm IIIe > Sony S300 > Sony N700 > Sony TG50 > Sony TH55 > Trēo 680 > Palm Prē > Palm Prē 2 (GSM) + Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydenrobins08 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Same here. Neither did my Droid X nor my iPhone 3G.
    The above means little. Mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Yes, and here is the "translation" of their headline from the article posted earlier in this thread:Indeed. But "83% more likely to break" gets more people to create threads and quote you. Picking on another device will not make the Pre any better than it already "isn't".
    I just posted an article. It's up to the reader to discern the facts. I made no negative comment on the iPhone, that was your assumeption.

From a multiphone, multibrand
    owner (user support and all that), which includes iPhone 3 and 4. Ok to jump back in your pants.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast